Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. WR position

WR position

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
98 Posts 13 Posters 1.7k Views 1 Watching
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • nickersN nickers

    @dutch-oven said:

    I don’t think Downs would be rolling the dice, he’s an amazing prospect. 
     

    But man alive we need offense soooo bad. We will have three picks in the top 40 overall, and I want all three to be offensive players, preferably OLine and WR(s).

    When I say rolling the dice.. I'm not underscoring Downs on Talent.. I'm just saying from a team perspective that "okay".."Let's bypass the safe pick(QB)" Which most pundits would predict the Browns would do.. With Downs.. you get a blue chip player who could have a major impact on your team despite the need on Offense,,, I have always been a champion of take BPA.. I think it makes more impact.. While there is no sure way to mecca.. I wonder what the percentages of teams are who go that route have more immediate success...

    calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
    • 64k Posts
    • 8k Reputation
    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @nickers said:

    When I say rolling the dice.. I'm not underscoring Downs on Talent.. I'm just saying from a team perspective that "okay".."Let's bypass the safe pick(QB)" Which most pundits would predict the Browns would do.. With Downs.. you get a blue chip player who could have a major impact on your team despite the need on Offense,,, I have always been a champion of take BPA.. I think it makes more impact.. While there is no sure way to mecca.. I wonder what the percentages of teams are who go that route have more immediate success...

    Caleb Downs is a dynamic player addition for any team in the NFL.

    It's tough to bypass his talent. They could trade up to get an OT, then go WR in the 2nd round. Then OG in the 4th round, then trade back up into the late fourth round and select Mark Gronkowski.  

    Having said that, I have to mention my former projected 1st round pick, Drew Allar. lol

       I thought he would dramatically grow in '25, but Penn St struggled, he got injured, now he is a late day two or day three pick.

       Yes, Tom Brady was a sixth round pick. Dak Prescott was a fourth rounder.Brock Purdy was the last pick in that draft. Gronkowski may surprise people.

    1 Reply Last reply
    👍
    Quote Reply
    • nickersN nickers

      @dutch-oven said:

      Top 5 overall though?

      I like Tate, but I just don’t know if he’s worth that high of a pick. 

      Yeah... I get what your saying.. Id rather have Smith based on over all talent and production.. But Smith is only 6'0'.. Not holding it against him... But.. Considering the room..  The Browns are in that "Beggars can't be choosers" mode. And will smith be there..Unless we secure 1st or the 2nd pic at seasons end... The Oline and WR for me takes precendent.. I'm willing to roll with Sanders and Gabriel next year and if neither pan out.. Id love to go after Sayin... But with this off season looming in to obscurity... There's no real telling where the Browns are going.. I'm pretty sure Stef and Ventrones bags are packed on stand by...

      EDIT: Would you roll the dice with Caleb Downs at the first pic?.. I would rather have potential talent like that than Ronnie Hickman.. Then just go offense the rest of the draft...

      syd sydS Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
      • 7k Posts
      • 3k Reputation
      sydS syd wrote on last edited by
      #19

      @nickers said:

      Yeah... I get what your saying.. Id rather have Smith based on over all talent and production.. But Smith is only 6'0'.. Not holding it against him... But.. Considering the room..  The Browns are in that "Beggars can't be choosers" mode. And will smith be there..Unless we secure 1st or the 2nd pic at seasons end... The Oline and WR for me takes precendent.. I'm willing to roll with Sanders and Gabriel next year and if neither pan out.. Id love to go after Sayin... But with this off season looming in to obscurity... There's no real telling where the Browns are going.. I'm pretty sure Stef and Ventrones bags are packed on stand by...

      EDIT: Would you roll the dice with Caleb Downs at the first pic?.. I would rather have potential talent like that than Ronnie Hickman.. Then just go offense the rest of the draft...

      we will be drafting in the top 5 in 27 also, so i would draft carefully this year to build up a team, trade the fuck down if we can this year to secure picks in the 27 draft (better QB'S ?) cause we fucking suck and are at least two drafts away from being a 9-7 club

      nickersN 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • sydS syd

        @nickers said:

        Yeah... I get what your saying.. Id rather have Smith based on over all talent and production.. But Smith is only 6'0'.. Not holding it against him... But.. Considering the room..  The Browns are in that "Beggars can't be choosers" mode. And will smith be there..Unless we secure 1st or the 2nd pic at seasons end... The Oline and WR for me takes precendent.. I'm willing to roll with Sanders and Gabriel next year and if neither pan out.. Id love to go after Sayin... But with this off season looming in to obscurity... There's no real telling where the Browns are going.. I'm pretty sure Stef and Ventrones bags are packed on stand by...

        EDIT: Would you roll the dice with Caleb Downs at the first pic?.. I would rather have potential talent like that than Ronnie Hickman.. Then just go offense the rest of the draft...

        we will be drafting in the top 5 in 27 also, so i would draft carefully this year to build up a team, trade the fuck down if we can this year to secure picks in the 27 draft (better QB'S ?) cause we fucking suck and are at least two drafts away from being a 9-7 club

        nickers nickersN Conversation Starter Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
        • 14k Posts
        • 5k Reputation
        nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
        #20

        @syd said:

        we will be drafting in the top 5 in 27 also, so i would draft carefully this year to build up a team, trade the fuck down if we can this year to secure picks in the 27 draft (better QB'S ?) cause we fucking suck and are at least two drafts away from being a 9-7 club

        Depends on whose the coach next year and what our off season haul is like..

        Nickers...."There are no old running QB's in the NFL "~Sam Rutigliano~
        sydS 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • nickersN nickers

          @orion said:

          Truly heartwarming to see you two carrying on a football conversation as Browns football fan brothers...which is what we all are, despite our differences.

          MY thoughts on the offense / defense thing for this offseason:

          I want an offensive minded HC.   He and his OC have to understand that being able to pass the ball effectively is paramount to nfl football.  

          I want the HC & GM to address the offense, QB, OL, WR, ferociously.  Using every tool they have the money to use (FA costs $, we have Watson, so mostly the draft).

          Having said all that, and addressing all that, then look for a Safety.  A CB.  And wouldn't it be nice to have another really good DT and or Edge rusher?

          - A team is no fun to watch if it can't move the ball on offense.  And we're no fun at all.  Even with polarizing & dynamic Shedeur Sanders at QB. -  

          I'm totally with you on a Offensive mindest at HC... Defensive HC's tend to be close to the vest conservative on offense... How does Kliff Kingsbury grab you?

          Orion OrionO Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 9k Posts
          • 4k Reputation
          OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
          #21

          @nickers said:

          How does Kliff Kingsbury grab you?

          Dunno.  I'd have to research him.

          BEING A BROWNS FAN IS A TEST TO SEE HOW MUCH YOU CAN TAKE
          nickersN sydS 2 Replies Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • nickersN nickers

            @syd said:

            we will be drafting in the top 5 in 27 also, so i would draft carefully this year to build up a team, trade the fuck down if we can this year to secure picks in the 27 draft (better QB'S ?) cause we fucking suck and are at least two drafts away from being a 9-7 club

            Depends on whose the coach next year and what our off season haul is like..

            syd sydS Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 7k Posts
            • 3k Reputation
            sydS syd wrote on last edited by
            #22

            @nickers said:

            Depends on whose the coach next year and what our off season haul is like..

            if we stick with the qb's we have and not drafting a qb in 26 then i am keeping Stefanski, But if we draft a qb in 26 (stupid) then i would want a new coach to go along with him

            Dutch OvenD 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • OrionO Orion

              @nickers said:

              How does Kliff Kingsbury grab you?

              Dunno.  I'd have to research him.

              nickers nickersN Conversation Starter Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
              • 14k Posts
              • 5k Reputation
              nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
              #23

              @orion said:

              Dunno.  I'd have to research him.

              He coached the Cardinals a few seasons ago and was ultimately a victim of Kylar Murray..  He wouldn't be my first choice.. But he comes from a background of offense..

              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kliff_Kingsbury

              Nickers...."There are no old running QB's in the NFL "~Sam Rutigliano~
              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • OrionO Orion

                @nickers said:

                How does Kliff Kingsbury grab you?

                Dunno.  I'd have to research him.

                syd sydS Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 7k Posts
                • 3k Reputation
                sydS syd wrote on last edited by
                #24

                @orion said:

                Dunno.  I'd have to research him.

                how about this guy

                Sherrone Moore 

                1 Reply Last reply
                😂
                Quote Reply
                • nickersN nickers

                  @dutch-oven said:

                  I don’t think Downs would be rolling the dice, he’s an amazing prospect. 
                   

                  But man alive we need offense soooo bad. We will have three picks in the top 40 overall, and I want all three to be offensive players, preferably OLine and WR(s).

                  When I say rolling the dice.. I'm not underscoring Downs on Talent.. I'm just saying from a team perspective that "okay".."Let's bypass the safe pick(QB)" Which most pundits would predict the Browns would do.. With Downs.. you get a blue chip player who could have a major impact on your team despite the need on Offense,,, I have always been a champion of take BPA.. I think it makes more impact.. While there is no sure way to mecca.. I wonder what the percentages of teams are who go that route have more immediate success...

                  Dutch Oven Dutch OvenD Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 15k Posts
                  • 8k Reputation
                  Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
                  #25

                  @nickers said:

                  When I say rolling the dice.. I'm not underscoring Downs on Talent.. I'm just saying from a team perspective that "okay".."Let's bypass the safe pick(QB)" Which most pundits would predict the Browns would do.. With Downs.. you get a blue chip player who could have a major impact on your team despite the need on Offense,,, I have always been a champion of take BPA.. I think it makes more impact.. While there is no sure way to mecca.. I wonder what the percentages of teams are who go that route have more immediate success...

                  I'll never be upset if the Browns take the best player available, even if it isn't a great need, but...

                  The OLine as of today concerning 2026 is a dumpster fire. Let's consider the Browns Opening Week OLine, shall we?

                  LT: Dawand Jones Finished his third NFL season with his third consecutive season-ending injury.
                  LG: Joel Bitonio Almost retired after last season. Free agent after season concludes.
                  Center: Ethan Pocic Free agent after season concludes.
                  RG: Wyatt Teller Free agent after season concludes.
                  RT: Jack Conklin Has missed more time as a Brown than has played. Free agent after season concludes. 

                  And it gets worse. Who on the roster now is anyone convinced can capably step in and replace these starters next season? Maybe Luke Wypler? Anyone else?

                  If the Browns stood pat and took Caleb Downs, I'd be content in the knowledge that the Browns got themselves a helluva player.

                  But man alive, the Browns have to massively overhaul their OLine, and they don't have the cap space most likely to do it with free agents. That means the draft.

                  In a perfect world, the Browns IMO would end up a top 2 pick, trade down again like they did last season, pick up another nice second round pick this season and a high pick next draft and then start taking the highest ranking OLinemen and WRs they could in Rounds 1 and 2. Unless the Browns end up with the #1 overall pick, I don't want a QB, and I don't want the Browns trading draft capital to move up to get Mendoza. If he falls into our lap, great.

                  If not, invest heavily in the OLine and WR early, maybe two of each in their first two picks... and roll with Shadeur next season. 

                  FlugelF nickersN 2 Replies Last reply
                  👍
                  Quote Reply
                  • OrionO Orion

                    @nickers said:

                    Luke Floreia is also a local product from the Mentor area I believe..

                    He's a midget.  5'8`   So is Lavardain, 5'8.    Don't we have any big kids?  🙂  

                    Flugel FlugelF Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 11k Posts
                    • 6k Reputation
                    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
                    #26

                    @orion said:

                    He's a midget.  5'8`   So is Lavardain, 5'8.    

                    That never gets old!

                    I welcome the only Defensive Coordinator to earn a Superbowl Ring in New Orleans while understanding Revenge of the Nerds is a sequel. "Come get some!"
                    OrionO 1 Reply Last reply
                    😂
                    Quote Reply
                    • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven

                      @nickers said:

                      When I say rolling the dice.. I'm not underscoring Downs on Talent.. I'm just saying from a team perspective that "okay".."Let's bypass the safe pick(QB)" Which most pundits would predict the Browns would do.. With Downs.. you get a blue chip player who could have a major impact on your team despite the need on Offense,,, I have always been a champion of take BPA.. I think it makes more impact.. While there is no sure way to mecca.. I wonder what the percentages of teams are who go that route have more immediate success...

                      I'll never be upset if the Browns take the best player available, even if it isn't a great need, but...

                      The OLine as of today concerning 2026 is a dumpster fire. Let's consider the Browns Opening Week OLine, shall we?

                      LT: Dawand Jones Finished his third NFL season with his third consecutive season-ending injury.
                      LG: Joel Bitonio Almost retired after last season. Free agent after season concludes.
                      Center: Ethan Pocic Free agent after season concludes.
                      RG: Wyatt Teller Free agent after season concludes.
                      RT: Jack Conklin Has missed more time as a Brown than has played. Free agent after season concludes. 

                      And it gets worse. Who on the roster now is anyone convinced can capably step in and replace these starters next season? Maybe Luke Wypler? Anyone else?

                      If the Browns stood pat and took Caleb Downs, I'd be content in the knowledge that the Browns got themselves a helluva player.

                      But man alive, the Browns have to massively overhaul their OLine, and they don't have the cap space most likely to do it with free agents. That means the draft.

                      In a perfect world, the Browns IMO would end up a top 2 pick, trade down again like they did last season, pick up another nice second round pick this season and a high pick next draft and then start taking the highest ranking OLinemen and WRs they could in Rounds 1 and 2. Unless the Browns end up with the #1 overall pick, I don't want a QB, and I don't want the Browns trading draft capital to move up to get Mendoza. If he falls into our lap, great.

                      If not, invest heavily in the OLine and WR early, maybe two of each in their first two picks... and roll with Shadeur next season. 

                      Flugel FlugelF Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                      • 11k Posts
                      • 6k Reputation
                      FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
                      #27

                      @dutch-oven said:

                      I'll never be upset if the Browns take the best player available, even if it isn't a great need, but...

                      The OLine as of today concerning 2026 is a dumpster fire. Let's consider the Browns Opening Week OLine, shall we?

                      LT: Dawand Jones Finished his third NFL season with his third consecutive season-ending injury.
                      LG: Joel Bitonio Almost retired after last season. Free agent after season concludes.
                      Center: Ethan Pocic Free agent after season concludes.
                      RG: Wyatt Teller Free agent after season concludes.
                      RT: Jack Conklin Has missed more time as a Brown than has played. Free agent after season concludes. 

                      And it gets worse. Who on the roster now is anyone convinced can capably step in and replace these starters next season? Maybe Luke Wypler? Anyone else?

                      If the Browns stood pat and took Caleb Downs, I'd be content in the knowledge that the Browns got themselves a helluva player.

                      But man alive, the Browns have to massively overhaul their OLine, and they don't have the cap space most likely to do it with free agents. That means the draft.

                      In a perfect world, the Browns IMO would end up a top 2 pick, trade down again like they did last season, pick up another nice second round pick this season and a high pick next draft and then start taking the highest ranking OLinemen and WRs they could in Rounds 1 and 2. Unless the Browns end up with the #1 overall pick, I don't want a QB, and I don't want the Browns trading draft capital to move up to get Mendoza. If he falls into our lap, great.

                      If not, invest heavily in the OLine and WR early, maybe two of each in their first two picks... and roll with Shadeur next season. 

                      LAND HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  

                      I welcome the only Defensive Coordinator to earn a Superbowl Ring in New Orleans while understanding Revenge of the Nerds is a sequel. "Come get some!"
                      sydS 1 Reply Last reply
                      😂
                      Quote Reply
                      • FlugelF Flugel

                        @dutch-oven said:

                        I'll never be upset if the Browns take the best player available, even if it isn't a great need, but...

                        The OLine as of today concerning 2026 is a dumpster fire. Let's consider the Browns Opening Week OLine, shall we?

                        LT: Dawand Jones Finished his third NFL season with his third consecutive season-ending injury.
                        LG: Joel Bitonio Almost retired after last season. Free agent after season concludes.
                        Center: Ethan Pocic Free agent after season concludes.
                        RG: Wyatt Teller Free agent after season concludes.
                        RT: Jack Conklin Has missed more time as a Brown than has played. Free agent after season concludes. 

                        And it gets worse. Who on the roster now is anyone convinced can capably step in and replace these starters next season? Maybe Luke Wypler? Anyone else?

                        If the Browns stood pat and took Caleb Downs, I'd be content in the knowledge that the Browns got themselves a helluva player.

                        But man alive, the Browns have to massively overhaul their OLine, and they don't have the cap space most likely to do it with free agents. That means the draft.

                        In a perfect world, the Browns IMO would end up a top 2 pick, trade down again like they did last season, pick up another nice second round pick this season and a high pick next draft and then start taking the highest ranking OLinemen and WRs they could in Rounds 1 and 2. Unless the Browns end up with the #1 overall pick, I don't want a QB, and I don't want the Browns trading draft capital to move up to get Mendoza. If he falls into our lap, great.

                        If not, invest heavily in the OLine and WR early, maybe two of each in their first two picks... and roll with Shadeur next season. 

                        LAND HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  

                        syd sydS Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                        • 7k Posts
                        • 3k Reputation
                        sydS syd wrote on last edited by
                        #28

                        @flugel said:

                        LAND HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  

                        FlugelF 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • FlugelF Flugel

                          @orion said:

                          He's a midget.  5'8`   So is Lavardain, 5'8.    

                          That never gets old!

                          Orion OrionO Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 9k Posts
                          • 4k Reputation
                          OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
                          #29

                          @flugel said:

                          That never gets old!

                          We're playing NFL tackle football here.  I don't have much use for 5'8 guys.  Next year the team isn't ordering Youth size jerseys for players, so Larvadain, Floria and Gabriel can go become jockeys or IndyCar drivers.   🙂  

                          BEING A BROWNS FAN IS A TEST TO SEE HOW MUCH YOU CAN TAKE
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          😂
                          Quote Reply
                          • sydS syd

                            @nickers said:

                            Depends on whose the coach next year and what our off season haul is like..

                            if we stick with the qb's we have and not drafting a qb in 26 then i am keeping Stefanski, But if we draft a qb in 26 (stupid) then i would want a new coach to go along with him

                            Dutch Oven Dutch OvenD Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                            • 15k Posts
                            • 8k Reputation
                            Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
                            #30

                            @syd said:

                            if we stick with the qb's we have and not drafting a qb in 26 then i am keeping Stefanski, But if we draft a qb in 26 (stupid) then i would want a new coach to go along with him

                            I agree. 
                             

                            The last thing I want to see is a rookie QB rushed into the field because the head coach is desperate to keep his job. 

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven

                              @nickers said:

                              When I say rolling the dice.. I'm not underscoring Downs on Talent.. I'm just saying from a team perspective that "okay".."Let's bypass the safe pick(QB)" Which most pundits would predict the Browns would do.. With Downs.. you get a blue chip player who could have a major impact on your team despite the need on Offense,,, I have always been a champion of take BPA.. I think it makes more impact.. While there is no sure way to mecca.. I wonder what the percentages of teams are who go that route have more immediate success...

                              I'll never be upset if the Browns take the best player available, even if it isn't a great need, but...

                              The OLine as of today concerning 2026 is a dumpster fire. Let's consider the Browns Opening Week OLine, shall we?

                              LT: Dawand Jones Finished his third NFL season with his third consecutive season-ending injury.
                              LG: Joel Bitonio Almost retired after last season. Free agent after season concludes.
                              Center: Ethan Pocic Free agent after season concludes.
                              RG: Wyatt Teller Free agent after season concludes.
                              RT: Jack Conklin Has missed more time as a Brown than has played. Free agent after season concludes. 

                              And it gets worse. Who on the roster now is anyone convinced can capably step in and replace these starters next season? Maybe Luke Wypler? Anyone else?

                              If the Browns stood pat and took Caleb Downs, I'd be content in the knowledge that the Browns got themselves a helluva player.

                              But man alive, the Browns have to massively overhaul their OLine, and they don't have the cap space most likely to do it with free agents. That means the draft.

                              In a perfect world, the Browns IMO would end up a top 2 pick, trade down again like they did last season, pick up another nice second round pick this season and a high pick next draft and then start taking the highest ranking OLinemen and WRs they could in Rounds 1 and 2. Unless the Browns end up with the #1 overall pick, I don't want a QB, and I don't want the Browns trading draft capital to move up to get Mendoza. If he falls into our lap, great.

                              If not, invest heavily in the OLine and WR early, maybe two of each in their first two picks... and roll with Shadeur next season. 

                              nickers nickersN Conversation Starter Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
                              • 14k Posts
                              • 5k Reputation
                              nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers
                              #31

                              @dutch-oven said:

                              I'll never be upset if the Browns take the best player available, even if it isn't a great need, but...

                              The OLine as of today concerning 2026 is a dumpster fire. Let's consider the Browns Opening Week OLine, shall we?

                              LT: Dawand Jones Finished his third NFL season with his third consecutive season-ending injury.
                              LG: Joel Bitonio Almost retired after last season. Free agent after season concludes.
                              Center: Ethan Pocic Free agent after season concludes.
                              RG: Wyatt Teller Free agent after season concludes.
                              RT: Jack Conklin Has missed more time as a Brown than has played. Free agent after season concludes. 

                              And it gets worse. Who on the roster now is anyone convinced can capably step in and replace these starters next season? Maybe Luke Wypler? Anyone else?

                              If the Browns stood pat and took Caleb Downs, I'd be content in the knowledge that the Browns got themselves a helluva player.

                              But man alive, the Browns have to massively overhaul their OLine, and they don't have the cap space most likely to do it with free agents. That means the draft.

                              In a perfect world, the Browns IMO would end up a top 2 pick, trade down again like they did last season, pick up another nice second round pick this season and a high pick next draft and then start taking the highest ranking OLinemen and WRs they could in Rounds 1 and 2. Unless the Browns end up with the #1 overall pick, I don't want a QB, and I don't want the Browns trading draft capital to move up to get Mendoza. If he falls into our lap, great.

                              If not, invest heavily in the OLine and WR early, maybe two of each in their first two picks... and roll with Shadeur next season. 

                              I'm in the same place you are.. I'm just acknowleding I wouldnt be surprised if hes the selection... But yeah.. Its O line then WR... Then we really need to take a long hard look at ST's... its the difference between winning and losing games.....

                              Nickers...."There are no old running QB's in the NFL "~Sam Rutigliano~
                              Dutch OvenD 1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • sydS syd

                                @flugel said:

                                LAND HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  

                                Flugel FlugelF Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                • 11k Posts
                                • 6k Reputation
                                FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
                                #32

                                @syd said:

                                Well done Syd. Morrison had some of the best think outside the box lyrics back in the day.  BUT, I was thinking more in the line of Yukon Cornelius.

                                I welcome the only Defensive Coordinator to earn a Superbowl Ring in New Orleans while understanding Revenge of the Nerds is a sequel. "Come get some!"
                                1 Reply Last reply
                                😂
                                Quote Reply
                                • nickersN nickers

                                  @dutch-oven said:

                                  I'll never be upset if the Browns take the best player available, even if it isn't a great need, but...

                                  The OLine as of today concerning 2026 is a dumpster fire. Let's consider the Browns Opening Week OLine, shall we?

                                  LT: Dawand Jones Finished his third NFL season with his third consecutive season-ending injury.
                                  LG: Joel Bitonio Almost retired after last season. Free agent after season concludes.
                                  Center: Ethan Pocic Free agent after season concludes.
                                  RG: Wyatt Teller Free agent after season concludes.
                                  RT: Jack Conklin Has missed more time as a Brown than has played. Free agent after season concludes. 

                                  And it gets worse. Who on the roster now is anyone convinced can capably step in and replace these starters next season? Maybe Luke Wypler? Anyone else?

                                  If the Browns stood pat and took Caleb Downs, I'd be content in the knowledge that the Browns got themselves a helluva player.

                                  But man alive, the Browns have to massively overhaul their OLine, and they don't have the cap space most likely to do it with free agents. That means the draft.

                                  In a perfect world, the Browns IMO would end up a top 2 pick, trade down again like they did last season, pick up another nice second round pick this season and a high pick next draft and then start taking the highest ranking OLinemen and WRs they could in Rounds 1 and 2. Unless the Browns end up with the #1 overall pick, I don't want a QB, and I don't want the Browns trading draft capital to move up to get Mendoza. If he falls into our lap, great.

                                  If not, invest heavily in the OLine and WR early, maybe two of each in their first two picks... and roll with Shadeur next season. 

                                  I'm in the same place you are.. I'm just acknowleding I wouldnt be surprised if hes the selection... But yeah.. Its O line then WR... Then we really need to take a long hard look at ST's... its the difference between winning and losing games.....

                                  Dutch Oven Dutch OvenD Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                  • 15k Posts
                                  • 8k Reputation
                                  Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
                                  #33

                                  @nickers said:

                                  I'm in the same place you are.. I'm just acknowleding I wouldnt be surprised if hes the selection... But yeah.. Its O line then WR... Then we really need to take a long hard look at ST's... its the difference between winning and losing games.....

                                  Honestly when it comes to value it makes sense if they took Downs.

                                  I really liked last year's first round. I'm not feeling this year's first round. 

                                  If the Browns end up with a top 5 pick (I have this feeling we might beat Cincinnati) this draft does not match up well with our needs regarding that pick. I'm not loving any of these WRs to draft them that high. The three top OTackles are guys I'm hearing are better as a Right Tackle or with the Miami kid as a guard. I don't like taking tackles top 5 that aren't Left Tackles. 

                                  Saying all this, I'm starting to think the Browns will go balls to the wall to get Mendoza or Moore if he comes out. Sitting at say #4 overall and taking a need seems like quite the reach. 

                                  FlugelF nickersN 2 Replies Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven

                                    @nickers said:

                                    I'm in the same place you are.. I'm just acknowleding I wouldnt be surprised if hes the selection... But yeah.. Its O line then WR... Then we really need to take a long hard look at ST's... its the difference between winning and losing games.....

                                    Honestly when it comes to value it makes sense if they took Downs.

                                    I really liked last year's first round. I'm not feeling this year's first round. 

                                    If the Browns end up with a top 5 pick (I have this feeling we might beat Cincinnati) this draft does not match up well with our needs regarding that pick. I'm not loving any of these WRs to draft them that high. The three top OTackles are guys I'm hearing are better as a Right Tackle or with the Miami kid as a guard. I don't like taking tackles top 5 that aren't Left Tackles. 

                                    Saying all this, I'm starting to think the Browns will go balls to the wall to get Mendoza or Moore if he comes out. Sitting at say #4 overall and taking a need seems like quite the reach. 

                                    Flugel FlugelF Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                    • 11k Posts
                                    • 6k Reputation
                                    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
                                    #34

                                    @dutch-oven said:

                                    Honestly when it comes to value it makes sense if they took Downs.

                                    I really liked last year's first round. I'm not feeling this year's first round. 

                                    If the Browns end up with a top 5 pick (I have this feeling we might beat Cincinnati) this draft does not match up well with our needs regarding that pick. I'm not loving any of these WRs to draft them that high. The three top OTackles are guys I'm hearing are better as a Right Tackle or with the Miami kid as a guard. I don't like taking tackles top 5 that aren't Left Tackles. 

                                    Saying all this, I'm starting to think the Browns will go balls to the wall to get Mendoza or Moore if he comes out. Sitting at say #4 overall and taking a need seems like quite the reach. 

                                    Logical thinking Dutch; but hear me out for a second.  The thing that really concerns me that you pointed out is that a lot of top tackles in this draft are either RTs or thought to be OGs at the next level.  Another guy - Utah's Caleb Lomu has started 2 years already at LT as a red shirt soph; but he's considering staying at Utah (if so, some are already projecting him as the #1 LT in the 2027 draft).  

                                    As for the QB - the NYJ have 5 first round picks combined in 2026 & 2027 plus a second round pick each year that they'll caress & belly rub the Raiders with.  This franchise can't afford to compete with that given how many parts of the team are missing quality starters and depth imo.  Winning the trade-up for the top QB looks to favor the Jets bigtime here.  The convenience of the draft rarely seems to coincide with the biggest needs of this team.  I got me a horrible feeling this FO really believes Dawand Jones is really gonna return to triple pre-injury form and take his profession serious for the very 1st time.  I've read the 1st WR on Kiper's board gets the dropsies at times; but I wouldn't mind another team taking that bait so we consider another top receiver like Tate if WR is the way they go first.  My biggest worry about the OT being weak due to volume is that if we want a starting caliber upgrade - waiting til a mid round seems risky. Truth is RT is a big need too if we ever want to run outside the guards with any consistency while pass pro on both edges is a need.  TJ Watt lines up over RTs so whatever falls on our draft slots we gotta get.  

                                    I don't know if Moore is a big enough upgrade over Sanders if at all.  Much like the numbers Gabriel put up at the same school - the OL in Cleveland as we speak is a culture shock for our rookie QBs as well as Flacco this year. We have to lose out and get lucky to land Mendoza. That's just 1 knucklehead's opinion.

                                    I welcome the only Defensive Coordinator to earn a Superbowl Ring in New Orleans while understanding Revenge of the Nerds is a sequel. "Come get some!"
                                    OrionO 1 Reply Last reply
                                    ❤
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven

                                      @nickers said:

                                      I'm in the same place you are.. I'm just acknowleding I wouldnt be surprised if hes the selection... But yeah.. Its O line then WR... Then we really need to take a long hard look at ST's... its the difference between winning and losing games.....

                                      Honestly when it comes to value it makes sense if they took Downs.

                                      I really liked last year's first round. I'm not feeling this year's first round. 

                                      If the Browns end up with a top 5 pick (I have this feeling we might beat Cincinnati) this draft does not match up well with our needs regarding that pick. I'm not loving any of these WRs to draft them that high. The three top OTackles are guys I'm hearing are better as a Right Tackle or with the Miami kid as a guard. I don't like taking tackles top 5 that aren't Left Tackles. 

                                      Saying all this, I'm starting to think the Browns will go balls to the wall to get Mendoza or Moore if he comes out. Sitting at say #4 overall and taking a need seems like quite the reach. 

                                      nickers nickersN Conversation Starter Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
                                      • 14k Posts
                                      • 5k Reputation
                                      nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers
                                      #35

                                      @dutch-oven said:

                                      Honestly when it comes to value it makes sense if they took Downs.

                                      I really liked last year's first round. I'm not feeling this year's first round. 

                                      If the Browns end up with a top 5 pick (I have this feeling we might beat Cincinnati) this draft does not match up well with our needs regarding that pick. I'm not loving any of these WRs to draft them that high. The three top OTackles are guys I'm hearing are better as a Right Tackle or with the Miami kid as a guard. I don't like taking tackles top 5 that aren't Left Tackles. 

                                      Saying all this, I'm starting to think the Browns will go balls to the wall to get Mendoza or Moore if he comes out. Sitting at say #4 overall and taking a need seems like quite the reach. 

                                      Yeah.. My fear is I just don't trust the guys pickin' the groceries for this team... This past draft was a rare anomaly... Jonah Hill tucked it between his loins and high tailed out of CLE to DEN. So now that the Analytics guru has left dodge.. Maybe whoever will be the dude pickin' the talent will be a person of Football Acumen using Football measurables instead of Laptop SPARQ scores to gauge talent.. Whether that be AB... Or they turn the page and start a new chapter.. I believe one more successive loss pushes Kevin out the door for sure... I wasn't a fan of Kev to begin with... This off season has a lot more questions than answers.. I would love to get Bill Callahan back to coach O line.. He can make Chicken salad out of chickenshit.. At least.. He did that here.. And I agree Cincitucky is our best last chance for a win.. I don't dislike Mendoza as a 1st pick.. But common sense says.. We aren't set up properly to bring him along under the proper conditions for him and the team to flourish..

                                      Nickers...."There are no old running QB's in the NFL "~Sam Rutigliano~
                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • FlugelF Flugel

                                        @dutch-oven said:

                                        Honestly when it comes to value it makes sense if they took Downs.

                                        I really liked last year's first round. I'm not feeling this year's first round. 

                                        If the Browns end up with a top 5 pick (I have this feeling we might beat Cincinnati) this draft does not match up well with our needs regarding that pick. I'm not loving any of these WRs to draft them that high. The three top OTackles are guys I'm hearing are better as a Right Tackle or with the Miami kid as a guard. I don't like taking tackles top 5 that aren't Left Tackles. 

                                        Saying all this, I'm starting to think the Browns will go balls to the wall to get Mendoza or Moore if he comes out. Sitting at say #4 overall and taking a need seems like quite the reach. 

                                        Logical thinking Dutch; but hear me out for a second.  The thing that really concerns me that you pointed out is that a lot of top tackles in this draft are either RTs or thought to be OGs at the next level.  Another guy - Utah's Caleb Lomu has started 2 years already at LT as a red shirt soph; but he's considering staying at Utah (if so, some are already projecting him as the #1 LT in the 2027 draft).  

                                        As for the QB - the NYJ have 5 first round picks combined in 2026 & 2027 plus a second round pick each year that they'll caress & belly rub the Raiders with.  This franchise can't afford to compete with that given how many parts of the team are missing quality starters and depth imo.  Winning the trade-up for the top QB looks to favor the Jets bigtime here.  The convenience of the draft rarely seems to coincide with the biggest needs of this team.  I got me a horrible feeling this FO really believes Dawand Jones is really gonna return to triple pre-injury form and take his profession serious for the very 1st time.  I've read the 1st WR on Kiper's board gets the dropsies at times; but I wouldn't mind another team taking that bait so we consider another top receiver like Tate if WR is the way they go first.  My biggest worry about the OT being weak due to volume is that if we want a starting caliber upgrade - waiting til a mid round seems risky. Truth is RT is a big need too if we ever want to run outside the guards with any consistency while pass pro on both edges is a need.  TJ Watt lines up over RTs so whatever falls on our draft slots we gotta get.  

                                        I don't know if Moore is a big enough upgrade over Sanders if at all.  Much like the numbers Gabriel put up at the same school - the OL in Cleveland as we speak is a culture shock for our rookie QBs as well as Flacco this year. We have to lose out and get lucky to land Mendoza. That's just 1 knucklehead's opinion.

                                        Orion OrionO Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                        • 9k Posts
                                        • 4k Reputation
                                        OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by Orion
                                        #36

                                        @flugel said:

                                        As for the QB - the NYJ have 5 first round picks combined in 2026 & 2027 plus a second round pick each year that they'll caress & belly rub the Raiders with.  This franchise can't afford to compete with that

                                        The Jets are, of course, a wild card.  But we're not going to compete with anyone, I hope.  And just because you have a lot of assets doesn't mean you're willing to grossly overpay.  Although, it is the Jets we're talking about...

                                        To me, drafting BPA is something that's always grading on a curve.  Let's take us...and we're drafting tomorrow.  If we can't trade up for the QB then we need OT & WR (not just need, these positions totally suck).  Now, we're not able to trade out either.  We have to pick a player.  How much is the BPA going to impact your team, compared to the highest rated WR?  Sometimes it's a no brainer...the BPA is the proper pick.  But sometimes, attacking the elephant in the room is the thing to do.  

                                        BEING A BROWNS FAN IS A TEST TO SEE HOW MUCH YOU CAN TAKE
                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        ❤
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • Orion OrionO Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                          • 9k Posts
                                          • 4k Reputation
                                          OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
                                          #37

                                          After 1 week of FA,  who are our WR's?   So here's a collection of guys comprising the worst WR room in the league.  Not a single guy can be counted on in the clutch.  The OL got an upgrade early and often in FA.  That was paramount.  But the OL is not completed yet and will most probably continue it's rebuild through the draft.  And it also looks like it's the draft that is going to have to produce some WR talent.

                                          Isaiah Bond 16 WR 5-11 180 22 2 Texas   (PS talent)

                                          Luke Floriea 81 WR 5-8 180 24 1 Kent State   (midget PS talent)

                                          Jerry Jeudy 3 WR 6-1 195 26 7 Alabama

                                          Gage Larvadain 84 WR 5-8 171 23 2 South Carolina  (midget PS talent)

                                          Cedric Tillman 19 WR 6-3 215 25 4 Tennessee

                                          Isaiah Wooden -- WR 5-9 170 26 1 Southern Utah State  (midget PS talent)

                                          Malachi Corley 83 WR 5-11 215 23 3 Western Kentucky - ERFA  (PS talent)

                                          Jamari Thrash 80 WR 6-0 190 25 3 Louisville  - ERFA  (PS talent)

                                          DeAndre Carter 2 WR 5-8 190 32 9 Sacramento State  - UFA  (old midget)

                                          BEING A BROWNS FAN IS A TEST TO SEE HOW MUCH YOU CAN TAKE
                                          Dutch OvenD S FlugelF 3 Replies Last reply
                                          😂
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate