Skip to content

WR position

The Browns Board
98 13 1.7k 1
  • @orion said:

    After 1 week of FA,  who are our WR's?   So here's a collection of guys comprising the worst WR room in the league.  Not a single guy can be counted on in the clutch.  The OL got an upgrade early and often in FA.  That was paramount.  But the OL is not completed yet and will most probably continue it's rebuild through the draft.  And it also looks like it's the draft that is going to have to produce some WR talent.

    Isaiah Bond 16 WR 5-11 180 22 2 Texas   (PS talent)

    Luke Floriea 81 WR 5-8 180 24 1 Kent State   (midget PS talent)

    Jerry Jeudy 3 WR 6-1 195 26 7 Alabama

    Gage Larvadain 84 WR 5-8 171 23 2 South Carolina  (midget PS talent)

    Cedric Tillman 19 WR 6-3 215 25 4 Tennessee

    Isaiah Wooden -- WR 5-9 170 26 1 Southern Utah State  (midget PS talent)

    Malachi Corley 83 WR 5-11 215 23 3 Western Kentucky - ERFA  (PS talent)

    Jamari Thrash 80 WR 6-0 190 25 3 Louisville  - ERFA  (PS talent)

    DeAndre Carter 2 WR 5-8 190 32 9 Sacramento State  - UFA  (old midget)

    If the Browns still can't pass protect on the edges - who can get open immediately?  I'm all in on a WR as 1 of our 1st 3 picks.  That said, Baltimore had 2 starting caliber TEs that helped their QB quite a bit the last few years. John Harbaugh/Hairball gabbed 1 of them immediately in free agency. There's 2 TEs (Max Klare Ohio State rd 2 projection) & (Mackey Award Winner Eli Stowers Vandy rd 3 projection - as a former QB) that could be tempting.  Klare is the better blocker & Stowers lit it up at the Combine.   Since I don't want to do TE in rd 1 - I didn't mention Oregon's Kenyon Sidiq.

    If this year's slew of WRs freaks out the brain trust (and I'm not saying it does) we gotta think outside the box a little here.  If some opponents have good edge rushers on both sides - Double-tight with 2 big target guys that can get open immediately and catch the ball puts quite a monkey-wrench in their plans. Just a thought...

    @flugel said:

    If the Browns still can't pass protect on the edges - who can get open immediately?  I'm all in on a WR as 1 of our 1st 3 picks.  That said, Baltimore had 2 starting caliber TEs that helped their QB quite a bit the last few years. John Harbaugh/Hairball gabbed 1 of them immediately in free agency. There's 2 TEs (Max Klare Ohio State rd 2 projection) & (Mackey Award Winner Eli Stowers Vandy rd 3 projection - as a former QB) that could be tempting.  Klare is the better blocker & Stowers lit it up at the Combine.   Since I don't want to do TE in rd 1 - I didn't mention Oregon's Kenyon Sidiq.

    If this year's slew of WRs freaks out the brain trust (and I'm not saying it does) we gotta think outside the box a little here.  If some opponents have good edge rushers on both sides - Double-tight with 2 big target guys that can get open immediately and catch the ball puts quite a monkey-wrench in their plans. Just a thought...

    Why not Sidiq?  He’s an athletic freak 4.39 that can split out and poses the same threat that a #1 or #2 WR can possess.   One reason it may not be possible is he’s probably going in the low teens but otherwise he could be the best pass catching threat in this draft.  But a slight trade back perhaps he’s the guy we need.

  • @flugel said:

    If the Browns still can't pass protect on the edges - who can get open immediately?  I'm all in on a WR as 1 of our 1st 3 picks.  That said, Baltimore had 2 starting caliber TEs that helped their QB quite a bit the last few years. John Harbaugh/Hairball gabbed 1 of them immediately in free agency. There's 2 TEs (Max Klare Ohio State rd 2 projection) & (Mackey Award Winner Eli Stowers Vandy rd 3 projection - as a former QB) that could be tempting.  Klare is the better blocker & Stowers lit it up at the Combine.   Since I don't want to do TE in rd 1 - I didn't mention Oregon's Kenyon Sidiq.

    If this year's slew of WRs freaks out the brain trust (and I'm not saying it does) we gotta think outside the box a little here.  If some opponents have good edge rushers on both sides - Double-tight with 2 big target guys that can get open immediately and catch the ball puts quite a monkey-wrench in their plans. Just a thought...

    Why not Sidiq?  He’s an athletic freak 4.39 that can split out and poses the same threat that a #1 or #2 WR can possess.   One reason it may not be possible is he’s probably going in the low teens but otherwise he could be the best pass catching threat in this draft.  But a slight trade back perhaps he’s the guy we need.

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Why not Sidiq?  He’s an athletic freak 4.39 that can split out and poses the same threat that a #1 or #2 WR can possess.   One reason it may not be possible is he’s probably going in the low teens but otherwise he could be the best pass catching threat in this draft.  But a slight trade back perhaps he’s the guy we need.

    You're a bad influence on me ?- but great point. Tradeback would be the most ideal scenario. Another thing about it all is if we did draft a rookie OTackle  - it would be nice to have 1 of the 2 TEs in formation on the space to the rookie Tackle's outside shoulder close by.  If we could do something like this their would be less temptation to knee jerk a guy like RT Mauiguoa inside prematurely or; Heaven help me, if they liked Proctor at LT (or anyone else either side that could become a reliable OG if OT doesn't work).  Proctor really pleasantly surprised me at the combines with very good lateral movement/agility and a 5.2 forty.   My 1st impression of him this year was his worst game vs Florida State.

    TEs can open doors for this Offense.  Getting one that can be duel purpose like Steve Heiden was when KWII was here messed with a lot of opponents thinking the Browns were tipping off a tendency when Heiden came on the field.  "He's just coming in to do the blocking so Winslow can get open downfield."  I think one of the highlights I shared about Heiden the other day showed nobody on D attempting to hit/press him or slow him up out of stance to the extent nobody in the 2nd or 3rd tier paid him any attention until it was "UH-OH! pursuit angle time!!!"  

    Another idea Dutch mentioned a month or 2 ago was add someone like Ohio State's TE Will Kacmarek later in the draft or possibly as an Undrafted Rookie FA. This would be another way to do it.  He could be a lot like a Steve Heiden dual purpose.  The new FA TE from the Saints could also help.

  • I'm still thinking LT or WR at #6.  And WR or LT at #24.  (the position that didn't get picked at 6 is the choice at 24)  

    Very pleased to see what was done for the OL in the 1st week of FA. But we still need a LT at least...and that's no little thing.  If the best true LT is there at #6 we have to grab him.  If he's not there and you think you'd like one of the guys that should be available at 24 then take the best WR.  We could not pass or run the ball last year.  LT  &  WR is what we need more than anything.  (since we have to go into another season not knowing who our starting QB will be)   

  • I'm still thinking LT or WR at #6.  And WR or LT at #24.  (the position that didn't get picked at 6 is the choice at 24)  

    Very pleased to see what was done for the OL in the 1st week of FA. But we still need a LT at least...and that's no little thing.  If the best true LT is there at #6 we have to grab him.  If he's not there and you think you'd like one of the guys that should be available at 24 then take the best WR.  We could not pass or run the ball last year.  LT  &  WR is what we need more than anything.  (since we have to go into another season not knowing who our starting QB will be)   

    @orion said:

    I'm still thinking LT or WR at #6.  And WR or LT at #24.  (the position that didn't get picked at 6 is the choice at 24)  

    Very pleased to see what was done for the OL in the 1st week of FA. But we still need a LT at least...and that's no little thing.  If the best true LT is there at #6 we have to grab him.  If he's not there and you think you'd like one of the guys that should be available at 24 then take the best WR.  We could not pass or run the ball last year.  LT  &  WR is what we need more than anything.  (since we have to go into another season not knowing who our starting QB will be)   

    I bet it's a LT at #6, Freeling

  • @orion said:

    I'm still thinking LT or WR at #6.  And WR or LT at #24.  (the position that didn't get picked at 6 is the choice at 24)  

    Very pleased to see what was done for the OL in the 1st week of FA. But we still need a LT at least...and that's no little thing.  If the best true LT is there at #6 we have to grab him.  If he's not there and you think you'd like one of the guys that should be available at 24 then take the best WR.  We could not pass or run the ball last year.  LT  &  WR is what we need more than anything.  (since we have to go into another season not knowing who our starting QB will be)   

    I bet it's a LT at #6, Freeling

    @bob806 said:

    I bet it's a LT at #6, Freeling

    BPA at # 6, freeling at 24 

  • sydS syd

    @bob806 said:

    I bet it's a LT at #6, Freeling

    BPA at # 6, freeling at 24 

    @syd said:

    BPA at # 6, freeling at 24 

    trouble is, Freeling wow'ed at the combine, and won't be there at 24, probably. Joe Thomas was a 3rd overall pick.

    Detroit needs a LT, they pick 17th. Arizona - picks at 3.

    https://www.detroitlions.com/news/2026-nfl-draft-meet-the-prospect-georgia-tackle-monroe-freeling

    but passing on Styles at 6....I have trouble with that.

    If Freeling is very similar to Joe Thomas in heart, I would pick him at 6.

  • @syd said:

    BPA at # 6, freeling at 24 

    trouble is, Freeling wow'ed at the combine, and won't be there at 24, probably. Joe Thomas was a 3rd overall pick.

    Detroit needs a LT, they pick 17th. Arizona - picks at 3.

    https://www.detroitlions.com/news/2026-nfl-draft-meet-the-prospect-georgia-tackle-monroe-freeling

    but passing on Styles at 6....I have trouble with that.

    If Freeling is very similar to Joe Thomas in heart, I would pick him at 6.

    @calfoxwc said:

    trouble is, Freeling wow'ed at the combine, and won't be there at 24, probably

    Agreed.  But prior to his running around in shorts he wasn't spoken of as a top 10 pick.  I watched him at the combine.  He moved very well.  Fano also moved fluidly.  I don't think I'd redo my OLinemen draft board based on the combine.  

  • @calfoxwc said:

    trouble is, Freeling wow'ed at the combine, and won't be there at 24, probably

    Agreed.  But prior to his running around in shorts he wasn't spoken of as a top 10 pick.  I watched him at the combine.  He moved very well.  Fano also moved fluidly.  I don't think I'd redo my OLinemen draft board based on the combine.  

    @orion said:

    Agreed.  But prior to his running around in shorts he wasn't spoken of as a top 10 pick.  I watched him at the combine.  He moved very well.  Fano also moved fluidly.  I don't think I'd redo my OLinemen draft board based on the combine.  

    agreed ! I guess that is what has gotten the Browns draft busts in the past.....

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Why not Sidiq?  He’s an athletic freak 4.39 that can split out and poses the same threat that a #1 or #2 WR can possess.   One reason it may not be possible is he’s probably going in the low teens but otherwise he could be the best pass catching threat in this draft.  But a slight trade back perhaps he’s the guy we need.

    You're a bad influence on me ?- but great point. Tradeback would be the most ideal scenario. Another thing about it all is if we did draft a rookie OTackle  - it would be nice to have 1 of the 2 TEs in formation on the space to the rookie Tackle's outside shoulder close by.  If we could do something like this their would be less temptation to knee jerk a guy like RT Mauiguoa inside prematurely or; Heaven help me, if they liked Proctor at LT (or anyone else either side that could become a reliable OG if OT doesn't work).  Proctor really pleasantly surprised me at the combines with very good lateral movement/agility and a 5.2 forty.   My 1st impression of him this year was his worst game vs Florida State.

    TEs can open doors for this Offense.  Getting one that can be duel purpose like Steve Heiden was when KWII was here messed with a lot of opponents thinking the Browns were tipping off a tendency when Heiden came on the field.  "He's just coming in to do the blocking so Winslow can get open downfield."  I think one of the highlights I shared about Heiden the other day showed nobody on D attempting to hit/press him or slow him up out of stance to the extent nobody in the 2nd or 3rd tier paid him any attention until it was "UH-OH! pursuit angle time!!!"  

    Another idea Dutch mentioned a month or 2 ago was add someone like Ohio State's TE Will Kacmarek later in the draft or possibly as an Undrafted Rookie FA. This would be another way to do it.  He could be a lot like a Steve Heiden dual purpose.  The new FA TE from the Saints could also help.

    @flugel said:

    You're a bad influence on me ?- but great point. Tradeback would be the most ideal scenario. Another thing about it all is if we did draft a rookie OTackle  - it would be nice to have 1 of the 2 TEs in formation on the space to the rookie Tackle's outside shoulder close by.  If we could do something like this their would be less temptation to knee jerk a guy like RT Mauiguoa inside prematurely or; Heaven help me, if they liked Proctor at LT (or anyone else either side that could become a reliable OG if OT doesn't work).  Proctor really pleasantly surprised me at the combines with very good lateral movement/agility and a 5.2 forty.   My 1st impression of him this year was his worst game vs Florida State.

    TEs can open doors for this Offense.  Getting one that can be duel purpose like Steve Heiden was when KWII was here messed with a lot of opponents thinking the Browns were tipping off a tendency when Heiden came on the field.  "He's just coming in to do the blocking so Winslow can get open downfield."  I think one of the highlights I shared about Heiden the other day showed nobody on D attempting to hit/press him or slow him up out of stance to the extent nobody in the 2nd or 3rd tier paid him any attention until it was "UH-OH! pursuit angle time!!!"  

    Another idea Dutch mentioned a month or 2 ago was add someone like Ohio State's TE Will Kacmarek later in the draft or possibly as an Undrafted Rookie FA. This would be another way to do it.  He could be a lot like a Steve Heiden dual purpose.  The new FA TE from the Saints could also help.

    I don't like the idea of drafting a TE to be a chipper early in the draft.  We already have some of those and we already have Fannin as the receiving TE. Don't draft a TE early in round one to do the job of guys you can get in the 6th round.  Chipper can be effective late release player as an outlet for the qb.

    To be honest, I don't like a receiver in the 1st round.  There will be a lot of good receivers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Fix the nuts and bolts before you start adding chrome. I like the idea of getting the LT and QB Simpson.  I know many don't like the idea of a QB but when you haven't had a QB for a generation and have at best question marks at the position, you need to keep drafting one until you fix the position. I am tired of dicking around at the QB position.  I don't know if Shedufus is going to be any good or not, but until we find out, keep drafting a QB.

  • @flugel said:

    You're a bad influence on me ?- but great point. Tradeback would be the most ideal scenario. Another thing about it all is if we did draft a rookie OTackle  - it would be nice to have 1 of the 2 TEs in formation on the space to the rookie Tackle's outside shoulder close by.  If we could do something like this their would be less temptation to knee jerk a guy like RT Mauiguoa inside prematurely or; Heaven help me, if they liked Proctor at LT (or anyone else either side that could become a reliable OG if OT doesn't work).  Proctor really pleasantly surprised me at the combines with very good lateral movement/agility and a 5.2 forty.   My 1st impression of him this year was his worst game vs Florida State.

    TEs can open doors for this Offense.  Getting one that can be duel purpose like Steve Heiden was when KWII was here messed with a lot of opponents thinking the Browns were tipping off a tendency when Heiden came on the field.  "He's just coming in to do the blocking so Winslow can get open downfield."  I think one of the highlights I shared about Heiden the other day showed nobody on D attempting to hit/press him or slow him up out of stance to the extent nobody in the 2nd or 3rd tier paid him any attention until it was "UH-OH! pursuit angle time!!!"  

    Another idea Dutch mentioned a month or 2 ago was add someone like Ohio State's TE Will Kacmarek later in the draft or possibly as an Undrafted Rookie FA. This would be another way to do it.  He could be a lot like a Steve Heiden dual purpose.  The new FA TE from the Saints could also help.

    I don't like the idea of drafting a TE to be a chipper early in the draft.  We already have some of those and we already have Fannin as the receiving TE. Don't draft a TE early in round one to do the job of guys you can get in the 6th round.  Chipper can be effective late release player as an outlet for the qb.

    To be honest, I don't like a receiver in the 1st round.  There will be a lot of good receivers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Fix the nuts and bolts before you start adding chrome. I like the idea of getting the LT and QB Simpson.  I know many don't like the idea of a QB but when you haven't had a QB for a generation and have at best question marks at the position, you need to keep drafting one until you fix the position. I am tired of dicking around at the QB position.  I don't know if Shedufus is going to be any good or not, but until we find out, keep drafting a QB.

    @ballpeen said:

    I don't like the idea of drafting a TE to be a chipper early in the draft.  We already have some of those and we already have Fannin as the receiving TE. Don't draft a TE early in round one to do the job of guys you can get in the 6th round.  Chipper can be effective late release player as an outlet for the qb.

    To be honest, I don't like a receiver in the 1st round.  There will be a lot of good receivers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Fix the nuts and bolts before you start adding chrome. I like the idea of getting the LT and QB Simpson.  I know many don't like the idea of a QB but when you haven't had a QB for a generation and have at best question marks at the position, you need to keep drafting one until you fix the position. I am tired of dicking around at the QB position.  I don't know if Shedufus is going to be any good or not, but until we find out, keep drafting a QB.

    I've said it before, but Simpson should not have come out into this draft with only 15 college starts. I like his potential, if he had come out next draft.

    I can't think of many teams that would be a worse fit for Simpson than the Browns. He's a guy who should sit behind an established starter for a couple of seasons - like Green Bay did with Jordan Love - and that won't happen here. He'll be rushed into action too early, and it wouldn't shock me if he'll be doing it under a different head coach fairly soon too. 

    A team like the Rams makes so much sense for Simpson. An established team, coaching staff and starting QB in front of him. That team will allow him to get experience slowly and allow him to get stronger physically while not being rushed into service. 

  • @flugel said:

    You're a bad influence on me ?- but great point. Tradeback would be the most ideal scenario. Another thing about it all is if we did draft a rookie OTackle  - it would be nice to have 1 of the 2 TEs in formation on the space to the rookie Tackle's outside shoulder close by.  If we could do something like this their would be less temptation to knee jerk a guy like RT Mauiguoa inside prematurely or; Heaven help me, if they liked Proctor at LT (or anyone else either side that could become a reliable OG if OT doesn't work).  Proctor really pleasantly surprised me at the combines with very good lateral movement/agility and a 5.2 forty.   My 1st impression of him this year was his worst game vs Florida State.

    TEs can open doors for this Offense.  Getting one that can be duel purpose like Steve Heiden was when KWII was here messed with a lot of opponents thinking the Browns were tipping off a tendency when Heiden came on the field.  "He's just coming in to do the blocking so Winslow can get open downfield."  I think one of the highlights I shared about Heiden the other day showed nobody on D attempting to hit/press him or slow him up out of stance to the extent nobody in the 2nd or 3rd tier paid him any attention until it was "UH-OH! pursuit angle time!!!"  

    Another idea Dutch mentioned a month or 2 ago was add someone like Ohio State's TE Will Kacmarek later in the draft or possibly as an Undrafted Rookie FA. This would be another way to do it.  He could be a lot like a Steve Heiden dual purpose.  The new FA TE from the Saints could also help.

    I don't like the idea of drafting a TE to be a chipper early in the draft.  We already have some of those and we already have Fannin as the receiving TE. Don't draft a TE early in round one to do the job of guys you can get in the 6th round.  Chipper can be effective late release player as an outlet for the qb.

    To be honest, I don't like a receiver in the 1st round.  There will be a lot of good receivers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Fix the nuts and bolts before you start adding chrome. I like the idea of getting the LT and QB Simpson.  I know many don't like the idea of a QB but when you haven't had a QB for a generation and have at best question marks at the position, you need to keep drafting one until you fix the position. I am tired of dicking around at the QB position.  I don't know if Shedufus is going to be any good or not, but until we find out, keep drafting a QB.

    @ballpeen said:

    I don't like the idea of drafting a TE to be a chipper early in the draft.  We already have some of those and we already have Fannin as the receiving TE. Don't draft a TE early in round one to do the job of guys you can get in the 6th round.  Chipper can be effective late release player as an outlet for the qb.

    To be honest, I don't like a receiver in the 1st round.  There will be a lot of good receivers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Fix the nuts and bolts before you start adding chrome. I like the idea of getting the LT and QB Simpson.  I know many don't like the idea of a QB but when you haven't had a QB for a generation and have at best question marks at the position, you need to keep drafting one until you fix the position. I am tired of dicking around at the QB position.  I don't know if Shedufus is going to be any good or not, but until we find out, keep drafting a QB.

    It may not seem like this but one of my favorite parts of doing what we do in here - is when someone can successfully challenge a current direction of thinking I have to the extent I can tell them I understand why you're thinking this way. If that didn't ever happen why would I even need to be in here? In some ways, you remind me of Gipper (that's a good thing) when I'd post about Paul Brown and he'd throw in a "Don't forget" which of course meant I forgot or even worse - was unaware/didn't know.  That's good for me even if it isn't always convenient. I JOIN you in being tired of dicking around at QB to the extent I had a nightmare I was a muffler and woke up exhausted...

    The 1 thing I've never waivered on this year is wanting one of the highest rated LTs 1st and a scoring weapon on the perimeter.  The TE thing can be exactly as you said (which Dutch also suggested somewhere in the last 2-3 months) where he said adding a 2nd TE like Ohio State's Will Kacmarek late or as a UFA can give us dual purpose. My intention was typing my thoughts about how important TEs can be here for a team that may not have THE dream at WR in early our draft slot while adding a talented rookie TE lining up on the outside shoulder of rookie OTackle (vs defenses with 2 good edge rushers) challenges who is going to being the dictating.  As much as there seems to be a consensus wanting to king Mauigoa as THE best OTackle in this draft there's 2 hurdles; 1st - he's a RT so there's a subconscious concern about all space to the right of his outside shoulder in pass protection , 2nd - as a result most draftniks/analysts are sure to mention he may kick inside in the NFL (and it's not just due to arm length - it's a lack of lateral footwork/base that could help him overcome shorter arms by staying in position in front of the defender to remain effective with hand placement.  Caleb Lomu doesn't have long arms either; but his footwork keeps him a relentless pain in the ass to the opponent making what God gave him in arm length a doable compensation imo.  Anyway, there's probably going to be tackles in this draft that may have immediate space to their outside shoulders protected with a TE or offensive teammate close by in formation.  

    Even better, SdB80 brought up a 1st round TE like Sadiq (4.39 speed) from Oregon could be as good of a perimeter weapon as several 1st round WRs in this draft.  I remember when TE Brock Bowers was just as dangerous as all the WRs in his draft class.  

    In the end, there's always alternatives to following what everyone else is doing so I'm going to try to keep somewhat of an open mind this time around. Someone may have to remind me of this later on.

  • @flugel said:

    You're a bad influence on me ?- but great point. Tradeback would be the most ideal scenario. Another thing about it all is if we did draft a rookie OTackle  - it would be nice to have 1 of the 2 TEs in formation on the space to the rookie Tackle's outside shoulder close by.  If we could do something like this their would be less temptation to knee jerk a guy like RT Mauiguoa inside prematurely or; Heaven help me, if they liked Proctor at LT (or anyone else either side that could become a reliable OG if OT doesn't work).  Proctor really pleasantly surprised me at the combines with very good lateral movement/agility and a 5.2 forty.   My 1st impression of him this year was his worst game vs Florida State.

    TEs can open doors for this Offense.  Getting one that can be duel purpose like Steve Heiden was when KWII was here messed with a lot of opponents thinking the Browns were tipping off a tendency when Heiden came on the field.  "He's just coming in to do the blocking so Winslow can get open downfield."  I think one of the highlights I shared about Heiden the other day showed nobody on D attempting to hit/press him or slow him up out of stance to the extent nobody in the 2nd or 3rd tier paid him any attention until it was "UH-OH! pursuit angle time!!!"  

    Another idea Dutch mentioned a month or 2 ago was add someone like Ohio State's TE Will Kacmarek later in the draft or possibly as an Undrafted Rookie FA. This would be another way to do it.  He could be a lot like a Steve Heiden dual purpose.  The new FA TE from the Saints could also help.

    I don't like the idea of drafting a TE to be a chipper early in the draft.  We already have some of those and we already have Fannin as the receiving TE. Don't draft a TE early in round one to do the job of guys you can get in the 6th round.  Chipper can be effective late release player as an outlet for the qb.

    To be honest, I don't like a receiver in the 1st round.  There will be a lot of good receivers in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Fix the nuts and bolts before you start adding chrome. I like the idea of getting the LT and QB Simpson.  I know many don't like the idea of a QB but when you haven't had a QB for a generation and have at best question marks at the position, you need to keep drafting one until you fix the position. I am tired of dicking around at the QB position.  I don't know if Shedufus is going to be any good or not, but until we find out, keep drafting a QB.

    @ballpeen said:

     a chipper

    That's their word.  

     edit: Re Simpson.  He has *some* quality film. Some, especially early season, not so good.   But it should give anyone pause, no matter how desperate, to look at the LONG list of QB failures that had 20 or fewer starts.    Off the top of my head, the only QB's at or under that number recently are Murray, Haskins (RIP, #7) Cam, Mac Jones, Dirty Sanzhez and Mitch-a-palooza.    

    That isn't exactly great company.  

  • @ballpeen said:

     a chipper

    That's their word.  

     edit: Re Simpson.  He has *some* quality film. Some, especially early season, not so good.   But it should give anyone pause, no matter how desperate, to look at the LONG list of QB failures that had 20 or fewer starts.    Off the top of my head, the only QB's at or under that number recently are Murray, Haskins (RIP, #7) Cam, Mac Jones, Dirty Sanzhez and Mitch-a-palooza.    

    That isn't exactly great company.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    That's their word.  

    Who's word?  

  • Sidiq by some accounts runs an advanced route tree.  6’4” 240 that runs a 4.39.  43.5 vertical that is an inch higher than the best WR and for context most are in the 30s. 
     

    You play a team that likes to play man coverage how many teams are going to want to put someone on an island against this man?  He would be utilized differently here he’s not Fannin or Jeudy. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    That's their word.  

    Who's word?  

    @flugel said:

    Who's word?  

  • I still say Jamari Thrash is going to turn the corner. Just you wait and see.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I still say Jamari Thrash is going to turn the corner. Just you wait and see.

    If he hasn't gotten it by now... It's doubtful he ever will..

  • Sidiq by some accounts runs an advanced route tree.  6’4” 240 that runs a 4.39.  43.5 vertical that is an inch higher than the best WR and for context most are in the 30s. 
     

    You play a team that likes to play man coverage how many teams are going to want to put someone on an island against this man?  He would be utilized differently here he’s not Fannin or Jeudy. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Sidiq by some accounts runs an advanced route tree.  6’4” 240 that runs a 4.39.  43.5 vertical that is an inch higher than the best WR and for context most are in the 30s. 
     

    You play a team that likes to play man coverage how many teams are going to want to put someone on an island against this man?  He would be utilized differently here he’s not Fannin or Jeudy. 

    I will quote here but answer some questions from others as well.

    If we plan on using him outside, so be it.  Those are Megatron numbers. I just don't like the thought of drafting an in-line TE, at least early in the draft.  It seems somewhat redundant, especially when you consider we just signed a FA TE who supposedly has a good rep as a blocker.

    As for Simpson, the number of starts is a concern. I wouldn't expect to see him play out of the gate. If Shedufus balls out, great!  We would then have a QB in wait, or one we should be able to get some value back on somewhere down the road. I know that doesn't sound ideal, and it isn't.  My only thought is when you are a team who hasn't had a QB for the last 25 years you better keep taking one until you get one. I don't have the feeling that Sanders is a guy we can ride 2-3 years before we make a final decision on him.

    That may not be fair to him, but it is what it is.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Sidiq by some accounts runs an advanced route tree.  6’4” 240 that runs a 4.39.  43.5 vertical that is an inch higher than the best WR and for context most are in the 30s. 
     

    You play a team that likes to play man coverage how many teams are going to want to put someone on an island against this man?  He would be utilized differently here he’s not Fannin or Jeudy. 

    I will quote here but answer some questions from others as well.

    If we plan on using him outside, so be it.  Those are Megatron numbers. I just don't like the thought of drafting an in-line TE, at least early in the draft.  It seems somewhat redundant, especially when you consider we just signed a FA TE who supposedly has a good rep as a blocker.

    As for Simpson, the number of starts is a concern. I wouldn't expect to see him play out of the gate. If Shedufus balls out, great!  We would then have a QB in wait, or one we should be able to get some value back on somewhere down the road. I know that doesn't sound ideal, and it isn't.  My only thought is when you are a team who hasn't had a QB for the last 25 years you better keep taking one until you get one. I don't have the feeling that Sanders is a guy we can ride 2-3 years before we make a final decision on him.

    That may not be fair to him, but it is what it is.

    @ballpeen said:

    I will quote here but answer some questions from others as well.

    If we plan on using him outside, so be it.  Those are Megatron numbers. I just don't like the thought of drafting an in-line TE, at least early in the draft.  It seems somewhat redundant, especially when you consider we just signed a FA TE who supposedly has a good rep as a blocker.

    As for Simpson, the number of starts is a concern. I wouldn't expect to see him play out of the gate. If Shedufus balls out, great!  We would then have a QB in wait, or one we should be able to get some value back on somewhere down the road. I know that doesn't sound ideal, and it isn't.  My only thought is when you are a team who hasn't had a QB for the last 25 years you better keep taking one until you get one. I don't have the feeling that Sanders is a guy we can ride 2-3 years before we make a final decision on him.

    That may not be fair to him, but it is what it is.

    Understood; but keep a sense of humor for the rest,  Unfortunately, the Browns braintrust already drafted a QB about this height (below) in the 3rd round to stand tall in the pocket 2 rounds before trading for Sanders - to assure us why history has a tendency to repeat itself.  Yeah, don't just draft 1 rookie QB swimming against the current of consensus of approval - go get a 2nd one 31 other teams are clearly avoiding to remind all those same teams you are the ONE that was going to prove them all wrong about Watson. That's a consistency we've been taught not to trust. So now that nobody AFTER Mendoza looks like a franchise QB in this draft - Cleveland of all franchises can be rewarded for square pegging a round hole in the upcoming draft.  I never thought I'd say this but Drew Allar mid-late could be the type of QB they could develop the right way in lieu of hurrying 1 more guy that isn't ready

    image.jpeg.36fba50c7e96eca1adf23d0421e1bdb3.jpeg

    As for the TE thing, we know Fannin isn't here to throw any blocks and that's okay since he's here to get open and catch the ball in a place where the WR position offered very little help with that in 2025. The reason I've been showing highlights of Steve Heiden (not a 1st round draft pick) was because his presence on the field didn't tip a tendency that he can ONLY block.  Even the Rats (Monken's last team) Pro Bowl TE (Andrews as a throw-back dual purpose TE) so when Likely played in a double TE set - there was no tipping off a tendency. So here's the most recent football our new FA TE (Stoll) has played and his 17 game season in 2025 was his best (below). So, yeah we don't have to draft the same kind of guy at all - especially since we have RBs that can chip on the edge on their way into a short route working better than ever.  Hard to argue with how successful that all looked last year with the warm and fuzzy pass pro on our edges. History shows us an excellent dual purpose TE like Mark Andrews wasn't drafted until round 3.  He can set an edge if/when required which is far different than a tenth of a second chip block by a RB (being recontexted into our discussion as the role of the 2nd TE situationally appearing in a formation).  Even TEs going into a route LOVE to block down and drive the edge guy some as the perfect push-off opportunity into his uncontested route the other way (ie; Travis Kelce)

    image.png.11020c1550a9fe6f41cb7a6489542bcc.png

  • @tiamat63 said:

    That's their word.  

    Who's word?  

    @flugel said:

    Who's word?  

    Tongue in cheek, bubs.  Think about it.  

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Sidiq by some accounts runs an advanced route tree.  6’4” 240 that runs a 4.39.  43.5 vertical that is an inch higher than the best WR and for context most are in the 30s. 
     

    You play a team that likes to play man coverage how many teams are going to want to put someone on an island against this man?  He would be utilized differently here he’s not Fannin or Jeudy. 

    The argument here is that Sidiq, and his deployment, would be more reminiscent of Kellen Winslow when he was in CLE.

    ... I don't hate that.

  • @flugel said:

    Who's word?  

    Tongue in cheek, bubs.  Think about it.  

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Sidiq by some accounts runs an advanced route tree.  6’4” 240 that runs a 4.39.  43.5 vertical that is an inch higher than the best WR and for context most are in the 30s. 
     

    You play a team that likes to play man coverage how many teams are going to want to put someone on an island against this man?  He would be utilized differently here he’s not Fannin or Jeudy. 

    The argument here is that Sidiq, and his deployment, would be more reminiscent of Kellen Winslow when he was in CLE.

    ... I don't hate that.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Tongue in cheek, bubs.  Think about it.  

    The argument here is that Sidiq, and his deployment, would be more reminiscent of Kellen Winslow when he was in CLE.

    ... I don't hate that.

    I hear ya. 

    In the flow of discussion re Sidiq, I got there too after SdB80 nudged me with a reminder of Sidiq's 4.39 speed. As for Sidiq's blocking, the reports I've read vary from one to the next as did my very limited observation of those skills in the Oregon games I saw.

    One scouting report said "handles blocking responsibilities with ease and has a great strength profile. Able to move guys as a run blocker." - Lindy's Draft Guide

    Another has a little bit of both but leans more toward your point about KWII in CLE : "He's willing to get his hands dirty in the run game, too, using his physicality to hold his own as a blocker." Ironically the next sentence begins the next paragraph about weakness with: "Sadiq could use some improvements to his technique if he wants to be effective as an in-line blocker in the run game, especially with a frame that could already pose some challenges in the trenches against NFL edge defenders" - Athlon Sports Draft Preview