Skip to content

WR position

The Browns Board
98 13 1.7k 1
  • @flugel said:

    I hear ya. 

    In the flow of discussion re Sidiq, I got there too after SdB80 nudged me with a reminder of Sidiq's 4.39 speed. As for Sidiq's blocking, the reports I've read vary from one to the next as did my very limited observation of those skills in the Oregon games I saw.

    One scouting report said "handles blocking responsibilities with ease and has a great strength profile. Able to move guys as a run blocker." - Lindy's Draft Guide

    Another has a little bit of both but leans more toward your point about KWII in CLE : "He's willing to get his hands dirty in the run game, too, using his physicality to hold his own as a blocker." Ironically the next sentence begins the next paragraph about weakness with: "Sadiq could use some improvements to his technique if he wants to be effective as an in-line blocker in the run game, especially with a frame that could already pose some challenges in the trenches against NFL edge defenders" - Athlon Sports Draft Preview

    I’m not drafting him as an inline blocker but I can see with his size and speed where he can successful on the perimeter blocking smaller slower guys that he has leverage and length on. 

    On 3rd down and two minute offense it would be nice to have a unicorn.   I think his measurables and ability may lend him to be that kind of guy that consistently wins and sometimes dominates his matchup. 

    We could use a “what the hell do we do against that guy” during a Monday scouting session. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I’m not drafting him as an inline blocker but I can see with his size and speed where he can successful on the perimeter blocking smaller slower guys that he has leverage and length on. 

    On 3rd down and two minute offense it would be nice to have a unicorn.   I think his measurables and ability may lend him to be that kind of guy that consistently wins and sometimes dominates his matchup. 

    We could use a “what the hell do we do against that guy” during a Monday scouting session. 

    True.  The reality is - we're not just spending this off-season on attempting to improve the OTackles only.  The same efforts will be/are happening with the C & OGs inside the Tackles and the WRs & TEs outside the OTackles.  This team didn't only win 3 of 17 games in 2024 and 5 of 17 games in 2025 because they're good on offense.

    It's not supposed to be a strong QB draft after Mendoza; but why do I get the feeling someone like the 6'0" Trinidad Chambliss is causing underwear changes in the brain trust all day long?  I'm not opposed to a QB between round 4 and 7 if they feel they need to keep rolling the dice on the position haunting them. 

  • So drafting 5th-6th round QBs is the answer?

    I say no thanks.

  • So drafting 5th-6th round QBs is the answer?

    I say no thanks.

    @ballpeen said:

    So drafting 5th-6th round QBs is the answer?

    I say no thanks.

    Tom Brady....

  • @ballpeen said:

    So drafting 5th-6th round QBs is the answer?

    I say no thanks.

    Tom Brady....

    @calfoxwc said:

    Tom Brady....

    I was a Kelly Holcomb guy.  If l’m being honest, the only Browns QBs that got me fired up in the last 30 years are Baker Mayfield and Kelly Holcomb.

  • So drafting 5th-6th round QBs is the answer?

    I say no thanks.

    @ballpeen said:

    So drafting 5th-6th round QBs is the answer?

    I say no thanks.

    I think it all depends upon how much you like the guy compared to any guys you would draft instead.  And if you have room for a project.  For us, we're still looking for a starter among the 3 guys we have.  We've got no use for a draft pick project QB right now.  

    Watson being around clouds things.  If you want to bring in someone to be the starter they're going to have to compete with Watson.  Supposedly Watson used to be good.  Maybe Monken's scheme suits him really well and he outshines everyone.  (I think that Watson will  look like the best QB option to Monken by the time Preseason rolls around)

    We have a unique QB room, inherited by a new coaching regime.  IMO, we should let the new HC straighten out that QB room by evaluating and declaring a batting order.  It's an everybody's got a 'clean slate' opportunity.  No incumbents.  As for this draft, perhaps you want to hedge your bet by trying to acquire assets to help you get into position for a new QB in the '27 draft, should that turn out to be necessary.   Much like we did at last year's draft.  And spend this year's picks to get more weapons for  the QB position.  We have 9 picks, I think.  Enough for WR's, Olinemen, and defense.

  • So drafting 5th-6th round QBs is the answer?

    I say no thanks.

    @ballpeen said:

    So drafting 5th-6th round QBs is the answer?

    I say no thanks.

    So pretending a franchise QB will be on any of the Browns draft slots on day 1 or day 2 continues to work for you? 

    That went so well for you last year that the Browns decided they better draft an adult sized QB in the 5th round.  

    Purposely misquoting me won't work any better for you. Here's what I typed: I'm not opposed to a QB between round 4 and 7 if they feel they need to keep rolling the dice on the position haunting them. 

  • @ballpeen said:

    So drafting 5th-6th round QBs is the answer?

    I say no thanks.

    So pretending a franchise QB will be on any of the Browns draft slots on day 1 or day 2 continues to work for you? 

    That went so well for you last year that the Browns decided they better draft an adult sized QB in the 5th round.  

    Purposely misquoting me won't work any better for you. Here's what I typed: I'm not opposed to a QB between round 4 and 7 if they feel they need to keep rolling the dice on the position haunting them. 

    @flugel said:

    So pretending a franchise QB will be on any of the Browns draft slots on day 1 or day 2 continues to work for you? 

    That went so well for you last year that the Browns decided they better draft an adult sized QB in the 5th round.  

    Purposely misquoting me won't work any better for you. Here's what I typed: I'm not opposed to a QB between round 4 and 7 if they feel they need to keep rolling the dice on the position haunting them. 

    So I picked two rounds that fall inside the parameters you set.  A little picky, don't you think?

  • @flugel said:

    So pretending a franchise QB will be on any of the Browns draft slots on day 1 or day 2 continues to work for you? 

    That went so well for you last year that the Browns decided they better draft an adult sized QB in the 5th round.  

    Purposely misquoting me won't work any better for you. Here's what I typed: I'm not opposed to a QB between round 4 and 7 if they feel they need to keep rolling the dice on the position haunting them. 

    So I picked two rounds that fall inside the parameters you set.  A little picky, don't you think?

    @ballpeen said:

    So I picked two rounds that fall inside the parameters you set.  A little picky, don't you think?

    I've never been to a court room that asked "do you promise to tell 50% of the truth and only 50% of the truth so help you God?"  Have you?   Why do we suppose that is?  Now why do you suppose I specified rounds 4-7 in a draft where we don't have a legitimate shot at Mendoza? We both know the drop-off to the extent, 1 draft guide (Athlon) has only 3 guys: Mendoza, Simpson and Chambliss projected before round 4. Lindy's only has these 5 QBs going before round 4: Mendoza, Simpson, Green, Beck and Klubnik. WHIPTY DO!  These 2 Guides aren't the tell-all - but they sure show what's on the shelves for shoppers in a day and age of buyer beware. 

    As much as I like your ambition to resolve the need to improve the QB position - the Browns used 2 picks for that position last year.  I could be wrong here; but it sure seems like most of our fans in here think the current lesser of 2 perceived evils at QB is the guy drafted in round 5.  That being the case, we wasted a good chance to improve an OL position/depth in upper round 3.  

    Drafting lottery type of odds for where this team is at in lieu of what continues to be lost choosing lottery odds over picks at positions of need and/or BPA with far more favorable odds landing players at positions that can HELP this team win - are reasons this team remained short on help at OL.  OL requires a sum of 5 guys from Tackle to Tackle (and that's if nobody gets injured) - consistently neglecting that need put us where we are at this off-season until...  I think most of us are very relieved to see the FO finally slammed the brakes on the steady neglect to bring in veteran help (that isn't too old, worn and torn, useless like Corney Lucas or Cam Robinson). How do we accurately evaluate any QB with no time to throw without any WRs capable of getting open immediately?  We can't...

  • @ballpeen said:

    So drafting 5th-6th round QBs is the answer?

    I say no thanks.

    Tom Brady....

    @calfoxwc said:

    Tom Brady....

    FWIW, Brock Purdy was the last pick of Round 7 and Kurt Warner was undrafted before his HOF Career started in the NFL at 29 years of age.

  • The best use of a Day three pick has been turning one of those picks into Amare Cooper, Wyatt Teller and Tytus Howard.   
     

    Copilot says 4% -5% of players selected in round 5 become multi year starters.

    If I’m keeping the pick I’m setting my expectations it is either special teams contributor or it is an opportunity to bolster a need position.  Every year that seems to be QB. 

  • The best use of a Day three pick has been turning one of those picks into Amare Cooper, Wyatt Teller and Tytus Howard.   
     

    Copilot says 4% -5% of players selected in round 5 become multi year starters.

    If I’m keeping the pick I’m setting my expectations it is either special teams contributor or it is an opportunity to bolster a need position.  Every year that seems to be QB. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    The best use of a Day three pick has been turning one of those picks into Amare Cooper, Wyatt Teller and Tytus Howard.     Copilot says 4% -5% of players selected in round 5 become multi year starters.

    Preach it brother.  And because you drafted him, you keep him on the team 2 full years even though he sucks.  If you can get somebody who can play and help your team for a 5th rounder, you're ahead of the game.  Let's say we wanted to use our 2 5th rounders to move up as high as we could.  Picks 146 & 149 could get us to pick 115 on a draft value chart.  Middle of round 4.  -  Are you better off having 2 cracks at a decent player in the 5th?  Or 1 crack at it in the 4th?  Best option, trade for a veteran when you can.

  • @ballpeen said:

    So drafting 5th-6th round QBs is the answer?

    I say no thanks.

    I think it all depends upon how much you like the guy compared to any guys you would draft instead.  And if you have room for a project.  For us, we're still looking for a starter among the 3 guys we have.  We've got no use for a draft pick project QB right now.  

    Watson being around clouds things.  If you want to bring in someone to be the starter they're going to have to compete with Watson.  Supposedly Watson used to be good.  Maybe Monken's scheme suits him really well and he outshines everyone.  (I think that Watson will  look like the best QB option to Monken by the time Preseason rolls around)

    We have a unique QB room, inherited by a new coaching regime.  IMO, we should let the new HC straighten out that QB room by evaluating and declaring a batting order.  It's an everybody's got a 'clean slate' opportunity.  No incumbents.  As for this draft, perhaps you want to hedge your bet by trying to acquire assets to help you get into position for a new QB in the '27 draft, should that turn out to be necessary.   Much like we did at last year's draft.  And spend this year's picks to get more weapons for  the QB position.  We have 9 picks, I think.  Enough for WR's, Olinemen, and defense.

    @orion said:

    I think it all depends upon how much you like the guy compared to any guys you would draft instead.  And if you have room for a project.  For us, we're still looking for a starter among the 3 guys we have.  We've got no use for a draft pick project QB right now.  

    Watson being around clouds things.  If you want to bring in someone to be the starter they're going to have to compete with Watson.  Supposedly Watson used to be good.  Maybe Monken's scheme suits him really well and he outshines everyone.  (I think that Watson will  look like the best QB option to Monken by the time Preseason rolls around)

    We have a unique QB room, inherited by a new coaching regime.  IMO, we should let the new HC straighten out that QB room by evaluating and declaring a batting order.  It's an everybody's got a 'clean slate' opportunity.  No incumbents.  As for this draft, perhaps you want to hedge your bet by trying to acquire assets to help you get into position for a new QB in the '27 draft, should that turn out to be necessary.   Much like we did at last year's draft.  And spend this year's picks to get more weapons for  the QB position.  We have 9 picks, I think.  Enough for WR's, Olinemen, and defense.

    Well said - especially the part in bold above! Some years the group of QB prospects are better than others.  When Ty Simpson is the #2 prospect in every NFL Draft magazine I purchased - this year's QB class doesn't seem any better than last year's except for Mendoza at #1 overall. That said, a Drew Allar - PSU in round 4 might be worth rolling the dice on - or a Cole Payton - North Dakota State in round 5 - or a Sawyer Robertson - Baylor in round 6 - or a Luke Altmyer - Illinois or Haynes King - Ga Tech in round 7.  If we're a drafting step-stool QB as early as round 3 in 2025; this blow hard is very comfortable hoping the Browns defer/confine their QB choices anywhere between rounds 4 & 7 in 2026. 

    After the season we just witnessed - it makes NO sense to draft a wide eyed rookie QB with expectations of starting THIS year unless you get a QB like Mendoza that transcended a perennial door mat in college football to a National Champion. The Raiders could fleece all 3 1st round draft picks the Jets have this year plus both of the Jets 1st round picks next year as well as some of their multiple 2nd round picks. The supply for the demand this year doesn't seem like it warrants "you better draft a QB high if you don't have one." FWIW, I love the team building equivalent of make-up sex for previously neglecting OLine needs (requiring 5 staters) I'm seeing from Berry this off-season; but he's also well aware it's time to draft a Tackle or 2 that can consistently win on the edges. In fact, it's long overdue from someone that has worked for Howie Roseman in Philly. Those OTackles there have been very reliable since the day they were drafted.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    The best use of a Day three pick has been turning one of those picks into Amare Cooper, Wyatt Teller and Tytus Howard.     Copilot says 4% -5% of players selected in round 5 become multi year starters.

    Preach it brother.  And because you drafted him, you keep him on the team 2 full years even though he sucks.  If you can get somebody who can play and help your team for a 5th rounder, you're ahead of the game.  Let's say we wanted to use our 2 5th rounders to move up as high as we could.  Picks 146 & 149 could get us to pick 115 on a draft value chart.  Middle of round 4.  -  Are you better off having 2 cracks at a decent player in the 5th?  Or 1 crack at it in the 4th?  Best option, trade for a veteran when you can.

    @orion said:

    Preach it brother.  And because you drafted him, you keep him on the team 2 full years even though he sucks.  If you can get somebody who can play and help your team for a 5th rounder, you're ahead of the game.  Let's say we wanted to use our 2 5th rounders to move up as high as we could.  Picks 146 & 149 could get us to pick 115 on a draft value chart.  Middle of round 4.  -  Are you better off having 2 cracks at a decent player in the 5th?  Or 1 crack at it in the 4th?  Best option, trade for a veteran when you can.

    I don't know where it gets you on the draft chart, but I agree you are almost always better off trading later picks for a player, to move up, or trade for future picks. The 5th round seems to be the last round the GM's feel you can find a player  little better than FA players you can sign, so they do hold some value. Usually you can still find guards and centers who might work out.  Maybe some backers.

    To me that is when you start looking to small school guys and players with one skill that stands out that gives you some hope they can be decent special team players.  At that point you don't stand much chance to build the top of your roster in the draft, you are building the bottom of the roster.

  • @orion said:

    I think it all depends upon how much you like the guy compared to any guys you would draft instead.  And if you have room for a project.  For us, we're still looking for a starter among the 3 guys we have.  We've got no use for a draft pick project QB right now.  

    Watson being around clouds things.  If you want to bring in someone to be the starter they're going to have to compete with Watson.  Supposedly Watson used to be good.  Maybe Monken's scheme suits him really well and he outshines everyone.  (I think that Watson will  look like the best QB option to Monken by the time Preseason rolls around)

    We have a unique QB room, inherited by a new coaching regime.  IMO, we should let the new HC straighten out that QB room by evaluating and declaring a batting order.  It's an everybody's got a 'clean slate' opportunity.  No incumbents.  As for this draft, perhaps you want to hedge your bet by trying to acquire assets to help you get into position for a new QB in the '27 draft, should that turn out to be necessary.   Much like we did at last year's draft.  And spend this year's picks to get more weapons for  the QB position.  We have 9 picks, I think.  Enough for WR's, Olinemen, and defense.

    Well said - especially the part in bold above! Some years the group of QB prospects are better than others.  When Ty Simpson is the #2 prospect in every NFL Draft magazine I purchased - this year's QB class doesn't seem any better than last year's except for Mendoza at #1 overall. That said, a Drew Allar - PSU in round 4 might be worth rolling the dice on - or a Cole Payton - North Dakota State in round 5 - or a Sawyer Robertson - Baylor in round 6 - or a Luke Altmyer - Illinois or Haynes King - Ga Tech in round 7.  If we're a drafting step-stool QB as early as round 3 in 2025; this blow hard is very comfortable hoping the Browns defer/confine their QB choices anywhere between rounds 4 & 7 in 2026. 

    After the season we just witnessed - it makes NO sense to draft a wide eyed rookie QB with expectations of starting THIS year unless you get a QB like Mendoza that transcended a perennial door mat in college football to a National Champion. The Raiders could fleece all 3 1st round draft picks the Jets have this year plus both of the Jets 1st round picks next year as well as some of their multiple 2nd round picks. The supply for the demand this year doesn't seem like it warrants "you better draft a QB high if you don't have one." FWIW, I love the team building equivalent of make-up sex for previously neglecting OLine needs (requiring 5 staters) I'm seeing from Berry this off-season; but he's also well aware it's time to draft a Tackle or 2 that can consistently win on the edges. In fact, it's long overdue from someone that has worked for Howie Roseman in Philly. Those OTackles there have been very reliable since the day they were drafted.

    @flugel said:

    Well said - especially the part in bold above! Some years the group of QB prospects are better than others.  When Ty Simpson is the #2 prospect in every NFL Draft magazine I purchased - this year's QB class doesn't seem any better than last year's except for Mendoza at #1 overall. That said, a Drew Allar - PSU in round 4 might be worth rolling the dice on - or a Cole Payton - North Dakota State in round 5 - or a Sawyer Robertson - Baylor in round 6 - or a Luke Altmyer - Illinois or Haynes King - Ga Tech in round 7.  If we're a drafting step-stool QB as early as round 3 in 2025; this blow hard is very comfortable hoping the Browns defer/confine their QB choices anywhere between rounds 4 & 7 in 2026. 

    After the season we just witnessed - it makes NO sense to draft a wide eyed rookie QB with expectations of starting THIS year unless you get a QB like Mendoza that transcended a perennial door mat in college football to a National Champion. The Raiders could fleece all 3 1st round draft picks the Jets have this year plus both of the Jets 1st round picks next year as well as some of their multiple 2nd round picks. The supply for the demand this year doesn't seem like it warrants "you better draft a QB high if you don't have one." FWIW, I love the team building equivalent of make-up sex for previously neglecting OLine needs (requiring 5 staters) I'm seeing from Berry this off-season; but he's also well aware it's time to draft a Tackle or 2 that can consistently win on the edges. In fact, it's long overdue from someone that has worked for Howie Roseman in Philly. Those OTackles there have been very reliable since the day they were drafted.

    I do like Cole Payton.  I might draft him before the 5th round.

  • @flugel said:

    Well said - especially the part in bold above! Some years the group of QB prospects are better than others.  When Ty Simpson is the #2 prospect in every NFL Draft magazine I purchased - this year's QB class doesn't seem any better than last year's except for Mendoza at #1 overall. That said, a Drew Allar - PSU in round 4 might be worth rolling the dice on - or a Cole Payton - North Dakota State in round 5 - or a Sawyer Robertson - Baylor in round 6 - or a Luke Altmyer - Illinois or Haynes King - Ga Tech in round 7.  If we're a drafting step-stool QB as early as round 3 in 2025; this blow hard is very comfortable hoping the Browns defer/confine their QB choices anywhere between rounds 4 & 7 in 2026. 

    After the season we just witnessed - it makes NO sense to draft a wide eyed rookie QB with expectations of starting THIS year unless you get a QB like Mendoza that transcended a perennial door mat in college football to a National Champion. The Raiders could fleece all 3 1st round draft picks the Jets have this year plus both of the Jets 1st round picks next year as well as some of their multiple 2nd round picks. The supply for the demand this year doesn't seem like it warrants "you better draft a QB high if you don't have one." FWIW, I love the team building equivalent of make-up sex for previously neglecting OLine needs (requiring 5 staters) I'm seeing from Berry this off-season; but he's also well aware it's time to draft a Tackle or 2 that can consistently win on the edges. In fact, it's long overdue from someone that has worked for Howie Roseman in Philly. Those OTackles there have been very reliable since the day they were drafted.

    I do like Cole Payton.  I might draft him before the 5th round.

    @ballpeen said:

    I do like Cole Payton.  I might draft him before the 5th round.

    Yeah, he could probably go in the 4th. 

  • A receiver I like is Ted Hurst.  We can probably get him in a later round.  That is why I am not a big advocate for selecting a receiver in the first.

    We probably will go with the tackle at #6.  After the top 3, I don't see much separation in the next 15 receivers meaning we can select receivers maybe as deep as the 4th/5th rounds. I am not saying that is where we start selecting a receiver, just saying we can find them that deep.

  • A receiver I like is Ted Hurst.  We can probably get him in a later round.  That is why I am not a big advocate for selecting a receiver in the first.

    We probably will go with the tackle at #6.  After the top 3, I don't see much separation in the next 15 receivers meaning we can select receivers maybe as deep as the 4th/5th rounds. I am not saying that is where we start selecting a receiver, just saying we can find them that deep.

    @ballpeen said:

    A receiver I like is Ted Hurst.  We can probably get him in a later round.  That is why I am not a big advocate for selecting a receiver in the first.

    We probably will go with the tackle at #6.  After the top 3, I don't see much separation in the next 15 receivers meaning we can select receivers maybe as deep as the 4th/5th rounds. I am not saying that is where we start selecting a receiver, just saying we can find them that deep.

    That seems to be the consensus with this class - the WR class is a deep one without any true great top of the draft guys. 

    I really like Denzel Boston and Omar Cooper Jr at #24, and guys like KC Concepcion and Germie Bernard later. (Even though I wouldn't be surprised if KCC gets drafted before #39, his hands concern me)

  • A receiver I like is Ted Hurst.  We can probably get him in a later round.  That is why I am not a big advocate for selecting a receiver in the first.

    We probably will go with the tackle at #6.  After the top 3, I don't see much separation in the next 15 receivers meaning we can select receivers maybe as deep as the 4th/5th rounds. I am not saying that is where we start selecting a receiver, just saying we can find them that deep.

    @ballpeen said:

    A receiver I like is Ted Hurst.  We can probably get him in a later round.  That is why I am not a big advocate for selecting a receiver in the first.

    We probably will go with the tackle at #6.  After the top 3, I don't see much separation in the next 15 receivers meaning we can select receivers maybe as deep as the 4th/5th rounds. I am not saying that is where we start selecting a receiver, just saying we can find them that deep.

    @dutch-oven said:

    That seems to be the consensus with this class - the WR class is a deep one without any true great top of the draft guys. 

    I really like Denzel Boston and Omar Cooper Jr at #24, and guys like KC Concepcion and Germie Bernard later. (Even though I wouldn't be surprised if KCC gets drafted before #39, his hands concern me)

    Good points guys!

    FWIW, even among the biggest of draft enthusiasts who had any idea the guy in the cut and paste (below) was destined for early success in the NFL? And the 40 time doesn't look any better than Tate's this year or that of Jerry Rice in a yester-year for those that place too much emphasis on a position that rewards change of direction or an ability to stop on a dime and go every bit as much as straight ahead stuff. I'm sure many teams also welcome one's ability to post up and/or break press coverage. Above all, can one consistently catch the ball when open or in a crowd?

    image.png.8f20c928666c530b50cd7d274ce40822.png

  • Here's a guy we haven't mentioned before, might be a nice 2nd/3rd round guy. Ok size (5'11, 190lbs), good speed, great route running and quickness off the snap. 

  • There are a lot of guys we haven't talked about. That goes to my point that we don't have to draft a WR in the 1st round. The top 3 are the best, but that is for this draft.  I don't think in the big picture they stack up to the best in other drafts.

    I think it is a deep WR draft and you can get solid receivers well in to the middle rounds that don't give you all that much drop-off from the top of the draft players.

    Getting back to the trade down scenario, if we stick at #6, I wouldn't pass on one of the DE's. They are far superior players.  It would also provide insurance for when Myles starts whining about wanting to be traded.  Myles took the money, but that doesn't mean he is happy.