Skip to content

Stefanski Gone

The Browns Board
151 35 2.8k 1
  • So when AB sputters this coming draft or makes another disastrous trade or free agent move and he’s out door - we have an AB led HC search and selection up in the air once again with a new GM.

    I would preferred to clean house completely 

  • So when AB sputters this coming draft or makes another disastrous trade or free agent move and he’s out door - we have an AB led HC search and selection up in the air once again with a new GM.

    I would preferred to clean house completely 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    So when AB sputters this coming draft or makes another disastrous trade or free agent move and he’s out door - we have an AB led HC search and selection up in the air once again with a new GM.

    I would preferred to clean house completely 

    Absolutely! If the Browns have another abysmal season it would be appropriate to show AB the door.

  • So when AB sputters this coming draft or makes another disastrous trade or free agent move and he’s out door - we have an AB led HC search and selection up in the air once again with a new GM.

    I would preferred to clean house completely 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    So when AB sputters this coming draft or makes another disastrous trade or free agent move and he’s out door - we have an AB led HC search and selection up in the air once again with a new GM.

    I would preferred to clean house completely 

    Firing the scapegoat only adds gas to the existing dumpster fire in Cleveland.   Last year's draft was a blind squirrel finding a nut.  

    Andrew Berry inherited the following nucleus of players with more than 1 Pro Bowl honor apiece:  Myles Garrett, David Njoku, Nick Chubb, Denzel Ward, Joel Bitonio and Wyatt Teller.  

  • So when AB sputters this coming draft or makes another disastrous trade or free agent move and he’s out door - we have an AB led HC search and selection up in the air once again with a new GM.

    I would preferred to clean house completely 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I would preferred to clean house completely 

    I'm out of "reactions" already, but I agree with this.

    I can't help but wonder if Jimmy knows he has a puppet in AB, hope not. 

    Maybe AB is great at salary cap stuff. Picking players, he's been average at best until this year 

  • IMG_2279.jpeg

  • Don't let the door hit your ass Kevvy!... On to the next idiot they hire...

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I would preferred to clean house completely 

    I'm out of "reactions" already, but I agree with this.

    I can't help but wonder if Jimmy knows he has a puppet in AB, hope not. 

    Maybe AB is great at salary cap stuff. Picking players, he's been average at best until this year 

    @bob806 said:

    I'm out of "reactions" already, but I agree with this.

    I can't help but wonder if Jimmy knows he has a puppet in AB, hope not. 

    Maybe AB is great at salary cap stuff. Picking players, he's been average at best until this year 

    Key point is "this year". I suspect DePodesta had very little to do with this draft, AB went solo on it and nailed it beside Gabriel which was obviously Stefanski's pick. If you watched Haslam's press conference it's clear he has faith in AB manifested in that he will lead the coaching search. Tyson Campbell was also a great trade. Let's see what he does on Offense this year.

  • @bob806 said:

    I'm out of "reactions" already, but I agree with this.

    I can't help but wonder if Jimmy knows he has a puppet in AB, hope not. 

    Maybe AB is great at salary cap stuff. Picking players, he's been average at best until this year 

    Key point is "this year". I suspect DePodesta had very little to do with this draft, AB went solo on it and nailed it beside Gabriel which was obviously Stefanski's pick. If you watched Haslam's press conference it's clear he has faith in AB manifested in that he will lead the coaching search. Tyson Campbell was also a great trade. Let's see what he does on Offense this year.

    @mddawg said:

    Key point is "this year". I suspect DePodesta had very little to do with this draft, AB went solo on it and nailed it beside Gabriel which was obviously Stefanski's pick. If you watched Haslam's press conference it's clear he has faith in AB manifested in that he will lead the coaching search. Tyson Campbell was also a great trade. Let's see what he does on Offense this year.

    He will suck again....just like every year. He got lucky in last year's draft. He should have been fired before Stefanski.

  • @mddawg said:

    Key point is "this year". I suspect DePodesta had very little to do with this draft, AB went solo on it and nailed it beside Gabriel which was obviously Stefanski's pick. If you watched Haslam's press conference it's clear he has faith in AB manifested in that he will lead the coaching search. Tyson Campbell was also a great trade. Let's see what he does on Offense this year.

    He will suck again....just like every year. He got lucky in last year's draft. He should have been fired before Stefanski.

    @lodilobo said:

    He will suck again....just like every year. He got lucky in last year's draft. He should have been fired before Stefanski.

    I hope you are wrong on the sucking again, but this next draft should let us know if he got his act together or not.

  • So when AB sputters this coming draft or makes another disastrous trade or free agent move and he’s out door - we have an AB led HC search and selection up in the air once again with a new GM.

    I would preferred to clean house completely 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    So when AB sputters this coming draft or makes another disastrous trade or free agent move and he’s out door - we have an AB led HC search and selection up in the air once again with a new GM.

    I would preferred to clean house completely 

    When we clean house it doesn't go well. That said, I would have given Kevin 1 more year and then if the draft was bad and the team sucked, clean house. You do make a valid point if AB sucks next season and he is let go then you stuck with his coach.

  • @jrb12711 said:

     I refuse to believe WR's aren't able to get open against the Bengals, 

    For a team that's about to draft a WR as their 1st overall, is it really that much of a stretch?   Also worth pointing out, WR's "getting open" also ties directly in to pass pro and time for the routes to properly develop.    No small secret that this OL hasn't given any QB behind it much time. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    For a team that's about to draft a WR as their 1st overall, is it really that much of a stretch?   Also worth pointing out, WR's "getting open" also ties directly in to pass pro and time for the routes to properly develop.    No small secret that this OL hasn't given any QB behind it much time. 

    Building the line should be the top priority.

  • I would give Schwartz the job and focus on the offensive coordinator spot 

  • @bob806 said:

    I'm out of "reactions" already, but I agree with this.

    I can't help but wonder if Jimmy knows he has a puppet in AB, hope not. 

    Maybe AB is great at salary cap stuff. Picking players, he's been average at best until this year 

    Key point is "this year". I suspect DePodesta had very little to do with this draft, AB went solo on it and nailed it beside Gabriel which was obviously Stefanski's pick. If you watched Haslam's press conference it's clear he has faith in AB manifested in that he will lead the coaching search. Tyson Campbell was also a great trade. Let's see what he does on Offense this year.

    @mddawg said:

    Key point is "this year". I suspect DePodesta had very little to do with this draft, AB went solo on it and nailed it beside Gabriel which was obviously Stefanski's pick. If you watched Haslam's press conference it's clear he has faith in AB manifested in that he will lead the coaching search. Tyson Campbell was also a great trade. Let's see what he does on Offense this year.

    This year?  Look at the Offensive Tackles explaining why there was no protection on the edges.  Sticking with a very overweight lazy guy that can't bend at LT = a 3rd consecutive early IR visit. (same story for the 3rd consecutive year).  When Ohio State fully understood he wasn't LT material (The GM needed to have this position somewhere in the planning the last 2-3 years).  Then there's the Porcelain RT that doesn't dress if he cuts himself shaving.  This gave us NO DECENT setup for a thorough evaluation of any of our QBs.  Wasted time.  

    If the Browns have another bad year and Berry gets FINALLY gets fired - now you have a 1st year HC here inheriting a new GM (who may not find this HC compatible) Berry sucks. See the list of Pro Bowl players I put in my last post that Berry inherited here. Then, see how many of his draft picks since then have made their 1st Pro Bowl here.

  • I would give Schwartz the job and focus on the offensive coordinator spot 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I would give Schwartz the job and focus on the offensive coordinator spot 

    You're not going to get any respectable OC to take a lateral move and come to CLE.  That's a pipe dream.   

    Leaves you two options.     

    - Hire Schwartz and hope he hits an absolute home run hiring an assistant from another franchise who has, god willing, previously called *some* plays.

    - Hire a promising OC as HC, contingent upon Schwartz still running the defense, while backing up the brinks truck for Schwartz (again)

     That's about it.   The problem is, like any HC, they're going to want "their" staff.  So you've already created something of a situation with friction and a certain control by limiting the decisions said (potential) HC can make.  I.E. Defensive Coordinator.        Good coaches are autonomous.  Give them the right roster and let them work. 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I would give Schwartz the job and focus on the offensive coordinator spot 

    You're not going to get any respectable OC to take a lateral move and come to CLE.  That's a pipe dream.   

    Leaves you two options.     

    - Hire Schwartz and hope he hits an absolute home run hiring an assistant from another franchise who has, god willing, previously called *some* plays.

    - Hire a promising OC as HC, contingent upon Schwartz still running the defense, while backing up the brinks truck for Schwartz (again)

     That's about it.   The problem is, like any HC, they're going to want "their" staff.  So you've already created something of a situation with friction and a certain control by limiting the decisions said (potential) HC can make.  I.E. Defensive Coordinator.        Good coaches are autonomous.  Give them the right roster and let them work. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    You're not going to get any respectable OC to take a lateral move and come to CLE.  That's a pipe dream.   

    Leaves you two options.     

    - Hire Schwartz and hope he hits an absolute home run hiring an assistant from another franchise who has, god willing, previously called *some* plays.

    - Hire a promising OC as HC, contingent upon Schwartz still running the defense, while backing up the brinks truck for Schwartz (again)

    Hire Schwartz and  continue Rees as OC is another option. Apparently the FO is high on Rees.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    You're not going to get any respectable OC to take a lateral move and come to CLE.  That's a pipe dream.   

    Leaves you two options.     

    - Hire Schwartz and hope he hits an absolute home run hiring an assistant from another franchise who has, god willing, previously called *some* plays.

    - Hire a promising OC as HC, contingent upon Schwartz still running the defense, while backing up the brinks truck for Schwartz (again)

    Hire Schwartz and  continue Rees as OC is another option. Apparently the FO is high on Rees.

    @mddawg said:

    Hire Schwartz and continue Rees as OC is another option. Apparently the FO is high on Rees.

    If that's the case then firing Stefanski was pure optics and, next to vanity, one of the greatest sins - pride.   

    If the FO is high on Rees, yet they (And the fans) feel the offense is "stale"....   why would you retain the same play caller?

  • Ugh. Not great results this season obviously but Browns fired Belichick for less, so good times.

    Here's hoping the coach search goes better than PennState's - and they lucked into one of [what should have been] their top4 options.

    I swear to god - Rees is not good.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I would give Schwartz the job and focus on the offensive coordinator spot 

    You're not going to get any respectable OC to take a lateral move and come to CLE.  That's a pipe dream.   

    Leaves you two options.     

    - Hire Schwartz and hope he hits an absolute home run hiring an assistant from another franchise who has, god willing, previously called *some* plays.

    - Hire a promising OC as HC, contingent upon Schwartz still running the defense, while backing up the brinks truck for Schwartz (again)

     That's about it.   The problem is, like any HC, they're going to want "their" staff.  So you've already created something of a situation with friction and a certain control by limiting the decisions said (potential) HC can make.  I.E. Defensive Coordinator.        Good coaches are autonomous.  Give them the right roster and let them work. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    You're not going to get any respectable OC to take a lateral move and come to CLE.  That's a pipe dream.   

    Leaves you two options.     

    - Hire Schwartz and hope he hits an absolute home run hiring an assistant from another franchise who has, god willing, previously called *some* plays.

    - Hire a promising OC as HC, contingent upon Schwartz still running the defense, while backing up the brinks truck for Schwartz (again)

     That's about it.   The problem is, like any HC, they're going to want "their" staff.  So you've already created something of a situation with friction and a certain control by limiting the decisions said (potential) HC can make.  I.E. Defensive Coordinator.        Good coaches are autonomous.  Give them the right roster and let them work. 

    I would not expect either:

    1. A current offensive coordinator making a lateral move to the Browns given our roster and past dysfunction.  Although I think having a guy like Schwartz that has “been around” here and there would help. 

    2. Schwartz staying on board as a DC I don’t see that and I agree I don’t think a new HC wants that selection process taken away from them.  
     

    I believe AB is on borrowed time which makes this HC selection tenuous at best.  The wrong move too. 

    So I proposed Schwartz former HC, good rapport with players, led the best unit of our team (not hard with this offense and special teams).  He can hand pluck an OC that is a position coach or running game coordinator or passing game coordinator that is blocked doesn’t mind Cleveland winters and wants a raise.   If you show out enough and AB gets canned and Schwartz heads out too you’ve moved from position coach to OC to Potentially an HC candidate in two years.  Let’s limit AB’s purchasing power. 

  • @mddawg said:

    Hire Schwartz and continue Rees as OC is another option. Apparently the FO is high on Rees.

    If that's the case then firing Stefanski was pure optics and, next to vanity, one of the greatest sins - pride.   

    If the FO is high on Rees, yet they (And the fans) feel the offense is "stale"....   why would you retain the same play caller?

    @tiamat63 said:

    If the FO is high on Rees, yet they (And the fans) feel the offense is "stale"....   why would you retain the same play caller?

    There are those that think the play calling improved under Rees.  I didn't notice much of a difference.  They both tried their trickery and jet sweeps.  Perhaps Rees used those plays a little more.  And of course, he was limited as to how much of the playbook was his plays.  But it's certainly a possibility that Schwartz gets the HC job and that he liked what Rees was doing and keeps him as OC.  I don't know what the odds would be, but it's not zero.

    I hope Berry is better at picking HC's as he is at picking OLinemen.  

  • Curt Cignetti?

    I wish KS would have been given 2 more seasons.