Skip to content

Stefanski Gone

The Browns Board
151 35 2.8k 1
  • @mddawg said:

    Agree except Gruden.

    I don't want anything to do with that guy.  I want somebody who's smart.

    @orion said:

    I don't want anything to do with that guy.  I want somebody who's smart.

    Yeah, but think of the great press conferences with accompanying grimaces, wisecracks and great humor. MAFA-Make the Browns Fun Again.?

  • @mddawg said:

    Agree except Gruden. What did he do in LV? In fact he didn't do much in TB after inheriting Tony Dungy's team and winning the SB with a historic defense.

    Well He did with "Tony's team" What Tony couldn't do with it... Tony couldn't win a sausage without Manning... So... Theres that... Gruden won a Sausage with a limp wristed QB...

    @nickers said:

    Well He did with "Tony's team" What Tony couldn't do with it... Tony couldn't win a sausage without Manning... So... Theres that... Gruden won a Sausage with a limp wristed QB...

    And faced his former team who continued the same offense he ran in the SB. He barely had winning seasons afterwards in the weakest division in football with a 57-55 record. Don't know why everyone's looking at him through rose tinted glasses because he advertised himself on ESPN's quarterback show.

  • sydS syd

    @alporcini said:

    Nice post.  I’d add to it the folks who bad mouthed Peyton Manning after an interception filled rookie year. 

    better be carful or you will piss this guy off

    jrb12711

    • jrb12711Proficient
    • REGISTERED
    • Gender:Male

    Annnnd there’s the yearly “but Peyton Manning sucked his rookie year!”

    to be painfully blunt, someone’s rookie season who was during a time you could walk right to the gate at the airport isn’t an apt comparison. Friends was a great show but the jokes get pretty dated after almost 30 years later, ya know. same concept for making this argument.

    @syd said:

    better be carful or you will piss this guy off

    jrb12711

    • jrb12711Proficient
    • REGISTERED
    • Gender:Male

    Annnnd there’s the yearly “but Peyton Manning sucked his rookie year!”

    to be painfully blunt, someone’s rookie season who was during a time you could walk right to the gate at the airport isn’t an apt comparison. Friends was a great show but the jokes get pretty dated after almost 30 years later, ya know. same concept for making this argument.

    Boy, I've really struck your little heart huh? I can absolutely tell you I've never been angry - presenting facts and information and receiving nothing but nonsense isn't anger, it's ignorance. Alas, though, the ignorant don't comprehend it that way.

    I do find it flattering how much you're thinking of me, though.

  • @syd said:

    better be carful or you will piss this guy off

    jrb12711

    • jrb12711Proficient
    • REGISTERED
    • Gender:Male

    Annnnd there’s the yearly “but Peyton Manning sucked his rookie year!”

    to be painfully blunt, someone’s rookie season who was during a time you could walk right to the gate at the airport isn’t an apt comparison. Friends was a great show but the jokes get pretty dated after almost 30 years later, ya know. same concept for making this argument.

    Boy, I've really struck your little heart huh? I can absolutely tell you I've never been angry - presenting facts and information and receiving nothing but nonsense isn't anger, it's ignorance. Alas, though, the ignorant don't comprehend it that way.

    I do find it flattering how much you're thinking of me, though.

    @jrb12711 said:

    Boy, I've really struck your little heart huh? I can absolutely tell you I've never been angry - presenting facts and information and receiving nothing but nonsense isn't anger, it's ignorance. Alas, though, the ignorant don't comprehend it that way.

    I do find it flattering how much you're thinking of me, though.

    LOL you are just one of those fella's who cant admit that they were wrong, hey numbskull which qb won more games for us this year ?

  • @flugel said:

    You're not old enough to remember Troy Aikman's rookie year so I'm not buying it. Not at this point sorry.   As a Unit?  With what Center Pocic or Wypler or Zinter?  With what Tackles protecting the edges?  With what WRs getting open immediately enough to compensate for OTs whiffing on the edge??  Sorry, I'm not playing pretend here.  YES, you have overhead films of him not seeing an open guy here or there which is common among rookie QBs. Evaluating him as a rookie is no different than evaluating Troy Aikman as a rookie. Many circumstances are better than this one and you know that.  It says nothing about what he's capable of when OTackles can pass pro on the edges.  It says nothing about when a WR can get open immediately.  

    First and foremost, Aikman might be the most overrated HOF QB of all time. I'll just leave that crumb, but alas. Fun Fact- did you know that Aikman's highest year of TD passes was 23? That would have him tied for 14th in today's NFL with the likes of Jacoby Brissett. What most argue was his 'best year' the man threw 13 TD passes.

    Most importantly, as I've argued previously, comparing a rookie year of someone 36 years ago just isn't valid. I'm not arguing Aikman wasn't a good QB, but was a QB who played in an entirely different era of the sport. I can't find it for the life of me, but it's something crazy that shotgun was used less than 10% of snaps, where it's over 80% today. We could crack open a beer and argue what that means, but it's a fool's game to compare. 

    Further, today we have advanced abilities to see severe flaws in player's game (please review the data I shared above). As I've mentioned, I'm not a Sanders hater and I wanted nothing more than him to show enough to be the guy. I, however, don't see that at all and data backs that up.

    @jrb12711 said:

    First and foremost, Aikman might be the most overrated HOF QB of all time. I'll just leave that crumb, but alas. Fun Fact- did you know that Aikman's highest year of TD passes was 23? That would have him tied for 14th in today's NFL with the likes of Jacoby Brissett. What most argue was his 'best year' the man threw 13 TD passes.

    Most importantly, as I've argued previously, comparing a rookie year of someone 36 years ago just isn't valid. I'm not arguing Aikman wasn't a good QB, but was a QB who played in an entirely different era of the sport. I can't find it for the life of me, but it's something crazy that shotgun was used less than 10% of snaps, where it's over 80% today. We could crack open a beer and argue what that means, but it's a fool's game to compare. 

    Further, today we have advanced abilities to see severe flaws in player's game (please review the data I shared above). As I've mentioned, I'm not a Sanders hater and I wanted nothing more than him to show enough to be the guy. I, however, don't see that at all and data backs that up.

    First thanks for your points and difference of opinion. I didn't compare Sanders to a 36 year old QB - I compared Sanders to Troy Aikman when he was a rookie QB.  Second, that's okay if you think the guy was overrated once he had a great team around him. He made the HOF and won 3 Super Bowls.  I'm guessing your beef is he should have because Dallas had a GREAT OL, a Multi-Pro Bowls WR (Irvin), a Multi-Pro Bowls TE (Novacek), a Multi Pro Bowls RB (Emmitt Smith), and a Multi-Pro Bowls FB (Moose Johnston).  If that's not enough, Dallas had a GREAT defense providing him a margin of error most QBs can only dream about. Are you wanting me thinking he was just the 1st version of Trent Dilfer getting dragged to the Super Bowls by a great team?  Because I think once the game slowed down for him and it all clicked - he power steered that team to Super Bowls. Here's the thing though, far too many goof balls in that fan base thought he sucked and needed to go as early as 5-6 starts into that 1st year.  That's where I'm comparing him (Shedeur) to Aikman. This was when hardly any of those Multi Pro Bowls players/positions I just mentioned above even knew each other.

    I don't consider you a dumb fan at all so this is healthy to disagree. I'm just trying to point out that I'm seeing way too many premature conclusions about Shedeur while he's in the process of getting enough reps so that the game slows down for him.  #68 whiffing frequently at LT ain't making things feel slow for him. Meanwhile a very smart HC in Denver concluded Jerry Jeudy wasn't good enough to keep (he's the Browns #1 WR all our QBs had to count on - and he's dropped a ton of passes when he does get separation).  

    Who knows how this is going to turn out with Shedeur but it would be nice to see him with a talent at WR and on the OL.  Many of us that shoot the breeze in here are all hoping the FO gets him this surrounding talent. 

  • @flugel said:

    They're no different than all of the Dallas Cowboy fans that were certain Steve Walsh was their franchise QB when rookie QB (and future HOF QB) Troy Aikman was their version of a bum and a horrible draft pick.  My how different QB evaluations became when he had 2 very good OTs protecting the edges as well as a terrific interior OLine.  They ended up winning 3 Super Bowl Championships with the QB much of their fanbase was in a hurry to bury during his rookie year.  We have NO IDEA what we have in Shedeur until unreasonable surroundings are upgraded with far more talent (ie; adding 2 WRs that can get open and catch the ball & 2

    Nice post.  I’d add to it the folks who bad mouthed Peyton Manning after an interception filled rookie year. 
     

    I’d like to see more of Shadeur with an offensive line that gives him some time and a top tier receiver. In fact, I take both with our two #1’s. 

    @alporcini said:

    Nice post.  I’d add to it the folks who bad mouthed Peyton Manning after an interception filled rookie year. 
     

    I’d like to see more of Shadeur with an offensive line that gives him some time and a top tier receiver. In fact, I take both with our two #1’s. 

    Not only did Peyton Manning have Marvin Harrison in his 1st NFL huddle - there was also a RB named Marshall Faulk. Therefore, even though he threw 28 INTs as a rookie - he also threw 26 TDs.   Faulk not only rushed for over 1300 yards that year; but he also had over 900 yards receiving on 78 receptions.  Faulk ran 4.3s at the time so he and Harrison were great toys to a rookie QB like Peyton at the time.

  • should have just stuck with Stefanski. build up a team then insert a QB (maybe Sanders ) Look at Seattle they could very well go to The Super Bowl with Sam Darnold as their QB

  • sydS syd

    should have just stuck with Stefanski. build up a team then insert a QB (maybe Sanders ) Look at Seattle they could very well go to The Super Bowl with Sam Darnold as their QB

    @syd said:

    should have just stuck with Stefanski. build up a team then insert a QB (maybe Sanders ) Look at Seattle they could very well go to The Super Bowl with Sam Darnold as their QB

    Let's be honest Stefanski was no longer a good coach. In a historically bad AFC North he still couldn't compete for the division. Here are the four losses due to poor coaching:

    Cinci (wk 1) our putrid offense couldn't score more points against a terrible Cinci defense, while limiting an explosive Cinci offense to less than 20 pts game plan was poor. The loss wasn't just due to special teams. Losing to both one win teams, losing to Minnesota (simply outcoached on that one) plus even Buffalo was a winnable game. That would've put as 9-8 or 10-7 and he'd still be here.

  • Harbaugh just got fired. 

  • @syd said:

    should have just stuck with Stefanski. build up a team then insert a QB (maybe Sanders ) Look at Seattle they could very well go to The Super Bowl with Sam Darnold as their QB

    Let's be honest Stefanski was no longer a good coach. In a historically bad AFC North he still couldn't compete for the division. Here are the four losses due to poor coaching:

    Cinci (wk 1) our putrid offense couldn't score more points against a terrible Cinci defense, while limiting an explosive Cinci offense to less than 20 pts game plan was poor. The loss wasn't just due to special teams. Losing to both one win teams, losing to Minnesota (simply outcoached on that one) plus even Buffalo was a winnable game. That would've put as 9-8 or 10-7 and he'd still be here.

    @mddawg said:

    That would've put as 9-8 or 10-7 and he'd still be here.

    Stef had no chance to get there.  Horrific OL, WR's and mid round rookie QB's.   

  • Harbaugh just got fired. 

    @secondwave said:

    Harbaugh just got fired. 

    So I'm assuming that means he's good?

  • @syd said:

    should have just stuck with Stefanski. build up a team then insert a QB (maybe Sanders ) Look at Seattle they could very well go to The Super Bowl with Sam Darnold as their QB

    Let's be honest Stefanski was no longer a good coach. In a historically bad AFC North he still couldn't compete for the division. Here are the four losses due to poor coaching:

    Cinci (wk 1) our putrid offense couldn't score more points against a terrible Cinci defense, while limiting an explosive Cinci offense to less than 20 pts game plan was poor. The loss wasn't just due to special teams. Losing to both one win teams, losing to Minnesota (simply outcoached on that one) plus even Buffalo was a winnable game. That would've put as 9-8 or 10-7 and he'd still be here.

    @mddawg said:

    Let's be honest Stefanski was no longer a good coach.

    I would have stuck with Stefanski & Sanders for next year, if it worked out Great, if not ( and it is not like i think we will be much good next year)   then get a new coach and draft a qb high, so untill then build up the freaking team  and as i said Look at Seattle 

  • @nickers said:

    Well now that Steflunkski has been canned:...
    My top picks are as follows...
     
    Jim Schwarts:
     
    Staltwart  Defensive Coordinator with previous head coaching exp. While he was somewhat a disater in Detroit... I'd like to think he has learned and I think he can hire a good OC and ST's coach...
    Kliff Kngsbury:
     
    Was the Arizonal Cardinals HC and struggled to get Kylar"smurf" Murray to play meaningful football. Also has a problem with self ego.. However... He was a pretty decent QB in HS and College and would hope he to has grown from his last head coaching stint.
     
    Jon Gruden:
     
    If he can somehow get his legal affairs with the NFL in order, settled and then be reinstated... This would be my first choice. He's from the Area.. He loves Cleveland.. Loves Football and has won it all in Tampa.
     
    John Harbaugh:
     
    Rumors are swirling in Baltimore he might get canned. Another coach from Ohio I would nab instantly... He's always shown a solid steady hand in coaching. Also has won it all..
     
    These are my current choices.. Feel free to mention anyone I haven't mentioned

    Like every time the HC gets scapegoated in this never ending sequel - I REALLY wish the only problem here was Stefanski.  Unfortunately, which one of the countless scapegoats hired himself?   Who's gonna do the hiring this time to make this time different than all of the other ones leading us right here?

    @flugel said:

    Like every time the HC gets scapegoated in this never ending sequel - I REALLY wish the only problem here was Stefanski.  Unfortunately, which one of the countless scapegoats hired himself?   Who's gonna do the hiring this time to make this time different than all of the other ones leading us right here?

    Andrew Berry gave Stefanski not one…but two rookies QB’s, not a single NFL caliber OT and abysmal WR’s.

    Go win us a Super Bowl Kevin.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    First and foremost, Aikman might be the most overrated HOF QB of all time. I'll just leave that crumb, but alas. Fun Fact- did you know that Aikman's highest year of TD passes was 23? That would have him tied for 14th in today's NFL with the likes of Jacoby Brissett. What most argue was his 'best year' the man threw 13 TD passes.

    Most importantly, as I've argued previously, comparing a rookie year of someone 36 years ago just isn't valid. I'm not arguing Aikman wasn't a good QB, but was a QB who played in an entirely different era of the sport. I can't find it for the life of me, but it's something crazy that shotgun was used less than 10% of snaps, where it's over 80% today. We could crack open a beer and argue what that means, but it's a fool's game to compare. 

    Further, today we have advanced abilities to see severe flaws in player's game (please review the data I shared above). As I've mentioned, I'm not a Sanders hater and I wanted nothing more than him to show enough to be the guy. I, however, don't see that at all and data backs that up.

    First thanks for your points and difference of opinion. I didn't compare Sanders to a 36 year old QB - I compared Sanders to Troy Aikman when he was a rookie QB.  Second, that's okay if you think the guy was overrated once he had a great team around him. He made the HOF and won 3 Super Bowls.  I'm guessing your beef is he should have because Dallas had a GREAT OL, a Multi-Pro Bowls WR (Irvin), a Multi-Pro Bowls TE (Novacek), a Multi Pro Bowls RB (Emmitt Smith), and a Multi-Pro Bowls FB (Moose Johnston).  If that's not enough, Dallas had a GREAT defense providing him a margin of error most QBs can only dream about. Are you wanting me thinking he was just the 1st version of Trent Dilfer getting dragged to the Super Bowls by a great team?  Because I think once the game slowed down for him and it all clicked - he power steered that team to Super Bowls. Here's the thing though, far too many goof balls in that fan base thought he sucked and needed to go as early as 5-6 starts into that 1st year.  That's where I'm comparing him (Shedeur) to Aikman. This was when hardly any of those Multi Pro Bowls players/positions I just mentioned above even knew each other.

    I don't consider you a dumb fan at all so this is healthy to disagree. I'm just trying to point out that I'm seeing way too many premature conclusions about Shedeur while he's in the process of getting enough reps so that the game slows down for him.  #68 whiffing frequently at LT ain't making things feel slow for him. Meanwhile a very smart HC in Denver concluded Jerry Jeudy wasn't good enough to keep (he's the Browns #1 WR all our QBs had to count on - and he's dropped a ton of passes when he does get separation).  

    Who knows how this is going to turn out with Shedeur but it would be nice to see him with a talent at WR and on the OL.  Many of us that shoot the breeze in here are all hoping the FO gets him this surrounding talent. 

    @flugel said:

    First thanks for your points and difference of opinion. I didn't compare Sanders to a 36 year old QB - I compared Sanders to Troy Aikman when he was a rookie QB.  Second, that's okay if you think the guy was overrated once he had a great team around him. He made the HOF and won 3 Super Bowls.  I'm guessing your beef is he should have because Dallas had a GREAT OL, a Multi-Pro Bowls WR (Irvin), a Multi-Pro Bowls TE (Novacek), a Multi Pro Bowls RB (Emmitt Smith), and a Multi-Pro Bowls FB (Moose Johnston).  If that's not enough, Dallas had a GREAT defense providing him a margin of error most QBs can only dream about. Are you wanting me thinking he was just the 1st version of Trent Dilfer getting dragged to the Super Bowls by a great team?  Because I think once the game slowed down for him and it all clicked - he power steered that team to Super Bowls. Here's the thing though, far too many goof balls in that fan base thought he sucked and needed to go as early as 5-6 starts into that 1st year.  That's where I'm comparing him (Shedeur) to Aikman. This was when hardly any of those Multi Pro Bowls players/positions I just mentioned above even knew each other.

    This is way too damn civilized- make nonsensical comments without basis like the others on here man! Haha

    One small correction- what I meant by my comment is that Aikman's rookie season was 36 years ago, not that he was 36 years old. My (larger) point is that at some point you just have to stop comparing players of old to players of new. Yes, at the core of it guys are still tossing around a pigskin and crashing into each other, but it's really the ship of Theseus thought process of at some point, so much has changed that's it not the same ship (or game). I mean, a dude who threw 13 regular season TD passes in Aikman got MVP votes in 1993. That's wild to think about today.

    I do completely hear you- I have never once argued that Sanders (and Gabriel for that matter) were saddled with bottom 5 units at both the OL and WR position, with our WR core most likely the worst in the NFL. But with 7 games under his belt, most metrics I use as guiding lights suggest the 'it' factor just isn't there for the dude. If they decide to roll with Sanders, I do sincerely hope they bring in a quality, challenge for the spot back-up (Mac Jones, just as an example) at a very minimum. I would not want to see another scenario of bringing in a developmental 3rd+ round pick and a veteran placeholder.

  • @flugel said:

    First thanks for your points and difference of opinion. I didn't compare Sanders to a 36 year old QB - I compared Sanders to Troy Aikman when he was a rookie QB.  Second, that's okay if you think the guy was overrated once he had a great team around him. He made the HOF and won 3 Super Bowls.  I'm guessing your beef is he should have because Dallas had a GREAT OL, a Multi-Pro Bowls WR (Irvin), a Multi-Pro Bowls TE (Novacek), a Multi Pro Bowls RB (Emmitt Smith), and a Multi-Pro Bowls FB (Moose Johnston).  If that's not enough, Dallas had a GREAT defense providing him a margin of error most QBs can only dream about. Are you wanting me thinking he was just the 1st version of Trent Dilfer getting dragged to the Super Bowls by a great team?  Because I think once the game slowed down for him and it all clicked - he power steered that team to Super Bowls. Here's the thing though, far too many goof balls in that fan base thought he sucked and needed to go as early as 5-6 starts into that 1st year.  That's where I'm comparing him (Shedeur) to Aikman. This was when hardly any of those Multi Pro Bowls players/positions I just mentioned above even knew each other.

    This is way too damn civilized- make nonsensical comments without basis like the others on here man! Haha

    One small correction- what I meant by my comment is that Aikman's rookie season was 36 years ago, not that he was 36 years old. My (larger) point is that at some point you just have to stop comparing players of old to players of new. Yes, at the core of it guys are still tossing around a pigskin and crashing into each other, but it's really the ship of Theseus thought process of at some point, so much has changed that's it not the same ship (or game). I mean, a dude who threw 13 regular season TD passes in Aikman got MVP votes in 1993. That's wild to think about today.

    I do completely hear you- I have never once argued that Sanders (and Gabriel for that matter) were saddled with bottom 5 units at both the OL and WR position, with our WR core most likely the worst in the NFL. But with 7 games under his belt, most metrics I use as guiding lights suggest the 'it' factor just isn't there for the dude. If they decide to roll with Sanders, I do sincerely hope they bring in a quality, challenge for the spot back-up (Mac Jones, just as an example) at a very minimum. I would not want to see another scenario of bringing in a developmental 3rd+ round pick and a veteran placeholder.

    @jrb12711 said:

    This is way too damn civilized- make nonsensical comments without basis like the others on here man! Haha

    Haha, you funny, would you prefer this guy

    Dan Pitcher’s connection to Browns’ front office make him a legitimate HC contender

    Pitcher offers a unique profile, with experience both in player operations and coaching. He broke into the NFL in 2012 as a scouting assistant with the Colts, and wound up spending four years with Berry in Indy. 

    He transitioned into coaching as an offensive assistant in 2016, before getting promoted to QBs coach in 2020 — the same year the Bengals drafted Joe Burrow No. 1 overall. Cincinnati’s had strong success under center ever since, from Burrow, to most recently Jake Browning and Joe Flacco.

    The Flacco connection between Cleveland and Cincinnati adds another interesting layer to Pitcher’s candidacy, as NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported this week that Browns leadership felt it was a bad look on ousted coach Kevin Stefanski that Flacco improved on the field, after the Browns traded him to the Bengals after Burrow’s toe injury in early October.

    Ian Rapoport@RapSheet
    From The Insiders on @NFLNetwork: The #Browns needed a new voice, and that new voice has some important decisions coming with a quick turnaround being possible.

    There will undoubtedly be interview announcements that Browns fans can gloss over and never gain any real traction. When you start connecting the dots here, Pitcher is not one of those candidates.

  • May be an image of football and text that says 'OPFIR SONY SONY @ALLF @ALLPROLINES DESHAUN WATSON HAS GOTTEN MORE PEOPLE FIRED THAN #METOO'

  • WHISPERING IN EARS: After coaches are released and happy situations broken up, you hear a lot of crazy things start to emerge. Pete Prisco said on air saying that Kevin Stefanski wasn't a fan of the Deshaun Watson trade, breaking four years of silence about the disaster.

    NFL on CBS 🏈@NFLonCBS
    Will Kevin Stefanski be coaching the Browns next season?

    Here's what @PriscoCBS has to say. 👀
  • WHISPERING IN EARS: After coaches are released and happy situations broken up, you hear a lot of crazy things start to emerge. Pete Prisco said on air saying that Kevin Stefanski wasn't a fan of the Deshaun Watson trade, breaking four years of silence about the disaster.

    NFL on CBS 🏈@NFLonCBS
    Will Kevin Stefanski be coaching the Browns next season?

    Here's what @PriscoCBS has to say. 👀

    @orion said:

    WHISPERING IN EARS: After coaches are released and happy situations broken up, you hear a lot of crazy things start to emerge. Pete Prisco said on air saying that Kevin Stefanski wasn't a fan of the Deshaun Watson trade, breaking four years of silence about the disaster.

    Not even the guy who made it happen is a fan of it ?

    Easy assumption to make really

  • WHISPERING IN EARS: After coaches are released and happy situations broken up, you hear a lot of crazy things start to emerge. Pete Prisco said on air saying that Kevin Stefanski wasn't a fan of the Deshaun Watson trade, breaking four years of silence about the disaster.

    NFL on CBS 🏈@NFLonCBS
    Will Kevin Stefanski be coaching the Browns next season?

    Here's what @PriscoCBS has to say. 👀

    @orion said:

    WHISPERING IN EARS: After coaches are released and happy situations broken up, you hear a lot of crazy things start to emerge. Pete Prisco said on air saying that Kevin Stefanski wasn't a fan of the Deshaun Watson trade, breaking four years of silence about the disaster.

    there is that and that he did not want to fire Alex Van Pelt

  • If we hire Schwartz, we get a pretty dang good defense to start '26.