Skip to content

Tale of the Tape - Final '25

The Browns Board
8 6 169 1
  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #1

    image.png.7d9eb3a6ba080b934f6048ff0bde83e2.png

    So this is who we were.  We were only good at two things, pressuring the QB and defending the pass...which go hand and hand.

    Our rushing offense: 27th -  That's all on the OLine.  Judkins was hit behind the LOS more than any other RB (as I recall).

    Passing offense: 31st -  That's the result of rookie QB's,  with poor pass protection and Practice Squad type WR play.  

    Rushing Defense: 16th -  Ended up middle of the pack.  There was a noticeable falloff after Maliek Collins got injured.  And frankly, since it's difficult to pass against us teams may run more.  

    Passing Defense:  3rd -  The two headed monster of pressuring the passer and covering the receivers.  The former helps the latter.  Trading Newsome for Campbell was an upgrade.

    For The Future:  Aside from the whole coaching thing -  We have a solid RB room with Judkins, Sampson and some of the guys that we used down the stretch , Sanders, Williams. What the RB's need is to not be getting hit behind the LOS.  

    Improving the OLine is an absolute must for it is the sole reason that we could not run the ball.  And it was no small part of the reason that we couldn't pass the ball.

    Another main team problem is the WR position.  Like the OLine, a total restructure and influx of talent is required.  

    Lastly, the QB position:  This will have to be sorted out between Berry and the new HC (and Haslam).  Possibly Watson benefits the most by getting a new HC.  I can hear Haslam to the new coach, Ya know we DO have Watson on the roster.  Maybe you could make something of him that Stefanski couldn't.  

    And Lastly part 2,  Like it or not we DO have some continuity here with a hand on the pulse of what the team / roster needs are in Andrew Berry.  DePodesta jumped off the ship a couple of months ago so that's one less voice in Haslam and Berry's ear.  

    On a personal note, I'd like an intelligent HC.  No BillHilly's, or Gruden's who don't know 'data' from 'data'.  This person is to be the voice of the team.

  • image.png.7d9eb3a6ba080b934f6048ff0bde83e2.png

    So this is who we were.  We were only good at two things, pressuring the QB and defending the pass...which go hand and hand.

    Our rushing offense: 27th -  That's all on the OLine.  Judkins was hit behind the LOS more than any other RB (as I recall).

    Passing offense: 31st -  That's the result of rookie QB's,  with poor pass protection and Practice Squad type WR play.  

    Rushing Defense: 16th -  Ended up middle of the pack.  There was a noticeable falloff after Maliek Collins got injured.  And frankly, since it's difficult to pass against us teams may run more.  

    Passing Defense:  3rd -  The two headed monster of pressuring the passer and covering the receivers.  The former helps the latter.  Trading Newsome for Campbell was an upgrade.

    For The Future:  Aside from the whole coaching thing -  We have a solid RB room with Judkins, Sampson and some of the guys that we used down the stretch , Sanders, Williams. What the RB's need is to not be getting hit behind the LOS.  

    Improving the OLine is an absolute must for it is the sole reason that we could not run the ball.  And it was no small part of the reason that we couldn't pass the ball.

    Another main team problem is the WR position.  Like the OLine, a total restructure and influx of talent is required.  

    Lastly, the QB position:  This will have to be sorted out between Berry and the new HC (and Haslam).  Possibly Watson benefits the most by getting a new HC.  I can hear Haslam to the new coach, Ya know we DO have Watson on the roster.  Maybe you could make something of him that Stefanski couldn't.  

    And Lastly part 2,  Like it or not we DO have some continuity here with a hand on the pulse of what the team / roster needs are in Andrew Berry.  DePodesta jumped off the ship a couple of months ago so that's one less voice in Haslam and Berry's ear.  

    On a personal note, I'd like an intelligent HC.  No BillHilly's, or Gruden's who don't know 'data' from 'data'.  This person is to be the voice of the team.

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #2

    @orion said:

    image.png.7d9eb3a6ba080b934f6048ff0bde83e2.png

    So this is who we were.  We were only good at two things, pressuring the QB and defending the pass...which go hand and hand.

    Our rushing offense: 27th -  That's all on the OLine.  Judkins was hit behind the LOS more than any other RB (as I recall).

    Passing offense: 31st -  That's the result of rookie QB's,  with poor pass protection and Practice Squad type WR play.  

    Rushing Defense: 16th -  Ended up middle of the pack.  There was a noticeable falloff after Maliek Collins got injured.  And frankly, since it's difficult to pass against us teams may run more.  

    Passing Defense:  3rd -  The two headed monster of pressuring the passer and covering the receivers.  The former helps the latter.  Trading Newsome for Campbell was an upgrade.

    For The Future:  Aside from the whole coaching thing -  We have a solid RB room with Judkins, Sampson and some of the guys that we used down the stretch , Sanders, Williams. What the RB's need is to not be getting hit behind the LOS.  

    Improving the OLine is an absolute must for it is the sole reason that we could not run the ball.  And it was no small part of the reason that we couldn't pass the ball.

    Another main team problem is the WR position.  Like the OLine, a total restructure and influx of talent is required.  

    Lastly, the QB position:  This will have to be sorted out between Berry and the new HC (and Haslam).  Possibly Watson benefits the most by getting a new HC.  I can hear Haslam to the new coach, Ya know we DO have Watson on the roster.  Maybe you could make something of him that Stefanski couldn't.  

    And Lastly part 2,  Like it or not we DO have some continuity here with a hand on the pulse of what the team / roster needs are in Andrew Berry.  DePodesta jumped off the ship a couple of months ago so that's one less voice in Haslam and Berry's ear.  

    On a personal note, I'd like an intelligent HC.  No BillHilly's, or Gruden's who don't know 'data' from 'data'.  This person is to be the voice of the team.

    With Berry picking the coach, we are only going to get, inexperienced, coordinator guy. No big time head coach will want to deal with this front office structure. 
     

  • @orion said:

    image.png.7d9eb3a6ba080b934f6048ff0bde83e2.png

    So this is who we were.  We were only good at two things, pressuring the QB and defending the pass...which go hand and hand.

    Our rushing offense: 27th -  That's all on the OLine.  Judkins was hit behind the LOS more than any other RB (as I recall).

    Passing offense: 31st -  That's the result of rookie QB's,  with poor pass protection and Practice Squad type WR play.  

    Rushing Defense: 16th -  Ended up middle of the pack.  There was a noticeable falloff after Maliek Collins got injured.  And frankly, since it's difficult to pass against us teams may run more.  

    Passing Defense:  3rd -  The two headed monster of pressuring the passer and covering the receivers.  The former helps the latter.  Trading Newsome for Campbell was an upgrade.

    For The Future:  Aside from the whole coaching thing -  We have a solid RB room with Judkins, Sampson and some of the guys that we used down the stretch , Sanders, Williams. What the RB's need is to not be getting hit behind the LOS.  

    Improving the OLine is an absolute must for it is the sole reason that we could not run the ball.  And it was no small part of the reason that we couldn't pass the ball.

    Another main team problem is the WR position.  Like the OLine, a total restructure and influx of talent is required.  

    Lastly, the QB position:  This will have to be sorted out between Berry and the new HC (and Haslam).  Possibly Watson benefits the most by getting a new HC.  I can hear Haslam to the new coach, Ya know we DO have Watson on the roster.  Maybe you could make something of him that Stefanski couldn't.  

    And Lastly part 2,  Like it or not we DO have some continuity here with a hand on the pulse of what the team / roster needs are in Andrew Berry.  DePodesta jumped off the ship a couple of months ago so that's one less voice in Haslam and Berry's ear.  

    On a personal note, I'd like an intelligent HC.  No BillHilly's, or Gruden's who don't know 'data' from 'data'.  This person is to be the voice of the team.

    With Berry picking the coach, we are only going to get, inexperienced, coordinator guy. No big time head coach will want to deal with this front office structure. 
     

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by calfoxwc
    #3

    @browns149 said:

    With Berry picking the coach, we are only going to get, inexperienced, coordinator guy. No big time head coach will want to deal with this front office structure. 
     

    unless they have finally learned their lesson.  If all they still want is a weak follower milktoast they can 

    control, it will still be the same result. With depo gone, it's more likely they will find a HC that they will give the football reins to, a HC who knows what needs to be fixed and how to change things. If Gabriel was Steflunkski's pick, I'm even more happy he got fired.

    Meanwhile, if it was me, I'd be watching this guy closely at the NFL combine. The more I study him, the more I would love to have him be a Cleveland Brown qb.

     https://hawkeyeswire.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/hawkeyes/football/2025/06/07/iowa-football-qb-mark-gronowski-nfl-prospects/84068916007/

    *******************************

       Interesting. I had Josh Allen as my top pick in my mock draft back then. and.....

    https://www.si.com/college/iowa/football/new-iowa-qb-mark-gronowski-gets-early-nfl-draft-attention-01jx2xs3395c

    "

    Gronowski received an invite to the 2025 NFL Combine but declined in favor of rehabbing his injuries and having the opportunity to play in the Big Ten. Still, his success at SDSU, complete with two FCS national championships and a share of the division’s record for most career wins at 49, and his size and athletic profile make him an intriguing prospect in a star-studded quarterback class.

    Gronowski has said he models his game after Josh Allen, both in his skill set and his unique path to the league. 

    “Yeah, I mean, just right off the bat is Josh Allen like I was mentioning earlier, and him coming from, I'll call it a smaller school, Group of Five, Wyoming,” Gronowski said on former Iowa defensive lineman

    . “Him having zero stars, zero offers coming out of high school, having seen him have that chip on his shoulder his entire career and and now he's one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the NFL. I love his play style and I love his story throughout, and I love just following him, watching his play style.”"

  • @browns149 said:

    With Berry picking the coach, we are only going to get, inexperienced, coordinator guy. No big time head coach will want to deal with this front office structure. 
     

    unless they have finally learned their lesson.  If all they still want is a weak follower milktoast they can 

    control, it will still be the same result. With depo gone, it's more likely they will find a HC that they will give the football reins to, a HC who knows what needs to be fixed and how to change things. If Gabriel was Steflunkski's pick, I'm even more happy he got fired.

    Meanwhile, if it was me, I'd be watching this guy closely at the NFL combine. The more I study him, the more I would love to have him be a Cleveland Brown qb.

     https://hawkeyeswire.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/hawkeyes/football/2025/06/07/iowa-football-qb-mark-gronowski-nfl-prospects/84068916007/

    *******************************

       Interesting. I had Josh Allen as my top pick in my mock draft back then. and.....

    https://www.si.com/college/iowa/football/new-iowa-qb-mark-gronowski-gets-early-nfl-draft-attention-01jx2xs3395c

    "

    Gronowski received an invite to the 2025 NFL Combine but declined in favor of rehabbing his injuries and having the opportunity to play in the Big Ten. Still, his success at SDSU, complete with two FCS national championships and a share of the division’s record for most career wins at 49, and his size and athletic profile make him an intriguing prospect in a star-studded quarterback class.

    Gronowski has said he models his game after Josh Allen, both in his skill set and his unique path to the league. 

    “Yeah, I mean, just right off the bat is Josh Allen like I was mentioning earlier, and him coming from, I'll call it a smaller school, Group of Five, Wyoming,” Gronowski said on former Iowa defensive lineman

    . “Him having zero stars, zero offers coming out of high school, having seen him have that chip on his shoulder his entire career and and now he's one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the NFL. I love his play style and I love his story throughout, and I love just following him, watching his play style.”"

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @calfoxwc said:

    unless they have finally learned their lesson.  If all they still want is a weak follower milktoast they can 

    control, it will still be the same result. With depo gone, it's more likely they will find a HC that they will give the football reins to, a HC who knows what needs to be fixed and how to change things. If Gabriel was Steflunkski's pick, I'm even more happy he got fired.

    Meanwhile, if it was me, I'd be watching this guy closely at the NFL combine. The more I study him, the more I would love to have him be a Cleveland Brown qb.

     https://hawkeyeswire.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/hawkeyes/football/2025/06/07/iowa-football-qb-mark-gronowski-nfl-prospects/84068916007/

    *******************************

       Interesting. I had Josh Allen as my top pick in my mock draft back then. and.....

    https://www.si.com/college/iowa/football/new-iowa-qb-mark-gronowski-gets-early-nfl-draft-attention-01jx2xs3395c

    "

    Gronowski received an invite to the 2025 NFL Combine but declined in favor of rehabbing his injuries and having the opportunity to play in the Big Ten. Still, his success at SDSU, complete with two FCS national championships and a share of the division’s record for most career wins at 49, and his size and athletic profile make him an intriguing prospect in a star-studded quarterback class.

    Gronowski has said he models his game after Josh Allen, both in his skill set and his unique path to the league. 

    “Yeah, I mean, just right off the bat is Josh Allen like I was mentioning earlier, and him coming from, I'll call it a smaller school, Group of Five, Wyoming,” Gronowski said on former Iowa defensive lineman

    . “Him having zero stars, zero offers coming out of high school, having seen him have that chip on his shoulder his entire career and and now he's one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the NFL. I love his play style and I love his story throughout, and I love just following him, watching his play style.”"

    My only problem with Allen is I see no Alpha mental toughness in him... I like his talent none the less... I hope this kid is different no matter where he winds up

  • @calfoxwc said:

    unless they have finally learned their lesson.  If all they still want is a weak follower milktoast they can 

    control, it will still be the same result. With depo gone, it's more likely they will find a HC that they will give the football reins to, a HC who knows what needs to be fixed and how to change things. If Gabriel was Steflunkski's pick, I'm even more happy he got fired.

    Meanwhile, if it was me, I'd be watching this guy closely at the NFL combine. The more I study him, the more I would love to have him be a Cleveland Brown qb.

     https://hawkeyeswire.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/hawkeyes/football/2025/06/07/iowa-football-qb-mark-gronowski-nfl-prospects/84068916007/

    *******************************

       Interesting. I had Josh Allen as my top pick in my mock draft back then. and.....

    https://www.si.com/college/iowa/football/new-iowa-qb-mark-gronowski-gets-early-nfl-draft-attention-01jx2xs3395c

    "

    Gronowski received an invite to the 2025 NFL Combine but declined in favor of rehabbing his injuries and having the opportunity to play in the Big Ten. Still, his success at SDSU, complete with two FCS national championships and a share of the division’s record for most career wins at 49, and his size and athletic profile make him an intriguing prospect in a star-studded quarterback class.

    Gronowski has said he models his game after Josh Allen, both in his skill set and his unique path to the league. 

    “Yeah, I mean, just right off the bat is Josh Allen like I was mentioning earlier, and him coming from, I'll call it a smaller school, Group of Five, Wyoming,” Gronowski said on former Iowa defensive lineman

    . “Him having zero stars, zero offers coming out of high school, having seen him have that chip on his shoulder his entire career and and now he's one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the NFL. I love his play style and I love his story throughout, and I love just following him, watching his play style.”"

    My only problem with Allen is I see no Alpha mental toughness in him... I like his talent none the less... I hope this kid is different no matter where he winds up

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @nickers said:

    My only problem with Allen is I see no Alpha mental toughness in him... I like his talent none the less... I hope this kid is different no matter where he winds up

    oh, I see it a LOT. But I did have cataract surgery on both eyes earlier in the year. Colors are amazing, no more starbursts at night. It turns on on the field, a lot like Joe Thomas.

      Cool article about him:

    https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/onsi/news/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-damien-harris-toddler

    Former Bills RB provides hilarious insight into what makes Josh Allen unique

    Former Buffalo Bills running back Damien Harris shared humorous insight on quarterback Josh Allen during a recent podcast appearance.
  • @orion said:

    image.png.7d9eb3a6ba080b934f6048ff0bde83e2.png

    So this is who we were.  We were only good at two things, pressuring the QB and defending the pass...which go hand and hand.

    Our rushing offense: 27th -  That's all on the OLine.  Judkins was hit behind the LOS more than any other RB (as I recall).

    Passing offense: 31st -  That's the result of rookie QB's,  with poor pass protection and Practice Squad type WR play.  

    Rushing Defense: 16th -  Ended up middle of the pack.  There was a noticeable falloff after Maliek Collins got injured.  And frankly, since it's difficult to pass against us teams may run more.  

    Passing Defense:  3rd -  The two headed monster of pressuring the passer and covering the receivers.  The former helps the latter.  Trading Newsome for Campbell was an upgrade.

    For The Future:  Aside from the whole coaching thing -  We have a solid RB room with Judkins, Sampson and some of the guys that we used down the stretch , Sanders, Williams. What the RB's need is to not be getting hit behind the LOS.  

    Improving the OLine is an absolute must for it is the sole reason that we could not run the ball.  And it was no small part of the reason that we couldn't pass the ball.

    Another main team problem is the WR position.  Like the OLine, a total restructure and influx of talent is required.  

    Lastly, the QB position:  This will have to be sorted out between Berry and the new HC (and Haslam).  Possibly Watson benefits the most by getting a new HC.  I can hear Haslam to the new coach, Ya know we DO have Watson on the roster.  Maybe you could make something of him that Stefanski couldn't.  

    And Lastly part 2,  Like it or not we DO have some continuity here with a hand on the pulse of what the team / roster needs are in Andrew Berry.  DePodesta jumped off the ship a couple of months ago so that's one less voice in Haslam and Berry's ear.  

    On a personal note, I'd like an intelligent HC.  No BillHilly's, or Gruden's who don't know 'data' from 'data'.  This person is to be the voice of the team.

    With Berry picking the coach, we are only going to get, inexperienced, coordinator guy. No big time head coach will want to deal with this front office structure. 
     

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @browns149 said:

    With Berry picking the coach, we are only going to get, inexperienced, coordinator guy. No big time head coach will want to deal with this front office structure. 
     

    That's my fear as well.

    The counter argument to that is there's only 32 of these jobs, so it's possible the Browns could land a retread/former coach looking for work.

    I'd prefer a defensive-minded coach that lets a good OC take the reigns. In order to win the AFC North it's pretty simple- stop the run and run the ball. 

  • @orion said:

    image.png.7d9eb3a6ba080b934f6048ff0bde83e2.png

    So this is who we were.  We were only good at two things, pressuring the QB and defending the pass...which go hand and hand.

    Our rushing offense: 27th -  That's all on the OLine.  Judkins was hit behind the LOS more than any other RB (as I recall).

    Passing offense: 31st -  That's the result of rookie QB's,  with poor pass protection and Practice Squad type WR play.  

    Rushing Defense: 16th -  Ended up middle of the pack.  There was a noticeable falloff after Maliek Collins got injured.  And frankly, since it's difficult to pass against us teams may run more.  

    Passing Defense:  3rd -  The two headed monster of pressuring the passer and covering the receivers.  The former helps the latter.  Trading Newsome for Campbell was an upgrade.

    For The Future:  Aside from the whole coaching thing -  We have a solid RB room with Judkins, Sampson and some of the guys that we used down the stretch , Sanders, Williams. What the RB's need is to not be getting hit behind the LOS.  

    Improving the OLine is an absolute must for it is the sole reason that we could not run the ball.  And it was no small part of the reason that we couldn't pass the ball.

    Another main team problem is the WR position.  Like the OLine, a total restructure and influx of talent is required.  

    Lastly, the QB position:  This will have to be sorted out between Berry and the new HC (and Haslam).  Possibly Watson benefits the most by getting a new HC.  I can hear Haslam to the new coach, Ya know we DO have Watson on the roster.  Maybe you could make something of him that Stefanski couldn't.  

    And Lastly part 2,  Like it or not we DO have some continuity here with a hand on the pulse of what the team / roster needs are in Andrew Berry.  DePodesta jumped off the ship a couple of months ago so that's one less voice in Haslam and Berry's ear.  

    On a personal note, I'd like an intelligent HC.  No BillHilly's, or Gruden's who don't know 'data' from 'data'.  This person is to be the voice of the team.

    With Berry picking the coach, we are only going to get, inexperienced, coordinator guy. No big time head coach will want to deal with this front office structure. 
     

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @browns149 said:

    With Berry picking the coach, we are only going to get, inexperienced, coordinator guy. No big time head coach will want to deal with this front office structure. 
     

    Brownies you got me feeling like the feller in the video below

  • @calfoxwc said:

    unless they have finally learned their lesson.  If all they still want is a weak follower milktoast they can 

    control, it will still be the same result. With depo gone, it's more likely they will find a HC that they will give the football reins to, a HC who knows what needs to be fixed and how to change things. If Gabriel was Steflunkski's pick, I'm even more happy he got fired.

    Meanwhile, if it was me, I'd be watching this guy closely at the NFL combine. The more I study him, the more I would love to have him be a Cleveland Brown qb.

     https://hawkeyeswire.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/hawkeyes/football/2025/06/07/iowa-football-qb-mark-gronowski-nfl-prospects/84068916007/

    *******************************

       Interesting. I had Josh Allen as my top pick in my mock draft back then. and.....

    https://www.si.com/college/iowa/football/new-iowa-qb-mark-gronowski-gets-early-nfl-draft-attention-01jx2xs3395c

    "

    Gronowski received an invite to the 2025 NFL Combine but declined in favor of rehabbing his injuries and having the opportunity to play in the Big Ten. Still, his success at SDSU, complete with two FCS national championships and a share of the division’s record for most career wins at 49, and his size and athletic profile make him an intriguing prospect in a star-studded quarterback class.

    Gronowski has said he models his game after Josh Allen, both in his skill set and his unique path to the league. 

    “Yeah, I mean, just right off the bat is Josh Allen like I was mentioning earlier, and him coming from, I'll call it a smaller school, Group of Five, Wyoming,” Gronowski said on former Iowa defensive lineman

    . “Him having zero stars, zero offers coming out of high school, having seen him have that chip on his shoulder his entire career and and now he's one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the NFL. I love his play style and I love his story throughout, and I love just following him, watching his play style.”"

    My only problem with Allen is I see no Alpha mental toughness in him... I like his talent none the less... I hope this kid is different no matter where he winds up

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @nickers said:

    My only problem with Allen is I see no Alpha mental toughness in him... I like his talent none the less... I hope this kid is different no matter where he winds up

    @calfoxwc said:

    oh, I see it a LOT. But I did have cataract surgery on both eyes earlier in the year. 

    Classic stuff!  ? ? ?