Head Coach Search - Interviews
-
We should be doing whatever we can to get McDermott here
We should be doing whatever we can to get McDermott here
Without Josh Allen?
-
We should be doing whatever we can to get McDermott here
Without Josh Allen?
-
We'll see how successful that will be.
I don't mean this in a dick(ish) way.
Who would you like? I'd prefer someone with a proven track record.
He's 98-50 in the regular season and 8-8 in the playoffs. Who on this board wouldn't enjoy 9 seasons of that.
Would you prefer he go to Baltimore or Pittsburgh?
-
I am always amazed by the names some people turn their nose up at when it comes to a new HC
Harbaugh - washed
McDermott - Not without Josh Allen
The list goes on...
-
We'll see how successful that will be.
I don't mean this in a dick(ish) way.
Who would you like? I'd prefer someone with a proven track record.
He's 98-50 in the regular season and 8-8 in the playoffs. Who on this board wouldn't enjoy 9 seasons of that.
Would you prefer he go to Baltimore or Pittsburgh?
I don't mean this in a dick(ish) way.
Who would you like? I'd prefer someone with a proven track record.
He's 98-50 in the regular season and 8-8 in the playoffs. Who on this board wouldn't enjoy 9 seasons of that.
Would you prefer he go to Baltimore or Pittsburgh?
I'd prefer taking a swing on a new innovative mind like how Shanahan was 10ish years ago but our owner messed up. Harbaugh and Mcdermott have been doing the same thing and hit a brick wall for the last 5 years, are they going to break it here? The last 8 teams in the playoffs either had an elite QB or were coached by McVay or Shannahan. We have a chance to take a swing at one and before anyone says we can't identify good head coaches, Sashi, Berry et al voted 4-1 to hire McDermott 10 yrs ago and Haslam overrode them to hire Hue Jackson. Stefanski despite his failiings here is thought of highly in the league to land a job within 2 wks of his firing here with a massive pay rise.
-
I don't mean this in a dick(ish) way.
Who would you like? I'd prefer someone with a proven track record.
He's 98-50 in the regular season and 8-8 in the playoffs. Who on this board wouldn't enjoy 9 seasons of that.
Would you prefer he go to Baltimore or Pittsburgh?
I'd prefer taking a swing on a new innovative mind like how Shanahan was 10ish years ago but our owner messed up. Harbaugh and Mcdermott have been doing the same thing and hit a brick wall for the last 5 years, are they going to break it here? The last 8 teams in the playoffs either had an elite QB or were coached by McVay or Shannahan. We have a chance to take a swing at one and before anyone says we can't identify good head coaches, Sashi, Berry et al voted 4-1 to hire McDermott 10 yrs ago and Haslam overrode them to hire Hue Jackson. Stefanski despite his failiings here is thought of highly in the league to land a job within 2 wks of his firing here with a massive pay rise.
I'd prefer taking a swing on a new innovative mind like how Shanahan was 10ish years ago but our owner messed up. Harbaugh and Mcdermott have been doing the same thing and hit a brick wall for the last 5 years, are they going to break it here? The last 8 teams in the playoffs either had an elite QB or were coached by McVay or Shannahan.
We have a chance to take a swing at one and before anyone says we can't identify good head coaches, Sashi, Berry et al voted 4-1 to hire McDermott 10 yrs ago and Haslam overrode them to hire Hue Jackson.
Stefanski despite his failiings here is thought of highly in the league to land a job within 2 wks of his firing here with a massive pay rise.
The first sentence is absolutely correct.
The constant that Haslam has proven is that he or the people he put in place to hire coaches have not been good at hiring coaches.
I won't argue about Stefanski; I wasn't necessarily calling for his head. I agree. I think, just like Baker, he reached his ceiling here. Stefanski's two best seasons in Cleveland are outliers: 2020 had it's oddities in the NCAA and NFL. 2023 was catching lightning in a bottle. Outside of those playoff seasons he was 23-45.
-
The Buffalo Bills fired coach Sean McDermott after nine seasons on Monday, according to a league source, after they once again failed to advance to the Super Bowl with franchise quarterback Josh Allen. The Bills lost to the Denver Broncos 33-30 in overtime on Saturday in the divisional round of the NFL playoffs.
The Bills have reached the divisional round in six straight seasons and twice advanced to the AFC Championship Game (in 2020 and 2024) but lost to the Kansas City Chiefs in both of those title game appearances. McDermott finishes his Buffalo tenure with a regular-season record of 98-50 and a postseason record of 8-8.
McDermott’s teams made the playoffs in eight of his nine seasons, including in his first year in 2017 when the Bills snapped a 17-year playoff drought. His 98 wins are second all-time in franchise history behind only Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy, who won 112 games over 12 seasons and reached four Super Bowls.
This story will be updated.
Senior Writer, NFLThe Buffalo Bills fired coach Sean McDermott after nine seasons on Monday, according to a league source, after they once again failed to advance to the Super Bowl with franchise quarterback Josh Allen. The Bills lost to the Denver Broncos 33-30 in overtime on Saturday in the divisional round of the NFL playoffs.
The Bills have reached the divisional round in six straight seasons and twice advanced to the AFC Championship Game (in 2020 and 2024) but lost to the Kansas City Chiefs in both of those title game appearances. McDermott finishes his Buffalo tenure with a regular-season record of 98-50 and a postseason record of 8-8.
McDermott’s teams made the playoffs in eight of his nine seasons, including in his first year in 2017 when the Bills snapped a 17-year playoff drought. His 98 wins are second all-time in franchise history behind only Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy, who won 112 games over 12 seasons and reached four Super Bowls.
This story will be updated.
Senior Writer, NFLI'm originally from Western NY; and still have a lot of family and friends there that I keep in touch with. My Uncle lives in Orchard Park and I asked him near Xmas what he thought of the Bills chances this year. The reply? "As always - I hope they make it to the Super Bowl Tom; because I feel their gonna part ways with McDermott if they don't. This is a great and loyal fanbase like your Browns; but they're only going to accept losing in the playoffs against teams they feel they should beat with a QB like Josh for so long." The unfortunate thing for McDermott was Josh finally had a really bad day in the playoffs with 4 of his offense's 5 turnovers (and yet it still went into OT). So, I'll guarantee Bills' fans were wondering why couldn't their HC with the defensive background from the Eagles be the HC of the team forcing 5 turnovers at Denver? That's the thing, I've never bought into Buffalo's Defense while he's been there but I'm just a fan with an opinion LB.
Many Bills' fans feel about McDermott the same way many of our fans felt about Marty Schottenheimer in the 80s or more currently about Kevin Stefanski.
To me, McDermott seems like a likable guy the players really respect. I'm not sure why they keep disconnecting in the playoffs. That said, I know of another former Eagles Coach that couldn't win in the post season nearly enough with talented teams to save his HC job in Philly (Andy Reid). 1 team later - LAND HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I don't know if teaming him up with Andrew Berry here is a recipe for disaster or not. I wonder if McDermott was still on the Eagles staff during the time Andrew Berry worked for Howie Roseman? If so, he'll definitely get an interview with the Browns.
-
The Buffalo Bills fired coach Sean McDermott after nine seasons on Monday, according to a league source, after they once again failed to advance to the Super Bowl with franchise quarterback Josh Allen. The Bills lost to the Denver Broncos 33-30 in overtime on Saturday in the divisional round of the NFL playoffs.
The Bills have reached the divisional round in six straight seasons and twice advanced to the AFC Championship Game (in 2020 and 2024) but lost to the Kansas City Chiefs in both of those title game appearances. McDermott finishes his Buffalo tenure with a regular-season record of 98-50 and a postseason record of 8-8.
McDermott’s teams made the playoffs in eight of his nine seasons, including in his first year in 2017 when the Bills snapped a 17-year playoff drought. His 98 wins are second all-time in franchise history behind only Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy, who won 112 games over 12 seasons and reached four Super Bowls.
This story will be updated.
Senior Writer, NFLI'm originally from Western NY; and still have a lot of family and friends there that I keep in touch with. My Uncle lives in Orchard Park and I asked him near Xmas what he thought of the Bills chances this year. The reply? "As always - I hope they make it to the Super Bowl Tom; because I feel their gonna part ways with McDermott if they don't. This is a great and loyal fanbase like your Browns; but they're only going to accept losing in the playoffs against teams they feel they should beat with a QB like Josh for so long." The unfortunate thing for McDermott was Josh finally had a really bad day in the playoffs with 4 of his offense's 5 turnovers (and yet it still went into OT). So, I'll guarantee Bills' fans were wondering why couldn't their HC with the defensive background from the Eagles be the HC of the team forcing 5 turnovers at Denver? That's the thing, I've never bought into Buffalo's Defense while he's been there but I'm just a fan with an opinion LB.
Many Bills' fans feel about McDermott the same way many of our fans felt about Marty Schottenheimer in the 80s or more currently about Kevin Stefanski.
To me, McDermott seems like a likable guy the players really respect. I'm not sure why they keep disconnecting in the playoffs. That said, I know of another former Eagles Coach that couldn't win in the post season nearly enough with talented teams to save his HC job in Philly (Andy Reid). 1 team later - LAND HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I don't know if teaming him up with Andrew Berry here is a recipe for disaster or not. I wonder if McDermott was still on the Eagles staff during the time Andrew Berry worked for Howie Roseman? If so, he'll definitely get an interview with the Browns.
I'm originally from Western NY; and still have a lot of family and friends there that I keep in touch with. My Uncle lives in Orchard Park and I asked him near Xmas what he thought of the Bills chances this year. The reply? "As always - I hope they make it to the Super Bowl Tom; because I feel their gonna part ways with McDermott if they don't. This is a great and loyal fanbase like your Browns; but they're only going to accept losing in the playoffs against teams they feel they should beat with a QB like Josh for so long." The unfortunate thing for McDermott was Josh finally had a really bad day in the playoffs with 4 of his offense's 5 turnovers (and yet it still went into OT). So, I'll guarantee Bills' fans were wondering why couldn't their HC with the defensive background from the Eagles be the HC of the team forcing 5 turnovers at Denver? That's the thing, I've never bought into Buffalo's Defense while he's been there but I'm just a fan with an opinion LB.
Many Bills' fans feel about McDermott the same way many of our fans felt about Marty Schottenheimer in the 80s or more currently about Kevin Stefanski.
To me, McDermott seems like a likable guy the players really respect. I'm not sure why they keep disconnecting in the playoffs. That said, I know of another former Eagles Coach that couldn't win in the post season nearly enough with talented teams to save his HC job in Philly (Andy Reid). 1 team later - LAND HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I don't know if teaming him up with Andrew Berry here is a recipe for disaster or not. I wonder if McDermott was still on the Eagles staff during the time Andrew Berry worked for Howie Roseman? If so, he'll definitely get an interview with the Browns.
I didn't want to bring up Andy Reid, but it's impossible not to when it comes to a coach like McDermott.
-
I like the Art Rooney approach with the main consideration being Leadership and command of the locker room.
whether it is a retread or a coordinator situational questions and you do your due diligence checking around the league if the candidate fits the mold.
Let the HC hire the innovator type we are looking for as a coordinator
-
Hafley to Miami. Makes sense.
-
The Buffalo Bills fired coach Sean McDermott after nine seasons on Monday, according to a league source, after they once again failed to advance to the Super Bowl with franchise quarterback Josh Allen. The Bills lost to the Denver Broncos 33-30 in overtime on Saturday in the divisional round of the NFL playoffs.
The Bills have reached the divisional round in six straight seasons and twice advanced to the AFC Championship Game (in 2020 and 2024) but lost to the Kansas City Chiefs in both of those title game appearances. McDermott finishes his Buffalo tenure with a regular-season record of 98-50 and a postseason record of 8-8.
McDermott’s teams made the playoffs in eight of his nine seasons, including in his first year in 2017 when the Bills snapped a 17-year playoff drought. His 98 wins are second all-time in franchise history behind only Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy, who won 112 games over 12 seasons and reached four Super Bowls.
This story will be updated.
Senior Writer, NFLI'm originally from Western NY; and still have a lot of family and friends there that I keep in touch with. My Uncle lives in Orchard Park and I asked him near Xmas what he thought of the Bills chances this year. The reply? "As always - I hope they make it to the Super Bowl Tom; because I feel their gonna part ways with McDermott if they don't. This is a great and loyal fanbase like your Browns; but they're only going to accept losing in the playoffs against teams they feel they should beat with a QB like Josh for so long." The unfortunate thing for McDermott was Josh finally had a really bad day in the playoffs with 4 of his offense's 5 turnovers (and yet it still went into OT). So, I'll guarantee Bills' fans were wondering why couldn't their HC with the defensive background from the Eagles be the HC of the team forcing 5 turnovers at Denver? That's the thing, I've never bought into Buffalo's Defense while he's been there but I'm just a fan with an opinion LB.
Many Bills' fans feel about McDermott the same way many of our fans felt about Marty Schottenheimer in the 80s or more currently about Kevin Stefanski.
To me, McDermott seems like a likable guy the players really respect. I'm not sure why they keep disconnecting in the playoffs. That said, I know of another former Eagles Coach that couldn't win in the post season nearly enough with talented teams to save his HC job in Philly (Andy Reid). 1 team later - LAND HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I don't know if teaming him up with Andrew Berry here is a recipe for disaster or not. I wonder if McDermott was still on the Eagles staff during the time Andrew Berry worked for Howie Roseman? If so, he'll definitely get an interview with the Browns.
-
Margins and variance are what they are, Bills were a questionable INT call from winning this weekend
I would pay much more attention to McDermott's overall record than the non SB appearances
-
Margins and variance are what they are, Bills were a questionable INT call from winning this weekend
I would pay much more attention to McDermott's overall record than the non SB appearances
Margins and variance are what they are, Bills were a questionable INT call from winning this weekend
I would pay much more attention to McDermott's overall record than the non SB appearances
All fans blame officials; but 5 turnovers against the team that earned homefield turned the lights out on Buffalo's post season. We can dance all around it but I think an honest self-evaluation from the Bills is a better idea.
Buffalo was the team with the well experienced defensive minded HC and their defense did NOTHING to win that game IMO. Look at Denver's 1st drive - a dropped TD pass by Denver kept Buffalo in the game better than Buffalo's defense was willing to. Denver drove right down the field on that Defense.
So many playoff departures since Josh Allen has been leading Buffalo to the post season is usually the result of Buffalo scoring late to go ahead with Buffalo's defense failing to keep the lead in the closing seconds. This WOULD have been a good day for Buffalo's defense to bail Josh out for once in a post season; but they weren't up to the task.
-
“It wouldn’t be surprising for the Browns to call about McDermott. They interviewed him for their head coach vacancy in 2016 when they ultimately settled on Hue Jackson, who was fired midway through the 2018 season with a 3-36-1 record. Former Browns Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta, former GM Sashi Brown (now [Baltimore] Ravens president) and Andrew Berry, then-Browns vice president of player personnel and GM, preferred McDermott. But Browns ownership, led by Jimmy Haslam, favored Jackson,” Mary Kay Cabot wrote.
------------
So, does this surprise anyone?
Our friggin' idiot, crook, owner is our main problem.
edit to add: I know that we all hated DePodesta...but perhaps he was actually a voice of reason on some issues. He also didn't want that BillHilly Kitchens as HC but instead wanted Stefanski. But, of course, we wound up with Kitchens for a year before DePo got his man...who became a two time coach of the year.
And now DePo abandoned ship mid-season. Apparently, he'd had enough of 'Talking To The Cat'. - One of my favorite Faulty Towers lines - I might as well talk to the cat!
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login