Skip to content

Head Coach Search - Interviews

The Browns Board
377 31 7.3k 1
  • A AP1

    @flugel said:

    Unfortunately Yes.  The World According to Jimmy Haslam and his Chief Executive Suck-up Andrew Berry would love to insult Schwartz 1 more time by denying him the promotion.  What kind of organization makes a well respected employee deserving of a promotion need interview twice for it?

    Did the Browns just have a player get the all time single sack record?  Did they just have a LBer earn NFL Rookie of the Year honors?  And didn't another rookie DT get named to the All NFL All Rookie Team?  Didn't Denzel Ward and Myles Garrett earn another Pro Bowl honor?  Despite the record of the team - what side of the ball had the most fun working together on Sundays?  The only 2 people affiliated with this team (inclusive of all us diehards) that are completely unaware of all that are Haslam and Berry...

    I'm picking up what you're putting down.

    If Schwartz is named HC, who do we want as OC?

    Who are viable names that can be OL Coach?

    I thought Callahan had interest in coming back to Cleveland, following KS to Atlanta stings a bit.

    I get it, I get it the staff tend to be more loyal to the HC than the franchise but still.

    If I'm Jimmy Haslam, I'm looking in the mirror as to why my organization sucks. 

    Then again, maybe he doesn’t care. He spent $1B to buy the team and could probably squeeze $6.5B-$7B in value, plus he's got a new stadium coming.

    It's not Congress-type return on investment but it's still enough to not have to feed the family Kraft Macaroni and Cheese every night.

    @ap1 said:

    I'm picking up what you're putting down.

    If Schwartz is named HC, who do we want as OC?

    Who are viable names that can be OL Coach?

    I thought Callahan had interest in coming back to Cleveland, following KS to Atlanta stings a bit.

    I get it, I get it the staff tend to be more loyal to the HC than the franchise but still.

    If I'm Jimmy Haslam, I'm looking in the mirror as to why my organization sucks. 

    Then again, maybe he doesn’t care. He spent $1B to buy the team and could probably squeeze $6.5B-$7B in value, plus he's got a new stadium coming.

    It's not Congress-type return on investment but it's still enough to not have to feed the family Kraft Macaroni and Cheese every night.

     I'll start with the part in bold above.  As someone I enjoy reading and conversing with in here - if you were Jimmy you would be smart enough to do an honest self-evaluation and needs assessment before your annual program planning. However, that's why you're not Jimmy.  He hasn't done this yet; and when they fail again now he has to FINALLY hire a new GM where he will have to include him in on inevitably hiring another HC.  This is the world we fans of this team live in.

    The OC? The new HCs already getting hired will beat us to the best OC candidates.  The best one possible we can possibly hire? I can't help but thinking that Schwartz easily has the best football reputation and most respect from other NFL franchises within our current leadership.  I'll guarantee Schwartz learned far more from his experience under a Competent NFL Owner in tandem with one of the best NFL GMs in Philly. Networking old buddies on other teams shouldn't be a problem to learn/hear about some great offensive coaches ready to be NFL OCs or OL Coaches.  Whoever our HC is - will have to overcome the reputation Dumb & Dumber has caused here.  It sounds like all those coaches that McDaniel would have brought with him said "Any place but the Dumpster fire in Cleveland" that only wants "Yes Sir" only prospects.  They may not even want Schwartz hoping he quits if they don't offer him the job.

    Until Berry is finally gone we have a whole draft to waste ahead of us.  If Schwartz goes - watch what that does to the morale of those that enjoyed working together and having fun every Sunday regardless of the outcome.  It's getting more difficult to watch Haslam repeat the same mistakes every time he fires another scapegoat with no solid hiring criteria in tact for filling the spot.

  • The Bills have requested an interview with Grant Udinski.

    @mddawg said:

    The Bills have requested an interview with Grant Udinski.

    So his choices are Josh Allen vrs an inexperienced Shedeur Sanders and/or Dillon Gabriel.  

    Any predictions which way he leans?  ?

  • @mddawg said:

    The Bills have requested an interview with Grant Udinski.

    So his choices are Josh Allen vrs an inexperienced Shedeur Sanders and/or Dillon Gabriel.  

    Any predictions which way he leans?  ?

    @flugel said:

    So his choices are Josh Allen vrs an inexperienced Shedeur Sanders and/or Dillon Gabriel.  

    Any predictions which way he leans?  ?

    It think we know the answer to that however as an inexperienced coach he may appreciate that our defense is already established so he'll only need to focus on the offense. Bills defense needs a lot of work.

  • @mddawg said:

    The Bills have requested an interview with Grant Udinski.

    So his choices are Josh Allen vrs an inexperienced Shedeur Sanders and/or Dillon Gabriel.  

    Any predictions which way he leans?  ?

    @flugel said:

    Dillon Gabriel. 

    to Atl. ?

  • The Bills have requested an interview with Grant Udinski.

    @mddawg said:

    The Bills have requested an interview with Grant Udinski.

    I like Joe Brady a lot….odd move to me to get rid of a successful coach and an up and coming OC for unknown albeit popular up and coming offensive guru.  
     

    Brady has reputation for highlighting the run game something that it is engrained in our DNA.  I don’t know why he’s not on our list…given some other names that I see 

  • sydS syd

    @flugel said:

    Dillon Gabriel. 

    to Atl. ?

    @syd said:

    to Atl. ?

    That could definitely happen Syd.

  • @mddawg said:

    The Bills have requested an interview with Grant Udinski.

    I like Joe Brady a lot….odd move to me to get rid of a successful coach and an up and coming OC for unknown albeit popular up and coming offensive guru.  
     

    Brady has reputation for highlighting the run game something that it is engrained in our DNA.  I don’t know why he’s not on our list…given some other names that I see 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I like Joe Brady a lot….odd move to me to get rid of a successful coach and an up and coming OC for unknown albeit popular up and coming offensive guru.  
     

    Brady has reputation for highlighting the run game something that it is engrained in our DNA.  I don’t know why he’s not on our list…given some other names that I see 

    Maybe it's just me, but I noticed that the Bills were running so much on first down they were getting stuffed. Steflunkski seems to do the same thing. Establishing the run, play action, sure....but running on first down, especially up the middle, so often.... just seems to backfire so much.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I like Joe Brady a lot….odd move to me to get rid of a successful coach and an up and coming OC for unknown albeit popular up and coming offensive guru.  
     

    Brady has reputation for highlighting the run game something that it is engrained in our DNA.  I don’t know why he’s not on our list…given some other names that I see 

    Maybe it's just me, but I noticed that the Bills were running so much on first down they were getting stuffed. Steflunkski seems to do the same thing. Establishing the run, play action, sure....but running on first down, especially up the middle, so often.... just seems to backfire so much.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Maybe it's just me, but I noticed that the Bills were running so much on first down they were getting stuffed. Steflunkski seems to do the same thing. Establishing the run, play action, sure....but running on first down, especially up the middle, so often.... just seems to backfire so much.

    Bills first 2 runs went for 39 yards. 

    Forced the Broncos to have to attack earlier & more often. As a result, if Cook did pop one, he was facing negative depth of cut. 

    Boom or bust.  But that helped open throwing lanes and -1 back end for Josh. 

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Maybe it's just me, but I noticed that the Bills were running so much on first down they were getting stuffed. Steflunkski seems to do the same thing. Establishing the run, play action, sure....but running on first down, especially up the middle, so often.... just seems to backfire so much.

    Bills first 2 runs went for 39 yards. 

    Forced the Broncos to have to attack earlier & more often. As a result, if Cook did pop one, he was facing negative depth of cut. 

    Boom or bust.  But that helped open throwing lanes and -1 back end for Josh. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Bills first 2 runs went for 39 yards. 

    Forced the Broncos to have to attack earlier & more often. As a result, if Cook did pop one, he was facing negative depth of cut. 

    Boom or bust.  But that helped open throwing lanes and -1 back end for Josh. 

    Yes, but later on, the broncos adjusted and started stuffing the first down runs. Cook even lost a yard when I said "don't run on first down again". They knew they had to stop the run before the game. I'm just saying later in the game, running on first down, Denver went all in on shutting it down, and the Bills ran anyway. So, a few times they saw the Bills were going to run on first down, and they went all in on stopping it. 

    https://www.denverpost.com/2026/01/15/broncos-bills-playoff-preview-run-game/

    Broncos’ rush defense faces stiffest challenge yet: ‘We’d better stop the (freaking) run’

    The Bills are again the best rushing team in football and the Broncos are salty after giving up 210 yards in last year’s wild-card loss

  • @mddawg said:

    The Bills have requested an interview with Grant Udinski.

    I like Joe Brady a lot….odd move to me to get rid of a successful coach and an up and coming OC for unknown albeit popular up and coming offensive guru.  
     

    Brady has reputation for highlighting the run game something that it is engrained in our DNA.  I don’t know why he’s not on our list…given some other names that I see 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I like Joe Brady a lot….odd move to me to get rid of a successful coach and an up and coming OC for unknown albeit popular up and coming offensive guru.  
     

    Brady has reputation for highlighting the run game something that it is engrained in our DNA.  I don’t know why he’s not on our list…given some other names that I see 

    And fwiw, here's some of the QBs he's coached along the way per cut and paste (the last indicating Saints QBs was when Drew Brees was their starter - you know you're getting old when that feels like a long time ago):

    image.png.6fdda5059bd05f0554db6cb7d5a82029.png

  • so i take it that dipshit berry has not satisfied the rooney rule , I mean wtf dude a smart gm gets that stupid shit out of the way quickly,  and now we are on to the second wave of interviews ( yes i mean sure you could tell a guy to please just wait ) but would you trust anything the f.o sez ? just hire pettine back I bet he would like some more of haslems money

  • sydS syd

    so i take it that dipshit berry has not satisfied the rooney rule , I mean wtf dude a smart gm gets that stupid shit out of the way quickly,  and now we are on to the second wave of interviews ( yes i mean sure you could tell a guy to please just wait ) but would you trust anything the f.o sez ? just hire pettine back I bet he would like some more of haslems money

    @syd said:

    just hire pettine back

    NO.  That guy was a dope.

    ...I'm getting one of my sick headaches...

  • @mddawg said:

    The Bills have requested an interview with Grant Udinski.

    I like Joe Brady a lot….odd move to me to get rid of a successful coach and an up and coming OC for unknown albeit popular up and coming offensive guru.  
     

    Brady has reputation for highlighting the run game something that it is engrained in our DNA.  I don’t know why he’s not on our list…given some other names that I see 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I like Joe Brady a lot….odd move to me to get rid of a successful coach and an up and coming OC for unknown albeit popular up and coming offensive guru.  
     

    Brady has reputation for highlighting the run game something that it is engrained in our DNA.  I don’t know why he’s not on our list…given some other names that I see 

    I know Joe Brady's name was thrown around ALOT in November when Penn St, LSU and Auburn were looking for Head Coaches.

    Maybe he is in Pegula's crosshairs or that too close to McDermott for Pegula?

  • sydS syd

    so i take it that dipshit berry has not satisfied the rooney rule , I mean wtf dude a smart gm gets that stupid shit out of the way quickly,  and now we are on to the second wave of interviews ( yes i mean sure you could tell a guy to please just wait ) but would you trust anything the f.o sez ? just hire pettine back I bet he would like some more of haslems money

    @syd said:

    so i take it that dipshit berry has not satisfied the rooney rule , I mean wtf dude a smart gm gets that stupid shit out of the way quickly,  and now we are on to the second wave of interviews ( yes i mean sure you could tell a guy to please just wait ) but would you trust anything the f.o sez ? just hire pettine back I bet he would like some more of haslems money

    Without dragging the drama that probably takes place on the political board over here, I agree 100%.

    Frankly, every time I see an unknown assistant who is a minority getting interview #1 for a team who needs a HC, we all know the Rooney Rule is being met.

  • Not only has Jimmy Haslam failed to put the right people in place to select a coach.

    He has now been unable to properly read the tea leaves. Just because one owns an NFL Franchise doesn’t guarantee others want to be the Head Coach.

    On top of that, he has made the grand mistake that many of us feel. Berry is making decisions, but his leash is short as well. That has created uncertainty among the qualified candidates who understand that one year from now the Browns will probably have a new GM and that GM will want his people in place.

    And Jimmy is trying to do all of this to save face, to try and make it look like the team's not doing a complete rebuild, to try to keep the Defense intact and a future HOFer in Cleveland.

    The Google tells me the Browns have two of the eight next key candidates to be GM: Glenn Cooks and Catherine Raiche.

    What does anyone know about them? I know nothing, I don't know if they're legitimate or the AI is giving me those names because I'm a Browns fan.

    I can't imagine that Haslam would give Berry the boot now but I can dream.

  • For anyone concerned about hiring Schwartz because of his stint in Detroit as a Head Coach, 29-51, here are some coaches I found who had success at second and third coaching stops:

    Marv Levy - 31-42 in KC, 112-70 in Buffalo, 8 Playoff Appearances, 4 AFC Titles

    Mike Shanahan - 8-12 for the Raiders, 138-86 in DEN, 7 Playoff Appearances, 2 Super Bowls

    Pete Carroll - 6-10 in NYJ, 27-21 in NE, 2 Playoff Appearances, 137-89 in SEA, 10 Playoff Appearances, 1 Super Bowl

    Bill Belichick - 36-44 in CLE, 1 Playoff Appearance, 266-121 in NE, 18 Playoff Appearances, 6 Super Bowls

  • A AP1

    Not only has Jimmy Haslam failed to put the right people in place to select a coach.

    He has now been unable to properly read the tea leaves. Just because one owns an NFL Franchise doesn’t guarantee others want to be the Head Coach.

    On top of that, he has made the grand mistake that many of us feel. Berry is making decisions, but his leash is short as well. That has created uncertainty among the qualified candidates who understand that one year from now the Browns will probably have a new GM and that GM will want his people in place.

    And Jimmy is trying to do all of this to save face, to try and make it look like the team's not doing a complete rebuild, to try to keep the Defense intact and a future HOFer in Cleveland.

    The Google tells me the Browns have two of the eight next key candidates to be GM: Glenn Cooks and Catherine Raiche.

    What does anyone know about them? I know nothing, I don't know if they're legitimate or the AI is giving me those names because I'm a Browns fan.

    I can't imagine that Haslam would give Berry the boot now but I can dream.

    @ap1 said:

    Not only has Jimmy Haslam failed to put the right people in place to select a coach.

    He has now been unable to properly read the tea leaves. Just because one owns an NFL Franchise doesn’t guarantee others want to be the Head Coach.

    On top of that, he has made the grand mistake that many of us feel. Berry is making decisions, but his leash is short as well. That has created uncertainty among the qualified candidates who understand that one year from now the Browns will probably have a new GM and that GM will want his people in place.

    And Jimmy is trying to do all of this to save face, to try and make it look like the team's not doing a complete rebuild, to try to keep the Defense intact and a future HOFer in Cleveland.

    The Google tells me the Browns have two of the eight next key candidates to be GM: Glenn Cooks and Catherine Raiche.

    What does anyone know about them? I know nothing, I don't know if they're legitimate or the AI is giving me those names because I'm a Browns fan.

    I can't imagine that Haslam would give Berry the boot now but I can dream.

    The boot?  No; but a dirty jock strap would work.   Jimmy is another very wealthy leader that looks for scapegoats instead of COUNTING/READING the inconvenient truth as a cue to action instead of a Fah-cue.  

    Tell you what I want.  Let's baby step with 1 thing right here - I want Joe Thomas to be our OLine Coach.  We need 2 reliable starting OTackles; and he was once a rookie starting LT with the luxury of playing next to a calming influence and reliable/savvy veteran OGuard like Eric Steinbach (another OL stud from Kirk Ferentz's program at Iowa). The Browns went 10-6 that year fwiw...

    If it's not promoting Schwartz - my guess is their SIP (Scapegoat In Training) will be a "Yes Sir" guy that will probably get power played by Berry & Haslam when it comes time for the new HC to hire the staff around him.  It's prolly a big reason they have to wait until all the ideal HC prospects are hired elsewhere before settling on someone they'll pretend was their choice all along. 

    I don't sound massively frustrated that this is where Jimmy's business is still at - do I?  I used to joke around reminding us all - "We're all here because we're not all there."   So, I'm gonna try to stop bellyaching about it moving forward.  

  • sydS syd

    so i take it that dipshit berry has not satisfied the rooney rule , I mean wtf dude a smart gm gets that stupid shit out of the way quickly,  and now we are on to the second wave of interviews ( yes i mean sure you could tell a guy to please just wait ) but would you trust anything the f.o sez ? just hire pettine back I bet he would like some more of haslems money

    @syd said:

    so i take it that dipshit berry has not satisfied the rooney rule , I mean wtf dude a smart gm gets that stupid shit out of the way quickly,  and now we are on to the second wave of interviews ( yes i mean sure you could tell a guy to please just wait ) but would you trust anything the f.o sez ? just hire pettine back I bet he would like some more of haslems money

    True.

    Here's the thing, did the NYGiants actually satisfy this silly Rooney Rule? Sure doesn't look like it.

  • @flugel I would love Joe Thomas to be the OL Coach. Look at what Jason Taylor has done with (Univ of) Miami's DL. The Browns need Joe Thomas more than Joe Thomas needs to Browns. 

    Loyal as he is to Cleveland and the Browns, I believe the Browns frustrate him. His social media posts aren't critical but they are truthful.

    He enjoys time on his farm. He is heavily involved in raising NIL money for Wisconsin and recruiting players in the portal.

    He can make just as much behind a microphone as he can coaching, plus he gets to fly in/fly out faster and spend Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas with his kids rather than work 16-17 hour days August through January. 

    Just my take. I wish I was wrong.

  • @syd said:

    so i take it that dipshit berry has not satisfied the rooney rule , I mean wtf dude a smart gm gets that stupid shit out of the way quickly,  and now we are on to the second wave of interviews ( yes i mean sure you could tell a guy to please just wait ) but would you trust anything the f.o sez ? just hire pettine back I bet he would like some more of haslems money

    True.

    Here's the thing, did the NYGiants actually satisfy this silly Rooney Rule? Sure doesn't look like it.

    @bob806 said:

    True.

    Here's the thing, did the NYGiants actually satisfy this silly Rooney Rule? Sure doesn't look like it.

    Thanks Bob!  You nailed it!  Another episode of "It's only the Browns" justifying criteria that favors a team like the Rats. Sticking with the theme as 1 Distorted Poet Used to say: "Treat me like the Dirtbag that I am."  In his honor, I'll share some of his dirty revised poetry - so if anyone doesn't like Pottymouth you can boycott the short video below...