Skip to content

Monkens Staff

The Browns Board
93 19 2.3k 1
  • @dutch-oven said:

    That’s quite a turn of events if true 

    Looking at whats out there.. There's not much better than whats already assembled here on Defense.. He should just finish out the contract and then.....revisit his options...

    @nickers said:

    Looking at whats out there.. There's not much better than whats already assembled here on Defense.. He should just finish out the contract and then.....revisit his options...

    Monkens press conference is tomorrow, One would think that they would like to have the DC job rapped up by then

  • sydS syd

    @nickers said:

    Looking at whats out there.. There's not much better than whats already assembled here on Defense.. He should just finish out the contract and then.....revisit his options...

    Monkens press conference is tomorrow, One would think that they would like to have the DC job rapped up by then

    @syd said:

    Monkens press conference is tomorrow, One would think that they would like to have the DC job rapped up by then

    Exactly.  He's been assembling his staff.  You know that he wants to hire a DC...like...yesterday.  I think many HC hires would've said, 'He doesn't want to remain? Screw him!  I'll get my own!'.  But he had to make a deal with Haslam that Schwartz stays as OC.  So now Monken's in limbo.

  • @syd said:

    Monkens press conference is tomorrow, One would think that they would like to have the DC job rapped up by then

    Exactly.  He's been assembling his staff.  You know that he wants to hire a DC...like...yesterday.  I think many HC hires would've said, 'He doesn't want to remain? Screw him!  I'll get my own!'.  But he had to make a deal with Haslam that Schwartz stays as OC.  So now Monken's in limbo.

    @orion said:

    Exactly.  He's been assembling his staff.  You know that he wants to hire a DC...like...yesterday.  I think many HC hires would've said, 'He doesn't want to remain? Screw him!  I'll get my own!'.  But he had to make a deal with Haslam that Schwartz stays as OC.  So now Monken's in limbo.

    The thing I worry about regarding keeping Schwartz as DC is that it could potentially split the locker room, especially if the Browns still struggle on offense next year and the defensive players start to get vocal about their guy not getting the HC job. 

  • I heard something on 92.3 The Fan the other day that kind of gave me some optimism about Monken... apparently during his season as OC under Freddie Kitchens he was very frustrated by how unorganized Kitchens was. We'll see if things under Monken seem to be organized. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I heard something on 92.3 The Fan the other day that kind of gave me some optimism about Monken... apparently during his season as OC under Freddie Kitchens he was very frustrated by how unorganized Kitchens was. We'll see if things under Monken seem to be organized. 

    Georgia seemed more organized than they've ever been for whatever that's worth - 2 Nattys back to back...

  • “We’re not planning to change the (defensive) system,” Monken said. “We’re built for the system the (players are) in currently. I’m not gonna get into staffing (today) because it’s not the time to get into that, but (the players) can rest assured we’re going to keep the same system.

    “We’re still going to let them attack, still going to let them play free. I can’t see any other way. They’re a big reason why I took this job, the defensive players. I didn’t take this job because of Jim Schwartz.

    “I have a lot of respect for Jim Schwartz, as I would hope he has for me,” Monken said. “But I took it for the players here, the ownership and (general manager) Andrew Berry — and the ability to build this roster from the ground up on the offensive side.”

    Schwartz, the defensive coordinator for the past three seasons, left the team facility unhappy after the announcement of Monken’s hire, league sources told The Athletic, and was adamant that he would not return despite being under contract with the Browns for two more seasons.

    Monken spent the last three years as the Baltimore Ravens’ offensive coordinator and faced Schwartz’s Browns defenses twice a season. Monken said it was a “b—-” to play against Schwartz’s “outstanding” defenses and said he’s spoken to Schwartz, but offered no detail on those conversations or Schwartz’s standing in the ongoing staff remake.

    “It’s inappropriate for me to comment on that at this time,” Monken said.

    Some of Monken’s anticipated offensive hires have been widely reported, but there’s been no reported movement on the defensive staff. With team owner Jimmy Haslam also saying Tuesday was not the day to discuss Schwartz’s status and Monken’s confirmation that the defensive system will remain intact, it’s fair to assume the Browns are planning internal promotions and are at least prepared to move on without Schwartz.

    Browns linebackers coach Jason Tarver was the Raiders’ defensive coordinator from 2012 to 2014. Safeties coach Ephraim Banda interviewed for coordinator openings with the New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys last month.

  • Next man up.

  • @orion said:

    Exactly.  He's been assembling his staff.  You know that he wants to hire a DC...like...yesterday.  I think many HC hires would've said, 'He doesn't want to remain? Screw him!  I'll get my own!'.  But he had to make a deal with Haslam that Schwartz stays as OC.  So now Monken's in limbo.

    The thing I worry about regarding keeping Schwartz as DC is that it could potentially split the locker room, especially if the Browns still struggle on offense next year and the defensive players start to get vocal about their guy not getting the HC job. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    The thing I worry about regarding keeping Schwartz as DC is that it could potentially split the locker room, especially if the Browns still struggle on offense next year and the defensive players start to get vocal about their guy not getting the HC job. 

    Exactly- you could dodge this if you went with a young guy, but when you essentially hired the same threshold of coach that's bound to potentially occur.

  • “BREAKING: Starkville head football coach John Carr is heading to the NFL. Carr is set to join Todd Monken as the Cleveland Browns’ Chief of Staff effective immediately,” Robbie Faulk wrote.

    image.png.2666623a7c515bacda9193b464f3668a.png

  • “BREAKING: Starkville head football coach John Carr is heading to the NFL. Carr is set to join Todd Monken as the Cleveland Browns’ Chief of Staff effective immediately,” Robbie Faulk wrote.

    image.png.2666623a7c515bacda9193b464f3668a.png

    @orion said:

    “BREAKING: Starkville head football coach John Carr is heading to the NFL. Carr is set to join Todd Monken as the Cleveland Browns’ Chief of Staff effective immediately,” Robbie Faulk wrote.

    image.png.2666623a7c515bacda9193b464f3668a.png

    this can not be real 

  • sydS syd

    @orion said:

    “BREAKING: Starkville head football coach John Carr is heading to the NFL. Carr is set to join Todd Monken as the Cleveland Browns’ Chief of Staff effective immediately,” Robbie Faulk wrote.

    image.png.2666623a7c515bacda9193b464f3668a.png

    this can not be real 

    @syd said:

    this can not be real 

    I saw this elsewhere and kind of scratched my head.. Because Monken talked about having an elite staff.. But I guess time will tell..

  • Carr was Director of Football operations at Southern Miss when Monken was there. Looks like he's had stints as a position coach for other colleges as well.

    https://www.dawgsbynature.com/cleveland-browns-coaching-staff/117208/browns-hc-todd-monken-bringing-in-high-school-head-coach-to-lead-his-staff

  • sydS syd

    @orion said:

    “BREAKING: Starkville head football coach John Carr is heading to the NFL. Carr is set to join Todd Monken as the Cleveland Browns’ Chief of Staff effective immediately,” Robbie Faulk wrote.

    image.png.2666623a7c515bacda9193b464f3668a.png

    this can not be real 

    @syd said:

    this can not be real 

    Seems like a ceremonial appointment to me or his personal enforcer. 

  • @syd said:

    this can not be real 

    Seems like a ceremonial appointment to me or his personal enforcer. 

    @mddawg said:

    Seems like a ceremonial appointment to me or his personal enforcer. 

    LOL Coffee Fetcher 

  • @syd said:

    this can not be real 

    Seems like a ceremonial appointment to me or his personal enforcer. 

    @mddawg said:

    Seems like a ceremonial appointment to me or his personal enforcer. 

    The COS basically organizes things for the HC at the HC's behest.  Including the coffee.  🙂  

  • sydS syd

    @mddawg said:

    Seems like a ceremonial appointment to me or his personal enforcer. 

    LOL Coffee Fetcher 

    @syd said:

    LOL Coffee Fetcher 

    If I ever get out to Oregon - you better be ready to drink BEER like a man.  

  • image.png.1104de684658cb9e3e5df12878260e4c.png

    image.png.75bf9c0882669d805a629f9eacb30cea.png

    image.png.fed77dee4ff022df27f3c02161728b62.png

  • image.png.031d607ab98881adbf42c5361b4dee17.png

  • The Browns have a new ST's coach Byron Storer... Never heard of him...

    The Dawgs - A Cleveland Browns Podcast@thedawgspodcast
    The Browns are hiring Byron Storer as the new special teams coordinator in Cleveland. Storer was the assistant special teams coach for the Packers from 2022-2025.

    Let’s Hope this hire works out better than the last two did for the Browns (Mike Priefer and Bubba Ventrone).
  • Duce Staley staying as RB coach.

    image.png.3da942dc5deead9dab1424f76ae5c40e.png

  • image.png.46d11a5021d42e2505a232f5f9f48135.png