Schwartz Resigning As D Coordinator
-
-
Glad it's finally announced. Now we can move forward. He and his defense did a great job while he was here.
I wonder what it means for Schwartz though. He's under contract for 2 years I think. Does it mean and can't work elsewhere? Does he have to be 'let out' of his contract? (I'm assuming....or traded)
I wonder what it means for Schwartz though. He's under contract for 2 years I think. Does it mean and can't work elsewhere? Does he have to be 'let out' of his contract? (I'm assuming....or traded)
The way I understand it is his rights are retained by Cleveland the next 2 years. I believe he can take another job, but he has to be titled as something more than just D coordinator. He would have to be hired as a "Assistant HC/DC" or something that signifies a promotion.
-
I wonder what it means for Schwartz though. He's under contract for 2 years I think. Does it mean and can't work elsewhere? Does he have to be 'let out' of his contract? (I'm assuming....or traded)
The way I understand it is his rights are retained by Cleveland the next 2 years. I believe he can take another job, but he has to be titled as something more than just D coordinator. He would have to be hired as a "Assistant HC/DC" or something that signifies a promotion.
The way I understand it is his rights are retained by Cleveland the next 2 years. I believe he can take another job, but he has to be titled as something more than just D coordinator. He would have to be hired as a "Assistant HC/DC" or something that signifies a promotion.
I believe he was already assistant HC here, so a team will have to trade for him or wait till his contract expires.
-
The way I understand it is his rights are retained by Cleveland the next 2 years. I believe he can take another job, but he has to be titled as something more than just D coordinator. He would have to be hired as a "Assistant HC/DC" or something that signifies a promotion.
I believe he was already assistant HC here, so a team will have to trade for him or wait till his contract expires.
-
So long Jim. Watching your defense was the funnest part of Browns games the last few years. Best of luck on your future endeavors.
-
I thought he only has 1 year remaining. Might be something to look in to.
Once we settle in on a coordinator, I think it will be an internal hire, we should just release Schwartz from his contract. Especially if it is 2 years. No sense in dicking the guy.
-
I thought he only has 1 year remaining. Might be something to look in to.
Once we settle in on a coordinator, I think it will be an internal hire, we should just release Schwartz from his contract. Especially if it is 2 years. No sense in dicking the guy.
I thought he only has 1 year remaining. Might be something to look in to.
Once we settle in on a coordinator, I think it will be an internal hire, we should just release Schwartz from his contract. Especially if it is 2 years. No sense in dicking the guy.
yeppers club option for 2nd year
-
I thought he only has 1 year remaining. Might be something to look in to.
Once we settle in on a coordinator, I think it will be an internal hire, we should just release Schwartz from his contract. Especially if it is 2 years. No sense in dicking the guy.
-
- Former Patriots HC Jerod Mayo
A out of left field candidate is Mayo. Cleveland interviewed Mayo for their defensive coordinator position, which ultimately went to Schwartz. Prior to his one failed season as New England’s head coach, Mayo was seen as an up-and-coming coach in the NFL and could look at the Browns defense as a way to return to that level of reputation as a coach. Mayo’s system has some flexibility to it, similar to how Monken sees offense, but he does not have history under Schwartz.
The talent on Cleveland’s roster should draw a lot of coaches with interest in taking over for Schwarz. Monken’s (probably intelligent) insistence on keeping the same system might limit the pool of candidates the Browns interview for the job, but the team should have plenty of options.
-
The way I understand it is his rights are retained by Cleveland the next 2 years. I believe he can take another job, but he has to be titled as something more than just D coordinator. He would have to be hired as a "Assistant HC/DC" or something that signifies a promotion.
I believe he was already assistant HC here, so a team will have to trade for him or wait till his contract expires.
-
No, Bubba was the Assistant HC.
You would be correct sir. Ventron while in CLE from 2023 through year held the titles Assistant Head Coach and Special Teams Coordinator. They had to do that in order to hire him away from IND when he was under contract as Special Teams Coordinator. He is now just Special teams Coordinator for the Rams
-
-
-
-
-
I'm just not hopeful that Monken will be a good hc.
With Schwartz bolting, I think it has to with monken. We'll see, but....he lost Schwartz's respect, and players' respect over at the ratbirds nest.
"
In 2025, Baltimore Ravens players expressed significant frustration with offensive coordinator Todd Monken, citingconfusing, inconsistent play-calling and a disconnect in communication. Sources indicated players felt game plans were abandoned mid-game, and some deemed the offense too predictable. Despite previous success, these issues led to a regression in 2025.- Communication Issues: Sources described Monken as increasingly "standoffish" and difficult to collaborate with, leading to a disconnect between him and the players.
- Play-Calling Discontent: Players were confused by erratic, "unpredictable" play calls that often abandoned effective game plans or failed to utilize key players (such as underutilizing or misusing running backs).
- Regression & Accountability: Following a disappointing start to the 2025 season, Monken publicly took blame for not coaching QB Lamar Jackson well enough and failing to maintain a strong relationship.
- Predictability & Inconsistency: Critics, including former Raven Steve Smith Sr., highlighted that the offense lacked creativity and struggled with consistency.
- Systemic Disconnect: Reports suggested that the rapport between players and Monken was not as strong as it was with defensive coordinator Zach Orr.
This tension followed a 2024 season where the offense saw success, but ultimately led to major questions about the offense's direction in 2025. " -
Jobs of HC and coordinator are very different, so Schwartz quitting suggests he isn't cut out for the big chair anyway.
-
Jobs of HC and coordinator are very different, so Schwartz quitting suggests he isn't cut out for the big chair anyway.
Jobs of HC and coordinator are very different, so Schwartz quitting suggests he isn't cut out for the big chair anyway.
I don’t agree here. If anything his prior HC experience may guide him when the next opportunity comes into play. It goes both ways though some guys hit their ceiling and aren’t able to flourish in roles above the role they have done well in….countless examples like Norv Turner.
This is Not just an outsider that is taking over here. We have a First time HC outsider and out of left field too. That alone should be enough for Schwartz not to stick around. And We don’t truly know if they align or respect each other professionally either…and that’s another aspect of this.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login