Skip to content

Who Are Legit Left Tackle Prospects at #24?

The Browns Board
76 8 1.4k
  • @orion said:

    LT is a pretty darned important piece of a football team.  #1 is the QB, far and away the most important piece of a football team...but right behind the QB comes the LT and Edge rusher.  Two more very important pieces.  

    I want Fano or Tate at #6.  (I'm thinking that nobody will trade with us for pick 6)  Those guy will have the most value  for our team's situation.

    At 24 I want the best player at the other  position.  So if we took Tate at 6, then I want the best LT available at 24 (assuming there will be one or two).   I'm thinking that the draft is deeper in WR than LT so I'd take the LT at 6 and a WR at 24.

    So, you want the second best LT from Utah's 2025 team with the Browns 6th pick overall?  The good news is we still NEED 2 OTackles and Fano won the Outland Trophy with elite performance as a RT despite his arm length of 32" (accompanying the reason it's often mentioned his NFL taker could kick him inside to G/C).  I LIKE him a lot as a RT; but he's gonna have to weigh more than the 291 lbs he weighed at the Combine.  

    Let's not pretend every team neglected their OL needs like this one did as recently as the 2025 draft.  When I complained about it last year - didn't you ask me what one of our picks would I have been willing to give back?   Well which draft pick did you, me and others end up complaining about the most?  And what round was that in?  The 3rd right?  There's a lot good Guards and Centers and probably even RTs that have been drafted in round 3 in recent years.  Go see how many Berry's previous Supervisor in Philly - Howie Roseman has drafted in those rounds in the last 4-5 years.

    As for your point none of 31 other teams will want/need a defensive player at #6 overall, keep in mind - the 1st pick will be Mendoza. Therefore any of the following leftover at draft slot #6 could very well be worth a trade-back for 1 more 1st round pick: David Bailey, Arvell Reese, Sonny Styles, Caleb Downs, Rueben Bain.  And YES, very carefully worded here - someone within the other 31 teams will want the next version of Ed Reed as early as a pick 6... 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @flugel said:

    So, you want the second best LT from Utah's 2025 team with the Browns 6th pick overall? 

    Well, when you put it that way it doesn't sound like rational thinking does it.  But I like that he can play either LT or RT.  And I don't recall seeing a draft ranking where Lomu ranks higher than Fano.  Frankly, I'd be happy if we could walk away with either of those two guys.

  • @flugel said:

    So, you want the second best LT from Utah's 2025 team with the Browns 6th pick overall? 

    Well, when you put it that way it doesn't sound like rational thinking does it.  But I like that he can play either LT or RT.  And I don't recall seeing a draft ranking where Lomu ranks higher than Fano.  Frankly, I'd be happy if we could walk away with either of those two guys.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #23

    @orion said:

    Well, when you put it that way it doesn't sound like rational thinking does it.  But I like that he can play either LT or RT.  And I don't recall seeing a draft ranking where Lomu ranks higher than Fano.  Frankly, I'd be happy if we could walk away with either of those two guys.

    I rarely ever have a reason to bust your chops - and even this time it's only about a HUGE need your passionate about the Browns wants us filling this draft.  Fano won the Outland Trophy as the Nation's best OL so you're not wrong to want him.  You're also right that Lomu isn't rated higher than Fano after Lomu's 2nd full season starting (before declaring for the draft with 2 years of college football eligibility remaining).  JMO, if he's projecting anywhere in the 2nd half of round 1 as a sophomore - he'd be projecting upper 1st round next year (like Fano is this year) if he came out after his junior season unless he were to get injured.   As I said to you I like Fano - he was my first favorite Tackle; and while I was watching some of his highlights I kept seeing this #71 pulling/tapping from the other edge.  I was impressed at how well he moved enough to realize this is this "Lomu guy" I was starting to see pop up on some of the top OTackle prospects lists; so I had fun watching both of the "2 Utes."  I'd be fine with either guy at #6 and the other at #24; because G, C, RT, LT are all big needs that could use brighter futures removing some dark shadows.  I posted this somewhere before, if Fano snapped the football in one/some of the OL drills at the combine - it was probably at the request of some teams interested and/or his agent.  The Browns actually had offensive staff coaching up some of the OL drills in Indy.  It's gonna be interesting so stay tuned...

    Didn't know where to put this - but this year seems to have more OTs with short arm lengths than I can ever recall seeing in the last few years.  If they have quick/lateral feet working in tandem with fluid/agile hips - I don't worry quite as much as others.  Then again, I don't get paid for my opinions/pov so there is that!

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #24

    I have absolute faith that no matter who we conclude here will be the exact right pick, Berry will find a way to make the exact wrong pick.

  • I have absolute faith that no matter who we conclude here will be the exact right pick, Berry will find a way to make the exact wrong pick.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @texasag1969 said:

    I have absolute faith that no matter who we conclude here will be the exact right pick, Berry will find a way to make the exact wrong pick.

    ? What's strange is the last guy Berry assisted in Philly (Howie Roseman) was great/super/elite at drafting quality OL. How does a guy wanting to be GOOD GM not tap any of that? Roseman never neglected one of their lines at the expense of the other or other positions. When I buy annual NFL Preview Mags - I often look at the rosters of teams specifically for the year and round each guy was drafted in for OL & DL guys.  If you have one laying around - check out what Philly's GM has done for their lines on both sides of the ball.  It's remarkable!

    Let's hope Berry includes his well experienced OL Coach's input on some of the prospects he and his scouts are finding intriguing this time around. Maybe this will be the year he shows he's found ways to learn from previous mistakes?   

  • @orion said:

    Well, when you put it that way it doesn't sound like rational thinking does it.  But I like that he can play either LT or RT.  And I don't recall seeing a draft ranking where Lomu ranks higher than Fano.  Frankly, I'd be happy if we could walk away with either of those two guys.

    I rarely ever have a reason to bust your chops - and even this time it's only about a HUGE need your passionate about the Browns wants us filling this draft.  Fano won the Outland Trophy as the Nation's best OL so you're not wrong to want him.  You're also right that Lomu isn't rated higher than Fano after Lomu's 2nd full season starting (before declaring for the draft with 2 years of college football eligibility remaining).  JMO, if he's projecting anywhere in the 2nd half of round 1 as a sophomore - he'd be projecting upper 1st round next year (like Fano is this year) if he came out after his junior season unless he were to get injured.   As I said to you I like Fano - he was my first favorite Tackle; and while I was watching some of his highlights I kept seeing this #71 pulling/tapping from the other edge.  I was impressed at how well he moved enough to realize this is this "Lomu guy" I was starting to see pop up on some of the top OTackle prospects lists; so I had fun watching both of the "2 Utes."  I'd be fine with either guy at #6 and the other at #24; because G, C, RT, LT are all big needs that could use brighter futures removing some dark shadows.  I posted this somewhere before, if Fano snapped the football in one/some of the OL drills at the combine - it was probably at the request of some teams interested and/or his agent.  The Browns actually had offensive staff coaching up some of the OL drills in Indy.  It's gonna be interesting so stay tuned...

    Didn't know where to put this - but this year seems to have more OTs with short arm lengths than I can ever recall seeing in the last few years.  If they have quick/lateral feet working in tandem with fluid/agile hips - I don't worry quite as much as others.  Then again, I don't get paid for my opinions/pov so there is that!

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @flugel said:

    The Browns actually had offensive staff coaching up some of the OL drills in Indy.

    Yeah.  I noticed the guy in the Browns sweatshirt and was quite happy that we had somebody right there interacting with the players.  I'd like them to give that guy a seat in the closet of the draft room.  And before they hand in their pick they open the closet door and ask him if he had any thoughts on the player.  Then give him some snacks and shut the door until the next round.   Now you've covered all of the bases....unless you wanna ask the homeless guy...

    --- LT, WR  Rd 1  (<) ---

  • @flugel said:

    So, you want the second best LT from Utah's 2025 team with the Browns 6th pick overall? 

    Well, when you put it that way it doesn't sound like rational thinking does it.  But I like that he can play either LT or RT.  And I don't recall seeing a draft ranking where Lomu ranks higher than Fano.  Frankly, I'd be happy if we could walk away with either of those two guys.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @orion said:

    Well, when you put it that way it doesn't sound like rational thinking does it.  But I like that he can play either LT or RT.  And I don't recall seeing a draft ranking where Lomu ranks higher than Fano.  Frankly, I'd be happy if we could walk away with either of those two guys.

    I think Fano is rated higher because he is more experienced.

    I think as a LT Lomu has a higher ceiling. 

    I get your point though. 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #28

    I'm confused now...

    What are the dates of birth for Spencer Fano and Caleb Lomu? 

  • I have absolute faith that no matter who we conclude here will be the exact right pick, Berry will find a way to make the exact wrong pick.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @texasag1969 said:

    I have absolute faith that no matter who we conclude here will be the exact right pick, Berry will find a way to make the exact wrong pick.

    His draft history confirms this fear, with the exception of last year's draft, which at this point looks very good.

    BUT... as I've said before, you can't accurately judge a draft until that class has completed it's third NFL season. Graham, Judkins, Krautbacker, and Fain showed a lot to be optimistic about, but the NFL is chock full of players who looked good early on and faded to obscurity. Can Graham and Judkins improve off their "ok" rookie seasons? Can Krautbacker and Fain sustain their great play of their rookie seasons? 

  • @flugel said:

    The Browns actually had offensive staff coaching up some of the OL drills in Indy.

    Yeah.  I noticed the guy in the Browns sweatshirt and was quite happy that we had somebody right there interacting with the players.  I'd like them to give that guy a seat in the closet of the draft room.  And before they hand in their pick they open the closet door and ask him if he had any thoughts on the player.  Then give him some snacks and shut the door until the next round.   Now you've covered all of the bases....unless you wanna ask the homeless guy...

    --- LT, WR  Rd 1  (<) ---

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @orion said:

    Yeah.  I noticed the guy in the Browns sweatshirt and was quite happy that we had somebody right there interacting with the players.  I'd like them to give that guy a seat in the closet of the draft room.  And before they hand in their pick they open the closet door and ask him if he had any thoughts on the player.  Then give him some snacks and shut the door until the next round.   Now you've covered all of the bases....unless you wanna ask the homeless guy...

    --- LT, WR  Rd 1  (<) ---

    That would work just fine!   I doubt this will happen but it could - the Browns could conceivably end up with both Fano and Lomu in round 1.  Like you point out - I'm thinking one of their 1st round picks will be a WR.

  • I'm confused now...

    What are the dates of birth for Spencer Fano and Caleb Lomu? 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm confused now...

    What are the dates of birth for Spencer Fano and Caleb Lomu? 

    Try not to laugh at the irony below concerning AI and its associated math skills.  

    image.png.b703855e99ea119c7e762ff262557585.png

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I'm confused now...

    What are the dates of birth for Spencer Fano and Caleb Lomu? 

    Try not to laugh at the irony below concerning AI and its associated math skills.  

    image.png.b703855e99ea119c7e762ff262557585.png

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @flugel said:

    Try not to laugh at the irony below concerning AI and its associated math skills.  

    image.png.b703855e99ea119c7e762ff262557585.png

    That's what I saw too...

    So Lomu is 24 years old, which explains why he entered the Draft after his redshirt sophomore season because waiting until he's 25 is no bueno. 

    Did he do a Mormon missionary tour right after high school?

  • @orion said:

    Yeah.  I noticed the guy in the Browns sweatshirt and was quite happy that we had somebody right there interacting with the players.  I'd like them to give that guy a seat in the closet of the draft room.  And before they hand in their pick they open the closet door and ask him if he had any thoughts on the player.  Then give him some snacks and shut the door until the next round.   Now you've covered all of the bases....unless you wanna ask the homeless guy...

    --- LT, WR  Rd 1  (<) ---

    That would work just fine!   I doubt this will happen but it could - the Browns could conceivably end up with both Fano and Lomu in round 1.  Like you point out - I'm thinking one of their 1st round picks will be a WR.

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @flugel said:

    That would work just fine!   I doubt this will happen but it could - the Browns could conceivably end up with both Fano and Lomu in round 1.  Like you point out - I'm thinking one of their 1st round picks will be a WR.

    Yes and This is a fat guy chasers wet dream but I can’t take a guard at #6 overall.  And I don’t think we gave Titus Howard that kind of money to have Howard as a swing tackle and Fano at RT. 
     

    we are a month out…trying to get in the front offices head.  They bring a guy like Denzel Boston in to test whether the drop off from Tate to Boston is significant enough to go Tate at 6.  I don’t think we have an offensive lineman graded in the top 10.  There is no doubt they see what you, me, Orion and every other breathing person we need a LT I don’t see leaving day 1 on the draft without one.  I think they could reach at 24 if Lomu and Freeling were gone but I don’t see reaching at 6. 

  • @flugel said:

    Try not to laugh at the irony below concerning AI and its associated math skills.  

    image.png.b703855e99ea119c7e762ff262557585.png

    That's what I saw too...

    So Lomu is 24 years old, which explains why he entered the Draft after his redshirt sophomore season because waiting until he's 25 is no bueno. 

    Did he do a Mormon missionary tour right after high school?

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #34

    @dutch-oven said:

    That's what I saw too...

    So Lomu is 24 years old, which explains why he entered the Draft after his redshirt sophomore season because waiting until he's 25 is no bueno. 

    Did he do a Mormon missionary tour right after high school?

    That or he went to a Roadhouse Bouncer school or excursion for a year. Anyway - I just cross referenced it with Athlon Sports 2026 Draft Preview (see below) and they have him at 21 years old. AI got the age right but the DOB wrong. Believe it or not, I still don't see it any differently in the sense of 2 years starting in the 2 years he suited up.  If he stayed in school for a 3rd year as a starting LT - he'd be projecting for the 1st half of round 1 instead of the 2nd half of round 1 (if he didn't suffer a major injury IMO).  I think starting experience is more important than the age.  In order for Lomu to start at an important position like LT as a red shirt freshman - he had to prove he could be at least as good as Fano (no easy feat) so that gets my attention.  Having said that, I get the feeling it was probably more like they just wanted to get both of these guys starting on the edges (and Fano is an unselfish team first kind of guy that gave the idea a 2 thumbs up with a "Hell yeah! Let's do it!").   

    image.png.1f17d4290fb615fddb162644d8a43c5b.png

  • @flugel said:

    That would work just fine!   I doubt this will happen but it could - the Browns could conceivably end up with both Fano and Lomu in round 1.  Like you point out - I'm thinking one of their 1st round picks will be a WR.

    Yes and This is a fat guy chasers wet dream but I can’t take a guard at #6 overall.  And I don’t think we gave Titus Howard that kind of money to have Howard as a swing tackle and Fano at RT. 
     

    we are a month out…trying to get in the front offices head.  They bring a guy like Denzel Boston in to test whether the drop off from Tate to Boston is significant enough to go Tate at 6.  I don’t think we have an offensive lineman graded in the top 10.  There is no doubt they see what you, me, Orion and every other breathing person we need a LT I don’t see leaving day 1 on the draft without one.  I think they could reach at 24 if Lomu and Freeling were gone but I don’t see reaching at 6. 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @sdbacker80 said:

    we are a month out…trying to get in the front offices head.  They bring a guy like Denzel Boston in to test whether the drop off from Tate to Boston is significant enough to go Tate at 6.  I don’t think we have an offensive lineman graded in the top 10.  There is no doubt they see what you, me, Orion and every other breathing person we need a LT I don’t see leaving day 1 on the draft without one.  I think they could reach at 24 if Lomu and Freeling were gone but I don’t see reaching at 6. 

    I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    we are a month out…trying to get in the front offices head.  They bring a guy like Denzel Boston in to test whether the drop off from Tate to Boston is significant enough to go Tate at 6.  I don’t think we have an offensive lineman graded in the top 10.  There is no doubt they see what you, me, Orion and every other breathing person we need a LT I don’t see leaving day 1 on the draft without one.  I think they could reach at 24 if Lomu and Freeling were gone but I don’t see reaching at 6. 

    I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @dutch-oven said:

    I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.

    I agree Dutch; but I actually think there's some 2nd round guys like Chis Brrazzell II, Omar Cooper Jr, Chris Bell that are just as intriguing. Meanwhile 3d round projections such as Indiana's Elijah Sarratt, UConn's Skyler Bell, Clemson's Antonio Williams and Oklahoma's Deion Burks show me little if any drop-off.

    We have an untapped deep threat with Isaiah Bond and if we get some collateral perimeter talent from any of those I just mentioned - this passing game can improve considerably imo.  

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    we are a month out…trying to get in the front offices head.  They bring a guy like Denzel Boston in to test whether the drop off from Tate to Boston is significant enough to go Tate at 6.  I don’t think we have an offensive lineman graded in the top 10.  There is no doubt they see what you, me, Orion and every other breathing person we need a LT I don’t see leaving day 1 on the draft without one.  I think they could reach at 24 if Lomu and Freeling were gone but I don’t see reaching at 6. 

    I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @dutch-oven said:

    I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.

    I’m here too.  That’s why I have had Downs tabbed now since the start. 
     

    i don’t know if our front office feels this way I think there is a sneaky feeling we go Tate 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    we are a month out…trying to get in the front offices head.  They bring a guy like Denzel Boston in to test whether the drop off from Tate to Boston is significant enough to go Tate at 6.  I don’t think we have an offensive lineman graded in the top 10.  There is no doubt they see what you, me, Orion and every other breathing person we need a LT I don’t see leaving day 1 on the draft without one.  I think they could reach at 24 if Lomu and Freeling were gone but I don’t see reaching at 6. 

    I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #38

    @dutch-oven said:

    I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.

    The potential trade-back with Dallas idea our group in here has discussed sounds better every day...  That said, there's been years the Browns have traded back (but with all the energy and excitement exhausted in making that happen - then they'd go and reach on the exchange value/pick by 2 rounds). More specifically, they were unprepared for the choices for the BPA at the new draft slot they arrived at.  Some of that was Sashi's Sushi but I can't remember if Berry was here working for him at the time...

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.

    I’m here too.  That’s why I have had Downs tabbed now since the start. 
     

    i don’t know if our front office feels this way I think there is a sneaky feeling we go Tate 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I’m here too.  That’s why I have had Downs tabbed now since the start. 
     

    i don’t know if our front office feels this way I think there is a sneaky feeling we go Tate 

    Would anyone really protest if they went for Sonny Styles who began as a Safety and morphed into a LBer (that could become a DC's favorite toy).  Aside from his Combine this guy might be the biggest stealth in round 1 especially when Buckeye fans (me included) have been very reluctant to mention him before Tate, Downs, and Reese.  Although I'm not quite as wild about Reese as others; but if he goes to the right situation/team I might have to put cheese and hot sauce on my sneakers and start tasting!!!

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I’m here too.  That’s why I have had Downs tabbed now since the start. 
     

    i don’t know if our front office feels this way I think there is a sneaky feeling we go Tate 

    Would anyone really protest if they went for Sonny Styles who began as a Safety and morphed into a LBer (that could become a DC's favorite toy).  Aside from his Combine this guy might be the biggest stealth in round 1 especially when Buckeye fans (me included) have been very reluctant to mention him before Tate, Downs, and Reese.  Although I'm not quite as wild about Reese as others; but if he goes to the right situation/team I might have to put cheese and hot sauce on my sneakers and start tasting!!!

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @flugel said:

    Would anyone really protest if they went for Sonny Styles who began as a Safety and morphed into a LBer (that could become a DC's favorite toy).  Aside from his Combine this guy might be the biggest stealth in round 1 especially when Buckeye fans (me included) have been very reluctant to mention him before Tate, Downs, and Reese.  Although I'm not quite as wild about Reese as others; but if he goes to the right situation/team I might have to put cheese and hot sauce on my sneakers and start tasting!!!

    I just can't see this team taking a LB who doesn't really rush the QB that high. 

    Then again, they did take Judkins higher than I figured they would take a RB, but there's a huge difference between the top of the second round and #6 overall. 

  • @flugel said:

    Would anyone really protest if they went for Sonny Styles who began as a Safety and morphed into a LBer (that could become a DC's favorite toy).  Aside from his Combine this guy might be the biggest stealth in round 1 especially when Buckeye fans (me included) have been very reluctant to mention him before Tate, Downs, and Reese.  Although I'm not quite as wild about Reese as others; but if he goes to the right situation/team I might have to put cheese and hot sauce on my sneakers and start tasting!!!

    I just can't see this team taking a LB who doesn't really rush the QB that high. 

    Then again, they did take Judkins higher than I figured they would take a RB, but there's a huge difference between the top of the second round and #6 overall. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #41

    @dutch-oven said:

    I just can't see this team taking a LB who doesn't really rush the QB that high. 

    Then again, they did take Judkins higher than I figured they would take a RB, but there's a huge difference between the top of the second round and #6 overall. 

    First, I should have prefaced my post with what I mentioned in my previous post about the trade-back.  I'm still firm with the most important position in round 1 for this team is LT.  That said, when others bring up other ideas and possibilities - I'll add a possibility since we have more than 1 first round pick hoping for a 3rd via trade-back where I could make sense of even considering Defense in round 1.

    Now to your point, the NFL draft isn't about rear view mirrors Dutch.  For a LB who doesn't really rush the QB - he somehow had 10.5 sacks in 2024 and another 6.5 sacks in 2025 which is pretty freakin impressive when he was probably utilized more in coverage on pass situations.  I was watching a discussion about him where 1 guy said the Ravens like to get creative with blitzing their 6'4" Safety Kyle Hamilton.  Why that?  Well, Styles showed up to Ohio State as a Safety but he morphed into a multi-purpose LB. In other words, the Buckeyes didn't say "Oh no - you only came here to be just a Safety."  Since the NFL is all about the passing game - there's going to be NFL Teams with HCs/DCs capable of making him a star.  Lawrence Taylor only had 5 sacks as a Jr at NC - they took the "you're only a LBer" handcuffs off him as a senior and he had 16 sacks. This is the guy that transcended the NFL according to Washington Coach Joe Gibbs saying that every team playing the Giants had to game plan exclusively for this 1 player.  That's what I call taking the NFL out of the rear view mirror.  I'm not saying, Sonny Styles is LT - but why wouldn't the Browns have fun putting him in an x-stunt blitz on the opposite side of the defense of Myles Garrett?