Who Are Legit Left Tackle Prospects at #24?
-
Yeah. I noticed the guy in the Browns sweatshirt and was quite happy that we had somebody right there interacting with the players. I'd like them to give that guy a seat in the closet of the draft room. And before they hand in their pick they open the closet door and ask him if he had any thoughts on the player. Then give him some snacks and shut the door until the next round. Now you've covered all of the bases....unless you wanna ask the homeless guy...
--- LT, WR Rd 1 (<) ---
That would work just fine! I doubt this will happen but it could - the Browns could conceivably end up with both Fano and Lomu in round 1. Like you point out - I'm thinking one of their 1st round picks will be a WR.
That would work just fine! I doubt this will happen but it could - the Browns could conceivably end up with both Fano and Lomu in round 1. Like you point out - I'm thinking one of their 1st round picks will be a WR.
Yes and This is a fat guy chasers wet dream but I can’t take a guard at #6 overall. And I don’t think we gave Titus Howard that kind of money to have Howard as a swing tackle and Fano at RT.
we are a month out…trying to get in the front offices head. They bring a guy like Denzel Boston in to test whether the drop off from Tate to Boston is significant enough to go Tate at 6. I don’t think we have an offensive lineman graded in the top 10. There is no doubt they see what you, me, Orion and every other breathing person we need a LT I don’t see leaving day 1 on the draft without one. I think they could reach at 24 if Lomu and Freeling were gone but I don’t see reaching at 6.
-
Try not to laugh at the irony below concerning AI and its associated math skills.
That's what I saw too...
So Lomu is 24 years old, which explains why he entered the Draft after his redshirt sophomore season because waiting until he's 25 is no bueno.
Did he do a Mormon missionary tour right after high school?
That's what I saw too...
So Lomu is 24 years old, which explains why he entered the Draft after his redshirt sophomore season because waiting until he's 25 is no bueno.
Did he do a Mormon missionary tour right after high school?
That or he went to a Roadhouse Bouncer school or excursion for a year. Anyway - I just cross referenced it with Athlon Sports 2026 Draft Preview (see below) and they have him at 21 years old. AI got the age right but the DOB wrong. Believe it or not, I still don't see it any differently in the sense of 2 years starting in the 2 years he suited up. If he stayed in school for a 3rd year as a starting LT - he'd be projecting for the 1st half of round 1 instead of the 2nd half of round 1 (if he didn't suffer a major injury IMO). I think starting experience is more important than the age. In order for Lomu to start at an important position like LT as a red shirt freshman - he had to prove he could be at least as good as Fano (no easy feat) so that gets my attention. Having said that, I get the feeling it was probably more like they just wanted to get both of these guys starting on the edges (and Fano is an unselfish team first kind of guy that gave the idea a 2 thumbs up with a "Hell yeah! Let's do it!").
-
That would work just fine! I doubt this will happen but it could - the Browns could conceivably end up with both Fano and Lomu in round 1. Like you point out - I'm thinking one of their 1st round picks will be a WR.
Yes and This is a fat guy chasers wet dream but I can’t take a guard at #6 overall. And I don’t think we gave Titus Howard that kind of money to have Howard as a swing tackle and Fano at RT.
we are a month out…trying to get in the front offices head. They bring a guy like Denzel Boston in to test whether the drop off from Tate to Boston is significant enough to go Tate at 6. I don’t think we have an offensive lineman graded in the top 10. There is no doubt they see what you, me, Orion and every other breathing person we need a LT I don’t see leaving day 1 on the draft without one. I think they could reach at 24 if Lomu and Freeling were gone but I don’t see reaching at 6.
we are a month out…trying to get in the front offices head. They bring a guy like Denzel Boston in to test whether the drop off from Tate to Boston is significant enough to go Tate at 6. I don’t think we have an offensive lineman graded in the top 10. There is no doubt they see what you, me, Orion and every other breathing person we need a LT I don’t see leaving day 1 on the draft without one. I think they could reach at 24 if Lomu and Freeling were gone but I don’t see reaching at 6.
I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.
-
we are a month out…trying to get in the front offices head. They bring a guy like Denzel Boston in to test whether the drop off from Tate to Boston is significant enough to go Tate at 6. I don’t think we have an offensive lineman graded in the top 10. There is no doubt they see what you, me, Orion and every other breathing person we need a LT I don’t see leaving day 1 on the draft without one. I think they could reach at 24 if Lomu and Freeling were gone but I don’t see reaching at 6.
I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.
I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.
I agree Dutch; but I actually think there's some 2nd round guys like Chis Brrazzell II, Omar Cooper Jr, Chris Bell that are just as intriguing. Meanwhile 3d round projections such as Indiana's Elijah Sarratt, UConn's Skyler Bell, Clemson's Antonio Williams and Oklahoma's Deion Burks show me little if any drop-off.
We have an untapped deep threat with Isaiah Bond and if we get some collateral perimeter talent from any of those I just mentioned - this passing game can improve considerably imo.
-
we are a month out…trying to get in the front offices head. They bring a guy like Denzel Boston in to test whether the drop off from Tate to Boston is significant enough to go Tate at 6. I don’t think we have an offensive lineman graded in the top 10. There is no doubt they see what you, me, Orion and every other breathing person we need a LT I don’t see leaving day 1 on the draft without one. I think they could reach at 24 if Lomu and Freeling were gone but I don’t see reaching at 6.
I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.
I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.
I’m here too. That’s why I have had Downs tabbed now since the start.
i don’t know if our front office feels this way I think there is a sneaky feeling we go Tate
-
we are a month out…trying to get in the front offices head. They bring a guy like Denzel Boston in to test whether the drop off from Tate to Boston is significant enough to go Tate at 6. I don’t think we have an offensive lineman graded in the top 10. There is no doubt they see what you, me, Orion and every other breathing person we need a LT I don’t see leaving day 1 on the draft without one. I think they could reach at 24 if Lomu and Freeling were gone but I don’t see reaching at 6.
I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.
I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.
The potential trade-back with Dallas idea our group in here has discussed sounds better every day... That said, there's been years the Browns have traded back (but with all the energy and excitement exhausted in making that happen - then they'd go and reach on the exchange value/pick by 2 rounds). More specifically, they were unprepared for the choices for the BPA at the new draft slot they arrived at. Some of that was Sashi's Sushi but I can't remember if Berry was here working for him at the time...
-
I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.
I’m here too. That’s why I have had Downs tabbed now since the start.
i don’t know if our front office feels this way I think there is a sneaky feeling we go Tate
I’m here too. That’s why I have had Downs tabbed now since the start.
i don’t know if our front office feels this way I think there is a sneaky feeling we go Tate
Would anyone really protest if they went for Sonny Styles who began as a Safety and morphed into a LBer (that could become a DC's favorite toy). Aside from his Combine this guy might be the biggest stealth in round 1 especially when Buckeye fans (me included) have been very reluctant to mention him before Tate, Downs, and Reese. Although I'm not quite as wild about Reese as others; but if he goes to the right situation/team I might have to put cheese and hot sauce on my sneakers and start tasting!!!
-
I’m here too. That’s why I have had Downs tabbed now since the start.
i don’t know if our front office feels this way I think there is a sneaky feeling we go Tate
Would anyone really protest if they went for Sonny Styles who began as a Safety and morphed into a LBer (that could become a DC's favorite toy). Aside from his Combine this guy might be the biggest stealth in round 1 especially when Buckeye fans (me included) have been very reluctant to mention him before Tate, Downs, and Reese. Although I'm not quite as wild about Reese as others; but if he goes to the right situation/team I might have to put cheese and hot sauce on my sneakers and start tasting!!!
Would anyone really protest if they went for Sonny Styles who began as a Safety and morphed into a LBer (that could become a DC's favorite toy). Aside from his Combine this guy might be the biggest stealth in round 1 especially when Buckeye fans (me included) have been very reluctant to mention him before Tate, Downs, and Reese. Although I'm not quite as wild about Reese as others; but if he goes to the right situation/team I might have to put cheese and hot sauce on my sneakers and start tasting!!!
I just can't see this team taking a LB who doesn't really rush the QB that high.
Then again, they did take Judkins higher than I figured they would take a RB, but there's a huge difference between the top of the second round and #6 overall.
-
Would anyone really protest if they went for Sonny Styles who began as a Safety and morphed into a LBer (that could become a DC's favorite toy). Aside from his Combine this guy might be the biggest stealth in round 1 especially when Buckeye fans (me included) have been very reluctant to mention him before Tate, Downs, and Reese. Although I'm not quite as wild about Reese as others; but if he goes to the right situation/team I might have to put cheese and hot sauce on my sneakers and start tasting!!!
I just can't see this team taking a LB who doesn't really rush the QB that high.
Then again, they did take Judkins higher than I figured they would take a RB, but there's a huge difference between the top of the second round and #6 overall.
I just can't see this team taking a LB who doesn't really rush the QB that high.
Then again, they did take Judkins higher than I figured they would take a RB, but there's a huge difference between the top of the second round and #6 overall.
First, I should have prefaced my post with what I mentioned in my previous post about the trade-back. I'm still firm with the most important position in round 1 for this team is LT. That said, when others bring up other ideas and possibilities - I'll add a possibility since we have more than 1 first round pick hoping for a 3rd via trade-back where I could make sense of even considering Defense in round 1.
Now to your point, the NFL draft isn't about rear view mirrors Dutch. For a LB who doesn't really rush the QB - he somehow had 10.5 sacks in 2024 and another 6.5 sacks in 2025 which is pretty freakin impressive when he was probably utilized more in coverage on pass situations. I was watching a discussion about him where 1 guy said the Ravens like to get creative with blitzing their 6'4" Safety Kyle Hamilton. Why that? Well, Styles showed up to Ohio State as a Safety but he morphed into a multi-purpose LB. In other words, the Buckeyes didn't say "Oh no - you only came here to be just a Safety." Since the NFL is all about the passing game - there's going to be NFL Teams with HCs/DCs capable of making him a star. Lawrence Taylor only had 5 sacks as a Jr at NC - they took the "you're only a LBer" handcuffs off him as a senior and he had 16 sacks. This is the guy that transcended the NFL according to Washington Coach Joe Gibbs saying that every team playing the Giants had to game plan exclusively for this 1 player. That's what I call taking the NFL out of the rear view mirror. I'm not saying, Sonny Styles is LT - but why wouldn't the Browns have fun putting him in an x-stunt blitz on the opposite side of the defense of Myles Garrett?
-
The stats I got on Styles @flugel is that Styles had 9 total sacks over his last three seasons… 2 in 2023, 6 in 2024 when I think he might have occasionally played Edge and 1 last season.
-
If I’m not mistaken Styles played the Mike LB spot this past year - he had more of a chess piece positional versatility role in 2024. This can account for 6 sacks in 2024 vs 1 this past season. He played a more stay at home go sideline to sideline and drop in zone coverage role this past season.
If I had to pick Styles or Reese I think I take styles
-
The stats I got on Styles @flugel is that Styles had 9 total sacks over his last three seasons… 2 in 2023, 6 in 2024 when I think he might have occasionally played Edge and 1 last season.
The stats I got on Styles @flugel is that Styles had 9 total sacks over his last three seasons… 2 in 2023, 6 in 2024 when I think he might have occasionally played Edge and 1 last season.
My bad, I mistakenly read you his 10.5 TFLs as his # of SACKS in 2024. I was WRONG! With a discomfort of gargling Dave's Insanity Sauce - please disregard 100% of my blowhard about Sonny Styles. Let's get back to Flugel's comfort zone here with a little - WE NEED TO DRAFT OFFENSIVE TACKLES THIS YEAR!
-
That's what I saw too...
So Lomu is 24 years old, which explains why he entered the Draft after his redshirt sophomore season because waiting until he's 25 is no bueno.
Did he do a Mormon missionary tour right after high school?
That or he went to a Roadhouse Bouncer school or excursion for a year. Anyway - I just cross referenced it with Athlon Sports 2026 Draft Preview (see below) and they have him at 21 years old. AI got the age right but the DOB wrong. Believe it or not, I still don't see it any differently in the sense of 2 years starting in the 2 years he suited up. If he stayed in school for a 3rd year as a starting LT - he'd be projecting for the 1st half of round 1 instead of the 2nd half of round 1 (if he didn't suffer a major injury IMO). I think starting experience is more important than the age. In order for Lomu to start at an important position like LT as a red shirt freshman - he had to prove he could be at least as good as Fano (no easy feat) so that gets my attention. Having said that, I get the feeling it was probably more like they just wanted to get both of these guys starting on the edges (and Fano is an unselfish team first kind of guy that gave the idea a 2 thumbs up with a "Hell yeah! Let's do it!").
That or he went to a Roadhouse Bouncer school or excursion for a year. Anyway - I just cross referenced it with Athlon Sports 2026 Draft Preview (see below) and they have him at 21 years old. AI got the age right but the DOB wrong. Believe it or not, I still don't see it any differently in the sense of 2 years starting in the 2 years he suited up. If he stayed in school for a 3rd year as a starting LT - he'd be projecting for the 1st half of round 1 instead of the 2nd half of round 1 (if he didn't suffer a major injury IMO). I think starting experience is more important than the age. In order for Lomu to start at an important position like LT as a red shirt freshman - he had to prove he could be at least as good as Fano (no easy feat) so that gets my attention. Having said that, I get the feeling it was probably more like they just wanted to get both of these guys starting on the edges (and Fano is an unselfish team first kind of guy that gave the idea a 2 thumbs up with a "Hell yeah! Let's do it!").
Back to the topic. I'll share some stuff via cut and pastes I'm scanning from Athlon's Draft Guide as I did above with OT prospects they ranked 3-5. These rankings don't clarify RT or LT or future Interior OL ie; OG or C. I'll start with the 2 top guys that probably won't be a LT although that's not totally set in stone. It's just that Fano has an arm length under 33" while Mauigoa's am length is under the desired 34" cutoff for whatever that is worth. I previously posted a list of successful/Pro Bowl NFL OTs and LTs that had arm lengths under 34" so keep this in mind. One can still win in the trenches even if he's missing 1 or 2 ingredients that can be compensated for in other parts of his game (ie; good feet/base can keep an OT in position in front of an edge rusher in spite of his shorter arm length. That may not always look pretty or overpowering during the hand placement but keeping our QB protected gives me all the eye candy I need... My apology for the font size. I hope everybody can read it.
-
That or he went to a Roadhouse Bouncer school or excursion for a year. Anyway - I just cross referenced it with Athlon Sports 2026 Draft Preview (see below) and they have him at 21 years old. AI got the age right but the DOB wrong. Believe it or not, I still don't see it any differently in the sense of 2 years starting in the 2 years he suited up. If he stayed in school for a 3rd year as a starting LT - he'd be projecting for the 1st half of round 1 instead of the 2nd half of round 1 (if he didn't suffer a major injury IMO). I think starting experience is more important than the age. In order for Lomu to start at an important position like LT as a red shirt freshman - he had to prove he could be at least as good as Fano (no easy feat) so that gets my attention. Having said that, I get the feeling it was probably more like they just wanted to get both of these guys starting on the edges (and Fano is an unselfish team first kind of guy that gave the idea a 2 thumbs up with a "Hell yeah! Let's do it!").
Back to the topic. I'll share some stuff via cut and pastes I'm scanning from Athlon's Draft Guide as I did above with OT prospects they ranked 3-5. These rankings don't clarify RT or LT or future Interior OL ie; OG or C. I'll start with the 2 top guys that probably won't be a LT although that's not totally set in stone. It's just that Fano has an arm length under 33" while Mauigoa's am length is under the desired 34" cutoff for whatever that is worth. I previously posted a list of successful/Pro Bowl NFL OTs and LTs that had arm lengths under 34" so keep this in mind. One can still win in the trenches even if he's missing 1 or 2 ingredients that can be compensated for in other parts of his game (ie; good feet/base can keep an OT in position in front of an edge rusher in spite of his shorter arm length. That may not always look pretty or overpowering during the hand placement but keeping our QB protected gives me all the eye candy I need... My apology for the font size. I hope everybody can read it.
Back to the topic. I'll share some stuff via cut and pastes I'm scanning from Athlon's Draft Guide as I did above with OT prospects they ranked 3-5. These rankings don't clarify RT or LT or future Interior OL ie; OG or C. I'll start with the 2 top guys that probably won't be a LT although that's not totally set in stone. It's just that Fano has an arm length under 33" while Mauigoa's am length is under the desired 34" cutoff for whatever that is worth. I previously posted a list of successful/Pro Bowl NFL OTs and LTs that had arm lengths under 34" so keep this in mind. One can still win in the trenches even if he's missing 1 or 2 ingredients that Bleacher Report journalism rookies want to hold them hostage with.
-
Back to the topic. I'll share some stuff via cut and pastes I'm scanning from Athlon's Draft Guide as I did above with OT prospects they ranked 3-5. These rankings don't clarify RT or LT or future Interior OL ie; OG or C. I'll start with the 2 top guys that probably won't be a LT although that's not totally set in stone. It's just that Fano has an arm length under 33" while Mauigoa's am length is under the desired 34" cutoff for whatever that is worth. I previously posted a list of successful/Pro Bowl NFL OTs and LTs that had arm lengths under 34" so keep this in mind. One can still win in the trenches even if he's missing 1 or 2 ingredients that Bleacher Report journalism rookies want to hold them hostage with.
-
So I've been reading a lot about arm length regarding OTackles, and how 34 inches is what scouts want.
I was curious so I looked up Joe Thomas' arm length... 33 1/2 to 33 3/4.
-
So I've been reading a lot about arm length regarding OTackles, and how 34 inches is what scouts want.
I was curious so I looked up Joe Thomas' arm length... 33 1/2 to 33 3/4.
So I've been reading a lot about arm length regarding OTackles, and how 34 inches is what scouts want.
I was curious so I looked up Joe Thomas' arm length... 33 1/2 to 33 3/4.
I just completed editing my post explaining some of this when this posted at the same time. Hopefully some of the explanation I gave makes sense. Also, I'll re-post many exceptions to the the arm length cutoff that I posted in the "Draft Simulator Season" thread on March 26th. I also explained specifics as to how guys can still be successful in spite of the shorter arms. This cutoff has a lot of analysts and guys in cyberspace talking about kicking various tackles with arm lengths under 34" inside to Guards/Centers. Looking at the last name below this must have been before the Super Bowl. The last one I posted didn't have him or Joe Thomas on it but it had SF's 6 time Pro Bowl OT Joe Staley with an arm length of 33.5".
-
So I've been reading a lot about arm length regarding OTackles, and how 34 inches is what scouts want.
I was curious so I looked up Joe Thomas' arm length... 33 1/2 to 33 3/4.
So I've been reading a lot about arm length regarding OTackles, and how 34 inches is what scouts want.
I was curious so I looked up Joe Thomas' arm length... 33 1/2 to 33 3/4.
Well done - that's a Hall of Fame LT. I can still remember Tour posting how impressive Joe's kick slide was. Again, his feet/base/hips always had him in ideal position for the success he/we enjoyed. 10 consecutive years of eye candy.
Anyway - the 2 most common players draft analysts are listing to be the 1st OT drafted this year (Fano and Mauigoa) have arm lengths under 34". Moral of the story - NFL teams/scouts/coaches willing to take the time to analyze the film on the OT prospects can make themselves healthy consumers during the Draft.
-
we are a month out…trying to get in the front offices head. They bring a guy like Denzel Boston in to test whether the drop off from Tate to Boston is significant enough to go Tate at 6. I don’t think we have an offensive lineman graded in the top 10. There is no doubt they see what you, me, Orion and every other breathing person we need a LT I don’t see leaving day 1 on the draft without one. I think they could reach at 24 if Lomu and Freeling were gone but I don’t see reaching at 6.
I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.
I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.
OK...so there's no WR or LT worth taking in the top 10 of the draft. And we sit at pick 6.
So, do they lie just outside the top 10? If we'd have won another game then perhaps it would be ok to pick them? But we couldn't win more games because although we had a premier defense, we had the worst OL & WR's in the league. - We could add the QB situation to the cause of being bad...except that even Flacco couldn't do anything with that OL & WR thing going on. And he was immediately much better when he joined the Bengals.
So, as the owner (pretend), I have to have my GM trade down in order to get the player that I need drafted to appease the BPA Party. And if nobody wants to trade with me, then I can't have the player that I need in order to win more games.
...I know sometimes I sound snarky, but go with it, always think of it as chatting with a couple of buddies at the bar eating beer nuts and drinkin' drafts.
-
I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.
OK...so there's no WR or LT worth taking in the top 10 of the draft. And we sit at pick 6.
So, do they lie just outside the top 10? If we'd have won another game then perhaps it would be ok to pick them? But we couldn't win more games because although we had a premier defense, we had the worst OL & WR's in the league. - We could add the QB situation to the cause of being bad...except that even Flacco couldn't do anything with that OL & WR thing going on. And he was immediately much better when he joined the Bengals.
So, as the owner (pretend), I have to have my GM trade down in order to get the player that I need drafted to appease the BPA Party. And if nobody wants to trade with me, then I can't have the player that I need in order to win more games.
...I know sometimes I sound snarky, but go with it, always think of it as chatting with a couple of buddies at the bar eating beer nuts and drinkin' drafts.
OK...so there's no WR or LT worth taking in the top 10 of the draft. And we sit at pick 6.
So, do they lie just outside the top 10? If we'd have won another game then perhaps it would be ok to pick them? But we couldn't win more games because although we had a premier defense, we had the worst OL & WR's in the league. - We could add the QB situation to the cause of being bad...except that even Flacco couldn't do anything with that OL & WR thing going on. And he was immediately much better when he joined the Bengals.
So, as the owner (pretend), I have to have my GM trade down in order to get the player that I need drafted to appease the BPA Party. And if nobody wants to trade with me, then I can't have the player that I need in order to win more games.
...I know sometimes I sound snarky, but go with it, always think of it as chatting with a couple of buddies at the bar eating beer nuts and drinkin' drafts.
I lean here but I think we will have a hard time trading back.
1. There is no QB worth a top 10 pick. Oddly enough, if Jeremiah Love were to fall (a position you don’t normally take in the top 10) maybe you get a team coming up?
2.And then You have what appears to be in many Scouting circles a decent amount of great defensive talent with some defensive needy teams like the Bengals and Cowboys just below us…do they sit tight and maybe not take the guy near the top of their board but the next best? Cowboys might be thinking we will take the two next best guys instead of giving up a second first round pick.
3. and then the elephant in the room is teams positioning themselves for what appears to be a pretty good 27 draft class - some of these teams looking to move up maybe playing a long game and not having a pick in 27 is not falling in line where you need to be. Tanking is alive and well in other sports - the NFL will be interesting come late November/December next year with bad teams jockeying for the top of the draft.
i don’t feel any snarkiness. I don’t disagree with you on the need to add a LT and a WR and the Browns may agree with you it needs to be done at 6. The difference is how we make these positions better and make the team better. Our second best asset right now is the #6 pick (Myles Garrett is #1). I could take the other valuable assets like #24 and make the LT spot better and maybe even draft the guy at 24 that I thought of taking at 6 but instead at 6 adding a player with a better chance to become a cornerstone of the franchise.
24, 39, 3rd round. I just posted last week I wanted two offensive lineman and a WR in these spots. That kind of attention in those positions should make this a better offense. We still aren’t going to be good. I don’t think we have a QB…but that will come in 27
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

