Who Are Legit Left Tackle Prospects at #24?
-
That or he went to a Roadhouse Bouncer school or excursion for a year. Anyway - I just cross referenced it with Athlon Sports 2026 Draft Preview (see below) and they have him at 21 years old. AI got the age right but the DOB wrong. Believe it or not, I still don't see it any differently in the sense of 2 years starting in the 2 years he suited up. If he stayed in school for a 3rd year as a starting LT - he'd be projecting for the 1st half of round 1 instead of the 2nd half of round 1 (if he didn't suffer a major injury IMO). I think starting experience is more important than the age. In order for Lomu to start at an important position like LT as a red shirt freshman - he had to prove he could be at least as good as Fano (no easy feat) so that gets my attention. Having said that, I get the feeling it was probably more like they just wanted to get both of these guys starting on the edges (and Fano is an unselfish team first kind of guy that gave the idea a 2 thumbs up with a "Hell yeah! Let's do it!").
Back to the topic. I'll share some stuff via cut and pastes I'm scanning from Athlon's Draft Guide as I did above with OT prospects they ranked 3-5. These rankings don't clarify RT or LT or future Interior OL ie; OG or C. I'll start with the 2 top guys that probably won't be a LT although that's not totally set in stone. It's just that Fano has an arm length under 33" while Mauigoa's am length is under the desired 34" cutoff for whatever that is worth. I previously posted a list of successful/Pro Bowl NFL OTs and LTs that had arm lengths under 34" so keep this in mind. One can still win in the trenches even if he's missing 1 or 2 ingredients that can be compensated for in other parts of his game (ie; good feet/base can keep an OT in position in front of an edge rusher in spite of his shorter arm length. That may not always look pretty or overpowering during the hand placement but keeping our QB protected gives me all the eye candy I need... My apology for the font size. I hope everybody can read it.
Back to the topic. I'll share some stuff via cut and pastes I'm scanning from Athlon's Draft Guide as I did above with OT prospects they ranked 3-5. These rankings don't clarify RT or LT or future Interior OL ie; OG or C. I'll start with the 2 top guys that probably won't be a LT although that's not totally set in stone. It's just that Fano has an arm length under 33" while Mauigoa's am length is under the desired 34" cutoff for whatever that is worth. I previously posted a list of successful/Pro Bowl NFL OTs and LTs that had arm lengths under 34" so keep this in mind. One can still win in the trenches even if he's missing 1 or 2 ingredients that Bleacher Report journalism rookies want to hold them hostage with.
-
Back to the topic. I'll share some stuff via cut and pastes I'm scanning from Athlon's Draft Guide as I did above with OT prospects they ranked 3-5. These rankings don't clarify RT or LT or future Interior OL ie; OG or C. I'll start with the 2 top guys that probably won't be a LT although that's not totally set in stone. It's just that Fano has an arm length under 33" while Mauigoa's am length is under the desired 34" cutoff for whatever that is worth. I previously posted a list of successful/Pro Bowl NFL OTs and LTs that had arm lengths under 34" so keep this in mind. One can still win in the trenches even if he's missing 1 or 2 ingredients that Bleacher Report journalism rookies want to hold them hostage with.
-
So I've been reading a lot about arm length regarding OTackles, and how 34 inches is what scouts want.
I was curious so I looked up Joe Thomas' arm length... 33 1/2 to 33 3/4.
-
So I've been reading a lot about arm length regarding OTackles, and how 34 inches is what scouts want.
I was curious so I looked up Joe Thomas' arm length... 33 1/2 to 33 3/4.
So I've been reading a lot about arm length regarding OTackles, and how 34 inches is what scouts want.
I was curious so I looked up Joe Thomas' arm length... 33 1/2 to 33 3/4.
I just completed editing my post explaining some of this when this posted at the same time. Hopefully some of the explanation I gave makes sense. Also, I'll re-post many exceptions to the the arm length cutoff that I posted in the "Draft Simulator Season" thread on March 26th. I also explained specifics as to how guys can still be successful in spite of the shorter arms. This cutoff has a lot of analysts and guys in cyberspace talking about kicking various tackles with arm lengths under 34" inside to Guards/Centers. Looking at the last name below this must have been before the Super Bowl. The last one I posted didn't have him or Joe Thomas on it but it had SF's 6 time Pro Bowl OT Joe Staley with an arm length of 33.5".
-
So I've been reading a lot about arm length regarding OTackles, and how 34 inches is what scouts want.
I was curious so I looked up Joe Thomas' arm length... 33 1/2 to 33 3/4.
So I've been reading a lot about arm length regarding OTackles, and how 34 inches is what scouts want.
I was curious so I looked up Joe Thomas' arm length... 33 1/2 to 33 3/4.
Well done - that's a Hall of Fame LT. I can still remember Tour posting how impressive Joe's kick slide was. Again, his feet/base/hips always had him in ideal position for the success he/we enjoyed. 10 consecutive years of eye candy.
Anyway - the 2 most common players draft analysts are listing to be the 1st OT drafted this year (Fano and Mauigoa) have arm lengths under 34". Moral of the story - NFL teams/scouts/coaches willing to take the time to analyze the film on the OT prospects can make themselves healthy consumers during the Draft.
-
we are a month out…trying to get in the front offices head. They bring a guy like Denzel Boston in to test whether the drop off from Tate to Boston is significant enough to go Tate at 6. I don’t think we have an offensive lineman graded in the top 10. There is no doubt they see what you, me, Orion and every other breathing person we need a LT I don’t see leaving day 1 on the draft without one. I think they could reach at 24 if Lomu and Freeling were gone but I don’t see reaching at 6.
I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.
I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.
OK...so there's no WR or LT worth taking in the top 10 of the draft. And we sit at pick 6.
So, do they lie just outside the top 10? If we'd have won another game then perhaps it would be ok to pick them? But we couldn't win more games because although we had a premier defense, we had the worst OL & WR's in the league. - We could add the QB situation to the cause of being bad...except that even Flacco couldn't do anything with that OL & WR thing going on. And he was immediately much better when he joined the Bengals.
So, as the owner (pretend), I have to have my GM trade down in order to get the player that I need drafted to appease the BPA Party. And if nobody wants to trade with me, then I can't have the player that I need in order to win more games.
...I know sometimes I sound snarky, but go with it, always think of it as chatting with a couple of buddies at the bar eating beer nuts and drinkin' drafts.
-
I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.
OK...so there's no WR or LT worth taking in the top 10 of the draft. And we sit at pick 6.
So, do they lie just outside the top 10? If we'd have won another game then perhaps it would be ok to pick them? But we couldn't win more games because although we had a premier defense, we had the worst OL & WR's in the league. - We could add the QB situation to the cause of being bad...except that even Flacco couldn't do anything with that OL & WR thing going on. And he was immediately much better when he joined the Bengals.
So, as the owner (pretend), I have to have my GM trade down in order to get the player that I need drafted to appease the BPA Party. And if nobody wants to trade with me, then I can't have the player that I need in order to win more games.
...I know sometimes I sound snarky, but go with it, always think of it as chatting with a couple of buddies at the bar eating beer nuts and drinkin' drafts.
OK...so there's no WR or LT worth taking in the top 10 of the draft. And we sit at pick 6.
So, do they lie just outside the top 10? If we'd have won another game then perhaps it would be ok to pick them? But we couldn't win more games because although we had a premier defense, we had the worst OL & WR's in the league. - We could add the QB situation to the cause of being bad...except that even Flacco couldn't do anything with that OL & WR thing going on. And he was immediately much better when he joined the Bengals.
So, as the owner (pretend), I have to have my GM trade down in order to get the player that I need drafted to appease the BPA Party. And if nobody wants to trade with me, then I can't have the player that I need in order to win more games.
...I know sometimes I sound snarky, but go with it, always think of it as chatting with a couple of buddies at the bar eating beer nuts and drinkin' drafts.
I lean here but I think we will have a hard time trading back.
1. There is no QB worth a top 10 pick. Oddly enough, if Jeremiah Love were to fall (a position you don’t normally take in the top 10) maybe you get a team coming up?
2.And then You have what appears to be in many Scouting circles a decent amount of great defensive talent with some defensive needy teams like the Bengals and Cowboys just below us…do they sit tight and maybe not take the guy near the top of their board but the next best? Cowboys might be thinking we will take the two next best guys instead of giving up a second first round pick.
3. and then the elephant in the room is teams positioning themselves for what appears to be a pretty good 27 draft class - some of these teams looking to move up maybe playing a long game and not having a pick in 27 is not falling in line where you need to be. Tanking is alive and well in other sports - the NFL will be interesting come late November/December next year with bad teams jockeying for the top of the draft.
i don’t feel any snarkiness. I don’t disagree with you on the need to add a LT and a WR and the Browns may agree with you it needs to be done at 6. The difference is how we make these positions better and make the team better. Our second best asset right now is the #6 pick (Myles Garrett is #1). I could take the other valuable assets like #24 and make the LT spot better and maybe even draft the guy at 24 that I thought of taking at 6 but instead at 6 adding a player with a better chance to become a cornerstone of the franchise.
24, 39, 3rd round. I just posted last week I wanted two offensive lineman and a WR in these spots. That kind of attention in those positions should make this a better offense. We still aren’t going to be good. I don’t think we have a QB…but that will come in 27
-
I have some serious doubts that there is a WR worth a top 10 pick in this draft, too.
OK...so there's no WR or LT worth taking in the top 10 of the draft. And we sit at pick 6.
So, do they lie just outside the top 10? If we'd have won another game then perhaps it would be ok to pick them? But we couldn't win more games because although we had a premier defense, we had the worst OL & WR's in the league. - We could add the QB situation to the cause of being bad...except that even Flacco couldn't do anything with that OL & WR thing going on. And he was immediately much better when he joined the Bengals.
So, as the owner (pretend), I have to have my GM trade down in order to get the player that I need drafted to appease the BPA Party. And if nobody wants to trade with me, then I can't have the player that I need in order to win more games.
...I know sometimes I sound snarky, but go with it, always think of it as chatting with a couple of buddies at the bar eating beer nuts and drinkin' drafts.
OK...so there's no WR or LT worth taking in the top 10 of the draft. And we sit at pick 6.
So, do they lie just outside the top 10? If we'd have won another game then perhaps it would be ok to pick them? But we couldn't win more games because although we had a premier defense, we had the worst OL & WR's in the league. - We could add the QB situation to the cause of being bad...except that even Flacco couldn't do anything with that OL & WR thing going on. And he was immediately much better when he joined the Bengals.
So, as the owner (pretend), I have to have my GM trade down in order to get the player that I need drafted to appease the BPA Party. And if nobody wants to trade with me, then I can't have the player that I need in order to win more games.
...I know sometimes I sound snarky, but go with it, always think of it as chatting with a couple of buddies at the bar eating beer nuts and drinkin' drafts.
Here's an old bar joke - what's the difference between Beer Nuts and Deer Nuts? Deer Nuts are under a Buck...
I think we'll get some talent at OT and WR in this year's draft. I can't predict trades but I'm intrigued with the idea I heard from others in here about trading back pick #6 with Dallas (and another in either the 2nd or 3d rd and ending up with three 1st round picks). All that said, I'm kind of happy about where our picks are set for as is.
-
Hypothetical Cowboys trade…
Browns get #12 and the Cowboys First round pick next year.
Cowboys get #6.
According to the Rich Hill Chart, the No. 6 pick is worth approximately 446 points, while the No. 12 pick is worth 347 points. A future first-round pick is generally valued similarly to a current late first-rounder (approx. 184 points), bringing the Cowboys' offer to roughly 531 points—a mathematical "win" for Cleveland.
It doesn’t math but Jerry is an impatient man. He has #6 and #20 this year to fix the defense now.
We move back take our WR maybe Tate here or our LT at 12 or one of these more highly regarded interior offensive line guys in a better spot. Still have #24 and #39 to cement the need areas. And we have two first round picks to find our QB in 27.
Browns enter 2027 draft with their own pick let’s say 8, Cowboys pick let’s say 18 and we dangle those picks draft chart says we can get to 3 and likely the most ammunition of any team to move into a spot to take a QB.
-
Hypothetical Cowboys trade…
Browns get #12 and the Cowboys First round pick next year.
Cowboys get #6.
According to the Rich Hill Chart, the No. 6 pick is worth approximately 446 points, while the No. 12 pick is worth 347 points. A future first-round pick is generally valued similarly to a current late first-rounder (approx. 184 points), bringing the Cowboys' offer to roughly 531 points—a mathematical "win" for Cleveland.
It doesn’t math but Jerry is an impatient man. He has #6 and #20 this year to fix the defense now.
We move back take our WR maybe Tate here or our LT at 12 or one of these more highly regarded interior offensive line guys in a better spot. Still have #24 and #39 to cement the need areas. And we have two first round picks to find our QB in 27.
Browns enter 2027 draft with their own pick let’s say 8, Cowboys pick let’s say 18 and we dangle those picks draft chart says we can get to 3 and likely the most ammunition of any team to move into a spot to take a QB.
Browns enter 2027 draft with their own pick let’s say 8, Cowboys pick let’s say 18 and we dangle those picks draft chart says we can get to 3 and likely the most ammunition of any team to move into a spot to take a QB.
The Jets have the most 1st round picks in 2027. 3 of 'em. They get the best QB in the 27 draft.
-
Browns enter 2027 draft with their own pick let’s say 8, Cowboys pick let’s say 18 and we dangle those picks draft chart says we can get to 3 and likely the most ammunition of any team to move into a spot to take a QB.
The Jets have the most 1st round picks in 2027. 3 of 'em. They get the best QB in the 27 draft.
-
Unless they take Simpson.
Ahh...you're thinking pick #16. They are a team with a history of being bad draft pickers...so anything is possible with them.
-
The Browns actually had offensive staff coaching up some of the OL drills in Indy.
Yeah. I noticed the guy in the Browns sweatshirt and was quite happy that we had somebody right there interacting with the players. I'd like them to give that guy a seat in the closet of the draft room. And before they hand in their pick they open the closet door and ask him if he had any thoughts on the player. Then give him some snacks and shut the door until the next round. Now you've covered all of the bases....unless you wanna ask the homeless guy...
--- LT, WR Rd 1 (<) ---
Yeah. I noticed the guy in the Browns sweatshirt and was quite happy that we had somebody right there interacting with the players. I'd like them to give that guy a seat in the closet of the draft room. And before they hand in their pick they open the closet door and ask him if he had any thoughts on the player. Then give him some snacks and shut the door until the next round. Now you've covered all of the bases....unless you wanna ask the homeless guy...
--- LT, WR Rd 1 (<) ---
The reality is that closet door was already open some days before the draft. All the players who make the Browns final draft board have been ranked by position group with input by scouts and coaches on each to arrive at those rankings. By the time you get to draft day there should be little discussion in the room as to which player is better in any given position group.
-
@flugel Thanks to our friends at Squeeler depot scouting dept ? (I'll receive my yearly ban for posting this ?) found some fun OL game tape!
here's a D2 Tackle from Slippery Rock, Pa. , seemingly pissed off because of only having 31" inch arms.. "open the club doors, we may throw one out"!
https://steelersdepot.com/2026/03/2026-nfl-draft-scouting-report-slippery-rock-ot-joe-cooper/
Happy Easter Dawgs ! ?
-
@flugel Thanks to our friends at Squeeler depot scouting dept ? (I'll receive my yearly ban for posting this ?) found some fun OL game tape!
here's a D2 Tackle from Slippery Rock, Pa. , seemingly pissed off because of only having 31" inch arms.. "open the club doors, we may throw one out"!
https://steelersdepot.com/2026/03/2026-nfl-draft-scouting-report-slippery-rock-ot-joe-cooper/
Happy Easter Dawgs ! ?
@flugel Thanks to our friends at Squeeler depot scouting dept ? (I'll receive my yearly ban for posting this ?) found some fun OL game tape!
here's a D2 Tackle from Slippery Rock, Pa. , seemingly pissed off because of only having 31" inch arms.. "open the club doors, we may throw one out"!
https://steelersdepot.com/2026/03/2026-nfl-draft-scouting-report-slippery-rock-ot-joe-cooper/
Happy Easter Dawgs ! ?
Well done Gumbs! Even though this idea above came from some Steel Minds - Cooper may be legit temptation late in the draft or via UFA. Like they point out if he can show quick feet with good lateral movement - I feel that will help prevent his Gator Arms from making him Gator-done. Again, if the lower half of the torso can keep one always in good striking distance - the negative short arm stereotype can become non-applicable in many cases.
While small schools can be a long shot - there's a former TB Buc (2nd round pick) that played Division III college football about 35 minutes from the high school I attended in Western, NY. Here's a cut and paste:
Shifting gears back toward your "Walk-off Home Run vrs the Steel Minds - here's some fun we had with Steelers fans back in the day when the guy that started our message board (Stan "Atenears") used to post and engage in the daily mix. I hit the deck LMAO every time I saw his Avatar! His good friend Zombo that used to call Stan "Skippy" also had some fun in the mix below. It would be nice to get the author formerly known as Zombo back in the mix even if he just wants to go incognito in another screen name...

-
Half dozen initial assessments done. So far my preference for a natural LT is Caleb Lomu. I'm digging deeper into his snaps and will have a review later.
Right now, he's my pick though.
-
Half dozen initial assessments done. So far my preference for a natural LT is Caleb Lomu. I'm digging deeper into his snaps and will have a review later.
Right now, he's my pick though.
Half dozen initial assessments done. So far my preference for a natural LT is Caleb Lomu. I'm digging deeper into his snaps and will have a review later.
Right now, he's my pick though.
The feet and base are really sound. He doesn't have impressive arm length wanted in a LT but the feet always keep him engaged. I often see while he doesn't dominate anyone at the initial collision an the LOS - he establishes good position and stays with his guys in pass pro. It's important to remember this 21 year old will be a 1st round pick despite leaving behind another 2 years of college football eligibility behind to enter the draft. Besides, 1 training camp with multiple reps vs Myles Garrett will probably feel like 2 years of experience. I hope Browns don't overthink this if they have a shot at him. This feels like it has KILLER GOOD upside following some inevitable learning experiences vs Myles early on in Camp.
-
-
Dane Brugler's 'The Beast' Draft Scouting Guide of Tackles
Don't mind keeping LT #4 & #5 ahead of RT's #6 & #7.. But, whom puts Lomu's up sided growth ahead of K. Proctor?
Dane Brugler's 'The Beast' Draft Scouting Guide of Tackles
Don't mind keeping LT #4 & #5 ahead of RT's #6 & #7.. But, whom puts Lomu's up sided growth ahead of K. Proctor?
That's 1 way to look at it. I'll give you devil's advocate. It wasn't Lomu's upside that only gave up 0 sacks all of last season Gumbs. Make sue you check out Proctor's opener vs Florida State as well as his history to get way out of shape and overweight. That type of guy is what we're tying to overcome at LT today. I read teams are looking at Max Iheanachor as a LT too.
-
Does anyone have the warm and fuzzies playing any of these guys at LT Day 1?
Having said that Decker if financially possible would be someone we should have added yesterday.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

