Skip to content

“Caleb Downs No Matter What”

The Browns Board
46 14 658 1
  • @dutch-oven said:

    Dude, I love this draft. 

    Boston and WIlliams at WR would make my nether regions tingle. Iheanachor and Jones is nice. Caleb Downs is possibly the best football player in this draft. 

    You also like you some Will Kacmarek.  I mean it cause I seen it...  I'd be happily stunned it Jones is still around in round 4 - but I liked SD's thinking/knowledge to look to the the Center position in round 4 offering up the best deals for OL in this draft. 

    @flugel said:

    You also like you some Will Kacmarek.  I mean it cause I seen it...  I'd be happily stunned it Jones is still around in round 4 - but I liked SD's thinking/knowledge to look to the the Center position in round 4 offering up the best deals for OL in this draft. 

    No doubt there are at least 3 centers who will be NFL studs and none will be picked before late round 3 at best.

    As much as this draft lacks what would traditionally be called elite talent, it is deep in good talent. Good talent will be found as deep as the 5th round. We can still be picking guys who have a good shot at being solid starters deep in to the draft.

  • @flugel said:

    You also like you some Will Kacmarek.  I mean it cause I seen it...  I'd be happily stunned it Jones is still around in round 4 - but I liked SD's thinking/knowledge to look to the the Center position in round 4 offering up the best deals for OL in this draft. 

    No doubt there are at least 3 centers who will be NFL studs and none will be picked before late round 3 at best.

    As much as this draft lacks what would traditionally be called elite talent, it is deep in good talent. Good talent will be found as deep as the 5th round. We can still be picking guys who have a good shot at being solid starters deep in to the draft.

    @ballpeen said:

    No doubt there are at least 3 centers who will be NFL studs and none will be picked before late round 3 at best.

    As much as this draft lacks what would traditionally be called elite talent, it is deep in good talent. Good talent will be found as deep as the 5th round. We can still be picking guys who have a good shot at being solid starters deep in to the draft.

    Agreed!   My guess is there will be a run on Centers beginning in the 3rd round and continuing on into the 4th round with Logan Jones being 1 of the first 3 drafted. I'd love to see it delayed a little further. If not, it could push some back some Guards I like.  I'd love to see us land Ga Tech's Keylan Rutledge or Miami's Anez Cooper or Texas' DJ Campbell or Arkansas' Fernando Carmona or some of the OTackles getting Joel Bitonio'd into bright futures as OGs...

  • I will be delighted if they pick Downs at six. Left tackle...

    what if Freeling would last that long, to the 24 pick eh?

    But I also want Olaivavega Ioane hugely, OG, at 24.

    I still think the Giants take Tate at 5.

    as to wr....without Tate at six, I don't know.

  • Here is where I’m at with a week out…

    If no trade….

    1. Downs S  THEE

    1. D Boston WR UDub 

    2 Max Iheanachor T ASU

    3. Antonio Williams WR Clemson

    4. Logan Jones C Iowa

    5. Charles Demming CB Stephen F 

    5. Jimmy Rolder LB UM

    6. Will Kazmarek TE THEE

    7 Ar’Maj Reed Adams G A&M

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Here is where I’m at with a week out…

    So we're gonna take a Safety in round 1 and a LT in round 2.   You've gotta be Polish!   🙂  

    I'm hoping that my 12 & 10 yr old grandsons will not be at their father's house for, at least, Friday night so that I can watch some of the draft with the little Patriots & Jaguar fans.  

  • I was about to make a thread on this...

    I would take Downs over Carnell Tate. I say this as someone that despises OSU. I think Downs is an elite defensive talent. I recognize he isn't an immediate need, but there's a ton of defensive scheming potential there. Tate, while a position of need, never really impressed me. 

    Downs leaped off the screen

    Tate never really seemed to

    @mld-woody said:

    I was about to make a thread on this...

    I would take Downs over Carnell Tate. I say this as someone that despises OSU. I think Downs is an elite defensive talent. I recognize he isn't an immediate need, but there's a ton of defensive scheming potential there. Tate, while a position of need, never really impressed me. 

    Downs leaped off the screen

    Tate never really seemed to

    Tate is a rock solid possession receiver. He has a chance to carve out a helluva NFL career with that skill set. I don’t see him as the guy who is going to mow down defenders on the way to the end zone like a Megatron or a methed out Josh Gordon. 

    I’m down with Downs.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    Here is where I’m at with a week out…

    If no trade….

    1. Downs S  THEE

    1. D Boston WR UDub 

    2 Max Iheanachor T ASU

    3. Antonio Williams WR Clemson

    4. Logan Jones C Iowa

    5. Charles Demming CB Stephen F 

    5. Jimmy Rolder LB UM

    6. Will Kazmarek TE THEE

    7 Ar’Maj Reed Adams G A&M

    Sannnnnnnnnnnn D'YAYgo!  That was Science Blinding...

    Back in the 80s, I had to tell countless knuckleheads in my dorm from Long Island, NYC and NJ in college "HE'S NOT SAYING GIANTS!" The scary/sad part of that is I think I broke more than a couple hearts doing that. I spose I wouldn't be Flugel if I didn't...

    @flugel said:

    "SHE'S SAYING IT'S NOT GIANT!" The scary/sad part of that is I think I broke more than a couple hearts doing that. I spose I wouldn't be Flugel if I didn't...

    FIFY- And I can see why.?

  • @mld-woody said:

    I was about to make a thread on this...

    I would take Downs over Carnell Tate. I say this as someone that despises OSU. I think Downs is an elite defensive talent. I recognize he isn't an immediate need, but there's a ton of defensive scheming potential there. Tate, while a position of need, never really impressed me. 

    Downs leaped off the screen

    Tate never really seemed to

    Tate is a rock solid possession receiver. He has a chance to carve out a helluva NFL career with that skill set. I don’t see him as the guy who is going to mow down defenders on the way to the end zone like a Megatron or a methed out Josh Gordon. 

    I’m down with Downs.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Tate is a rock solid possession receiver. He has a chance to carve out a helluva NFL career with that skill set. I don’t see him as the guy who is going to mow down defenders on the way to the end zone like a Megatron or a methed out Josh Gordon. 

    I’m down with Downs.

    I didn’t pick him…but I think he is much more than just a possession WR.  Specifically with his Route Running and Contested Catch ability because of these two qualities  I see a guy that can get open downfield and make plays overtop the coverage.  
     

    As we get closer I’m having a harder time passing him up.  
     

    4.53 speed will play differently when you add the route running ability and contested catch ability.  RAS score or not the guy has great ability at the WR position 

    I have a couple friends talking about “he just has one good season of elite play” go back and watch OSU Northwestern at Wrigley in 2024…when the playcaller and QB wanted to call his name he delivered 

  • I'm thinking he won't still be on the board at #6. Too bad.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I'm thinking he won't still be on the board at #6. Too bad.

    I wouldn’t be surprised if he is available at #6.

    Historically, safeties aren’t taken that high in the draft.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I'm thinking he won't still be on the board at #6. Too bad.

    I wouldn’t be surprised if he is available at #6.

    Historically, safeties aren’t taken that high in the draft.

    @canton-dawg said:

    I wouldn’t be surprised if he is available at #6.

    Historically, safeties aren’t taken that high in the draft.

    you have Styles Reese and Tate possible going ahead of him, and that POS day couldnt even sniff a natty with those guys on the roster

  • @flugel said:

    "SHE'S SAYING IT'S NOT GIANT!" The scary/sad part of that is I think I broke more than a couple hearts doing that. I spose I wouldn't be Flugel if I didn't...

    FIFY- And I can see why.?

    @texasag1969 said:

    After Viagra stopped working Dr Sequoia put me on mycoxaflappin; and now I'm playing naked Twister with all my Exes in Texas.?

    FIFY - no more 4th and inches for the 12th man at least for now anyway...

  • sydS syd

    @canton-dawg said:

    I wouldn’t be surprised if he is available at #6.

    Historically, safeties aren’t taken that high in the draft.

    you have Styles Reese and Tate possible going ahead of him, and that POS day couldnt even sniff a natty with those guys on the roster

    @syd said:

    you have Styles Reese and Tate possible going ahead of him, and that POS day couldnt even sniff a natty with those guys on the roster

    But he did…14 months ago. My fantasy world is one natty per 4/5 years and be in the hunt every year.   Don’t be part of the lunatic fringe.
     

     They lost to a team that had the right gameplan and executed perfectly on offense.  On the flipside we had a game plan that didn’t exploit DEs rushing wildly upfield (screens and draws) and a young QB when he had time just didn’t see the field well that day.  Don’t bother doing this but there are a couple people that have broken down the game and there are a handful of busted coverages (early in the play) that we missed. 

  • @syd said:

    you have Styles Reese and Tate possible going ahead of him, and that POS day couldnt even sniff a natty with those guys on the roster

    But he did…14 months ago. My fantasy world is one natty per 4/5 years and be in the hunt every year.   Don’t be part of the lunatic fringe.
     

     They lost to a team that had the right gameplan and executed perfectly on offense.  On the flipside we had a game plan that didn’t exploit DEs rushing wildly upfield (screens and draws) and a young QB when he had time just didn’t see the field well that day.  Don’t bother doing this but there are a couple people that have broken down the game and there are a handful of busted coverages (early in the play) that we missed. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    But he did…14 months ago. My fantasy world is one natty per 4/5 years and be in the hunt every year.   Don’t be part of the lunatic fringe.

    Nope Sorry , Chipper was not calling all the plays but he did put together game plans(we won), and Hartline was calling plays before he decided he was going to leave and then day took over and we lost our last two games, no way ill be a day fan unless he go's 15-0 next year, and i still wont like him

  • sydS syd

    @canton-dawg said:

    I wouldn’t be surprised if he is available at #6.

    Historically, safeties aren’t taken that high in the draft.

    you have Styles Reese and Tate possible going ahead of him, and that POS day couldnt even sniff a natty with those guys on the roster

    @syd said:

    you have Styles Reese and Tate possible going ahead of him, and that POS day couldnt even sniff a natty with those guys on the roster

    We could see four Buckeyes in the top 10.

    That’s how mediocre Ohio State’s OLine looked vs Indiana and Miami.

  • @syd said:

    you have Styles Reese and Tate possible going ahead of him, and that POS day couldnt even sniff a natty with those guys on the roster

    We could see four Buckeyes in the top 10.

    That’s how mediocre Ohio State’s OLine looked vs Indiana and Miami.

    @dutch-oven said:

    We could see four Buckeyes in the top 10.

    That’s how mediocre Ohio State’s OLine looked vs Indiana and Miami.

    Speaking of Miami - they had a very good OL to the left of Francis Mauigoa imo.  I have a feeling that Markel Bell is getting drafted on day 2; and quite possibly as high as round 2.  I wouldn't feel bad if the Browns drafted any of the big fellers listed in the cut and pastes below.  Anez Cooper looked like a castle wearing a 73 jersey in the CFP.

    image.png.ea90ae688f05755b8b1a0e1b1e7c8b7a.png

    image.png.acbe77b7e7413a91150fdc24ce2ae7f6.png

  • Watching the potential investment:day 1 ability of the WR & OT class. I'm starting to float towards this Caleb Downs group a bit. 

  • Watching the potential investment:day 1 ability of the WR & OT class. I'm starting to float towards this Caleb Downs group a bit. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Watching the potential investment:day 1 ability of the WR & OT class. I'm starting to float towards this Caleb Downs group a bit. 

    In my mind Downs is the best player in this draft.. If he's at 6.. You take him and don't even sweat it... Thats where I am right now... we'll have answers in about 48 hours...

  • Watching the potential investment:day 1 ability of the WR & OT class. I'm starting to float towards this Caleb Downs group a bit. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Watching the potential investment:day 1 ability of the WR & OT class. I'm starting to float towards this Caleb Downs group a bit. 

    There's a decent amount of tackles and wide receivers I really like at 24.

    Really don't love anyone from either position at 6. 

    Can't go wrong taking such a talented player like Downs (or Sonny Styles) at 6. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Watching the potential investment:day 1 ability of the WR & OT class. I'm starting to float towards this Caleb Downs group a bit. 

    There's a decent amount of tackles and wide receivers I really like at 24.

    Really don't love anyone from either position at 6. 

    Can't go wrong taking such a talented player like Downs (or Sonny Styles) at 6. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    There's a decent amount of tackles and wide receivers I really like at 24.

    Really don't love anyone from either position at 6. 

    Can't go wrong taking such a talented player like Downs (or Sonny Styles) at 6. 

    There is one WR I like at 24 Boston.  He may go to the Eagles now at 23 when they deal AJ Brown.  You don’t just deal Brown without a backup plan.  In that case a tackle is in play at 24.  I would much rather satisfy a need at 24 than at need a 6.  
     

    I can name a small handful of WRs in the 2nd and 3rd round and I wouldn’t even mind a double down of WRs in the 2nd and 3rd.

    A tackle and two WRs builds the team up around a QB in 2027.

    Downs is the type of surprise move the Browns would make at 6.  Did we hear a lot about Mason Graham last year? Granted  I’m trying to will this into play.  

  • The teams that would like to come up to our spot for one of the defensive players already have decent offenses.  We don't.  But we DO have a real good D.  But then, that's WHY we're drafting so high and they're not...our offense sucks.  But let's not draft the best WR or OT in the draft.  Let's add another layer of gold to our D.  Because we'll get 'lucky' with one of the lesser offensive guys later in the draft.    ( I know, I'm an a-hole.  But ya didn't have to put up with me for the last few days )  🙂  

  • The teams that would like to come up to our spot for one of the defensive players already have decent offenses.  We don't.  But we DO have a real good D.  But then, that's WHY we're drafting so high and they're not...our offense sucks.  But let's not draft the best WR or OT in the draft.  Let's add another layer of gold to our D.  Because we'll get 'lucky' with one of the lesser offensive guys later in the draft.    ( I know, I'm an a-hole.  But ya didn't have to put up with me for the last few days )  🙂  

    @orion said:

    The teams that would like to come up to our spot for one of the defensive players already have decent offenses.  We don't.  But we DO have a real good D.  But then, that's WHY we're drafting so high and they're not...our offense sucks.  But let's not draft the best WR or OT in the draft.  Let's add another layer of gold to our D.  Because we'll get 'lucky' with one of the lesser offensive guys later in the draft.    ( I know, I'm an a-hole.  But ya didn't have to put up with me for the last few days )  🙂  

    The top three Left Tackles are Monroe Freeling, Caleb Lomu and Kaden Proctor

    Freeling has one season's worth of college starts, Lomu left after his redshirt sophomore season, and Proctor appears to be the worst combination of Jed Wills and Dawand Jones. There's a good chance Freeling and Lomu sit a good portion of their rookie seasons or struggle making the transition to the NFL if they do play right away.

    Carnell Tate, while talented, is probably about the 5th best WR to come out of Ohio State in the last decade. He might be the safest pick out of everyone I'm listing, but he won't be coming to Cleveland with Jeremiah Smith commanding a ton of attention on the other side of the field. Jordyn Tyson is probably the most talented WR in this class, but for every two college games he played, he missed another game. I like Makai Lemon, but at 6?

    In three years, if the Browns take one of those six and they are flawed, somewhat average NFL starters and Caleb Downs or Sonny Styles are bonafide Pro Bowlers, on a defense that doesn't have Denzel Ward anymore and a 33 year old Myles Garrett (if they haven't traded him by then) would you be upset they took either Ohio State defensive stud?

    I won't. Trust me, I've been banging the OTackle/WR drum as loudly as anyone, but forcing a need over taking the obviously superior player doesn't help a team get better. At 6, this is an extremely disappointing draft for a team with our needs. I'd much rather use the #24 or 39 pick on another development Left Tackle in Max Iheanachor, than a 6 on developmental Left Tackles Freeling or Lomu.

    And I'd much rather use the #24 pick on Denzel Boston than the #6 pick on Carnell Tate, and it's not even close.