Skip to content

World Cup

The Browns Board
30 8 522 1
  • I don’t know if this is an appropriate thing to post or if any of you are watching it, but it’s been fun following it thus far. I’m definitely not a soccer fan, but it’s a big deal worldwide and it’s cool that we’re hosting this year.

    I have a tough time watching soccer as l don’t fully understand it. The timer counts up instead of down, so l never know how much time is left in a game. And when the time is up, more time gets magically added due to various stoppages. I have no idea what offsides looks like.

    Nonetheless l caught half of the Norway/Brazil game and it was pretty fun. Erling Haaland is an agile big dude, and USA plays Belgium tonight. I bought some Belgian beer for the occasion, not because l’m rooting for them, l just like Belgian beer.

    Even outside of the games it’s been fun hearing the various news and social media stories about international soccer fans and their experience in our country, like Scottish fans drinking all the beer in a Boston pub, and Europeans geeking out over eating biscuits and gravy for the first time.

  • I don’t know if this is an appropriate thing to post or if any of you are watching it, but it’s been fun following it thus far. I’m definitely not a soccer fan, but it’s a big deal worldwide and it’s cool that we’re hosting this year.

    I have a tough time watching soccer as l don’t fully understand it. The timer counts up instead of down, so l never know how much time is left in a game. And when the time is up, more time gets magically added due to various stoppages. I have no idea what offsides looks like.

    Nonetheless l caught half of the Norway/Brazil game and it was pretty fun. Erling Haaland is an agile big dude, and USA plays Belgium tonight. I bought some Belgian beer for the occasion, not because l’m rooting for them, l just like Belgian beer.

    Even outside of the games it’s been fun hearing the various news and social media stories about international soccer fans and their experience in our country, like Scottish fans drinking all the beer in a Boston pub, and Europeans geeking out over eating biscuits and gravy for the first time.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I don’t know if this is an appropriate thing to post or if any of you are watching it, but it’s been fun following it thus far. I’m definitely not a soccer fan, but it’s a big deal worldwide and it’s cool that we’re hosting this year.

    I have a tough time watching soccer as l don’t fully understand it. The timer counts up instead of down, so l never know how much time is left in a game. And when the time is up, more time gets magically added due to various stoppages. I have no idea what offsides looks like.

    Nonetheless l caught half of the Norway/Brazil game and it was pretty fun. Erling Haaland is an agile big dude, and USA plays Belgium tonight. I bought some Belgian beer for the occasion, not because l’m rooting for them, l just like Belgian beer.

    Even outside of the games it’s been fun hearing the various news and social media stories about international soccer fans and their experience in our country, like Scottish fans drinking all the beer in a Boston pub, and Europeans geeking out over eating biscuits and gravy for the first time.

    It honestly made me jealous that Cleveland didn't get a World Cup game with the Scots there, they looked like a ton of fun.

  • Welp, poor showing by us tonight. Got whipped by a country a third of the size of Ohio. Belgium’s pretty cool though. Some of the most marketable people in the world. Everyone speaks at least 4 languages. They make great beer and chocolate too.

    I’ve been to Brughes. It’s in northern Belgium, a canal town like Amsterdam, except with less hookers and weed. At least when l went. There may be more hookers and weed by now.

  • Welp, poor showing by us tonight. Got whipped by a country a third of the size of Ohio. Belgium’s pretty cool though. Some of the most marketable people in the world. Everyone speaks at least 4 languages. They make great beer and chocolate too.

    I’ve been to Brughes. It’s in northern Belgium, a canal town like Amsterdam, except with less hookers and weed. At least when l went. There may be more hookers and weed by now.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Welp, poor showing by us tonight. Got whipped by a country a third of the size of Ohio. Belgium’s pretty cool though. Some of the most marketable people in the world. Everyone speaks at least 4 languages. They make great beer and chocolate too.

    I’ve been to Brughes. It’s in northern Belgium, a canal town like Amsterdam, except with less hookers and weed. At least when l went. There may be more hookers and weed by now.

    Bruges actually has in it's Catholic Church one of the great sculptures by Michelangelo. Worth going to see in person. It's the look on Mary's face that seems to convey she knows what's in store for her child some day .

    https://www.michelangelo.org/madonna-of-bruges.jsp

  • I'm with you Bleed. I don't follow soccer-football. And don't know the rules. But ya gotta love those Norway fans and their rowing! Way cool !!

  • Welp, poor showing by us tonight. Got whipped by a country a third of the size of Ohio. Belgium’s pretty cool though. Some of the most marketable people in the world. Everyone speaks at least 4 languages. They make great beer and chocolate too.

    I’ve been to Brughes. It’s in northern Belgium, a canal town like Amsterdam, except with less hookers and weed. At least when l went. There may be more hookers and weed by now.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I’ve been to Brughes. It’s in northern Belgium, a canal town like Amsterdam, except with less hookers and weed. At least when l went. There may be more hookers and weed by now.

    Thoughts and prayers!

  • We are in Norway right now, it's amazing ( Ullensvang) in the Hardangerfjord region. The place is going nuts over their soccer. The win over Brazil would be like a Browns win over the Chiefs lol.

    I'm a little biased of course, but I think a Browns SB run would top their enthusiasm.

    The thing I absolutely hate about soccer ( and hockey) is the offsides rule. It's the anti-equivalent of the NFL rule changes protecting QBs & WRs.

    Heading to England for the British Open ⛳ Sunday. I'm sure if England is still alive in the World Cup things will get crazy.

    Snapchat-1307333491.jpg

  • We are in Norway right now, it's amazing ( Ullensvang) in the Hardangerfjord region. The place is going nuts over their soccer. The win over Brazil would be like a Browns win over the Chiefs lol.

    I'm a little biased of course, but I think a Browns SB run would top their enthusiasm.

    The thing I absolutely hate about soccer ( and hockey) is the offsides rule. It's the anti-equivalent of the NFL rule changes protecting QBs & WRs.

    Heading to England for the British Open ⛳ Sunday. I'm sure if England is still alive in the World Cup things will get crazy.

    Snapchat-1307333491.jpg

    @bob806 said:

    The thing I absolutely hate about soccer ( and hockey) is the offsides rule.

    The rule is in place to prevent Cherry Picking. Enjoy your trip!!!

  • @bob806 said:

    The thing I absolutely hate about soccer ( and hockey) is the offsides rule.

    The rule is in place to prevent Cherry Picking. Enjoy your trip!!!

    @orion said:

    The rule is in place to prevent Cherry Picking.

    My 3 sons keep telling me that.

    It's just weird an imaginary line is a defender, if that makes any sense how I explained it

  • We are in Norway right now, it's amazing ( Ullensvang) in the Hardangerfjord region. The place is going nuts over their soccer. The win over Brazil would be like a Browns win over the Chiefs lol.

    I'm a little biased of course, but I think a Browns SB run would top their enthusiasm.

    The thing I absolutely hate about soccer ( and hockey) is the offsides rule. It's the anti-equivalent of the NFL rule changes protecting QBs & WRs.

    Heading to England for the British Open ⛳ Sunday. I'm sure if England is still alive in the World Cup things will get crazy.

    Snapchat-1307333491.jpg

    @bob806 said:

    We are in Norway right now, it's amazing ( Ullensvang) in the Hardangerfjord region. The place is going nuts over their soccer. The win over Brazil would be like a Browns win over the Chiefs lol.

    I'm a little biased of course, but I think a Browns SB run would top their enthusiasm.

    The thing I absolutely hate about soccer ( and hockey) is the offsides rule. It's the anti-equivalent of the NFL rule changes protecting QBs & WRs.

    Heading to England for the British Open ⛳ Sunday. I'm sure if England is still alive in the World Cup things will get crazy.

    Snapchat-1307333491.jpg

    That’s so cool Bob, what a time to be there. Have a blast on the rest of the trip!

  • England's win over Mexico in Aztec stadium a man down most of the second half was amazing!!

  • England's win over Mexico in Aztec stadium a man down most of the second half was amazing!!

    @texasag1969 said:

    England's win over Mexico in Aztec stadium a man down most of the second half was amazing!!

    I didn’t watch but from what l gather England is a powerhouse. I watched most of the France/Morocco match in a bar before the Reds game yesterday.

    Morocco scored just as many points as the Reds. And yes, l know they’re runs in baseball. I don’t want lectures from anyone. Regardless, when you score zero, you’re gonna lose, lol.

  • England's win over Mexico in Aztec stadium a man down most of the second half was amazing!!

    @texasag1969 said:

    England's win over Mexico in Aztec stadium a man down most of the second half was amazing!!

    They played with one less player than Mexico? Why?

    I didn't know there was a power play in soccer. I'm so confused.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    England's win over Mexico in Aztec stadium a man down most of the second half was amazing!!

    They played with one less player than Mexico? Why?

    I didn't know there was a power play in soccer. I'm so confused.

    @dutch-oven said:

    They played with one less player than Mexico? Why?

    I didn't know there was a power play in soccer. I'm so confused.

    Player got red carded for excessive brutality trying to take a ball away. When you get a red card you are ejected and the team is not eligible for a replacement player. They do this to minimize purposefully trying to take out another team's player with a sacrificial player that can be replaced. So when England got a red card to a player, they had to play a man down from that point on. Pretty good rule actually.

  • All I know is the Croatian National team got screwed every which way a team can get screwed.. That was very frustrating being as I am Croatian descent by my Mother and my uncles who were born there.. My mother was born in Austria enroute to America while my grandmother was waiting for sponsorship and passage to the US. Football/Soccer has been a big part of our life... My Uncle was enshrined into Ohio Soccer HOF as a player and coach having accumulated 10 championships.. That's hard to do in any sport. All I can say was they could've just given Portugal the game and not even showed up... Croatia got robbed of 3 goals on 2 very suspicious offsides calls and one phantom(Hair folicles) touched the ball ruling that would've tied the game and sent it into overtime, The Bastards at FIFA wanted a Rolando/Messi matchup and they didn't get it.. I guess they thought a Croatian hero like Luka Modric' wasn't sexy enough.. Now because of their obvious bullshit.. FIFA has egg on it's face. But this is what happens when Gambling institutions get involved with Sports. I'm expecting similar bullshit with the NFL this season and we have seen examples of already.. I hope FIFA gets pooched in the ass big time. Too bad America couldn't keep it together.. America and Croatia were too teams that probably had the strongest rosters over all.. Now that Zlatko Dalic' has retired from the coaching position of Croatia and Luka Modric' expected to hang up the cleats as well.. The team faces some uncertainty but they will comeback.. Speculation is Slaven Bilic will reprise his position there as coach.. What a fucked up ending..

  • Norway v. England going in to extra time. Rooting for Norway here.

  • Welp…go Belgium l guess.

  • Argentina shows why they win world cups. 2 goals in the 2nd overtime to beat the Swiss 3-1.

  • Argentina shows why they win world cups. 2 goals in the 2nd overtime to beat the Swiss 3-1.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Argentina shows why they win world cups. 2 goals in the 2nd overtime to beat the Swiss 3-1.

    >

    I’m sure there’s a Swiss cheese defense joke in there somewhere.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Argentina shows why they win world cups. 2 goals in the 2nd overtime to beat the Swiss 3-1.

    >

    I’m sure there’s a Swiss cheese defense joke in there somewhere.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I’m sure there’s a Swiss cheese defense joke in there somewhere.

    LOL! Well, they were having to play a man down, so there's that.