Skip to content

Sanchez & Rey-Rey

The Browns Board
60 28 3.3k
  • @shepwrite said:

    Lots of speculation reshaped as certainty here. What we do know is none of us knows nothing.

    Would I trade this draft for Sanchez, Rey, and Nicks? Uh, yeah. Yesterday.

    There was WAY too much smoke on the Quinn offers. Michael Lombardi says another team offered a 2010 first rounder, kind of like the Seymour deal.

    Why Nicks though Shep? He's done less to date than MoMass.

  • @shepwrite said:

    I like MoMass a lot, actually... but I think Nicks will be the WR of this draft over time. I like him a lot. Also Kenny Britt.

    But my point is that nobody would've drafted Mo over Nicks.

    True. But until Nicks does something, I would temper the if's and buts when it comes to him.

  • The Steelers physically destroyed "Rey-Rey". Your post on that point, is garbage. The dude can't take a hit, you REALLY think he works now son? Belicheck passed for the same reason and why he fell into the 2nd round.

  • @.mz said:

    Again, Nicks is nicked up (ha!) and statistics don't occur in a vacuum.

    One could make the "argument" that a healthy Nicks would have better stats than MoMass if he were on the Browns instead of the Giants.

    See why these kinds of comparisons are silly?

    Candy and nuts, my friends.

    All the more toward my point.

  • Sanchez ,#17 pick from Den(macklin or wells), Rey and eben britton(rt) with winslow trade...hmmm

  • @shepwrite said:

    Good stuff, Solon.

    I'm actually in agreement on trying to compare WRs at this point. I was just saying that the Browns might have taken a WR at #17 if they'd already picked Sanchez. Then again, maybe they wait and take the WR in two and a lineman or safety at 17 or lower after a trade down. They could've traded down as low as 30 and still taken Nicks, for instance.

    Rest, I can tell you the Bengals and their fans are very, VERY happy with Rey. He's played extremely well. In addition to the tackles, he blows up lead blockers like nobody's business. He's a psycho.

    17 tackles, 2 FF, and 1 sack already. Aaron Curry has 15/1/1.

    Lends to my very serious point about talent evaluation by this new regime....don't get me wrong...I was thrilled we jumped out of the #5 pick....but to only get a 6th rounder for the #17 pick and only a 6th rounder for the #19 pick and then to take a FKN center? then to not draft rey?....I was flabbergasted and super pissed. belicheck got 3rd and 4th rounders later in the draft and picks next year for similar trade ups...kokinis got schooled on draft day....and the talent he and EM brought in smells huge of WHIFF

  • I picked up the Saints D for my fantasy team this week.

    I'm calling curtains on the Sanchez honeymoon this Sunday.

    @lumbergh said:

    I picked up the Saints D for my fantasy team this week.

    I'm calling curtains on the Sanchez honeymoon this Sunday.

    I picked up the Bengals defense in fantasy this week to play against DA......I think the "DA experiment" will be over after this Sunday! LOL

  • Personally I wouldve gone with Kenny Britt and Rey Maualuga, then got with Moore in the 2nd

  • @shepwrite said:

    Could've been our draft. We would have then traded Quinn to Denver for their 17th pick and probably taken Hakeem Nicks.

    We'll have more time to see how that would've played out, but I certainly think this team would have a much stronger foundation with Sanchez, Nicks, and Maualuga.

    Let's be real here for a second on this.

    Chances of Sanchez looking anything like he is right now, if he was on the Browns, is slim and none. The Jets are a much better team on both sides of the ball than CLE.

    Rey-Rey really hasn't done anything yet that makes me go "damn CLE should have picked him". Let's not get all gushy about him just yet. Plus, there is no way of telling if he'd even have the same bit of success if he was in a 3-4 D.

    Nicks has 2 catches for 18 yards. Not exactly showing up as a 1st rd WR. That is less production that MoMass so far.

    Masters said:

    Let's be real here for a second on this.

    Chances of Sanchez looking anything like he is right now, if he was on the Browns, is slim and none. The Jets are a much better team on both sides of the ball than CLE.

    Rey-Rey really hasn't done anything yet that makes me go "damn CLE should have picked him". Let's not get all gushy about him just yet. Plus, there is no way of telling if he'd even have the same bit of success if he was in a 3-4 D.

    Also, it's important to note that both were considered risky prospects, albeit for different reasons.

    Though it's hard now to see why some doubted that Sanchez would succeed (and I wasn't one of them), he did have some knocks against him: a one year starter who was surrounded by great weapons but whose decision-making was shoddy at times (3 picks in the third quarter of the Washington State game). And you'd be betting close to $50M on him being a franchise QB.

    With Rey, you're talking about a guy with past anger and alcohol issues, a habit of thinking injuries are more serious than they are, and a very low Wonderlic score.

    So that combination would have been very boom or bust-ish.

    @solon16 said:

    Sanchez ,#17 pick from Den(macklin or wells), Rey and eben britton(rt) with winslow trade...hmmm

    Britton got picked at #39. After #36, we didn't pick again until #50.

    You'd have to choose between Rey and Britton.

    @shepwrite said:

    17 tackles, 2 FF, and 1 sack already. Aaron Curry has 15/1/1.

    Check out solo tackles and TFL's. Those paint a slightly different picture.

    Ironically, Brian Cushing is statistically dominating both of them (26 tackles, 14 solos, 3 TFL's), but he doesn't even get mentioned.

  • I truly believe we could have pick all the players you mentioned and they would not have the stats they have. In most cases they walk into a good situation were winning is expected. Bottom line...The reality is we have a long way to go and any rookie is going to struggle with us if they start.

    We should start with the building blocks before we start drafting QB, WR and RB.

  • I picked up the Saints D for my fantasy team this week.

    I'm calling curtains on the Sanchez honeymoon this Sunday.

    @lumbergh said:

    I picked up the Saints D for my fantasy team this week.

    I'm calling curtains on the Sanchez honeymoon this Sunday.

    Thank you so much for that wonderful information. I just couldn't wait to hear what you did. 🙄

  • Brian Cushing is averaging 3 more tackles a game than Maualuga.

    It would of been nice to get one of these guys instead of guys who ManGenius places on inactive.

  • Brian Cushing is averaging 3 more tackles a game than Maualuga.

    It would of been nice to get one of these guys instead of guys who ManGenius places on inactive.

    @mr.-t said:

    Brian Cushing is averaging 3 more tackles a game than Maualuga.

    It would of been nice to get one of these guys instead of guys who ManGenius places on inactive.

    Cushing would be on the bench playing special teams

  • Could've been our draft. We would have then traded Quinn to Denver for their 17th pick and probably taken Hakeem Nicks.

    We'll have more time to see how that would've played out, but I certainly think this team would have a much stronger foundation with Sanchez, Nicks, and Maualuga.

    (Rey is playing really well... and blowing up blockers in addition to making tackles.)

    @shepwrite said:

    (Rey is playing really well... and blowing up blockers in addition to making tackles.)

    Rey talked with Jim Rome today (radio) and seemed like a pretty stand up kid. And completely not the guy who air-humped Erin Andrews less than a year ago.

    Give him another month with Chris Henry....

  • @shepwrite said:

    Good stuff, Solon.

    I'm actually in agreement on trying to compare WRs at this point. I was just saying that the Browns might have taken a WR at #17 if they'd already picked Sanchez. Then again, maybe they wait and take the WR in two and a lineman or safety at 17 or lower after a trade down. They could've traded down as low as 30 and still taken Nicks, for instance.

    Rest, I can tell you the Bengals and their fans are very, VERY happy with Rey. He's played extremely well. In addition to the tackles, he blows up lead blockers like nobody's business. He's a psycho.

    17 tackles, 2 FF, and 1 sack already. Aaron Curry has 15/1/1.

    Sorry man, Rey was destroyed by the Steelers. Nuff said. Cincinnati fans can say they are "happy" all they want. If the Steeler had their brains together, they would be in trouble.

    Typical early season mumbling, I can do far without.

  • @ restin...ur a joke...

    @ ALOY....OK Phil loadholt!

  • @shepwrite said:

    Good stuff, Solon.

    I'm actually in agreement on trying to compare WRs at this point. I was just saying that the Browns might have taken a WR at #17 if they'd already picked Sanchez. Then again, maybe they wait and take the WR in two and a lineman or safety at 17 or lower after a trade down. They could've traded down as low as 30 and still taken Nicks, for instance.

    Rest, I can tell you the Bengals and their fans are very, VERY happy with Rey. He's played extremely well. In addition to the tackles, he blows up lead blockers like nobody's business. He's a psycho.

    17 tackles, 2 FF, and 1 sack already. Aaron Curry has 15/1/1.

    Sorry man, Rey was destroyed by the Steelers. Nuff said. Cincinnati fans can say they are "happy" all they want. If the Steeler had their brains together, they would be in trouble.

    Typical early season mumbling, I can do far without.

    @restinpeace said:

    Sorry man, Rey was destroyed by the Steelers. Nuff said.

    Not really. Here are some highlights from the Steelers game:

    It's typical Rey Rey: he makes a few nice plays, almost makes a big one, and freelances his way into giving up a touchdown. If Cinci had lost that game, Bengals fans would have been a lot more critical of his performance.

    But since winning cures all, we're instead given the impression that Rey's playing extremely well. In reality, he appears to be the same guy that Mangini and every other 3-4 team passed on.

    The read & react 3-4 requires discipline and great mental awareness: two things that Maualuga, despite his impressive physical attributes, does not possess. He could end up being a very good player, but he just wasn't a fit for Mangini's system, both in terms of scheme and temperament.

  • A Alo

    Masters said:

    Let's be real here for a second on this.

    Chances of Sanchez looking anything like he is right now, if he was on the Browns, is slim and none. The Jets are a much better team on both sides of the ball than CLE.

    Rey-Rey really hasn't done anything yet that makes me go "damn CLE should have picked him". Let's not get all gushy about him just yet. Plus, there is no way of telling if he'd even have the same bit of success if he was in a 3-4 D.

    Also, it's important to note that both were considered risky prospects, albeit for different reasons.

    Though it's hard now to see why some doubted that Sanchez would succeed (and I wasn't one of them), he did have some knocks against him: a one year starter who was surrounded by great weapons but whose decision-making was shoddy at times (3 picks in the third quarter of the Washington State game). And you'd be betting close to $50M on him being a franchise QB.

    With Rey, you're talking about a guy with past anger and alcohol issues, a habit of thinking injuries are more serious than they are, and a very low Wonderlic score.

    So that combination would have been very boom or bust-ish.

    @solon16 said:

    Sanchez ,#17 pick from Den(macklin or wells), Rey and eben britton(rt) with winslow trade...hmmm

    Britton got picked at #39. After #36, we didn't pick again until #50.

    You'd have to choose between Rey and Britton.

    @shepwrite said:

    17 tackles, 2 FF, and 1 sack already. Aaron Curry has 15/1/1.

    Check out solo tackles and TFL's. Those paint a slightly different picture.

    Ironically, Brian Cushing is statistically dominating both of them (26 tackles, 14 solos, 3 TFL's), but he doesn't even get mentioned.

    @alo said:

    Also, it's important to note that both were considered risky prospects, albeit for different reasons.

    Though it's hard now to see why some doubted that Sanchez would succeed (and I wasn't one of them), he did have some knocks against him: a one year starter who was surrounded by great weapons but whose decision-making was shoddy at times (3 picks in the third quarter of the Washington State game). And you'd be betting close to $50M on him being a franchise QB.

    With Rey, you're talking about a guy with past anger and alcohol issues, a habit of thinking injuries are more serious than they are, and a very low Wonderlic score.

    So that combination would have been very boom or bust-ish.

    Britton got picked at #39. After #36, we didn't pick again until #50.

    You'd have to choose between Rey and Britton.

    Check out solo tackles and TFL's. Those paint a slightly different picture.

    Ironically, Brian Cushing is statistically dominating both of them (26 tackles, 14 solos, 3 TFL's), but he doesn't even get mentioned.

    Good Stuff Alo.

    I am still expecting Cushing to be the best LB out of that USC group and it seems he's on his way.

  • Could've been our draft. We would have then traded Quinn to Denver for their 17th pick and probably taken Hakeem Nicks.

    We'll have more time to see how that would've played out, but I certainly think this team would have a much stronger foundation with Sanchez, Nicks, and Maualuga.

    (Rey is playing really well... and blowing up blockers in addition to making tackles.)

    @shepwrite said:

    Could've been our draft. We would have then traded Quinn to Denver for their 17th pick and probably taken Hakeem Nicks.

    We'll have more time to see how that would've played out, but I certainly think this team would have a much stronger foundation with Sanchez, Nicks, and Maualuga.

    (Rey is playing really well... and blowing up blockers in addition to making tackles.)

    You forgot the most important part - AND dislodging footballs from ballcarriers. I wouldn't mind that type of impact standing up behind Shaun Rogers. Maybe some day we'll understand the importance of such a thing in this freakin 3-4 we've been sentenced to.

    - Tom F.

  • @shepwrite said:

    Could've been our draft. We would have then traded Quinn to Denver for their 17th pick and probably taken Hakeem Nicks.

    We'll have more time to see how that would've played out, but I certainly think this team would have a much stronger foundation with Sanchez, Nicks, and Maualuga.

    (Rey is playing really well... and blowing up blockers in addition to making tackles.)

    You forgot the most important part - AND dislodging footballs from ballcarriers. I wouldn't mind that type of impact standing up behind Shaun Rogers. Maybe some day we'll understand the importance of such a thing in this freakin 3-4 we've been sentenced to.

    - Tom F.

    @flugel said:

    You forgot the most important part - AND dislodging footballs from ballcarriers. I wouldn't mind that type of impact standing up behind Shaun Rogers. Maybe some day we'll understand the importance of such a thing in this freakin 3-4 we've been sentenced to.

    - Tom F.

    Halleluyah and amen