Skip to content

Sanchez & Rey-Rey

The Browns Board
60 28 3.3k
  • A Alo

    Masters said:

    Let's be real here for a second on this.

    Chances of Sanchez looking anything like he is right now, if he was on the Browns, is slim and none. The Jets are a much better team on both sides of the ball than CLE.

    Rey-Rey really hasn't done anything yet that makes me go "damn CLE should have picked him". Let's not get all gushy about him just yet. Plus, there is no way of telling if he'd even have the same bit of success if he was in a 3-4 D.

    Also, it's important to note that both were considered risky prospects, albeit for different reasons.

    Though it's hard now to see why some doubted that Sanchez would succeed (and I wasn't one of them), he did have some knocks against him: a one year starter who was surrounded by great weapons but whose decision-making was shoddy at times (3 picks in the third quarter of the Washington State game). And you'd be betting close to $50M on him being a franchise QB.

    With Rey, you're talking about a guy with past anger and alcohol issues, a habit of thinking injuries are more serious than they are, and a very low Wonderlic score.

    So that combination would have been very boom or bust-ish.

    @solon16 said:

    Sanchez ,#17 pick from Den(macklin or wells), Rey and eben britton(rt) with winslow trade...hmmm

    Britton got picked at #39. After #36, we didn't pick again until #50.

    You'd have to choose between Rey and Britton.

    @shepwrite said:

    17 tackles, 2 FF, and 1 sack already. Aaron Curry has 15/1/1.

    Check out solo tackles and TFL's. Those paint a slightly different picture.

    Ironically, Brian Cushing is statistically dominating both of them (26 tackles, 14 solos, 3 TFL's), but he doesn't even get mentioned.

    @alo said:

    Also, it's important to note that both were considered risky prospects, albeit for different reasons.

    Though it's hard now to see why some doubted that Sanchez would succeed (and I wasn't one of them), he did have some knocks against him: a one year starter who was surrounded by great weapons but whose decision-making was shoddy at times (3 picks in the third quarter of the Washington State game). And you'd be betting close to $50M on him being a franchise QB.

    With Rey, you're talking about a guy with past anger and alcohol issues, a habit of thinking injuries are more serious than they are, and a very low Wonderlic score.

    So that combination would have been very boom or bust-ish.

    Britton got picked at #39. After #36, we didn't pick again until #50.

    You'd have to choose between Rey and Britton.

    Check out solo tackles and TFL's. Those paint a slightly different picture.

    Ironically, Brian Cushing is statistically dominating both of them (26 tackles, 14 solos, 3 TFL's), but he doesn't even get mentioned.

    Good Stuff Alo.

    I am still expecting Cushing to be the best LB out of that USC group and it seems he's on his way.

  • Could've been our draft. We would have then traded Quinn to Denver for their 17th pick and probably taken Hakeem Nicks.

    We'll have more time to see how that would've played out, but I certainly think this team would have a much stronger foundation with Sanchez, Nicks, and Maualuga.

    (Rey is playing really well... and blowing up blockers in addition to making tackles.)

    @shepwrite said:

    Could've been our draft. We would have then traded Quinn to Denver for their 17th pick and probably taken Hakeem Nicks.

    We'll have more time to see how that would've played out, but I certainly think this team would have a much stronger foundation with Sanchez, Nicks, and Maualuga.

    (Rey is playing really well... and blowing up blockers in addition to making tackles.)

    You forgot the most important part - AND dislodging footballs from ballcarriers. I wouldn't mind that type of impact standing up behind Shaun Rogers. Maybe some day we'll understand the importance of such a thing in this freakin 3-4 we've been sentenced to.

    - Tom F.

  • @shepwrite said:

    Could've been our draft. We would have then traded Quinn to Denver for their 17th pick and probably taken Hakeem Nicks.

    We'll have more time to see how that would've played out, but I certainly think this team would have a much stronger foundation with Sanchez, Nicks, and Maualuga.

    (Rey is playing really well... and blowing up blockers in addition to making tackles.)

    You forgot the most important part - AND dislodging footballs from ballcarriers. I wouldn't mind that type of impact standing up behind Shaun Rogers. Maybe some day we'll understand the importance of such a thing in this freakin 3-4 we've been sentenced to.

    - Tom F.

    @flugel said:

    You forgot the most important part - AND dislodging footballs from ballcarriers. I wouldn't mind that type of impact standing up behind Shaun Rogers. Maybe some day we'll understand the importance of such a thing in this freakin 3-4 we've been sentenced to.

    - Tom F.

    Halleluyah and amen

  • I picked up the Saints D for my fantasy team this week.

    I'm calling curtains on the Sanchez honeymoon this Sunday.

    @lumbergh said:

    I picked up the Saints D for my fantasy team this week.

    I'm calling curtains on the Sanchez honeymoon this Sunday.

    Wow I should make predictions more often.

    Sanchez goes for 0 TDs, 3 picks (including a 99 yd pick 6), and just for good measure he fumbled in his end zone for another Saints TD

  • Sanchez played so much better than Anderson, I wish we would've drafted him. 🙄

  • Sanchez threw a pick 6 AND fumbled for a TD today. Total of 3 int's today.... 14 points for the Saints directly on Sanchez... he is not the infallable magician to bring victories. It takes a whole team.. we need 2 DE's, A Safety, CB, RT and RT.. THEN we might need to bring in a cb. Sanchez would be in the same boat as the qb's we have..we would still be 0-4 even with Sanchez here.

    Momass is making the Winslow trade look much better right now.. 4 games is not the time to evaluate a draft..

  • And talking of Rey Maulaga, I was not sooo impressed with him today to say we missed on an exceptional talent. Im very glad we picked up MoMass.

  • The way the Saints are playing ... i would not want to face them now.

    And man, Detroit ... they are improving for sure.

  • Detroit would have beaten the team we put out Weeks One through Three.

  • I enjoyed watching Sanchez...

  • Could've been our draft. We would have then traded Quinn to Denver for their 17th pick and probably taken Hakeem Nicks.

    We'll have more time to see how that would've played out, but I certainly think this team would have a much stronger foundation with Sanchez, Nicks, and Maualuga.

    (Rey is playing really well... and blowing up blockers in addition to making tackles.)

    @shepwrite said:

    Could've been our draft. We would have then traded Quinn to Denver for their 17th pick and probably taken Hakeem Nicks.

    We'll have more time to see how that would've played out, but I certainly think this team would have a much stronger foundation with Sanchez, Nicks, and Maualuga.

    (Rey is playing really well... and blowing up blockers in addition to making tackles.)

    I am glad it's not our draft. I am not sold on Sanchez. Nicks has already been injury prone.. and our draft may yet turn out to be the best in DECADES . Mack is looking very good and getting better every game. You cannot understate the value of a center to take on the DT's in the 3-4 we play in our division. Momass looking amazing today and if he had come down with that deep bomb he would have had around 175 yards today.He looks every bit as good as Nicks right now in my eyes, and he is a second rounder. Nicks is a first. I still believe in the future of Robiskie. James Davis looks like he will be "at least" servicable.. Unfortunately we will not know that this year due to his injury, Frances is already pushing for playing time in the seconday.. And the coaches are still high on Veicune, buit he is not getting any playing time yet. . I think the sky is the limit for this draft and could really help set the core of our team going into the future. And i did not even mention Maiava who could blossom.

    SHEP.. what are you complaining about????

  • Who needs Sanchez,?!?! we have quinn ahahhahahahahahahahhahhahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahaha

  • But I though he was the answer to all of our problems???? You mean he's not?? Oh, this is terrible, what are we to to do..

    I guess we will have to suffer with Mack as our dominating Center, Momass tearing it up.. Coye Francis pushing for playing time already, James davis as a servicable RB or better.. Veikune and Maiava possible becoming future contributers.. I also still have belief in Robiskie as a solid reciever.. This may be the best draft in decades... if people stop trying to judge it 3-4 games into the season.. Sanchez is human after all...who would have believed it.

  • Rex Ryan should bench him!

    come to think of it Jets owners should grow some stones and fire Ryan!

  • I have no problem passing on Sanchez knowing what we thought we knew at the time. Some felt DA could get back to form and others wanted to see what Quinn had. Drafting a third young QB would have been crazy.

    I do have a problem with taking Robo instead of Rey Rey. I had a gut feeling, on that day, we missed. Frickin' Mangini was looking for school boys.

  • I have no problem passing on Sanchez knowing what we thought we knew at the time. Some felt DA could get back to form and others wanted to see what Quinn had. Drafting a third young QB would have been crazy.

    I do have a problem with taking Robo instead of Rey Rey. I had a gut feeling, on that day, we missed. Frickin' Mangini was looking for school boys.

    @oconrecon said:

    I have no problem passing on Sanchez knowing what we thought we knew at the time. Some felt DA could get back to form and others wanted to see what Quinn had. Drafting a third young QB would have been crazy.

    I do have a problem with taking Robo instead of Rey Rey. I had a gut feeling, on that day, we missed. Frickin' Mangini was looking for school boys.

    How can you say we missed? The season is 4 games old.. Who knows where these guys end up. Hall of fame, pro bowls, toilet bowl.. you cannnot judge good and bad draft picks so soon.. Jerry rice was a disaster as a rookie, John elway was called the 7 mil dollar misfit his rookie year.... Come'on man.. use your heads.

  • @shepwrite said:

    Could've been our draft. We would have then traded Quinn to Denver for their 17th pick and probably taken Hakeem Nicks.

    We'll have more time to see how that would've played out, but I certainly think this team would have a much stronger foundation with Sanchez, Nicks, and Maualuga.

    (Rey is playing really well... and blowing up blockers in addition to making tackles.)

    I am glad it's not our draft. I am not sold on Sanchez. Nicks has already been injury prone.. and our draft may yet turn out to be the best in DECADES . Mack is looking very good and getting better every game. You cannot understate the value of a center to take on the DT's in the 3-4 we play in our division. Momass looking amazing today and if he had come down with that deep bomb he would have had around 175 yards today.He looks every bit as good as Nicks right now in my eyes, and he is a second rounder. Nicks is a first. I still believe in the future of Robiskie. James Davis looks like he will be "at least" servicable.. Unfortunately we will not know that this year due to his injury, Frances is already pushing for playing time in the seconday.. And the coaches are still high on Veicune, buit he is not getting any playing time yet. . I think the sky is the limit for this draft and could really help set the core of our team going into the future. And i did not even mention Maiava who could blossom.

    SHEP.. what are you complaining about????

    @sez.ej said:

    I am glad it's not our draft. I am not sold on Sanchez. Nicks has already been injury prone.. and our draft may yet turn out to be the best in DECADES . Mack is looking very good and getting better every game. You cannot understate the value of a center to take on the DT's in the 3-4 we play in our division. Momass looking amazing today and if he had come down with that deep bomb he would have had around 175 yards today.He looks every bit as good as Nicks right now in my eyes, and he is a second rounder. Nicks is a first. I still believe in the future of Robiskie. James Davis looks like he will be "at least" servicable.. Unfortunately we will not know that this year due to his injury, Frances is already pushing for playing time in the seconday.. And the coaches are still high on Veicune, buit he is not getting any playing time yet. . I think the sky is the limit for this draft and could really help set the core of our team going into the future. And i did not even mention Maiava who could blossom.

    SHEP.. what are you complaining about????

    Yeah i would love to see Maiava getting some playing time. Hopefully towards the end of the season we can see what we have. Guys a beast on Specials and his name is Kaluka Maiava...how awesome is that. not to mention the wild boar hunts.

  • yeah, Kaluka has been playing really well on specials. so has Costanzo.

    was that Maiava that drew that penalty today though? pretty sure it was him, first one though.

  • @alo said:

    Also, it's important to note that both were considered risky prospects, albeit for different reasons.

    Though it's hard now to see why some doubted that Sanchez would succeed (and I wasn't one of them), he did have some knocks against him: a one year starter who was surrounded by great weapons but whose decision-making was shoddy at times (3 picks in the third quarter of the Washington State game). And you'd be betting close to $50M on him being a franchise QB.

    With Rey, you're talking about a guy with past anger and alcohol issues, a habit of thinking injuries are more serious than they are, and a very low Wonderlic score.

    So that combination would have been very boom or bust-ish.

    Britton got picked at #39. After #36, we didn't pick again until #50.

    You'd have to choose between Rey and Britton.

    Check out solo tackles and TFL's. Those paint a slightly different picture.

    Ironically, Brian Cushing is statistically dominating both of them (26 tackles, 14 solos, 3 TFL's), but he doesn't even get mentioned.

    Good Stuff Alo.

    I am still expecting Cushing to be the best LB out of that USC group and it seems he's on his way.

    Masters said:

    I am still expecting Cushing to be the best LB out of that USC group and it seems he's on his way.

    Looks like he had a great game against the lowly Raiders: 7 tackles (5 solo), a TFL, and 3 QB hits.

    As Shep said, durability is a big concern for Cushing. And after seeing him struggle to replace an injured Maualuga in the Oregon game, I was a bit hesitant to project him inside, especially in a 3-4.

    But the talent clearly is there. He's making Houston's LB corps even better - he may end up being the second DROY in that three man group. And I hear that Mario Williams kid is a pretty good defensive lineman.

    From what I can tell, the Texans are a big run-plugger or two away from fielding a very good defense. Fortunately for them, next year's draft class will have the best group of DT's since the '01 draft (it's amazing how the Browns picked 3rd that year but ended up with the 7th or 8th best defensive tackle).

  • And talking of Rey Maulaga, I was not sooo impressed with him today to say we missed on an exceptional talent. Im very glad we picked up MoMass.

    @brownindian said:

    And talking of Rey Maulaga, I was not sooo impressed with him today to say we missed on an exceptional talent. Im very glad we picked up MoMass.

    We got momass later...robiske is whom you should compare to...