Skip to content

The Browns Board Lives: New Owner, New System, Same Data

The Browns Board
69 27 306 1
  • @hoorta said:
    Hi, yes it's me The Hoorta. Glad that BB was able to save the board. In my old age I wasn't able to remember my password, (or the new software didn't recognize it) and "Reset Password" wasn't working yesterday. Didn't want to post using my Google account- which uses your real name. That function is working now.
    I wrote this yesterday, it was saved, a lot has happened in the last 12-18 hours, so I'll modify it a bit.
    I have a very strong opinion on why the Poli Board should have died. It was ONLY one sided political opinion. (I think BB echoed that opinion) And differing POVs were unrelentingly attacked. I tried to Moderate some of it, and basically caught hell for trying to do so. Big reason why I essentially left the board for months\years- because I didn't need to see the unmoderated crap that was going on there. So IMHO if you want to talk right wing politics- there's plenty of Forums out there that will let you post away to your hearts content.
    I see that BB has allowed a new News and politics forum. I'm willing to give it a chance, but if it reverts into it's former right wing echo chamber with a load of ad hominum attacks regarding differing POVs- I'll be the first to say SHUT IT DOWN!!


    Welcome back Larry! If grown men and Cal are still worshipping Donald Trump on that board - it should help you understand just how terrifying the little 150 lb Hunter Biden must have been to that group.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote last edited by
    #55
    @Flugel said:
    Welcome back Larry! If grown men and Cal are still worshipping Donald Trump on that board - it should help you understand just how terrifying the little 150 lb Hunter Biden must have been to that group.


    The absolute funniest part of this whole situation is that dissenting opinions on THAT board were often deleted off it by the same guy who used to cry to Stan on a regular basis and when I showed up on it almost immediately Steve threatened to ban me from the board entirely 🤣 Now there are rules and they are melting down.

    Every middle finger we receive over this literally makes me warm and fuzzy inside. hahahahahahahahahahahaha

  • Captain TripsC Captain Trips wrote last edited by
    #56

    @bbedward thanks for keeping the board going man, loving the layout!

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote last edited by
    #57


    Respect

  • M MDDawg wrote last edited by
    #58

    Awesome work and thanks for keeping the community alive. Can you put a Paypal or Buy me a coffee link so members can make contributions?

  • Awesome work and thanks for keeping the community alive. Can you put a Paypal or Buy me a coffee link so members can make contributions?

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote last edited by
    #59
    @MDDawg said:
    Awesome work and thanks for keeping the community alive. Can you put a Paypal or Buy me a coffee link so members can make contributions?


    I put a ko-fi donate button that routes to PayPal from the beginning. Its in the header and the sidebar bottom on the home page.

    Don't expect anything, will never put ads or trackers here, and will never try to monetize the platform in any way. I do have costs associated (my servers, cloud flares email platform, cloud flare R2 storage, domain renewals) - so donations are appreciated but I don't expect them or demand them and I don't wanna spam popups asking for them.

    What we have now is much cheaper than the previous board in reality, the significant cost would be my time which I'm not counting obviously since I'm willing to spend the time on this anyway.

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote last edited by bbedward
    #60

    Maybe invite me to a tailgate or give me an extra ticket to a game that's before November. Id join, but otherwise I don't care.

    One of the main reason I care about this place is my interactions with @tour2ma . I was fresh out of college, we placed a bet for some beer, I don't remember who won but I sent some Christmas ale to Texas and he sent some beer to me from his local Texas town.

    The fact was it didn't matter who won the bet, we both just sent each other local beer samplers anyway, was awesome to me. I have a lot of interactions with people in real life and online across numerous forums (thousands of people and communities like this one to cryptocurrency to Linux communities). Nothing is more memorable to me than the interactions I've had here. I wish I could have talked to tour more in his battle with cancer, but nonetheless I'm grateful for the interactions I had with him while I was here.

    Go browns, and guardians, and cavs

  • Maybe invite me to a tailgate or give me an extra ticket to a game that's before November. Id join, but otherwise I don't care.

    One of the main reason I care about this place is my interactions with @tour2ma . I was fresh out of college, we placed a bet for some beer, I don't remember who won but I sent some Christmas ale to Texas and he sent some beer to me from his local Texas town.

    The fact was it didn't matter who won the bet, we both just sent each other local beer samplers anyway, was awesome to me. I have a lot of interactions with people in real life and online across numerous forums (thousands of people and communities like this one to cryptocurrency to Linux communities). Nothing is more memorable to me than the interactions I've had here. I wish I could have talked to tour more in his battle with cancer, but nonetheless I'm grateful for the interactions I had with him while I was here.

    Go browns, and guardians, and cavs

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote last edited by Ibleedbrown
    #61
    @bbedward said:
    Maybe invite me to a tailgate or give me an extra ticket to a game that's before November. Id join, but otherwise I don't care.

    One of the main reason I care about this place is my interactions with @tour2ma . I was fresh out of college, we placed a bet for some beer, I don't remember who won but I sent some Christmas ale to Texas and he sent some beer to me from his local Texas town.

    The fact was it didn't matter who won the bet, we both just sent each other local beer samplers anyway, was awesome to me. I have a lot of interactions with people in real life and online across numerous forums (thousands of people and communities like this one to cryptocurrency to Linux communities). Nothing is more memorable to me than the interactions I've had here. I wish I could have talked to tour more in his battle with cancer, but nonetheless I'm grateful for the interactions I had with him while I was here.

    Go browns, and guardians, and cavs


    Tour was one of my favorite people here too. His interest in O-line blocking schemes really spurned my own interest and l started really paying attention to the nuts and bolts involved. I no longer have a DVR, but when l did l would spend quite a bit of time rewinding and slo-moing plays to watch everything unfold.

    He was a gem of a human being too. I’m not sure l ever understood the significance of his handle though: Tour2ma. Anyone know?


  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote last edited by
    #62

    I just discovered l have mod powers? Thanks bb. I merged a couple threads. I’ll try to be discerning but there may be some trial and error as l figure things out.

  • I just discovered l have mod powers? Thanks bb. I merged a couple threads. I’ll try to be discerning but there may be some trial and error as l figure things out.

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote last edited by
    #63
    @Ibleedbrown said:
    I just discovered l have mod powers? Thanks bb. I merged a couple threads. I’ll try to be discerning but there may be some trial and error as l figure things out.


    I may make a mod forum for mods to talk about stuff and coordinate, I don't even know how to moderate this thing tbh, and I hope I don't have to anyway. I'd rather let ChatGPT moderate everything than do it myself. (ChatGPT is not currently a moderator, but if I have to start doing it and dont get enough help I'd consider handing it over to some AI)

    I put the basic spam protections in place and new members with 0 rep go through a queue so that their first posts have to be approved by a moderator. But it may take some fine tuning to figure it all out.

    I hope this place can make a comeback, it's a great community with a lot of great guys and gals. No matter what I'll make it the best Sports Board that exists.

    I know theres Reddit (which is a whole different beast), Dawg Talkers (which is ad riddled craziness and a god awful UX). No offense to them, but I'm just willing to make things awesome and not have ads or trackers or subscriptions. I'm fully realistic in the fact that I expect nothing but hope for good life experiences. Bring back fantasy football groups, in-person tailgates/meetups, all of the general fun things.

    I'm just happy I was able to take control of this place. I'll probably never ban or do any moderator actions (unless it's illegal stuff I mean, I have to act against some crazy stuff that might appear like CP or something insane - then I'll definitely go to the police). I really hope I never encounter anything like that. But this is the internet so you never know.

    Besides obviously illegal content and threats against other members, I have no problems though, I won't ban or police anybody unless they reach the point where I'd actually feel obligated to report them to the police (which is a circumstance that has never happened in the history of this board afaik)

    Hope we can get a group together soon for a browns tailgate.

  • L LondonBrown wrote last edited by
    #64

    This is great thanks very much.

    UK fans that hate twitter such as myself don’t get much if any chance to interact with other Browns fans. So again, thank you.

  • Don't forget that nickers and others will whine and moan unless "be equal" on the poli board is translated to "Heads Republicans win, tails Democrats lose" in addition to reposting threats of felony murder. Drawing a rifle scope around a picture of a Democratic politician is a threat. It shouldn't have to be explicitly stated.. that's not equality.
    And so whoever does the modding of the poli board will need to give in to those threats exactly zero times, because it's never Just This One Thread. It's forever.

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote last edited by
    #65
    @Unsympathetic said:
    Don't forget that nickers and others will whine and moan unless "be equal" on the poli board is translated to "Heads Republicans win, tails Democrats lose" in addition to reposting threats of felony murder. Drawing a rifle scope around a picture of a Democratic politician is a threat. It shouldn't have to be explicitly stated.. that's not equality.
    And so whoever does the modding of the poli board will need to give in to those threats exactly zero times, because it's never Just This One Thread. It's forever.

    I would suggest the political board not return at. So far everyone who mentioned it on both sides sounds like a twat.

  • F FairHooker11 wrote last edited by
    #66

    Thanks bbedward for doing this!

  • blindlemonpeelB blindlemonpeel wrote last edited by blindlemonpeel
    #67

    Formerly alporcini

    New screen name for a new era of the Browns Board.

    Zombo, nice to see you back brother.

    Bbedward. Thanks for keeping this joint alive.

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote last edited by
    #68

    I added a bunch of cooler home page features, including AFCN standings since they are nice to look at for once :hng: - and cut the reaction emojis down and added custom ones.


  • bbedwardB bbedward unpinned this topic
  • bbedwardB bbedward referenced this topic
  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote last edited by
    #69

    I didn’t even have to put in my password. Great job on the board. I did enjoy the Poli board though. It was very funny stuff, when they would argue and call each other names. Oh well