Skip to content

From an 'At the Game' Perspective

The Browns Board
136 29 5.7k
  • I really don't want to get into the QB debate today, but I think the forum is missing some insight here.

    On several throws, I'm sure that on TV it looked as if DA was way off the mark. I believe there was a hitch and go deep type fly route that was over-thrown to MoMass. DA had to get rid of it and let it fly, MoMass was a little delayed in getting caught-up in his move on the defender, it was a decent attempt and I believe we came back on third and long and still got the first down. It's nice to see us take a shot down field, and still being able to discard that wasted play and lack of production and still move the chains.

    Same could be said about one or two of the passes that were behind or off the mark to receivers running across the field, although DA also hit these same patterns for nice key gains too ... can't make all the throws, but I think he deserves a pass on a few of these that others are calling him "terrible" on.

    Early-on, I believe it might have been right after Edwards dropped a sure first down on a second-down play, DA again had to get it out early (to avoid a sack on 3rd down, see Brady Quinn), he launched it into the open flat that I believe Furrey was cutting to, but it sailed into open space because the timing was interupted. Sitting at home, you probably screamed at the TV, in the stands we were thinking he was lucky to just get it out and avoid the sack.

    The pass to MoMass that went for about 24-yards and lead him out of bounds heading toward the right sideline, was a thing of beauty. From our seats we had about the same angle on the play as DA, and for him to drop that pass in there and lead MoMass to an open part of the field was pretty nice. I had hoped that MoMass would have held his feet a bit better and turned that thing up-field as there was plenty of room left to take.

    DA's TD pass to MoMass that was eventually ruled down at the 1-yrdline was a thing of beauty and was perfectly thrown with nice touch. Although I'm sure you could see how well that ball was thrown from your TV.

    On the RED ZONE INTERCEPTION, that was right in our corner, from my view, he was expecting Heiden to button-hook, roll inward and sit down and DA was throwing to that spot. I'm not sure why it took Heiden so long to get somewhere there or perhaps he got caught up in traffic, but it looked like miscommunication (much more so, without the time to read such as Quinns deep ball INT in week #1). However, let's also keep in mind that we over-came a 1st-and-20 on that drive to get down there, as well as a 3rd-n-4 ... gotta get into the Red Zone before being grilled for a red zone pick.

    After Braylon Edwards came to Harrison's defense and was flagged for off-setting Unsportsmanline conduct, DA went right back to BE on the next play, but they just couldn't hook-up.

    DA made a great decision to keep it himself and score on the 4th-n-1 on the 1. If you are going to give the play calling shit and shit on DA for bad decisions in the Red Zone, then you are going to have to give credit to both on this play as I liked the play call and DA's execution as well. Give Harrison credit for taking his coverage into the deep corner.

    I heard griping that DA didn't do anything with Cribbs deep returns into Browns territory. On Cribbs 58-yard return, it was followed by Harrison's fumble-for-six.

    We ran the ball a hell of a lot on first down. Where are the Quinn faithfull bitching about that today? Makes a difference when the QB has gained a little respect.

    On the Bengals winning OT drive, they converted TWO 3rd-n-10's and a 4th-n-11 .... we deserved to lose.

    From an 'at the game' perspective, DA was money, and I liked that we at least attempted to take our strikes throughout the game. Some we over-came, some we converted, some halted our drives, but at least we tried to use the whole field.

    @atenears said:

    On the RED ZONE INTERCEPTION, that was right in our corner, from my view, he was expecting Heiden to button-hook, roll inward and sit down and DA was throwing to that spot. I'm not sure why it took Heiden so long to get somewhere there or perhaps he got caught up in traffic, but it looked like miscommunication (much more so, without the time to read such as Quinns deep ball INT in week #1). However, let's also keep in mind that we over-came a 1st-and-20 on that drive to get down there, as well as a 3rd-n-4 ... gotta get into the Red Zone before being grilled for a red zone pick.

    I favor DA over BQ, but shit, that was an awful decision. You've gotta look at where the corner is before you throw an out route to the TE. DA did not even see that the corner was there. Just got panicky and let it loose to the first read. Seems like an easy fix... in theory anyways. Just look outside before throwing that ball.

  • @atenears said:

    Red Zone Interception

    That's all that needed to be stated there. Stop sugar coating your boys nuts. He sucks, he's always sucked, and he hasn't progressed or improved one lick since his first start in the NFL. These types of INTs are the norm for DA, not the exception. You can try telling people who know football that DA is good until you are blue in the face. We know better.

    @thebestplayersplay said:

    That's all that needed to be stated there. Stop sugar coating your boys nuts. He sucks, he's always sucked, and he hasn't progressed or improved one lick since his first start in the NFL. These types of INTs are the norm for DA, not the exception. You can try telling people who know football that DA is good until you are blue in the face. We know better.

    Then stop opening up obvious Pro-DA threads. One who is such a football God and knows everything ought to be able to learn how to use a message board too right? I mean, no one is going to convince you any other wise, because you are such a Football Guru God, so why did you venture in here anyway ... don't YOU KNOW BETTER?

  • It would have been very easy for the team to give up after falling behind 14-0. They fought back and made it a very close game.

    I know that it was still a loss but, at least, the team demonstrated some pride.

    Buffalo next week? Monday night game? LOL

  • @thebestplayersplay said:

    Doesn't take being a football God to plainly see DA would be a backup or a 3rd string on any other pro football team. Someone has to fight the ignorance.

    You'd be hard pressed to find an NFL team where DA would be 3rd on the QB depth chart and just about every NFL team would be happy to have him as their back up. Starter, well that is a different story.

  • @thebestplayersplay said:

    Doesn't take being a football God to plainly see DA would be a backup or a 3rd string on any other pro football team. Someone has to fight the ignorance.

    You'd be hard pressed to find an NFL team where DA would be 3rd on the QB depth chart and just about every NFL team would be happy to have him as their back up. Starter, well that is a different story.

    Masters said:

    You'd be hard pressed to find an NFL team where DA would be 3rd on the QB depth chart and just about every NFL team would be happy to have him as their back up. Starter, well that is a different story.

    yeah, all those attempts to pick him up this past two years shows how much anyone wants him. lol

    Nobody was willing to trade for a guy who essentially had 1/2 a good season and then crapped.

  • @atenears said:

    Oh lookie here ... Steelers must have won this week.

    Atenears, you know I have posted here for years. I don't hide when my team loses. I came here to talk football because I noticed the poor decision your coach had made through the preseason and now again with the QB situation. Throughout the league it has been considered a bad move by Mangini to keep the QB competition going as long as he did and everyone knew that as soon as Quinn made some mistakes he would switch the QB. It does nothing for team chemistry and everythng for tearing a team apart.

    I have nothing invested in the browns. I have a very unbiased view of your QBs because of that. What I would like is for the browns to get their shit together and become a good team again. Working on a franchise QB would be a step in the right direction and Quinn is that person. DA is a pathetic QB for the most part. Yeah he can throw a better long ball, but when you need him he does not play consistant and in reality has had less than 1/2 a season where he played well.

  • @thebestplayersplay said:

    LOL Only you and a select few other blind DA knob slobberers would try and sugar coat a pick in the endzone while inside the 10 yard line that ultimately cost us the game. Had Quinn thrown that pick, you would be ther first to crucify him. Enough excuses for Mr. anti-clutch. (as someone in PMs so appropriately labeled him)

    Can't wait until we get a real QB on this team. (we may already have one but it's hard to tell after 2.5 starts against 3 of the best teams in the NFL)

    Homey, this point is pure fiction. Quinn would have never been in the Red Zone who are you kidding? Plus, it's not an excuse. As a staunch DA supporter I threw my hands up and said "WTF! Retard" when it happened. I think the point is that, as important as turnovers are, the reasons for them are just as, or maybe more so important. AND! For those "we know what DA is" people. Did you happen to notice him doing a better job of throwing it away and getting another chance? Also, his play-fake has improved drastically. The kid is still improving under his 4th system in 5 years.

    PS. I think they said that DA has 5 game-winning drives in his young career. More than Palmer.

  • @atenears said:

    Oh lookie here ... Steelers must have won this week.

    Atenears, you know I have posted here for years. I don't hide when my team loses. I came here to talk football because I noticed the poor decision your coach had made through the preseason and now again with the QB situation. Throughout the league it has been considered a bad move by Mangini to keep the QB competition going as long as he did and everyone knew that as soon as Quinn made some mistakes he would switch the QB. It does nothing for team chemistry and everythng for tearing a team apart.

    I have nothing invested in the browns. I have a very unbiased view of your QBs because of that. What I would like is for the browns to get their shit together and become a good team again. Working on a franchise QB would be a step in the right direction and Quinn is that person. DA is a pathetic QB for the most part. Yeah he can throw a better long ball, but when you need him he does not play consistant and in reality has had less than 1/2 a season where he played well.

    @fan-of-steel-1 said:

    I have nothing invested in the browns. I have a very unbiased view of your QBs because of that. What I would like is for the browns to get their shit together and become a good team again. Working on a franchise QB would be a step in the right direction and Quinn is that person. DA is a pathetic QB for the most part. Yeah he can throw a better long ball, but when you need him he does not play consistant and in reality has had less than 1/2 a season where he played well.

    I do not agree. I think Quinn is a bust. DA is all we have that is why he is playing. Mangini made a lot of tough decisions to prepare for yesterday and obviously they sat well with the players because they played with heart.

  • @atenears said:

    Red Zone Interception

    That's all that needed to be stated there. Stop sugar coating your boys nuts. He sucks, he's always sucked, and he hasn't progressed or improved one lick since his first start in the NFL. These types of INTs are the norm for DA, not the exception. You can try telling people who know football that DA is good until you are blue in the face. We know better.

    @thebestplayersplay said:

    That's all that needed to be stated there. Stop sugar coating your boys nuts. He sucks, he's always sucked, and he hasn't progressed or improved one lick since his first start in the NFL. These types of INTs are the norm for DA, not the exception. You can try telling people who know football that DA is good until you are blue in the face. We know better.

    I've said it before but here it goes. He has cut down on his dumb throws. Granted it was just one full start but on 3 occasions he threw it away and we kept going. His short throws looked great and so that's an area he has improved on. Also, he has imrpoved his play-fake. And so yes, he has improved. You really should know better.

  • @thebestplayersplay said:

    That's all that needed to be stated there. Stop sugar coating your boys nuts. He sucks, he's always sucked, and he hasn't progressed or improved one lick since his first start in the NFL. These types of INTs are the norm for DA, not the exception. You can try telling people who know football that DA is good until you are blue in the face. We know better.

    I've said it before but here it goes. He has cut down on his dumb throws. Granted it was just one full start but on 3 occasions he threw it away and we kept going. His short throws looked great and so that's an area he has improved on. Also, he has imrpoved his play-fake. And so yes, he has improved. You really should know better.

    @mopaji said:

    I've said it before but here it goes. He has cut down on his dumb throws. Granted it was just one full start but on 3 occasions he threw it away and we kept going. His short throws looked great and so that's an area he has improved on. Also, he has imrpoved his play-fake. And so yes, he has improved. You really should know better.

    And on 2 other occassions he threw near picks. If you are going to say he's cut down on dumb throws and pump up his throw aways, you might not want to forget about those.

  • @fan-of-steel-1 said:

    I have nothing invested in the browns. I have a very unbiased view of your QBs because of that. What I would like is for the browns to get their shit together and become a good team again. Working on a franchise QB would be a step in the right direction and Quinn is that person. DA is a pathetic QB for the most part. Yeah he can throw a better long ball, but when you need him he does not play consistant and in reality has had less than 1/2 a season where he played well.

    I do not agree. I think Quinn is a bust. DA is all we have that is why he is playing. Mangini made a lot of tough decisions to prepare for yesterday and obviously they sat well with the players because they played with heart.

    @atenears said:

    I do not agree. I think Quinn is a bust. DA is all we have that is why he is playing. Mangini made a lot of tough decisions to prepare for yesterday and obviously they sat well with the players because they played with heart.

    "It sat well with the players"???

    Are you indicating a lack of effort and heart with the other guy? If so, thats lame on their part.

    Buffalo is another penciled in win, we are running out of the easy ones. Any word if Robiskie will be ready to play?

  • @thebestplayersplay said:

    Do they keep a stat on game losing drives? Bet he has Palmer beat there too.

    You have a point. It's not nearly enough to say DA has peaked and is finished, but you have a point. I would like to see each QB's game-losing drives in their first 2 years in the league though. I'll bet the numbers are pretty close.

  • @mopaji said:

    I've said it before but here it goes. He has cut down on his dumb throws. Granted it was just one full start but on 3 occasions he threw it away and we kept going. His short throws looked great and so that's an area he has improved on. Also, he has imrpoved his play-fake. And so yes, he has improved. You really should know better.

    And on 2 other occassions he threw near picks. If you are going to say he's cut down on dumb throws and pump up his throw aways, you might not want to forget about those.

    Masters said:

    And on 2 other occassions he threw near picks. If you are going to say he's cut down on dumb throws and pump up his throw aways, you might not want to forget about those.

    Yeah but we can't really comment on plays that never actually happened. Like, Brady should of had 4 TDs and zero picks. I won't argue for or against things that never happened. I will say a few times I thought he got away with some. But all QBs have those plays in every game. Still, the fact remains, those picks never happened.

  • @atenears said:

    I do not agree. I think Quinn is a bust. DA is all we have that is why he is playing. Mangini made a lot of tough decisions to prepare for yesterday and obviously they sat well with the players because they played with heart.

    "It sat well with the players"???

    Are you indicating a lack of effort and heart with the other guy? If so, thats lame on their part.

    Buffalo is another penciled in win, we are running out of the easy ones. Any word if Robiskie will be ready to play?

    @hammertime said:

    "It sat well with the players"???

    Are you indicating a lack of effort and heart with the other guy? If so, thats lame on their part.

    Buffalo is another penciled in win, we are running out of the easy ones. Any word if Robiskie will be ready to play?

    He played yesterday on special teams so either he's close to being ready or Mangini is running out of options.

  • @atenears said:

    Red Zone Interception

    That's all that needed to be stated there. Stop sugar coating your boys nuts. He sucks, he's always sucked, and he hasn't progressed or improved one lick since his first start in the NFL. These types of INTs are the norm for DA, not the exception. You can try telling people who know football that DA is good until you are blue in the face. We know better.

    @thebestplayersplay said:

    That's all that needed to be stated there. Stop sugar coating your boys nuts. He sucks, he's always sucked, and he hasn't progressed or improved one lick since his first start in the NFL. These types of INTs are the norm for DA, not the exception. You can try telling people who know football that DA is good until you are blue in the face. We know better.

    You cannot say that this game was not an improvement for DA if you watched the game without bias. He threw nice short passes which he had never done before, even if you ignore everything else.

  • @atenears said:

    Oh lookie here ... Steelers must have won this week.

    Atenears, you know I have posted here for years. I don't hide when my team loses. I came here to talk football because I noticed the poor decision your coach had made through the preseason and now again with the QB situation. Throughout the league it has been considered a bad move by Mangini to keep the QB competition going as long as he did and everyone knew that as soon as Quinn made some mistakes he would switch the QB. It does nothing for team chemistry and everythng for tearing a team apart.

    I have nothing invested in the browns. I have a very unbiased view of your QBs because of that. What I would like is for the browns to get their shit together and become a good team again. Working on a franchise QB would be a step in the right direction and Quinn is that person. DA is a pathetic QB for the most part. Yeah he can throw a better long ball, but when you need him he does not play consistant and in reality has had less than 1/2 a season where he played well.

    @fan-of-steel-1 said:

    Atenears, you know I have posted here for years. I don't hide when my team loses. I came here to talk football because I noticed the poor decision your coach had made through the preseason and now again with the QB situation. Throughout the league it has been considered a bad move by Mangini to keep the QB competition going as long as he did and everyone knew that as soon as Quinn made some mistakes he would switch the QB. It does nothing for team chemistry and everythng for tearing a team apart.

    I have nothing invested in the browns. I have a very unbiased view of your QBs because of that. What I would like is for the browns to get their shit together and become a good team again. Working on a franchise QB would be a step in the right direction and Quinn is that person. DA is a pathetic QB for the most part. Yeah he can throw a better long ball, but when you need him he does not play consistant and in reality has had less than 1/2 a season where he played well.

    A Steelers fan saying Quinn is the guy? Like Rush supporting Hillary.

    Well, as a Browns fan I say Batch or Dixon gives you guys the best chance to beat the Browns. Also, if you wanna run effectively on us, you may wanna sign Edge off of free agency and turn him loose. Shaun Alexander is also out there.

  • Masters said:

    And on 2 other occassions he threw near picks. If you are going to say he's cut down on dumb throws and pump up his throw aways, you might not want to forget about those.

    Yeah but we can't really comment on plays that never actually happened. Like, Brady should of had 4 TDs and zero picks. I won't argue for or against things that never happened. I will say a few times I thought he got away with some. But all QBs have those plays in every game. Still, the fact remains, those picks never happened.

    @mopaji said:

    Yeah but we can't really comment on plays that never actually happened. Like, Brady should of had 4 TDs and zero picks. I won't argue for or against things that never happened. I will say a few times I thought he got away with some. But all QBs have those plays in every game. Still, the fact remains, those picks never happened.

    But you do see how saying "He has cut down on his dumb throws", when he had what were 2 dumb throws that he got away with, don't go hand in hand.

  • @thebestplayersplay said:

    That's all that needed to be stated there. Stop sugar coating your boys nuts. He sucks, he's always sucked, and he hasn't progressed or improved one lick since his first start in the NFL. These types of INTs are the norm for DA, not the exception. You can try telling people who know football that DA is good until you are blue in the face. We know better.

    You cannot say that this game was not an improvement for DA if you watched the game without bias. He threw nice short passes which he had never done before, even if you ignore everything else.

    @dawgtracker said:

    You cannot say that this game was not an improvement for DA if you watched the game without bias. He threw nice short passes which he had never done before, even if you ignore everything else.

    Actually I can clearly say it. We've seen much better games out of DA than this past game. Does that = degression? Hope all you want that DA is the real deal, I know that's all some of you have left. When DA keeps shitting the bed and losing games like he did this past game, it will be the coaches fault, or BEs fault, or the OCs fault ....right? I mean they only did everying thing in their power to give DA the tools to win this game against a poor Bengals team. (they will be .500 at best) They gave him a legit #2 receiver, a legit pass catching TE, they called screen plays numerous times, and they even racked up 200+ yards on ST!! (non of which was done for BQ) Don't count on that production out of Cribbs every game.

  • @mopaji said:

    Yeah but we can't really comment on plays that never actually happened. Like, Brady should of had 4 TDs and zero picks. I won't argue for or against things that never happened. I will say a few times I thought he got away with some. But all QBs have those plays in every game. Still, the fact remains, those picks never happened.

    But you do see how saying "He has cut down on his dumb throws", when he had what were 2 dumb throws that he got away with, don't go hand in hand.

    Masters said:

    But you do see how saying "He has cut down on his dumb throws", when he had what were 2 dumb throws that he got away with, don't go hand in hand.

    I'm not contradicting myself I'm just trying to be fair about this. He got away a few but each week every QB does. How many times in any game do you hear "almost picked off by __________"? All in all though, he's making better decisions. In some cases, like the pick, he's making better decisions than his recievers. I think with reps and attention from the coaches DA will be a solid starter for a long time in this league. And I am pretty happy we have him. Could you imagine if he was traded like fans wanted in the off-season?! Ho-ly shit.

  • @fan-of-steel-1 said:

    Atenears, you know I have posted here for years. I don't hide when my team loses. I came here to talk football because I noticed the poor decision your coach had made through the preseason and now again with the QB situation. Throughout the league it has been considered a bad move by Mangini to keep the QB competition going as long as he did and everyone knew that as soon as Quinn made some mistakes he would switch the QB. It does nothing for team chemistry and everythng for tearing a team apart.

    I have nothing invested in the browns. I have a very unbiased view of your QBs because of that. What I would like is for the browns to get their shit together and become a good team again. Working on a franchise QB would be a step in the right direction and Quinn is that person. DA is a pathetic QB for the most part. Yeah he can throw a better long ball, but when you need him he does not play consistant and in reality has had less than 1/2 a season where he played well.

    A Steelers fan saying Quinn is the guy? Like Rush supporting Hillary.

    Well, as a Browns fan I say Batch or Dixon gives you guys the best chance to beat the Browns. Also, if you wanna run effectively on us, you may wanna sign Edge off of free agency and turn him loose. Shaun Alexander is also out there.

    @mopaji said:

    A Steelers fan saying Quinn is the guy? Like Rush supporting Hillary.

    Well, as a Browns fan I say Batch or Dixon gives you guys the best chance to beat the Browns. Also, if you wanna run effectively on us, you may wanna sign Edge off of free agency and turn him loose. Shaun Alexander is also out there.

    Understand your point, but most TRUE Steelers fans I know want the Browns to get better so we can have a rivalry again. As is, it's dead.