Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Brian Robiskie

Brian Robiskie

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
15 Posts 7 Posters 1.4k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • WPB Dawg Fan W
    • 1k Posts
    • 0 Reputation
    W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by ATENEARS
    #1

    It could happen...

    Browns notes: Robiskie might get first start

    Published: Thursday, October 8, 2009

    By Jeff Schudel

    [email protected]

    Brian Robiskie, still looking for his first catch as a pro, might start Sunday in Buffalo, Coach Eric Mangini said Wednesday morning, less than three hours after the Browns traded Braylon Edwards to the Jets.

    If it happens, it would be a huge jump for the rookie from Ohio State drafted 36th overall. He played on special teams in the first and fourth games and was inactive in the second and third games.

    "I'm excited about the opportunity to keep working," Robiskie said when told what Mangini said. "I'm going to try and approach it the way I have — every day in practice, I've come out and I've tried to get better."

    Robiskie is different than Edwards in a couple ways. He isn't going to stretch defenses the way Edwards did, but he has reliable hands. Edwards dropped the first pass from Derek Anderson last week.

    Robiskie never had off-the-field issues at Ohio State. Problems when Edwards was out of uniform were a factor in Edwards being traded.

    "I don't know what the connection was between (Edward's off-the-field issues and the trade), but obviously Coach has stressed the importance of preparing yourself on and off the field and holding guys accountable," Robiskie said. "It's the NFL, it's a business and teams are going to do what they feel they need to do (to get better). All we can control is what we do in practice and on Sundays."

    The Browns are definitely being transformed this season. Mangini traded Kellen Winslow Jr. to Tampa Bay in February. Winslow missed six games last season but still caught 43 passes. Edwards caught 55 passes.

    The offense might not be as talented as it was over the last three years, but it will consist of more honorable men. And despite having Edwards and Winslow, the Browns were 4-12 in 2006 and 4-12 last year. They were 10-6 in 2007.

    "I'm excited to see how (Robiskie) does," Mangini said. "I'm excited to see how Chansi (Stuckey) does, how Josh (Cribbs) continues to develop. We have a younger group that I think has a lot of really good potential."

    Robiskie caught 127 passes at Ohio State. He caught 42 passes as a senior and 55 as a junior.

    This could be interesting. Chansi Stuckey may well start in the slot ahead of Furrey...with Furrey continuing on defense...and then have MoMass as the #1 and Robiskie be our #2....alternating with Cribbs. Or Cribbs may get some time in the backfield with Lewis still limited in practice.

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • ATENEARS ATENEARSA Founder In Memoriam
      • 4k Posts
      • 139 Reputation
      ATENEARSA ATENEARS wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I just keep thinking that Robiskie is just too slow. If the guy was a late rounder, or undrafted free agent it wouldn't matter, but I hated using a #2 on him.

      I hope the hell that I am wrong.

      I don't see him being crafty like Joe J., I seem to remember him running long, slow, drawn-out fly patterns at OSU where the offense had 7-seconds to wait for the play to form.

      ? The GipperT W BrownsKiddB 4 Replies Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • ATENEARSA ATENEARS

        I just keep thinking that Robiskie is just too slow. If the guy was a late rounder, or undrafted free agent it wouldn't matter, but I hated using a #2 on him.

        I hope the hell that I am wrong.

        I don't see him being crafty like Joe J., I seem to remember him running long, slow, drawn-out fly patterns at OSU where the offense had 7-seconds to wait for the play to form.

        Masters ?
        • Posts
        • 0 Reputation
        ? Masters wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @atenears said:

        I just keep thinking that Robiskie is just too slow. If the guy was a late rounder, or undrafted free agent it wouldn't matter, but I hated using a #2 on him.

        I hope the hell that I am wrong.

        I don't see him being crafty like Joe J., I seem to remember him running long, slow, drawn-out fly patterns at OSU where the offense had 7-seconds to wait for the play to form.

        I certainly don't think Robiskie will stretch the field like he did at OSU for the reason you stated. But Robiskie's 40 times aren't bad. The question becomes can Brian get seperation at the NFL level. I think he can, in the JJ style like you said.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • PlaygroundLegend PlaygroundLegendP
          • 927 Posts
          • 4 Reputation
          PlaygroundLegendP PlaygroundLegend wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Did you guys know that Robiskie ran a faster 40 than Braylon and Anquan Boldin. Plus he's just as tall as BE, jst doesn't have that crazy vertical.

          I think alot of people will b surprised by robiskie, he's the second fastest reciever on the team

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • WPB Dawg Fan W
            • 1k Posts
            • 0 Reputation
            W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by
            #5

            Current 3-1 or better teams:

            (go to guy has at least 5 more touches than anyone else on the team)

            NY Giants - Steve Smith is the go to (34 catches)

            Minnesota - NO go to guy

            Chicago - NO go to guy

            New Orleans - NO go to guy

            San Francisco - NO go to guy

            NY Jets - Cotchery (23 catches)

            New England - Randy Moss (29 catches)

            Baltimore - NO go to guy

            Cincinnati - NO go to guy

            Indianapolis - NO go to guy (or 2 if you go Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark with 26)

            Denver - Brandon Marshall (16)

            So, out of the 11 teams that are 3-1 or better, only 4 (5 if you count Indy) have a go to guy at this point in the season.

            ? 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • ATENEARSA ATENEARS

              I just keep thinking that Robiskie is just too slow. If the guy was a late rounder, or undrafted free agent it wouldn't matter, but I hated using a #2 on him.

              I hope the hell that I am wrong.

              I don't see him being crafty like Joe J., I seem to remember him running long, slow, drawn-out fly patterns at OSU where the offense had 7-seconds to wait for the play to form.

              The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
              • 57k Posts
              • 4k Reputation
              The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @atenears said:

              I just keep thinking that Robiskie is just too slow. If the guy was a late rounder, or undrafted free agent it wouldn't matter, but I hated using a #2 on him.

              I hope the hell that I am wrong.

              I don't see him being crafty like Joe J., I seem to remember him running long, slow, drawn-out fly patterns at OSU where the offense had 7-seconds to wait for the play to form.

              I think for him to be successful he WILL have to "crafty" like Joe J. And I am not sure that he cannot be that way. Numerous great receivers were not great speedsters. You remember Chris Carter, "all he did was catch touchdowns".

              RoBo has the background to be a successful possession receiver. And he is only a rookie who has played in what? 1-2 games? The "crafty" receivers always take longer to develop than the "speed" guys......he may yet be OK.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • W WPB Dawg Fan

                Current 3-1 or better teams:

                (go to guy has at least 5 more touches than anyone else on the team)

                NY Giants - Steve Smith is the go to (34 catches)

                Minnesota - NO go to guy

                Chicago - NO go to guy

                New Orleans - NO go to guy

                San Francisco - NO go to guy

                NY Jets - Cotchery (23 catches)

                New England - Randy Moss (29 catches)

                Baltimore - NO go to guy

                Cincinnati - NO go to guy

                Indianapolis - NO go to guy (or 2 if you go Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark with 26)

                Denver - Brandon Marshall (16)

                So, out of the 11 teams that are 3-1 or better, only 4 (5 if you count Indy) have a go to guy at this point in the season.

                Masters ?
                • Posts
                • 0 Reputation
                ? Masters wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @wpb-dawg-fan said:

                Current 3-1 or better teams:

                (go to guy has at least 5 more touches than anyone else on the team)

                NY Giants - Steve Smith is the go to (34 catches)

                Minnesota - NO go to guy

                Chicago - NO go to guy

                New Orleans - NO go to guy

                San Francisco - NO go to guy

                NY Jets - Cotchery (23 catches)

                New England - Randy Moss (29 catches)

                Baltimore - NO go to guy

                Cincinnati - NO go to guy

                Indianapolis - NO go to guy (or 2 if you go Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark with 26)

                Denver - Brandon Marshall (16)

                So, out of the 11 teams that are 3-1 or better, only 4 (5 if you count Indy) have a go to guy at this point in the season.

                You know as well as I do you can't go stricktly by number of catches.

                Cinci has their guy for now in Ocho Cinco

                Wayne is the go to guy in Indy and that shows when they need a big play in the passing game.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • ATENEARSA ATENEARS

                  I just keep thinking that Robiskie is just too slow. If the guy was a late rounder, or undrafted free agent it wouldn't matter, but I hated using a #2 on him.

                  I hope the hell that I am wrong.

                  I don't see him being crafty like Joe J., I seem to remember him running long, slow, drawn-out fly patterns at OSU where the offense had 7-seconds to wait for the play to form.

                  WPB Dawg Fan W
                  • 1k Posts
                  • 0 Reputation
                  W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @atenears said:

                  I just keep thinking that Robiskie is just too slow. If the guy was a late rounder, or undrafted free agent it wouldn't matter, but I hated using a #2 on him.

                  I hope the hell that I am wrong.

                  I don't see him being crafty like Joe J., I seem to remember him running long, slow, drawn-out fly patterns at OSU where the offense had 7-seconds to wait for the play to form.

                  Heyward-Bey, Darrius 4.30

                  Wallace, Mike 4.33

                  Knox, Johnny 4.34

                  Butler, Deon 4.38

                  Thomas, Mike 4.40

                  Harvin, Percy 4.41

                  Underwood, Tiquan 4.41

                  Byrd, Demetrius 4.42

                  Murphy, Louis 4.43

                  McKinley, Kenny 4.44

                  Ogletree, Kevin 4.46

                  Edison, Dominique 4.47

                  Maclin, Jeremy 4.48

                  Mitchell, Marko 4.49

                  Sargeant, Lydell 4.50

                  Johnson, Taurus 4.52

                  Means, Andrew 4.52

                  Kelly, Aaron 4.53

                  Iglesias, Juaquin 4.54

                  Britt, Kenny 4.56

                  Cosby, Quan 4.57

                  Dillard, Jarett 4.57

                  Hartline, Brian 4.58

                  Passmore, Darius 4.59

                  Robiskie, Brian 4.59

                  Stroughter, Sammie 4.59

                  Norwood, Jordan 4.62

                  Collie, Austin 4.63

                  Nicks, Hakeem 4.63

                  Massaquoi, Mohamed 4.66

                  Richmond, David 4.66

                  Barden, Ramses 4.68

                  Williams, Derrick 4.68

                  Childs, Jeremy 4.69

                  Swift, Nate 4.70

                  Williams, Jaison 4.72

                  Orton, Greg 4.75

                  Just sayin....

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • WPB Dawg Fan W
                    • 1k Posts
                    • 0 Reputation
                    W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    Here is that list again, with catches and yards (only with 10 or more receptions)

                    Heyward-Bey, Darrius 4.30

                    Wallace, Mike 4.33 (14, 194)

                    Knox, Johnny 4.34 (14, 190)

                    Butler, Deon 4.38

                    Thomas, Mike 4.40

                    Harvin, Percy 4.41

                    Underwood, Tiquan 4.41

                    Byrd, Demetrius 4.42

                    Murphy, Louis 4.43 (11, 172)

                    McKinley, Kenny 4.44

                    Ogletree, Kevin 4.46

                    Edison, Dominique 4.47

                    Maclin, Jeremy 4.48

                    Mitchell, Marko 4.49

                    Sargeant, Lydell 4.50

                    Johnson, Taurus 4.52

                    Means, Andrew 4.52

                    Kelly, Aaron 4.53

                    Iglesias, Juaquin 4.54

                    Britt, Kenny 4.56 (17, 271)

                    Cosby, Quan 4.57

                    Dillard, Jarett 4.57

                    Hartline, Brian 4.58

                    Passmore, Darius 4.59

                    Robiskie, Brian 4.59

                    Stroughter, Sammie 4.59

                    Norwood, Jordan 4.62

                    Collie, Austin 4.63 (12, 131)

                    Nicks, Hakeem 4.63

                    Massaquoi, Mohamed 4.66 (10, 179)

                    Richmond, David 4.66

                    Barden, Ramses 4.68

                    Williams, Derrick 4.68

                    Childs, Jeremy 4.69

                    Swift, Nate 4.70

                    Williams, Jaison 4.72

                    Orton, Greg 4.75

                    Point is, raw speed does NOT mean you will be successful. 24 of the 29 WR's that posted faster times than MoMass have fewer receptions. So, speed alone is NOT the key....and ROBO still posted a faster time than MoMass (ranked 8th in rookie receptions)

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • PlaygroundLegend PlaygroundLegendP
                      • 927 Posts
                      • 4 Reputation
                      PlaygroundLegendP PlaygroundLegend wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      Dude, your numbers are off

                      I have multiple sources saying Robiskie Runs a 4.47, the fastest he's ever ran, a 4.37, and the slowest a 4.61

                      He has inconsistent speed, but he's FAST

                      http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...9&genpos=WR

                      http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile...rospect_id=1625

                      http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...ne_insider.html

                      http://www.bostonscore.tv/draft-central/br...e/10021547.html

                      Everyone has him between 4.46 and 4.49

                      W 1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • PlaygroundLegendP PlaygroundLegend

                        Dude, your numbers are off

                        I have multiple sources saying Robiskie Runs a 4.47, the fastest he's ever ran, a 4.37, and the slowest a 4.61

                        He has inconsistent speed, but he's FAST

                        http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...9&genpos=WR

                        http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile...rospect_id=1625

                        http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...ne_insider.html

                        http://www.bostonscore.tv/draft-central/br...e/10021547.html

                        Everyone has him between 4.46 and 4.49

                        WPB Dawg Fan W
                        • 1k Posts
                        • 0 Reputation
                        W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by WPB Dawg Fan
                        #11

                        @playgroundlegend said:

                        Dude, your numbers are off

                        I have multiple sources saying Robiskie Runs a 4.47, the fastest he's ever ran, a 4.37, and the slowest a 4.61

                        He has inconsistent speed, but he's FAST

                        Everyone has him between 4.46 and 4.49

                        Um, those are not MY numbers...they are from the OFFICIAL NFL COMBINE website.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • ATENEARS ATENEARSA Founder In Memoriam
                          • 4k Posts
                          • 139 Reputation
                          ATENEARSA ATENEARS wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          Those 40-times don't mean much to me. I believe Robo ran the best times of his life at the combine.

                          I'm going by what I've seen, and football speed, and the word'crafty' don't fit in unless you use it as "He ain't crafty".

                          I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though and a chance to show us ... it's just my concern going in that he don't have NFL speed or crafty enough to play without the ball. He has great hands though, you can tell his old man must not have screwed him up like our past WR's.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • Solon16 S
                            • 2k Posts
                            • 0 Reputation
                            S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            Heyward-Bey, Darrius 4.30

                            Wallace, Mike 4.33 (14, 194)

                            Knox, Johnny 4.34 (14, 190)

                            Butler, Deon 4.38

                            Thomas, Mike 4.40

                            Harvin, Percy 4.41

                            Underwood, Tiquan 4.41

                            Byrd, Demetrius 4.42

                            Murphy, Louis 4.43 (11, 172)

                            McKinley, Kenny 4.44

                            Ogletree, Kevin 4.46

                            Edison, Dominique 4.47

                            Maclin, Jeremy 4.48

                            Mitchell, Marko 4.49

                            Sargeant, Lydell 4.50

                            Johnson, Taurus 4.52

                            Means, Andrew 4.52

                            Kelly, Aaron 4.53

                            Iglesias, Juaquin 4.54

                            Britt, Kenny 4.56 (17, 271)

                            Cosby, Quan 4.57

                            Dillard, Jarett 4.57

                            Hartline, Brian 4.58

                            Passmore, Darius 4.59

                            Robiskie, Brian 4.59

                            Stroughter, Sammie 4.59

                            Norwood, Jordan 4.62

                            Collie, Austin 4.63 (12, 131)

                            Nicks, Hakeem 4.63

                            Massaquoi, Mohamed 4.66 (10, 179)

                            Richmond, David 4.66

                            Barden, Ramses 4.68

                            Williams, Derrick 4.68

                            Childs, Jeremy 4.69

                            Swift, Nate 4.70

                            Williams, Jaison 4.72

                            Orton, Greg 4.75

                            what It says to me is .....don't take receivers till the third round.....lol

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • ATENEARSA ATENEARS

                              I just keep thinking that Robiskie is just too slow. If the guy was a late rounder, or undrafted free agent it wouldn't matter, but I hated using a #2 on him.

                              I hope the hell that I am wrong.

                              I don't see him being crafty like Joe J., I seem to remember him running long, slow, drawn-out fly patterns at OSU where the offense had 7-seconds to wait for the play to form.

                              BrownsKidd BrownsKiddB Very Popular Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                              • 1k Posts
                              • 102 Reputation
                              BrownsKiddB BrownsKidd wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @atenears said:

                              I just keep thinking that Robiskie is just too slow. If the guy was a late rounder, or undrafted free agent it wouldn't matter, but I hated using a #2 on him.

                              I hope the hell that I am wrong.

                              I don't see him being crafty like Joe J., I seem to remember him running long, slow, drawn-out fly patterns at OSU where the offense had 7-seconds to wait for the play to form.

                              Maybe he will turn into another Brian Brennan.... I always remember him coming in on 3rd down and always coming up with the clutch catch, never dropping anything, and never wore gloves...

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • c-dawg ?
                                • Posts
                                • 0 Reputation
                                ? c-dawg wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                I don't think any of the other guys on the 40 list that was shared had a dad as a NFL wide receivers coach either. He has to be craftier than most of them by osmosis alone

                                Then why has he not played? Hell, I'm not Mangini, ask him.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply

                                Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                Register Login
                                Reply
                                • Reply as topic
                                Log in to reply
                                • Oldest to Newest
                                • Newest to Oldest
                                • Most Votes


                                Theme
                                • System
                                • Light
                                • Dark
                                The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                • First post
                                  Last post
                                0
                                • Forums
                                • Recent
                                • Popular
                                • Users
                                • Donate