Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. College Football Forum
  3. Dennis, how do you explain this?

Dennis, how do you explain this?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved College Football Forum
8 Posts 3 Posters 957 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • heckofajobbrownie H
    • 6k Posts
    • 47 Reputation
    H heckofajobbrownie wrote on last edited by
    #1

    WTF?

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • dencyguy D
      • 481 Posts
      • 0 Reputation
      D dencyguy wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I haven't seen that one. Nice to see Woolridge doing something other than not playing defense.

      The Eric Berry for Heisman thing has been pretty popular down here since last year. I was hoping that he would at least get invited to New York this year--God forbid the voters recognize a defensive player (I mean, Sportscenter usually shows highlights of QBs, so you can't expect them to waste their time watching anything else). It was pretty popular early this year, but as the season has gone on it's slipped quite a bit--teams don't throw his way, Kiffin doesn't use him on offense (a smart move, IMO), and he does a lot of un-sexy things like making special teams tackles and stopping the run. That said, he's still the man, and I'd still love to see him trade in the orange jersey for an orange helmet next year.

      Dennis

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • heckofajobbrownie H
        • 6k Posts
        • 47 Reputation
        H heckofajobbrownie wrote on last edited by
        #3

        I was talking to Alo about it, and here's how I'd put the top ten college prospects since 2001:

        1. Calvin Johnson

        2. Adrian Peterson

        3. Eric Berry

        4. Julius Peppers

        5. Larry Fitzgerald

        6. Andre Johnson

        7. Reggie Bush

        8. Eli Manning

        9. Joe Thomas

        10. Patrick Willis

        That's how good I think Berry is.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • dencyguy D
          • 481 Posts
          • 0 Reputation
          D dencyguy wrote on last edited by
          #4

          You know, just yesterday I was going to do a post about how I think he's off this year, and not just because his numbers are down--like a lot of UT defenders, there have been times when Berry has gone for the knockout hit instead of wrapping up, has taken the wrong angle, etc. Part of that is being in a new defensive system, but I was going to say that he needs to focus more.

          And then he goes out today and shows me I'm a Retard. Admittedly I'm not as old as other people on the board, and I didn't grow up going to the Horseshoe--but I don't think I would say this differently--Eric Berry is the best player I've ever seen, at least in person. Obviously we've seen great players on televsion, but there's just something about the kid. He's (usually) fundamentally sound, but he's also got a couple of other gears most players just don't have. Today he was making tackles all over the place on defense and special teams, throwing his body around with abandon, and he topped the game off with a sweet fumble recovery out of midair and an almost 50-yard return. It's not uncommon to hear chants of "Eric Berry" in Neyland--in fact, it happens at least four or five times a game. After his fumble recovery pretty much ripped Georgia's heart out, the fans chanted two more things. The first was "Heisman," and when people realized that probably isn't going to happen, they started "One more year." Sadly, that probably won't happen either.

          Alright, I'm going back on what I said on the other board, that even if Berry is still available in the draft, the team should go QB. Screw that. If Berry's still on the board and the Browns are two picks away, I want them to trade both Quinn and DA to move up and take him. In terms of his position, he's a once-a-generation type player.

          Dennis

          Incidentally, he also did a pretty good job in man coverage on A.J. Green today--no mean feat for a safety.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 9k Posts
            • 2k Reputation
            ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
            #5

            Once in a generation??

            Maybe not that good.

            He is as good as Reed, Taylor, and Polomalu. I wouldn't say he is better, or so much better to say he totally waxes what they do.

            I would take him, and command a strong position if someone wanted me to trade him, but we don't been to go nuts here and talk about trading the ranch to get him.

            He is a safety.

            Not to diminish the position or player at all, but good safeties come along more than once a generation and really, how much can a safety do to distinguish himself as such??.

            When you look at positions of impact, safety might rank about 7th...

            In no order, i would say the following position rank higher..

            1. QB

            2. RB

            3. DT

            4. LB

            5. LT

            6. OK...safety and WR might be about the same.

            Now, that said...Berry is a top 2-3 impact player in this draft and if we get a chance to draft him, we should.

            In review i see I left off CB from my positions of impact list...safety and receiver tie for 7th...a Deion Sanders is more important than a Ed Reed.

            Right now I haven't spent a lot of time reviewing the who' who of college football players, but right now, the only guy i might rank ahead of Berry is that big DT from Oklahoma(?).

            If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • dencyguy D
              • 481 Posts
              • 0 Reputation
              D dencyguy wrote on last edited by
              #6

              That's a fair argument. And I was only kidding when I talked about trading both QBs to move up to get him (and after today, I don't think packaging both QBs could possibly be an incentive for anyone to trade with the Browns). If the Browns end up with a shot at drafting Berry--that is, in the top five--are there any of the typical impact position players that have better potential (and fewer question marks) than Berry? How will Bradford's shoulder hold up throughout the year? Will Clausen continue to carry the Irish to the extent that he raises his draft stock that much? Will a top notch RB emerge?

              There are also a lot of quality defensive players, but if the team decides to go defense, I would go with Berry over a DT or LB.

              Dennis

              ballpeenB 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • heckofajobbrownie H
                • 6k Posts
                • 47 Reputation
                H heckofajobbrownie wrote on last edited by
                #7

                That INT was insane.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • D dencyguy

                  That's a fair argument. And I was only kidding when I talked about trading both QBs to move up to get him (and after today, I don't think packaging both QBs could possibly be an incentive for anyone to trade with the Browns). If the Browns end up with a shot at drafting Berry--that is, in the top five--are there any of the typical impact position players that have better potential (and fewer question marks) than Berry? How will Bradford's shoulder hold up throughout the year? Will Clausen continue to carry the Irish to the extent that he raises his draft stock that much? Will a top notch RB emerge?

                  There are also a lot of quality defensive players, but if the team decides to go defense, I would go with Berry over a DT or LB.

                  Dennis

                  ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 9k Posts
                  • 2k Reputation
                  ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @dencyguy said:

                  That's a fair argument. And I was only kidding when I talked about trading both QBs to move up to get him (and after today, I don't think packaging both QBs could possibly be an incentive for anyone to trade with the Browns). If the Browns end up with a shot at drafting Berry--that is, in the top five--are there any of the typical impact position players that have better potential (and fewer question marks) than Berry? How will Bradford's shoulder hold up throughout the year? Will Clausen continue to carry the Irish to the extent that he raises his draft stock that much? Will a top notch RB emerge?

                  There are also a lot of quality defensive players, but if the team decides to go defense, I would go with Berry over a DT or LB.

                  Dennis

                  I agree except for maybe SU...Neb....not Ok player.

                  In the end..I take Berry and then count the number of pro bowls he makes....be interesting to see if he makes 9 or 10.

                  If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply

                  Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                  Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                  With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                  Register Login
                  Reply
                  • Reply as topic
                  Log in to reply
                  • Oldest to Newest
                  • Newest to Oldest
                  • Most Votes


                  Theme
                  • System
                  • Light
                  • Dark
                  The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                  The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                  • First post
                    Last post
                  0
                  • Forums
                  • Recent
                  • Popular
                  • Users
                  • Donate