Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Cleveland, we have a problem.

Cleveland, we have a problem.

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
14 Posts 14 Posters 1.7k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • .mz .
    • 120 Posts
    • 0 Reputation
    . .mz wrote on last edited by .mz
    #1

    I've recently been kicking around (in my head), the notion of Derek Anderson playing well this season, thus negating the need to draft ANOTHER QB with a top 5 pick and securing me one of my prized defenders.. And it sounds fine and dandy, right? Nope, it doesn't. It causes an huge problem because it can't happen.

    I want to select a defender (Berry, Suh, Mays, McCoy whatever) at the top of next year's draft, instead of one of these shiteating QB's (Bradford, Claussen, C McCoy etc.). I'm guessing the only way we avoid talking a QB high is if DA plays well enough to show Mangini he can be the future of this franchise (I know...). That way, we'll have our QB and be free to take one of these stud defenders. Great! Well, kinda.

    If DA plays well, we'll probably win some games, thus taking us out of contention for Suh, Berry, McCoy, etc, and if he doesn't play well, we'll probably lose a shit-ton of games and pick up where I wanna pick, but we'll be tempted to take the stupid QB instead because we won't have one.

    FCUK!!! We just can't catch a break.

    Damned if you do, DA, and damned if you don't.

    C 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • cambridgeho cambridgehoC Very Popular Reacting Well Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
      • 2k Posts
      • 139 Reputation
      cambridgehoC cambridgeho wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I bet we trade out of the top 5 , just like we did last year. a team is really going to want a QB after Mcshay and Co. build them all up. Mangini seems to like gathering draft picks. We know for sure that we wont be drafting a WR in the second rd, or will we. I know we will have a bit of cash to spend since we have gotten rid of BE and K2, so Free Agency will be a place we take a look. We will spend big on at least one player, and i hope its our own D. Jackson.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • PlaygroundLegend PlaygroundLegendP
        • 927 Posts
        • 4 Reputation
        PlaygroundLegendP PlaygroundLegend wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Quinn can always come around and start improving, growing as a QB and playing well

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • Bob806 Bob806B Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 5k Posts
          • 2k Reputation
          Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Agreed, we NEED defense.

          I wanted defense last draft, didn't happen. The QB situation has been beat to death on this board, but I think all of us agree that our "D" needs to get meaner, faster, & knock the opposition on it's ass.

          Drafting a QB will not make an immediate impact.

          Let's see what happens this week vs. Buffalo...if DA plays well, we should be able to handle the Bills (I hope I don't have to be drug-tested at work for writing that) 😕 Call me crazy, but I think this game is very winnable.

          Karlis Missed
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • bestplayer52 B
            • 71 Posts
            • 0 Reputation
            B bestplayer52 wrote on last edited by
            #5

            Ohio football has become a joke. Move the Hall of Fame.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • cmac12 C
              • 267 Posts
              • 0 Reputation
              C cmac12 wrote on last edited by
              #6

              I agree with drafting defense and line help. I don't think that DA is the long term answer, I am just hoping he is the answer for the next few years while the team builds through the draft. After a team is in place then can worry about a franchise QB.

              S 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Flugel FlugelF Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 11k Posts
                • 6k Reputation
                FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
                #7

                Zombo said:

                DA could play well.

                DA could get injured and Brady Quinn could play well.

                Maybe there is an interesting free agent QB next year?

                Three months of football, or more, left, not going to worry about it now. But obviously I've got a little more faith in DA then most. If that kid starts to "get it" on a permanent basis ... he has franchise QB potential.

                I'm sure saying things like that pisses off most (for some reason) but I think DA has a shot to be "the man".

                Zombo

                Good stuff Zombo! Let's SEE what takes place from here on out. The GOOD thing I see is there are 3 very promising young WRs (Stuckey, MoMass & Robiskie) that don't seem to be DIVAS. More specifically, they're all excited to be in the NFL and want to get better. That usually translates to approachable and coachable on the practice field, which SHOULD be a refreshing thing for our starting QB to be working with.

                Bill Parcells said it best about finding a franchise QB when he was in Dallas: "Just because I'm constantly told we need a franchise QB doesn't mean there's a tree limb with one available just for us at this time. Doesn't work that way folks." He also went onto say he had guys he could win with if everyone on the team took care of their own jobs and all the little things that add up to victory.

                I posted the thread about Colt McCoy during the long depressing week before last week's game. I didn't do that because I want our offense going back to baby diapers for the umpteenth time - I sort of did it out of frustration when it looked like we might be heading toward the pick of the litter. I've always been a RB guy since Greg Pruitt turned me on to this team so I'd like that home run threat from anywhere on the field especially in tight ball games.

                After seeing DA last Sunday, I was pleasantly surprised at how the entire team elevated their game. When that happens, it usually means the QB is doing a pretty good job. Perhaps even better is the reality that we weren't looking at anything close to the worst team in football on game day for the first time all season. Suddenly our line could block, a RB went over 100 yards, a receiver went over a 100 yards, time of possession in the last 3 quarters was clearly dominated by us, Cribbs gave us ideal field position, defenders were tackling people and Wimbley logged his 3rd sack of the season. This team got plugged in like a set of Christmas lights and it put me in a much better mood.

                We're suddenly a YOUNG offense when I see names like: Harrison, Vickers, Robiskie, Stucky, MoMass, Royal, Thomas, Mack, etc. The chemisty and continuity should only get better with every week if we have the right coaching staff and veteran leadership governing this team. It sure would be nice to see these guys get their first W this week.

                - Tom F.

                I welcome the only Defensive Coordinator to earn a Superbowl Ring in New Orleans while understanding Revenge of the Nerds is a sequel. "Come get some!"
                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 9k Posts
                  • 2k Reputation
                  ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @.mz said:

                  True, but he won't.

                  You did, however, give me another shitty scenario to consider: we get that top pick and trade down again. Ugh.

                  I am kind of with you there...I wouldn't mind a trade down if it wasn't more that maybe 5-6 slots tops, and I wouldn't sell cheap to give up a guy like Berry.

                  We would have to swap 1st's, get a 2nd, and a first the following year.

                  The days of draft day rapes, I mean trades, has to end.

                  If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • . .mz

                    I've recently been kicking around (in my head), the notion of Derek Anderson playing well this season, thus negating the need to draft ANOTHER QB with a top 5 pick and securing me one of my prized defenders.. And it sounds fine and dandy, right? Nope, it doesn't. It causes an huge problem because it can't happen.

                    I want to select a defender (Berry, Suh, Mays, McCoy whatever) at the top of next year's draft, instead of one of these shiteating QB's (Bradford, Claussen, C McCoy etc.). I'm guessing the only way we avoid talking a QB high is if DA plays well enough to show Mangini he can be the future of this franchise (I know...). That way, we'll have our QB and be free to take one of these stud defenders. Great! Well, kinda.

                    If DA plays well, we'll probably win some games, thus taking us out of contention for Suh, Berry, McCoy, etc, and if he doesn't play well, we'll probably lose a shit-ton of games and pick up where I wanna pick, but we'll be tempted to take the stupid QB instead because we won't have one.

                    FCUK!!! We just can't catch a break.

                    Damned if you do, DA, and damned if you don't.

                    Chip Banks C
                    • 260 Posts
                    • 0 Reputation
                    C Chip Banks wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @.mz said:

                    I've recently been kicking around (in my head), the notion of Derek Anderson playing well this season, thus negating the need to draft ANOTHER QB with a top 5 pick and securing me one of my prized defenders.. And it sounds fine and dandy, right? Nope, it doesn't. It causes an huge problem because it can't happen.

                    I want to select a defender (Berry, Suh, Mays, McCoy whatever) at the top of next year's draft, instead of one of these shiteating QB's (Bradford, Claussen, C McCoy etc.). I'm guessing the only way we avoid talking a QB high is if DA plays well enough to show Mangini he can be the future of this franchise (I know...). That way, we'll have our QB and be free to take one of these stud defenders. Great! Well, kinda.

                    If DA plays well, we'll probably win some games, thus taking us out of contention for Suh, Berry, McCoy, etc, and if he doesn't play well, we'll probably lose a shit-ton of games and pick up where I wanna pick, but we'll be tempted to take the stupid QB instead because we won't have one.

                    FCUK!!! We just can't catch a break.

                    Damned if you do, DA, and damned if you don't.

                    No matter how well the Anderson plays, the Browns will have a top 12 pick and a boat load of picks to bargain with. This is going to be a crucial draft that is supposed to be deep.

                    I really don't think We'll draft a QB with our first pick. I'm looking at a free agent if Anderson or Quinn haven't earned Mangini's trust. Clemens becomes a FA. FOr the draft? Tackles and Backers and Corners.

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • medicineman medicinemanM
                      • 2k Posts
                      • 185 Reputation
                      medicinemanM medicineman wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      I think Braylon Edwards is a free agent after this season, mabey we could sign him. I hear he is pretty good!

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
                        • 64k Posts
                        • 8k Reputation
                        C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        I am starting to think about trading Quinn to the Jets for Kolb, their soon? to be 3rd string qb,

                        and a third round pick.

                        Kolb threw for two 300 yd games before apparently being demoted? what? because they want to activate Vick?

                        DA has Testeverdeitis - great arm, permanently bad judgement occasionally.

                        Wait, make that an occasional stage fright under pressure and throwing int's...

                        which is permanent.

                        Wait, make that... oh, never mind.

                        I'm just looking for a big win this weekend.

                        Mark OM 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • C calfoxwc

                          I am starting to think about trading Quinn to the Jets for Kolb, their soon? to be 3rd string qb,

                          and a third round pick.

                          Kolb threw for two 300 yd games before apparently being demoted? what? because they want to activate Vick?

                          DA has Testeverdeitis - great arm, permanently bad judgement occasionally.

                          Wait, make that an occasional stage fright under pressure and throwing int's...

                          which is permanent.

                          Wait, make that... oh, never mind.

                          I'm just looking for a big win this weekend.

                          Mark O Mark OM Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 6k Posts
                          • 1k Reputation
                          Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @calfoxwc said:

                          I am starting to think about trading Quinn to the Jets for Kolb, their soon? to be 3rd string qb,

                          and a third round pick.

                          Kolb threw for two 300 yd games before apparently being demoted? what? because they want to activate Vick?

                          DA has Testeverdeitis - great arm, permanently bad judgement occasionally.

                          Wait, make that an occasional stage fright under pressure and throwing int's...

                          which is permanent.

                          Wait, make that... oh, never mind.

                          I'm just looking for a big win this weekend.

                          Great theory Cal..

                          However, we would need the Eagles to trade Kolb to the Jets in order for us to trade Quinn to the Jets.

                          I don't think the Eagles would want Quinn, they already have Kolb to take over when McNabb goes down.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • C cmac12

                            I agree with drafting defense and line help. I don't think that DA is the long term answer, I am just hoping he is the answer for the next few years while the team builds through the draft. After a team is in place then can worry about a franchise QB.

                            Solon16 S
                            • 2k Posts
                            • 0 Reputation
                            S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @cmac12 said:

                            I agree with drafting defense and line help. I don't think that DA is the long term answer, I am just hoping he is the answer for the next few years while the team builds through the draft. After a team is in place then can worry about a franchise QB.

                            so you honestly think if we get better and start winning games we will be able to draft a Franchise qb in with a pick around 15? or are you further assuming we will trade a ton of draft picks and move up and get one? If you keep Anderson for the next few years...this will be the exact time to take a QB because we will have a top 5 pick!

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • Adz1987 A
                              • 98 Posts
                              • 0 Reputation
                              A Adz1987 wrote on last edited by Adz1987
                              #14

                              If you look at it another way, we have 3 unproven QB's. Although DA has had some work, we still don't know his potential, and we know even less about Quinn and Ratliff respectively. I figure Mangini will give it at least another year to test the waters with all those guys. If worse comes to worse and none of these work out next year, then he can look into picking up a FA QB in the middle of next season and then picking up a rook QB in 2011.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply

                              Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                              Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                              With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                              Register Login
                              Reply
                              • Reply as topic
                              Log in to reply
                              • Oldest to Newest
                              • Newest to Oldest
                              • Most Votes


                              Theme
                              • System
                              • Light
                              • Dark
                              The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                              The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                              • First post
                                Last post
                              0
                              • Forums
                              • Recent
                              • Popular
                              • Users
                              • Donate