Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Dre Bly

Dre Bly

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
8 Posts 4 Posters 856 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Planet 0range P
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Reputation
    P Planet 0range wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Dry Bly apologized to the media today for showboating and fumbling the ball after an interception against Atlanta.

    I have never seen anything like this before.

    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...nunktQD9B9QKH00

    "Dre' Bly apologizes for showing off

    By JANIE McCAULEY (AP) – 22 minutes ago

    SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Dre' Bly took Mike Singletary's usual spot at the podium in a team meeting room and apologized. Profusely. His coach watched the whole thing.

    Bly embarrassed himself and the 49ers during Sunday's 45-10 home loss to the Atlanta Falcons when he intercepted a pass by Matt Ryan in the third quarter and struck a Deion Sanders-like pose with his right hand to his helmet and the ball unprotected in his left. Problem was, Roddy White knocked the ball loose and Atlanta, leading 35-10 at the time, recovered. The Falcons marched downfield and quickly scored again.

    Bly said he approached Singletary on Monday morning to apologize for the display, which also included him saying after the game that he'd done nothing wrong because "Dre's going to be Dre'." He said he's always had his antics after making plays, so why change now?

    "I want to publicly apologize for yesterday. My comments were totally inappropriate. I apologized to coach, I'm not a selfish guy," Bly said Monday. "I didn't mean to embarrass him if I did, embarrass my team, embarrass the ownership, embarrass the fans. I'm a prideful guy. I like to have fun. I got caught up in the moment and it was wrong."

    Singletary said he would not discipline Bly, an 11th-year veteran and two-time Pro Bowler in his first season with San Francisco, because he didn't see Bly's stunt live and would have opted to deal with it then but not a day later. In Singletary's debut taking over for the fired Mike Nolan last October against Seattle that Singletary sent tight end Vernon Davis to the showers in the fourth quarter for his behavior following a personal foul penalty.

    Singletary said that Bly's approaching him went a long way to mend the situation, the coach said. Singletary was planning to meet with Bly anyway before Bly made it happen first.

    "To me, it's done," Singletary said.

    What made Bly's mistake more glaring was that it came in the 49ers' worst home loss in 42 years since a game at Kezar Stadium in 1967 — and their worst ever at Candlestick Park.

    Bly was set to address his teammates later Monday.

    "Dre' is going to apologize to everybody in the building practically," Singletary said.

    His teammates hadn't lost faith in Bly, who was ready for a fresh start after facing his share of criticism last season with the Denver Broncos. He made two interceptions in 2008, matching the lowest total of his career — the first time the 32-year-old was held to two since his fourth NFL season with St. Louis in 2002.

    "He's a high-character guy," quarterback Shaun Hill said. "We have a lot of high-character guys in this locker room. People stand up for their mistakes. That's a good thing. Just guys being accountable. It's not something I expect somebody to do (apologize to the team). It speaks to the character he has."

    Bly insists his style is to have fun and exhibit energy — though this sure looked like showboating.

    "Normally, when I've intercepted passes like that, in between me and the end zone, I've scored," Bly said. "And that's what I was thinking. As a defensive back, me being who I've been my whole life, that's the energy I bring to the field. My comment saying 'Dre's going to be Dre" was meaning I'm going to have fun. You know, when I play the game, I play with enthusiasm, I play with excitement. I like to try to be that guy that's getting the fans motivated. That's who I've always been."

    Singletary said that's going to have to change for Bly. At least he's going to have to keep himself in check if he wants to play at all.

    "I'll put it this way: I don't think that's fun. OK?" Singletary said. "It was not fun at 35-10. Fun is when you're ahead and you may get an interception and hey that's great. That's fun. But you're not having fun when you're behind 35-10 and that's a little something that he and I have to clean up.""

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • razor1414 razor1414R
      • 242 Posts
      • 0 Reputation
      razor1414R razor1414 wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Singletary is earning these guys respect whereas mangini is trying to make them respect him. I like Mike

      C E 2 Replies Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • razor1414R razor1414

        Singletary is earning these guys respect whereas mangini is trying to make them respect him. I like Mike

        car ramrod C
        • 363 Posts
        • 0 Reputation
        C car ramrod wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @razor1414 said:

        Singletary is earning these guys respect whereas mangini is trying to make them respect him. I like Mike

        Oh here we go again with the Mangini talk. Do you think we can also talk about how bad DA and Quinn are please.

        BTW, I seriously would not be surprised if Mike actually killed one of his players one day. I respect the hell out of him but would not surprised if that happend.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • razor1414R razor1414

          Singletary is earning these guys respect whereas mangini is trying to make them respect him. I like Mike

          Earl34 E
          • 1k Posts
          • 11 Reputation
          E Earl34 wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @razor1414 said:

          Singletary is earning these guys respect whereas mangini is trying to make them respect him. I like Mike

          help me out here? how did Singletary EARN anyone's respect? He's the coach. He told him to apologize...which he did.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • razor1414 razor1414R
            • 242 Posts
            • 0 Reputation
            razor1414R razor1414 wrote on last edited by
            #5

            im not saying mangini is a bad coach. from all the reports it just seems that this is his way.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • razor1414 razor1414R
              • 242 Posts
              • 0 Reputation
              razor1414R razor1414 wrote on last edited by razor1414
              #6

              have you ever played a sport? I have and have had both kinds of coaches. the ones that learn the game from watching and the ones from doing. I always dug a hell off a lot deeper for the ones who were actually in the trenches at some point.

              division 3 dosent count. my little sister plays D3

              E 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • razor1414R razor1414

                have you ever played a sport? I have and have had both kinds of coaches. the ones that learn the game from watching and the ones from doing. I always dug a hell off a lot deeper for the ones who were actually in the trenches at some point.

                division 3 dosent count. my little sister plays D3

                Earl34 E
                • 1k Posts
                • 11 Reputation
                E Earl34 wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @razor1414 said:

                have you ever played a sport? I have and have had both kinds of coaches. the ones that learn the game from watching and the ones from doing. I always dug a hell off a lot deeper for the ones who were actually in the trenches at some point.

                division 3 dosent count. my little sister plays D3

                A fair enough point but my best coach was a guy who "never played the game". I played on a bum leg through HS until they took me off kicking and screaming. Division III should count. Mike Smith (East Tenn, I-AA), Tony Sparano (U of New Haven), Josh McDaniels (John Carroll U), Mike McCarthy (Baker U), Bill Belichick (Wesleyan....same alma mater as Mangini) all have HC jobs and didn't play D1 or anything close.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • razor1414 razor1414R
                  • 242 Posts
                  • 0 Reputation
                  razor1414R razor1414 wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  they are all good coaches but this has nothing to do with thier coaching ability its about respect. thses guys are earning the teams respect by winning games. something mangini has not really done yet. but you do make a valid arguement.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply

                  Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                  Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                  With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                  Register Login
                  Reply
                  • Reply as topic
                  Log in to reply
                  • Oldest to Newest
                  • Newest to Oldest
                  • Most Votes


                  Theme
                  • System
                  • Light
                  • Dark
                  The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                  The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                  • First post
                    Last post
                  0
                  • Forums
                  • Recent
                  • Popular
                  • Users
                  • Donate