Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Joe Thomas Interview

Joe Thomas Interview

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
17 Posts 14 Posters 1.9k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Earl34 E
    • 1k Posts
    • 11 Reputation
    E Earl34 wrote on last edited by
    #1

    He was on "Moving the Chains". They discussed...

    1) Deer Hunting. He likes to deer hunt on Tuesdays late in the year after work. They laughed about Tuesdays not being good for deer

    2) The first win. Obviously, a monkey off of their backs. The feeling of winning is important

    3) Coach Mangini. He's not the guy that the media and public perceive at all. He hasn't gotten "soft" but rather they are "working smarter" the last two or three weeks (this was in reference to the going without pads on Thursdays etc). He feels that things have been more "player friendly" for a few weeks now and that has had a positive effect. He and the hosts agreed that Mangini gets a really bad rap because guys just weren't making plays. He said something to the effect of guys were put in positions to make plays and they didn't. Now, they're starting to come together within their system. (Something like that).

    4) Derek Anderson. He says that it was a very tough situation to come in during the second half of the Baltimore game. He said that DA does give us a good chance to win and that the guys in the huddle believe in his ability to get them the ball and move the team.

    5) Jamal Lewis. The offensive line has started to gel. It's the first time in 20 years that Cleveland has had back-to-back 100-yard games by two different backs.

    6) Alex Mack. He really heaped a ton of praise on the rookie. He's "done a great job" and "he's very smart and plays with great pad level. He learns very fast...he's not a rookie anymore".

    7) Playing against a 2-gapper like Keisel: P'burgh's front seven make it very hard to "cut the defense in half". They can't easily cut off the pursuit and create cutbacks for the runners.

    😎 Why they didn't go to Jerome Harrison more in Buffalo. Jamal had the "hot hand" and the goal was to "pound the defense" and maximizing YAC.

    9) James Harrison. A very hard guy to block. He's a "sack/fumble master" who really shortens the corner. He isn't a trash talker. He's actually pretty quiet but he's very intense. They talked a little bit about how a LT recovers if they feel Harrison has gained position and leverage on him. Joe said that you quickly have to reposition your hands to reestablish yourself under his pads. It all happens very quickly.

    10) The hosts then said "Gee Joe, it sounds in the media like Cleveland has some 'Temple of Doom' aura going on but you sound really upbeat. Tell us about it...". Joe then talked about how the team has really responded positively to the Cincy game feeling like they came out and played a far better game than they'd played the previous three weeks. Everyone has felt very upbeat.

    He went on to talk about how important the Pittsburgh game is to Cleveland fans since it's a natural rivalry. He said that they all understand what it means to the fans. That was about it. I tried to take notes as fast as I could.

    All in all, sounded very positive.

    B 1 Reply Last reply
    ❤
    Quote Reply
    • car ramrod C
      • 363 Posts
      • 0 Reputation
      C car ramrod wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Good stuff Earl. You the man.

      *THANKS*

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Gips GipsG
        • 3k Posts
        • 34 Reputation
        GipsG Gips wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Great read indeed!

        Thanks Earl...😉

        We have been rebuilding since 1964, Why stop now? GO BROWNS!
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • halfsane halfsaneH
          • 696 Posts
          • 49 Reputation
          halfsaneH halfsane wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Thomas is a beast!

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • calfoxwc C Dedicated Very Popular Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Reacting Well Week One Done One Year In One Month Later
            • 64k Posts
            • 8k Reputation
            C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
            #5

            Thomas AND Mack are beasts.

            The difference is immense for the offense... I'm still intrigued with the difference Fraley made at RG...

            Nice post, Earl !

            E 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • Rooster Dick Rooster DickR
              • 411 Posts
              • 12 Reputation
              Rooster DickR Rooster Dick wrote on last edited by
              #6

              Pretty dumb to bump a thread by a ThANKS but it's the only way to do it.....

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 9k Posts
                • 2k Reputation
                ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
                #7

                Joe is a great guy, great player, and the best pick we have made in a long, long time.

                If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                S 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • ballpeenB ballpeen

                  Joe is a great guy, great player, and the best pick we have made in a long, long time.

                  Squintz S
                  • 508 Posts
                  • 5 Reputation
                  S Squintz wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @ballpeen said:

                  Joe is a great guy, great player, and the best pick we have made in a long, long time.

                  Agreed. He is a Browns football player. That's why even though they had to pass on AP to get him, I'd do it again.

                  In this town in this situation, you have to take guys like this. The team can't take guys like Braylon and K2 and expect them to perform and want to stay in Cleveland. It's become a different time and age where we need football players that will pour their heart into this place, not just use it as a placeholder until they get to their contract year.

                  That's the biggest problem with the NFL and the $$$ these guys are making. They know they can simply ride it out and collect a payday in a city with more 'glitz'.

                  I'm glad JT is here. And Mack too.

                  CHANGE IS GOOD
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • buster busterB Reacting Well Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 154 Posts
                    • 15 Reputation
                    busterB buster wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    Thanks for the synopsis........Thomas is definately one of the Browns best......

                    ______________________________ #1 Dad 30-40 Something chat- click here
                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • C calfoxwc

                      Thomas AND Mack are beasts.

                      The difference is immense for the offense... I'm still intrigued with the difference Fraley made at RG...

                      Nice post, Earl !

                      Earl34 E
                      • 1k Posts
                      • 11 Reputation
                      E Earl34 wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @calfoxwc said:

                      Thomas AND Mack are beasts.

                      The difference is immense for the offense... I'm still intrigued with the difference Fraley made at RG...

                      Nice post, Earl !

                      I was hoping that Fraley would move to RG all along and it seems like it's helped. A veteran guy who's called the calls that Mack has to make right next to him....it's like having a coach on the field.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      ❤
                      Quote Reply
                      • kshutchins K
                        • 951 Posts
                        • 19 Reputation
                        K kshutchins wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        Thanks. This is the kind of stuff I like to hear about. It's nice to hear from the players.

                        Woof Woof, Kathy http://cognitivemanifesto.com/ http://www.skadden.com/index.cfm?contentID=49&officeID=9 Bendix ESP
                        ? 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • K kshutchins

                          Thanks. This is the kind of stuff I like to hear about. It's nice to hear from the players.

                          CardDawg ?
                          • Posts
                          • 0 Reputation
                          ? CardDawg wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @kshutchins said:

                          Thanks. This is the kind of stuff I like to hear about. It's nice to hear from the players.
                          I agree Kshutchins. I can see why people stop and rubber-neck at a traffic accident because most times it ain't something you see everyday. Not sure how the News got to be just mostly negative reporting, but it is. However, why do good clean positive stories about ones favorite sports team seem to be yawners and the negative stuff that we are surrounded by everyday still sells?

                          I am really starting to love our O-line. I see this team being built right.

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • kshutchins K
                            • 951 Posts
                            • 19 Reputation
                            K kshutchins wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            I wish I knew more about how an O-line is supposed to work. Those of you who have actually played football have an advantage. I keep wishing for "How to Watch a Football Game" on DVD but no luck. You'd think they'd take the same technology that gives us Madden Football on Playstation and give us fans an education.... or maybe give PLAYERS an education.

                            I can get a sense of general improvement when i watch a game but I can't pick out the individual players who aren't doing their jobs.

                            Woof Woof, Kathy http://cognitivemanifesto.com/ http://www.skadden.com/index.cfm?contentID=49&officeID=9 Bendix ESP
                            ATENEARSA 1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • E Earl34

                              He was on "Moving the Chains". They discussed...

                              1) Deer Hunting. He likes to deer hunt on Tuesdays late in the year after work. They laughed about Tuesdays not being good for deer

                              2) The first win. Obviously, a monkey off of their backs. The feeling of winning is important

                              3) Coach Mangini. He's not the guy that the media and public perceive at all. He hasn't gotten "soft" but rather they are "working smarter" the last two or three weeks (this was in reference to the going without pads on Thursdays etc). He feels that things have been more "player friendly" for a few weeks now and that has had a positive effect. He and the hosts agreed that Mangini gets a really bad rap because guys just weren't making plays. He said something to the effect of guys were put in positions to make plays and they didn't. Now, they're starting to come together within their system. (Something like that).

                              4) Derek Anderson. He says that it was a very tough situation to come in during the second half of the Baltimore game. He said that DA does give us a good chance to win and that the guys in the huddle believe in his ability to get them the ball and move the team.

                              5) Jamal Lewis. The offensive line has started to gel. It's the first time in 20 years that Cleveland has had back-to-back 100-yard games by two different backs.

                              6) Alex Mack. He really heaped a ton of praise on the rookie. He's "done a great job" and "he's very smart and plays with great pad level. He learns very fast...he's not a rookie anymore".

                              7) Playing against a 2-gapper like Keisel: P'burgh's front seven make it very hard to "cut the defense in half". They can't easily cut off the pursuit and create cutbacks for the runners.

                              😎 Why they didn't go to Jerome Harrison more in Buffalo. Jamal had the "hot hand" and the goal was to "pound the defense" and maximizing YAC.

                              9) James Harrison. A very hard guy to block. He's a "sack/fumble master" who really shortens the corner. He isn't a trash talker. He's actually pretty quiet but he's very intense. They talked a little bit about how a LT recovers if they feel Harrison has gained position and leverage on him. Joe said that you quickly have to reposition your hands to reestablish yourself under his pads. It all happens very quickly.

                              10) The hosts then said "Gee Joe, it sounds in the media like Cleveland has some 'Temple of Doom' aura going on but you sound really upbeat. Tell us about it...". Joe then talked about how the team has really responded positively to the Cincy game feeling like they came out and played a far better game than they'd played the previous three weeks. Everyone has felt very upbeat.

                              He went on to talk about how important the Pittsburgh game is to Cleveland fans since it's a natural rivalry. He said that they all understand what it means to the fans. That was about it. I tried to take notes as fast as I could.

                              All in all, sounded very positive.

                              Brownshirt B
                              • 237 Posts
                              • 1 Reputation
                              B Brownshirt wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @earl34 said:

                              He was on "Moving the Chains". They discussed...

                              1) Deer Hunting. He likes to deer hunt on Tuesdays late in the year after work. They laughed about Tuesdays not being good for deer

                              2) The first win. Obviously, a monkey off of their backs. The feeling of winning is important

                              3) Coach Mangini. He's not the guy that the media and public perceive at all. He hasn't gotten "soft" but rather they are "working smarter" the last two or three weeks (this was in reference to the going without pads on Thursdays etc). He feels that things have been more "player friendly" for a few weeks now and that has had a positive effect. He and the hosts agreed that Mangini gets a really bad rap because guys just weren't making plays. He said something to the effect of guys were put in positions to make plays and they didn't. Now, they're starting to come together within their system. (Something like that).

                              4) Derek Anderson. He says that it was a very tough situation to come in during the second half of the Baltimore game. He said that DA does give us a good chance to win and that the guys in the huddle believe in his ability to get them the ball and move the team.

                              5) Jamal Lewis. The offensive line has started to gel. It's the first time in 20 years that Cleveland has had back-to-back 100-yard games by two different backs.

                              6) Alex Mack. He really heaped a ton of praise on the rookie. He's "done a great job" and "he's very smart and plays with great pad level. He learns very fast...he's not a rookie anymore".

                              7) Playing against a 2-gapper like Keisel: P'burgh's front seven make it very hard to "cut the defense in half". They can't easily cut off the pursuit and create cutbacks for the runners.

                              😎 Why they didn't go to Jerome Harrison more in Buffalo. Jamal had the "hot hand" and the goal was to "pound the defense" and maximizing YAC.

                              9) James Harrison. A very hard guy to block. He's a "sack/fumble master" who really shortens the corner. He isn't a trash talker. He's actually pretty quiet but he's very intense. They talked a little bit about how a LT recovers if they feel Harrison has gained position and leverage on him. Joe said that you quickly have to reposition your hands to reestablish yourself under his pads. It all happens very quickly.

                              10) The hosts then said "Gee Joe, it sounds in the media like Cleveland has some 'Temple of Doom' aura going on but you sound really upbeat. Tell us about it...". Joe then talked about how the team has really responded positively to the Cincy game feeling like they came out and played a far better game than they'd played the previous three weeks. Everyone has felt very upbeat.

                              He went on to talk about how important the Pittsburgh game is to Cleveland fans since it's a natural rivalry. He said that they all understand what it means to the fans. That was about it. I tried to take notes as fast as I could.

                              All in all, sounded very positive.

                              Excellent post. Thanks for taking the time, it was the next best thing to hearing live, great job!

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • K kshutchins

                                I wish I knew more about how an O-line is supposed to work. Those of you who have actually played football have an advantage. I keep wishing for "How to Watch a Football Game" on DVD but no luck. You'd think they'd take the same technology that gives us Madden Football on Playstation and give us fans an education.... or maybe give PLAYERS an education.

                                I can get a sense of general improvement when i watch a game but I can't pick out the individual players who aren't doing their jobs.

                                ATENEARS ATENEARSA Founder In Memoriam
                                • 4k Posts
                                • 139 Reputation
                                ATENEARSA ATENEARS wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                @kshutchins said:

                                I wish I knew more about how an O-line is supposed to work. Those of you who have actually played football have an advantage. I keep wishing for "How to Watch a Football Game" on DVD but no luck. You'd think they'd take the same technology that gives us Madden Football on Playstation and give us fans an education.... or maybe give PLAYERS an education.

                                I can get a sense of general improvement when i watch a game but I can't pick out the individual players who aren't doing their jobs.

                                I noticed on my secretarys desk this week she had a 'Dummies Guide to Football'. She had already left for the day so I didn't get a chance to rib her about it or ask her whst she had learned from it.

                                I picked it up and thumbed through it and found out that an INT is bad ... I no longer like DA.

                                K 1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • GRAVY_insane G
                                  • 87 Posts
                                  • 0 Reputation
                                  G GRAVY_insane wrote on last edited by
                                  #16
                                  Heard the interview myself...I love this kid.
                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • ATENEARSA ATENEARS

                                    @kshutchins said:

                                    I wish I knew more about how an O-line is supposed to work. Those of you who have actually played football have an advantage. I keep wishing for "How to Watch a Football Game" on DVD but no luck. You'd think they'd take the same technology that gives us Madden Football on Playstation and give us fans an education.... or maybe give PLAYERS an education.

                                    I can get a sense of general improvement when i watch a game but I can't pick out the individual players who aren't doing their jobs.

                                    I noticed on my secretarys desk this week she had a 'Dummies Guide to Football'. She had already left for the day so I didn't get a chance to rib her about it or ask her whst she had learned from it.

                                    I picked it up and thumbed through it and found out that an INT is bad ... I no longer like DA.

                                    kshutchins K
                                    • 951 Posts
                                    • 19 Reputation
                                    K kshutchins wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    @atenears said:

                                    I noticed on my secretarys desk this week she had a 'Dummies Guide to Football'. She had already left for the day so I didn't get a chance to rib her about it or ask her whst she had learned from it.

                                    I picked it up and thumbed through it and found out that an INT is bad ... I no longer like DA.

                                    I once read the book "How to Watch a Football Game" and really learned a lot from it. (Last I checked it was out of print.) One thing I learned is that a lot of people don't know what they're talking about. I remember watching one game with a bunch of fans who kept complaining about the 'prevent defense.' Thing is, the team wasn't running a prevent defense.

                                    Back on Prodigy and AOL, I'd initially be impressed by the insight certain posters had. Then I'd read their exact remarks in Sports Illustrated or a direct quote from a sports commentator on tv. Sometimes people who yell the loudest about how right they are really don't have a clue. This probably explains why I let a lot of what I glean from these message boards go in and out of my brain without stopping in the middle.

                                    I remember sitting in a club watching a Browns game with a local Backers group. A big guy we'd never seen before walked in and started watching the game. The crowd became vocal when a play didn't work and stopped just short of throwing things at the tv. The guy took a moment to explain why the play was a good call and should've worked, leaving the complainers with their chins on the floor. Sadly, the new guy left. I love hearing from the folks who REALLY know what they're talking about. Wish there were more of them here.

                                    Woof Woof, Kathy http://cognitivemanifesto.com/ http://www.skadden.com/index.cfm?contentID=49&officeID=9 Bendix ESP
                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply

                                    Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                    Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                    With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                    Register Login
                                    Reply
                                    • Reply as topic
                                    Log in to reply
                                    • Oldest to Newest
                                    • Newest to Oldest
                                    • Most Votes


                                    Theme
                                    • System
                                    • Light
                                    • Dark
                                    The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                    The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                    • First post
                                      Last post
                                    0
                                    • Forums
                                    • Recent
                                    • Popular
                                    • Users
                                    • Donate