Skip to content

Name This Coach

The Browns Board
23 11 2.3k
  • Actually it is more like:

    1991: 6-10

    1992: 7-9

    1993: 7-9

    1994: 11-5

    1995: 5-11

    2000: 5-11

  • Now for his first draft for NE and BB...

    2nd round, 46th overall: Adrian Klemm - 4yrs with NE, only 1 as a starter (G)

    3rd rd, 76th overall: JR Redmond - 3yrs with NE, 0 as starter (RB)

    4th rd, 127th overall: Greg Randall - 3yrs with NE, 1 as starter (T)

    5th rd, 141st overall: Dave Stachelski - 2yrs with NE, 0 as starter (TE)

    5th rd, 161st overall: Jeff Marriott - total bust (DT)

    6th rd, 187nd overall: Antwan Harris - 4yrs with NE, 0 as starter (DB)

    6th rd, 199nd overall: Tom Brady - to discuss later

    6th rd, 201st overall: David Nugent - 2yrs with NE, 0 as starter (DE)

    7th rd, 226th overall: Casey Tisdale - total bust (DE)

    7th rd, 239th overall: Patrick Pass - 7yrs with NE, 0 as starter

    Other than Tom Brady, BB had 9 total picks and only 7 made the team...and only 1 was with the team after 4 years....and he was a ST's guy. As of now, from the 2000 draft, Tom Brady is the ONLY active player in the league. Not great success now was it.

    Now, to discuss the GENIUS of drafting Tom Brady.

    First, he was a THROW IN PICK in the 6th round...in fact he wasn't even the FIRST pick of the 6th round for BB.

    Second, Tom Brady sat out his entire first year behind Bledsoe...and the only reason he got into a game in year 2 was because Bledsoe was bleeding into his lungs....so he was basically passed over by BB then too.

    Third, this is what TB was surrounded by:

    RB: Antowain Smith, 1st rd, 23rd pick

    FB: Marc Edwards, 2nd rd, 55th pick

    WR: Troy Brown, 8 year veteran, pro bowler

    WR: David Patten, yeah, the guy we tried out here

    TE: Rod Ruttlidge, 2nd rd, 54th pick

    LT: Matt Light - 2nd rd, 48th pick

    LG: Mike Compton - 3rd rd, 68th pick

    😄 Damien Woody - 1st rd, 17th pick

    RG: Joe Andruzzi - yeah, again, recent Brown

    RT: Greg Randall - 4th rd, 127th pick

    That was a VERY TALENTED offense young Tom Brady stepped into. He was placed into a PERFECT situation for a young guy to gain his confidence...and it shows by his career.

    I have said it often...the protection and system are as much to credit as Tom Brady (whom I consider a system QB....just look at Cassel for evidence).

    Again, my reason for this is....Mangini has done a HELL of a lot better in THIS draft than BB did back in 2000 (his 6th draft)...and has seen the benefits of surrounding a young QB with talent before deciding to discard him....so, do not count EITHER of our QB's as history just yet.

    RG:

  • @brownb499 said:

    Wow

    I didn't remember us going 11-5

    with Vinny?

    That was the Year The Steelers Beat you 3 Times. Something Like 17-10 , 17-7 and 29-9

    in the play-offs.

    FREAKofSTEEL08 said:

    That was the Year The Steelers Beat you 3 Times. Something Like 17-10 , 17-7 and 29-9

    in the play-offs.

    Ah Yes,

    I do remember that.

    I had a guy from Lincoln welding at my shop teaching welding class that was a Steelers fan

    While he had his welding hood down teaching one of the guys ,I slipped everybody a Browns welders hat 🙂

    when he looked up at all of us standing there with our Browns hats,he just shook his head "your all a bunch of ass wholes"

    That was was a couple of days before the playoff game(he flunked me on my weld test BTW,God I hate Steeler fans)

  • FREAKofSTEEL08 said:

    That was the Year The Steelers Beat you 3 Times. Something Like 17-10 , 17-7 and 29-9

    in the play-offs.

    Ah Yes,

    I do remember that.

    I had a guy from Lincoln welding at my shop teaching welding class that was a Steelers fan

    While he had his welding hood down teaching one of the guys ,I slipped everybody a Browns welders hat 🙂

    when he looked up at all of us standing there with our Browns hats,he just shook his head "your all a bunch of ass wholes"

    That was was a couple of days before the playoff game(he flunked me on my weld test BTW,God I hate Steeler fans)

    @brownb499 said:

    Ah Yes,

    I do remember that.

    I had a guy from Lincoln welding at my shop teaching welding class that was a Steelers fan

    While he had his welding hood down teaching one of the guys ,I slipped everybody a Browns welders hat 🙂

    when he looked up at all of us standing there with our Browns hats,he just shook his head "your all a bunch of ass wholes"

    That was was a couple of days before the playoff game(he flunked me on my weld test BTW,God I hate Steeler fans)

    Wow... That was a Good one to. I woulda Laughed my Tail off.

  • I have been saying that for a while now.. we turn over coaches every 3 years.. NO WAY you can field a winning team when you tear a team apart to rebuild every 3 years.. Bengals are in year 7 with thier guy... looks like the patience may be paying of with a team that at least can play with the big boys.. I don't think they are a championship team.. but at least they have allowed lewis enough time to install his program with his players.. They have had a couple 8-8 seasons and some 7-9 seasons where they were right on the edge..and palmer has been hurt.. But we cannot keep this revolving door of coaches going and ever expect to field a team that is decent.

  • I have been saying that for a while now.. we turn over coaches every 3 years.. NO WAY you can field a winning team when you tear a team apart to rebuild every 3 years.. Bengals are in year 7 with thier guy... looks like the patience may be paying of with a team that at least can play with the big boys.. I don't think they are a championship team.. but at least they have allowed lewis enough time to install his program with his players.. They have had a couple 8-8 seasons and some 7-9 seasons where they were right on the edge..and palmer has been hurt.. But we cannot keep this revolving door of coaches going and ever expect to field a team that is decent.

    @sez.ej said:

    I have been saying that for a while now.. we turn over coaches every 3 years.. NO WAY you can field a winning team when you tear a team apart to rebuild every 3 years.. Bengals are in year 7 with thier guy... looks like the patience may be paying of with a team that at least can play with the big boys.. I don't think they are a championship team.. but at least they have allowed lewis enough time to install his program with his players.. They have had a couple 8-8 seasons and some 7-9 seasons where they were right on the edge..and palmer has been hurt.. But we cannot keep this revolving door of coaches going and ever expect to field a team that is decent.

    Totally agree ,but in the case of Romeo a change had to be made

    I'm sure Crennel is a very intelligent man,but I couldn't take another year of

    "I hope we play better"

    "I'd like to see us score this week"

    "I don't know if we can beat them ,I'd like to think we could"

    He should have been fired at the presser before the final game last year,that was the most spineless display I've

    ever seen from a Professional coach.

    If Savage would've had any balls at all ,he should of walked up to the mike, ripped it away from Crennel and said "Get OUT !"

  • FREAKofSTEEL08 said:

    That was the Year The Steelers Beat you 3 Times. Something Like 17-10 , 17-7 and 29-9

    in the play-offs.

    Ah Yes,

    I do remember that.

    I had a guy from Lincoln welding at my shop teaching welding class that was a Steelers fan

    While he had his welding hood down teaching one of the guys ,I slipped everybody a Browns welders hat 🙂

    when he looked up at all of us standing there with our Browns hats,he just shook his head "your all a bunch of ass wholes"

    That was was a couple of days before the playoff game(he flunked me on my weld test BTW,God I hate Steeler fans)

    @brownb499 said:

    Ah Yes,

    I do remember that.

    I had a guy from Lincoln welding at my shop teaching welding class that was a Steelers fan

    While he had his welding hood down teaching one of the guys ,I slipped everybody a Browns welders hat 🙂

    when he looked up at all of us standing there with our Browns hats,he just shook his head "your all a bunch of ass wholes"

    That was was a couple of days before the playoff game(he flunked me on my weld test BTW,God I hate Steeler fans)

    Man, you just described my uncle (taught welding at Lincoln and is a big ball busting Steelers fan). Do you remember the name of the guy? (first name only)

  • @brownb499 said:

    Ah Yes,

    I do remember that.

    I had a guy from Lincoln welding at my shop teaching welding class that was a Steelers fan

    While he had his welding hood down teaching one of the guys ,I slipped everybody a Browns welders hat 🙂

    when he looked up at all of us standing there with our Browns hats,he just shook his head "your all a bunch of ass wholes"

    That was was a couple of days before the playoff game(he flunked me on my weld test BTW,God I hate Steeler fans)

    Man, you just described my uncle (taught welding at Lincoln and is a big ball busting Steelers fan). Do you remember the name of the guy? (first name only)

    @roach said:

    Man, you just described my uncle (taught welding at Lincoln and is a big ball busting Steelers fan). Do you remember the name of the guy? (first name only)

    Gary,

    if thats him PM me I'd like to find out where he is

  • @dawgpound3 said:

    Bill Belichick.

    DING DING DING...we have a winner!!!

    My point? Give Mangini a year or two (or 6) like Belichick had (and look at how he turned out).

    @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    DING DING DING...we have a winner!!!

    My point? Give Mangini a year or two (or 6) like Belichick had (and look at how he turned out).

    Maybe...let's go deeper than just the records here. In Belichick's first season, here were the scores of his games:

    Dallas: 14-26

    New England: 20-0

    Cincinnati:14-13

    New York Giants: 10-13

    New York Jets: 14-17

    Washington: 17-42

    San Diego: 30-24

    Pittsburgh: 17-14

    Cincinnati: 21-23

    Philadelphia: 30-32

    Houston: 24-28

    Kansas City: 20-15

    Indianapolis: 31-0*

    Denver: 7-17

    Houston: 14-17

    Pittsburgh: 10-17

    *-Not for nothing, but I was at that game. Man, was it sweet.

    Putting talent issues aside, this may have been one of the best 6-10 teams in NFL history. Only three losses came by more than a score, and if Gibbs pulls Mark Rypien at some point in the fourth quarter and the Redskins score one less touchdown, the Browns actually outscore their opponents on the season (293-291).

    I agree with giving a coach time, but the Belichick example is a bit of a mirage in terms of just wins and losses. He didn't get time because his teams went 6-10, 7-9, etc., but because they were competitive. The only exception was 1995, at least half of which should be taken off of his career statistics by the NFL because no-one could have won after Modell announced he was leaving.

    Dennis

  • Year Coaching

    1st yr: 7-9

    2nd yr: 7-9

    3rd yr: 6-10

    4th yr: 11-5

    5th yr: 5-11

    6th yr: 5-11

    Amazing record (41-55). 5 out of 6 of his first seasons were losing seasons...and he is still coaching!!!

    @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    Year Coaching

    1st yr: 7-9

    2nd yr: 7-9

    3rd yr: 6-10

    4th yr: 11-5

    5th yr: 5-11

    6th yr: 5-11

    Amazing record (41-55). 5 out of 6 of his first seasons were losing seasons...and he is still coaching!!!

    That would be Bill Belichick. the first 5 years with the Browns, that 6th year was his first year with the Pats.

  • @dawgpound3 said:

    Bill Belichick.

    Wow

    I didn't remember us going 11-5

    with Vinny?

    @brownb499 said:

    Wow

    I didn't remember us going 11-5

    with Vinny?

    Yea, that would have been 1994. Belichick beat his mentor, Bill Parcells in a playoff game that year, (but yea, he then lost the next game to the Squealers)

  • Now for his first draft for NE and BB...

    2nd round, 46th overall: Adrian Klemm - 4yrs with NE, only 1 as a starter (G)

    3rd rd, 76th overall: JR Redmond - 3yrs with NE, 0 as starter (RB)

    4th rd, 127th overall: Greg Randall - 3yrs with NE, 1 as starter (T)

    5th rd, 141st overall: Dave Stachelski - 2yrs with NE, 0 as starter (TE)

    5th rd, 161st overall: Jeff Marriott - total bust (DT)

    6th rd, 187nd overall: Antwan Harris - 4yrs with NE, 0 as starter (DB)

    6th rd, 199nd overall: Tom Brady - to discuss later

    6th rd, 201st overall: David Nugent - 2yrs with NE, 0 as starter (DE)

    7th rd, 226th overall: Casey Tisdale - total bust (DE)

    7th rd, 239th overall: Patrick Pass - 7yrs with NE, 0 as starter

    Other than Tom Brady, BB had 9 total picks and only 7 made the team...and only 1 was with the team after 4 years....and he was a ST's guy. As of now, from the 2000 draft, Tom Brady is the ONLY active player in the league. Not great success now was it.

    Now, to discuss the GENIUS of drafting Tom Brady.

    First, he was a THROW IN PICK in the 6th round...in fact he wasn't even the FIRST pick of the 6th round for BB.

    Second, Tom Brady sat out his entire first year behind Bledsoe...and the only reason he got into a game in year 2 was because Bledsoe was bleeding into his lungs....so he was basically passed over by BB then too.

    Third, this is what TB was surrounded by:

    RB: Antowain Smith, 1st rd, 23rd pick

    FB: Marc Edwards, 2nd rd, 55th pick

    WR: Troy Brown, 8 year veteran, pro bowler

    WR: David Patten, yeah, the guy we tried out here

    TE: Rod Ruttlidge, 2nd rd, 54th pick

    LT: Matt Light - 2nd rd, 48th pick

    LG: Mike Compton - 3rd rd, 68th pick

    😄 Damien Woody - 1st rd, 17th pick

    RG: Joe Andruzzi - yeah, again, recent Brown

    RT: Greg Randall - 4th rd, 127th pick

    That was a VERY TALENTED offense young Tom Brady stepped into. He was placed into a PERFECT situation for a young guy to gain his confidence...and it shows by his career.

    I have said it often...the protection and system are as much to credit as Tom Brady (whom I consider a system QB....just look at Cassel for evidence).

    Again, my reason for this is....Mangini has done a HELL of a lot better in THIS draft than BB did back in 2000 (his 6th draft)...and has seen the benefits of surrounding a young QB with talent before deciding to discard him....so, do not count EITHER of our QB's as history just yet.

    RG:

    @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    Now for his first draft for NE and BB...

    2nd round, 46th overall: Adrian Klemm - 4yrs with NE, only 1 as a starter (G)

    3rd rd, 76th overall: JR Redmond - 3yrs with NE, 0 as starter (RB)

    4th rd, 127th overall: Greg Randall - 3yrs with NE, 1 as starter (T)

    5th rd, 141st overall: Dave Stachelski - 2yrs with NE, 0 as starter (TE)

    5th rd, 161st overall: Jeff Marriott - total bust (DT)

    6th rd, 187nd overall: Antwan Harris - 4yrs with NE, 0 as starter (DB)

    6th rd, 199nd overall: Tom Brady - to discuss later

    6th rd, 201st overall: David Nugent - 2yrs with NE, 0 as starter (DE)

    7th rd, 226th overall: Casey Tisdale - total bust (DE)

    7th rd, 239th overall: Patrick Pass - 7yrs with NE, 0 as starter

    Other than Tom Brady, BB had 9 total picks and only 7 made the team...and only 1 was with the team after 4 years....and he was a ST's guy. As of now, from the 2000 draft, Tom Brady is the ONLY active player in the league. Not great success now was it.

    Now, to discuss the GENIUS of drafting Tom Brady.

    First, he was a THROW IN PICK in the 6th round...in fact he wasn't even the FIRST pick of the 6th round for BB.

    Second, Tom Brady sat out his entire first year behind Bledsoe...and the only reason he got into a game in year 2 was because Bledsoe was bleeding into his lungs....so he was basically passed over by BB then too.

    Third, this is what TB was surrounded by:

    RB: Antowain Smith, 1st rd, 23rd pick

    FB: Marc Edwards, 2nd rd, 55th pick

    WR: Troy Brown, 8 year veteran, pro bowler

    WR: David Patten, yeah, the guy we tried out here

    TE: Rod Ruttlidge, 2nd rd, 54th pick

    LT: Matt Light - 2nd rd, 48th pick

    LG: Mike Compton - 3rd rd, 68th pick

    😄 Damien Woody - 1st rd, 17th pick

    RG: Joe Andruzzi - yeah, again, recent Brown

    RT: Greg Randall - 4th rd, 127th pick

    That was a VERY TALENTED offense young Tom Brady stepped into. He was placed into a PERFECT situation for a young guy to gain his confidence...and it shows by his career.

    I have said it often...the protection and system are as much to credit as Tom Brady (whom I consider a system QB....just look at Cassel for evidence).

    Again, my reason for this is....Mangini has done a HELL of a lot better in THIS draft than BB did back in 2000 (his 6th draft)...and has seen the benefits of surrounding a young QB with talent before deciding to discard him....so, do not count EITHER of our QB's as history just yet.

    RG:

    Wow....the more I look at the draft of BB in his first year at NE, the more I think of how AWFUL it was. If not for an injury to Bledsoe....Brady would likely never have seen the field...and the ONLY player that BB would have ended up with for more than 4 years would have been a ST's guy!!!

    Compare that to what we have here this year in Mangini's first draft.

    Guaranteed Starters:

    Mack

    MoMass

    Probably Starters:

    Veikune

    Robiskie

    Davis

    Special Teams Guy:

    Maiava

    Am I forgetting anyone?

  • @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    Now for his first draft for NE and BB...

    2nd round, 46th overall: Adrian Klemm - 4yrs with NE, only 1 as a starter (G)

    3rd rd, 76th overall: JR Redmond - 3yrs with NE, 0 as starter (RB)

    4th rd, 127th overall: Greg Randall - 3yrs with NE, 1 as starter (T)

    5th rd, 141st overall: Dave Stachelski - 2yrs with NE, 0 as starter (TE)

    5th rd, 161st overall: Jeff Marriott - total bust (DT)

    6th rd, 187nd overall: Antwan Harris - 4yrs with NE, 0 as starter (DB)

    6th rd, 199nd overall: Tom Brady - to discuss later

    6th rd, 201st overall: David Nugent - 2yrs with NE, 0 as starter (DE)

    7th rd, 226th overall: Casey Tisdale - total bust (DE)

    7th rd, 239th overall: Patrick Pass - 7yrs with NE, 0 as starter

    Other than Tom Brady, BB had 9 total picks and only 7 made the team...and only 1 was with the team after 4 years....and he was a ST's guy. As of now, from the 2000 draft, Tom Brady is the ONLY active player in the league. Not great success now was it.

    Now, to discuss the GENIUS of drafting Tom Brady.

    First, he was a THROW IN PICK in the 6th round...in fact he wasn't even the FIRST pick of the 6th round for BB.

    Second, Tom Brady sat out his entire first year behind Bledsoe...and the only reason he got into a game in year 2 was because Bledsoe was bleeding into his lungs....so he was basically passed over by BB then too.

    Third, this is what TB was surrounded by:

    RB: Antowain Smith, 1st rd, 23rd pick

    FB: Marc Edwards, 2nd rd, 55th pick

    WR: Troy Brown, 8 year veteran, pro bowler

    WR: David Patten, yeah, the guy we tried out here

    TE: Rod Ruttlidge, 2nd rd, 54th pick

    LT: Matt Light - 2nd rd, 48th pick

    LG: Mike Compton - 3rd rd, 68th pick

    😄 Damien Woody - 1st rd, 17th pick

    RG: Joe Andruzzi - yeah, again, recent Brown

    RT: Greg Randall - 4th rd, 127th pick

    That was a VERY TALENTED offense young Tom Brady stepped into. He was placed into a PERFECT situation for a young guy to gain his confidence...and it shows by his career.

    I have said it often...the protection and system are as much to credit as Tom Brady (whom I consider a system QB....just look at Cassel for evidence).

    Again, my reason for this is....Mangini has done a HELL of a lot better in THIS draft than BB did back in 2000 (his 6th draft)...and has seen the benefits of surrounding a young QB with talent before deciding to discard him....so, do not count EITHER of our QB's as history just yet.

    RG:

    Wow....the more I look at the draft of BB in his first year at NE, the more I think of how AWFUL it was. If not for an injury to Bledsoe....Brady would likely never have seen the field...and the ONLY player that BB would have ended up with for more than 4 years would have been a ST's guy!!!

    Compare that to what we have here this year in Mangini's first draft.

    Guaranteed Starters:

    Mack

    MoMass

    Probably Starters:

    Veikune

    Robiskie

    Davis

    Special Teams Guy:

    Maiava

    Am I forgetting anyone?

    @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    Wow....the more I look at the draft of BB in his first year at NE, the more I think of how AWFUL it was. If not for an injury to Bledsoe....Brady would likely never have seen the field...and the ONLY player that BB would have ended up with for more than 4 years would have been a ST's guy!!!

    Compare that to what we have here this year in Mangini's first draft.

    Guaranteed Starters:

    Mack

    MoMass

    Probably Starters:

    Veikune

    Robiskie

    Davis

    Special Teams Guy:

    Maiava

    Am I forgetting anyone?

    Coye Frances!