Skip to content

2010 draft

The Browns Board
38 21 3.3k
  • I like berry and have said so for a couple of years...but like Stan said, it's hard to have much discussion at this point...right now we could be drafting around 6-7...and Berry is gone by then.

    we will probably have a top 10 pick...maybe a top 5....either way there aren't any qbs or running backs to take up there...we probably go big man on one side of the ball or another...works for me.

  • What good Runningbacks are in this draft?

  • What good Runningbacks are in this draft?

    @atenears said:

    What good Runningbacks are in this draft?

    legarrette blount.

  • Only 1st round talent RB (None top 5, maybe not even top 10 aside form Spiller)

    C.J Spiller from Clemson

    Javad Best from California*Junior

    Jonathon Dwyer from Ga. tech *Junior

    According to Mel Kiper (who im not a HUGE fan of him or his hair line). Intersting too in his latest rankings his top 5 are:

    Eric Berry-S-TN

    Gerald McCoy-DT-OK

    Ndamukong Suh-DT-NEB

    Jake Locker-QB-WASH

    Russel Okung-OT-OK.ST

  • It IS TO EARLY to discuss the draft.. we don't know who we will keep, we don't know what free agents we will bring in. We don't know who we will resign (we have many free agents on our own roster) and we do not know who will declare from the junior class..we don't know the injury situation before the year is over.. This is a post for 5 mos. from now. Sorry to be an ass..but it's true... for all we know we may have a whole new coaching/gm staff by next spring..

  • What good Runningbacks are in this draft?

    @atenears said:

    What good Runningbacks are in this draft?

    None that I would call top of the 1st round picks....maybe Ingram of Ala, but don't think he will be in this draft.

  • The only offensive player we should even consider drafting would be offensive linemen.

    We've got to draft the nastiest, biggest, fastest defensive players avaiable at every spot we pick. I don't care if we draft 10 players with 5 brain cells between them, we need some violence on our defense to compete in our division.

  • Draft Eric Berry with the top 5 pick then trade all are other picks to move up and get Taylor Mays. Dream scenerio safety tandem

  • Eric Berry in Round One- No explanation needed.

    Jahvid Best in Round Two- Gives us a home run threat at RB. This means don't resign Harrison. I say keep Lewis to allow us a big back for short yardage and ball control. Let Best compete with Davis for the starting spot.

    If we do get another Round Two pick-George Selvie (DE USF), Jerry Hughes (DE TCU), or Navarro Bowman (LB Penn State).

    If any slip to Round Three, get 'em.

    On the second day, I would try to get play makers with upside-Juice Williams (another QB option, Wr, or RB)

    -Darryl Clark (QB Penn State)

    MANY WILL HATE ON PICKING JUICE WILLIAMS since he is an athlete who happens to play quarterback. Haven't we learned anything from the Steelers in Drafting - Hines Ward (Georgia QB -converted to hall of fame caliber WR.)

    Randall El (Indiana QB - more dominant than any receiver we currently have)

    Dixon (Oregon QB- yet to be determined)

    Also, look at our best player -Cribbs (Kent State QB)

    This is not a complete draft analysis since we are only at the midpoint of the college season. This is going off players on field performance.

    FREE AGENCY

    As for as the QB issue is concerned, I say make a play for Tavaris Jackson (Minnesota Backup) who will be an unrestricted free agent I believe. I don't think any of the top rated Qb's have franchise written on them. Also consider Chad Pennington from Miami.

    Lee Evans (Wr Buffalo will be an unrestricted free agent), plus he is Cleveland native (Bedford H.S.)

  • Draft Eric Berry with the top 5 pick then trade all are other picks to move up and get Taylor Mays. Dream scenerio safety tandem

    nmills said:

    Draft Eric Berry with the top 5 pick then trade all are other picks to move up and get Taylor Mays. Dream scenerio safety tandem

    Man, I love the crew we have on this site right now. Couple years back, I couldn't even mention acquiring a Safety as there were some who called them a 'Dime-a-dozen' and most others weren't interested in the 'non-glamorous' position.

    I have been screaming about getting a real safety in here for 9 years (Sean Jones had one good year, so I stopped screaming and just barked for that one year as I observed).

    We've been playing with 9 guys now on defense ever since we came back in the league. get us an 'ERASER' to clean-up them LB mistakes. Get us a game changer.

  • NFL DRAFT SCOUT FALLER: Taylor Mays, FS, Southern California: Yes, he's 6-3, 230 and may run in the 4.4's or lower at his Combine or pro day workout. And he was credited with 10 tackles against Notre Dame. But only one of those was a solo stop, and Mays was often very ordinary and did not play with intelligence. Scouts' two biggest complaints about Mays are that he does not make many big plays and he prefers to hit rather than tackle. Only the strength of USC's front line kept Jimmy Clausen from going up and down the field because even though he can cover ground in the defensive backfield, Mays was often a step late to help his corners. And multiple times he chose to lower a shoulder into a receiver instead of wrapping up and possibly forcing a fumble. The personal foul he picked up (his second of the half) for needlessly launching himself head-first into a receiver in the game's final series in regulation could have been a killer. Thankfully for Mays and his teammates, Clausen and his receivers couldn't connect in three throws to the end zone. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

    via here.

    I'd hold off on calling for Mays. He's nowhere near Berry's level and isn't even guaranteed to stick at safety at the next level. Might be better off playing outside linebacker in a 4-3.

  • What good Runningbacks are in this draft?

    @atenears said:

    What good Runningbacks are in this draft?

    I asked a similar question in another thread. Are we thinking Davis will make a difference when he's healthy? Surely we're not going to rely on Lewis again. What other sources are their for RB talent?

  • Only 1st round talent RB (None top 5, maybe not even top 10 aside form Spiller)

    C.J Spiller from Clemson

    Javad Best from California*Junior

    Jonathon Dwyer from Ga. tech *Junior

    According to Mel Kiper (who im not a HUGE fan of him or his hair line). Intersting too in his latest rankings his top 5 are:

    Eric Berry-S-TN

    Gerald McCoy-DT-OK

    Ndamukong Suh-DT-NEB

    Jake Locker-QB-WASH

    Russel Okung-OT-OK.ST

    @tn-browns-backer said:

    Only 1st round talent RB (None top 5, maybe not even top 10 aside form Spiller)

    C.J Spiller from Clemson

    Javad Best from California*Junior

    Jonathon Dwyer from Ga. tech *Junior

    According to Mel Kiper (who im not a HUGE fan of him or his hair line). Intersting too in his latest rankings his top 5 are:

    Eric Berry-S-TN

    Gerald McCoy-DT-OK

    Ndamukong Suh-DT-NEB

    Jake Locker-QB-WASH

    Russel Okung-OT-OK.ST

    Good to see another Dawg posting from TN. Dencyguy, Ballpeen and I also reside in TN. I'm a rookie season ticket holder for Vandy and find myself enjoying the SEC.

    I think Monterio Hardesty is increasign his NFL stock as the season unfolds. I'm not sure he's a 1st round pick; BUT that might be a good thing should we be able to take an Eric Berry in round 1 before we find a guy like this on our doorstep. Those are 2 pretty big needs IMO. The only drawback to a kid like Hardesty is durability issues. Alo, if you're reading this - what round do you project Hardesty going in? If anyone is a guru at the draft like Alo and you have a good idea or you have other RBs to consider, I'm interested in hearing about them. Solon and Riff - you guys like RBs, you have any ideas of good upper round prospects?

    As for the elite Safety -I remember the impact Eric Turner had on our defense when we drafted him. The last time we WON a playoff game was when we had Eric Turner turning Ben Coates into the Invisible Man or Casper the Friendly Ghost (take your pick). Point IS I'm learnign how much the right Safety means to a defense. The Steelers are pretty ho-hum without Polly; but WITH him their defense scores and their innovative DC has fun playing chess. How about Ed Reed? Do you see a DB that scores more TDs than this guy over the years?

    I'm also a Taylor Mays fan; BUT I think Berry plays with better instincts. Both guys can run. Mays prolly has the better size and even speed BUT that 1st step instinct doesn't necessarily mean he plays faster than Berry. BOTH kids play under former NFL DCs, which is a plus.

    - Tom F.

  • @tn-browns-backer said:

    Only 1st round talent RB (None top 5, maybe not even top 10 aside form Spiller)

    C.J Spiller from Clemson

    Javad Best from California*Junior

    Jonathon Dwyer from Ga. tech *Junior

    According to Mel Kiper (who im not a HUGE fan of him or his hair line). Intersting too in his latest rankings his top 5 are:

    Eric Berry-S-TN

    Gerald McCoy-DT-OK

    Ndamukong Suh-DT-NEB

    Jake Locker-QB-WASH

    Russel Okung-OT-OK.ST

    Good to see another Dawg posting from TN. Dencyguy, Ballpeen and I also reside in TN. I'm a rookie season ticket holder for Vandy and find myself enjoying the SEC.

    I think Monterio Hardesty is increasign his NFL stock as the season unfolds. I'm not sure he's a 1st round pick; BUT that might be a good thing should we be able to take an Eric Berry in round 1 before we find a guy like this on our doorstep. Those are 2 pretty big needs IMO. The only drawback to a kid like Hardesty is durability issues. Alo, if you're reading this - what round do you project Hardesty going in? If anyone is a guru at the draft like Alo and you have a good idea or you have other RBs to consider, I'm interested in hearing about them. Solon and Riff - you guys like RBs, you have any ideas of good upper round prospects?

    As for the elite Safety -I remember the impact Eric Turner had on our defense when we drafted him. The last time we WON a playoff game was when we had Eric Turner turning Ben Coates into the Invisible Man or Casper the Friendly Ghost (take your pick). Point IS I'm learnign how much the right Safety means to a defense. The Steelers are pretty ho-hum without Polly; but WITH him their defense scores and their innovative DC has fun playing chess. How about Ed Reed? Do you see a DB that scores more TDs than this guy over the years?

    I'm also a Taylor Mays fan; BUT I think Berry plays with better instincts. Both guys can run. Mays prolly has the better size and even speed BUT that 1st step instinct doesn't necessarily mean he plays faster than Berry. BOTH kids play under former NFL DCs, which is a plus.

    - Tom F.

    @flugel said:

    Good to see another Dawg posting from TN. Dencyguy, Ballpeen and I also reside in TN. I'm a rookie season ticket holder for Vandy and find myself enjoying the SEC.

    I think Monterio Hardesty is increasign his NFL stock as the season unfolds. I'm not sure he's a 1st round pick; BUT that might be a good thing should we be able to take an Eric Berry in round 1 before we find a guy like this on our doorstep. Those are 2 pretty big needs IMO. The only drawback to a kid like Hardesty is durability issues. Alo, if you're reading this - what round do you project Hardesty going in? If anyone is a guru at the draft like Alo and you have a good idea or you have other RBs to consider, I'm interested in hearing about them. Solon and Riff - you guys like RBs, you have any ideas of good upper round prospects?

    As for the elite Safety -I remember the impact Eric Turner had on our defense when we drafted him. The last time we WON a playoff game was when we had Eric Turner turning Ben Coates into the Invisible Man or Casper the Friendly Ghost (take your pick). Point IS I'm learnign how much the right Safety means to a defense. The Steelers are pretty ho-hum without Polly; but WITH him their defense scores and their innovative DC has fun playing chess. How about Ed Reed? Do you see a DB that scores more TDs than this guy over the years?

    I'm also a Taylor Mays fan; BUT I think Berry plays with better instincts. Both guys can run. Mays prolly has the better size and even speed BUT that 1st step instinct doesn't necessarily mean he plays faster than Berry. BOTH kids play under former NFL DCs, which is a plus.

    - Tom F.

    Very nice, im actually in Knoxville and I havent missed a home game going on my 4th year here hah. I like Hardesty. As a Vol's follower, the past 3 years he has gotten injured pretty frequently, but I could see hime maybe as a 4th round or even 3rd round pick is he continues to produce and stay healthy the way he has this season. I like guys who stay healthy a full season after injuries as opposed to your Sam Bradford case, ect.

    I also like Mays, but I feel like maybe Mays has been graced with a more talented D then Berry has had around him, and maybe he wont be as much of a play maker as Berry is, especially since Berry shines so well despite having opposing offenses gear their gameplan specifically to Berry.

  • we have not drafted on the DL in the top 3 rounds in 7 years now.. With our crap run defense and crap qb pressure.. I think its overdue. I like the safety.. if we can get him. He may go #1 overall from all the hype.. so...

  • I think there is a good chance we go tight end rather early (a clear need). Not with a top 5 pick, of course, but I could see it in the top of the second round. From Landry, Parcells, Belichick, to Mangini - they all covet good TEs. Mangini picked up Dustin Keller when at New York, so I can see him following suit here.

    Although, I'm not sure what TEs will be at the top of the board come April.

  • I love to have Spiller, we'd have the Clemson backfield togeather in Cleveland with James Davis. He's got the speed to out run you, agility to break ankles and power to run you over. Even better he can catch better than any receiver we have. Watch this video, at 2.16 are you kidding me a rb that can do that outta the backfield. This guys an istant impact player, although i dont wanna take him in the top 5, maybe if we trade down. I really dont think he gets outta the first round.

  • flugs...i love the kid from OSU(cowboys) Kendall hunter ...he's been hurt butthis kid has Barry sanders like moves...similar build too...small but powerful like MJD...I think stefon Johnson might fall to us in second round which would be a fking steal if he decides to come out...this year with all the uncertainty of looming rookie cap...alot of Jr's might be jumping ship...could be great for us especially with 11 picks but who knows what this regime will do....