Skip to content

Yankees v. Phillies

The Tribe Board
21 8 1.9k
  • @beanpot said:

    The trouble is that, inevitably, that one team will make good choices. They will put together a team of All-Stars. They will sign a dominant left-handed starter and a slugging switch-hitting Gold Glove first baseman and a right-handed starter who throws curveballs that bend like wiffle balls.

    Great article, and I think that sentence sums it up. I'm not sure how much people hated the Yankees when they were signing Randy Johnson, Johnny Damon, Carl Pavano and such. But once they get some halfway decent decision making, it gets to be ridiculous.

    I've never been much of a Yankee hater. I hate everyone that's not the Tribe pretty equally, and mainly hate whoever beat them last, most. Still utterly hate the Marlins. I could kind of get behind the Red Sox as an "underdog" until '07. I hate the Twins for their rag-tag playoff season that should've been ours.

    But the Yankee budget with capable management is pretty scary, me and some buddies down here are waiting for the day Sizemore and Hamilton are manning their outfield. I still don't completely get behind the salary cap, because I still like having elite teams. I'll take a title any way I can get it, but it would obviously be sweeter if we go through the Yankees or Red Sox than the Rays or Rangers. But I think something to cap the individual salaries and term needs to be done. There's just something undeniably wrong when Jake Westbrook gets paid more than Alex Ovechkin. Every team should at least be able to keep their franchise player, and not have to be crippled by signing a Westbrook, Millwood type to ridiculous money.

    But, yeah. I'm still pumped for the winter meetings and spring training. Can't help it.

    @cimo. said:

    Great article, and I think that sentence sums it up. I'm not sure how much people hated the Yankees when they were signing Randy Johnson, Johnny Damon, Carl Pavano and such. But once they get some halfway decent decision making, it gets to be ridiculous.

    *Hand in the air* - I hated 'em just as much no matter who they signed, but I get your point. There wasn't the outcry last year (or the last several years) when the Yankees didn't win the World Series. It ignored the fact they made the post-season 14 of the last 15 years. That even in their lean years (80's) they still won more games than any other team.

    I still don't completely get behind the salary cap, because I still like having elite teams. I'll take a title any way I can get it, but it would obviously be sweeter if we go through the Yankees or Red Sox than the Rays or Rangers. But I think something to cap the individual salaries and term needs to be done. There's just something undeniably wrong when Jake Westbrook gets paid more than Alex Ovechkin. Every team should at least be able to keep their franchise player, and not have to be crippled by signing a Westbrook, Millwood type to ridiculous money.

    Nuts on, CIMO. I don't like the idea of a salary cap either. A floor would be nice but even that doesn't do much to address the issue. Doubt it'd happen, but I like the idea of having a third team in New York. Wouldn't divide the pie right away but it'd eventually put some sort of dent into competitive balance. You have to do *something* when the combined opening day payrolls of the Red Sox and Cardinals are less than that of the Yanks. Telling owners to just spend more rings hollow.

    But, yeah. I'm still pumped for the winter meetings and spring training. Can't help it.

    Me too, bud. I was pissed to learn that Strasburg was scratched from the AFL Rising Stars game - available for all to see on MLB Network Saturday at 8:00!

    Beanpot