Skip to content

Browns scouting Suh

The Browns Board
17 10 1.8k
  • What do you think Suh's chances are of winning the Heisman?

    @atenears said:

    What do you think Suh's chances are of winning the Heisman?

    Ok, let me ask this a different way ... between defensive standouts Suh & Eric Berry, which has the best chance to be invited to NY for the Heisman presentation?

  • I doubt Eric Berry's a serious Heisman contender. Besides being a defensive player, Berry's having a good-but-not-great season (1 INT, 5.0 TFL's). A strong argument could be made that he hasn't even been the best safety in CFB this year; Texas redshirt sophomore Earl Thomas has become a serious playmaker (6 picks, 2 returned for TD's).

    Suh's more likely to get an invite, but it'll be hard for him to win the award. Clemson RB C.J. Spiller probably has more juice as a dark horse contender - I'm not a fan of smallish RB's, but Spiller's play in the Miami game last week turned me into a believer (310 total yards, 2 TD's).

  • A Alo

    I doubt Eric Berry's a serious Heisman contender. Besides being a defensive player, Berry's having a good-but-not-great season (1 INT, 5.0 TFL's). A strong argument could be made that he hasn't even been the best safety in CFB this year; Texas redshirt sophomore Earl Thomas has become a serious playmaker (6 picks, 2 returned for TD's).

    Suh's more likely to get an invite, but it'll be hard for him to win the award. Clemson RB C.J. Spiller probably has more juice as a dark horse contender - I'm not a fan of smallish RB's, but Spiller's play in the Miami game last week turned me into a believer (310 total yards, 2 TD's).

    @alo said:

    I'm not a fan of smallish RB's, but Spiller's play in the Miami game last week turned me into a believer (310 total yards, 2 TD's).

    Talk about outstanding smallish RB's, LaMichael James (Oregon) is killing USC as I type ... wow

    EDIT: Taylor Mays has not impressed me by making tackles ten yards down field.

  • @alo said:

    I'm not a fan of smallish RB's, but Spiller's play in the Miami game last week turned me into a believer (310 total yards, 2 TD's).

    Talk about outstanding smallish RB's, LaMichael James (Oregon) is killing USC as I type ... wow

    EDIT: Taylor Mays has not impressed me by making tackles ten yards down field.

    @atenears said:

    Talk about outstanding smallish RB's, LaMichael James (Oregon) is killing USC as I type ... wow

    EDIT: Taylor Mays has not impressed me by making tackles ten yards down field.

    Taylor Mays sucks, plain and simple. All he is another cheap shot artist who couldn't cover me let alone an NFL wide receiver. I will pass, thank you.

    But James caught my eye.. kid can stop and turn it on on a dime.

  • ummm like there is a team that's NOT scouting him?

  • Oregon has a lot of nice skill players on their team, and also a DB that had some giddy-up in coverage and coming in on the blitz. Their receivers caught the ball well. That team looks as good as anyone right now.

  • Then why dont we adjust our system to fit Rogers and Williams?

    @destinfunk said:

    Then why dont we adjust our system to fit Rogers and Williams?

    I don't know if you caught this Destin but we've put Rogers out at the DE spot lining up over the OT BEFORE he got the flu and i thought it was a GREAT way to utilize his talent. We've also had 4 dlinemen putting a hand down on occasion; BUT we're not really deep with dlinemen based on the 3-4 ideology this team was planned/contructed around.

    You what else Mangini has done? Haven't you witnessed the return of the sack to Wimbley's game?

    Let's be careful of prematurely determining the coach sucks because the hand Mankok was dealt was only 3-4 draft picks in the 2009 draft. I think they brought more experience and starters to our D from a Jets team that finished with double digit victories in 08.

    Williams has been a bum and that was Savage that brought this 4-3 guy (Williams) here to play in the 3-4. He's another overpaid stiff that sort of held our cap/plans hostage. Sometimes, a new coach has to see who can and can't play for himself so I think Mangini wanted to see for himslef if Williams can or can't play. I'm not sure Savage EVER knew if Williams could play the run or not - he saw 7 sacks from 2007 and overpaid him for 08 and 09. Yuck!

    Mike Adams is a guy that seems to show us he's coached well. Same with Elam. The other guys Savage loved aren't as impressive. I'm still waiting on the All Planet Superstar named Brodney Pool and Eric Wright. I think McDonald would be fine as the 3rd corner off the bench in an Anthony Henry role. Neither guy has proved to be anythign better than covering the slot.

    We gotta give ONE Head Coach a decent chance to show what he can do the season AFTER he was dealt a bad deck. We have a small core of talented players that are quietly playing their best football IMO. Joe Thomas is shutting every big name out he faces from notching a sack, Cribbs is better than ever, those that like D'Qwell inform me he was playing his best ball, Shaun Rogers took over 2 games he was healthy in, and Alex Mack was showign improvement every week but last.

    - Tom F.

  • ummm like there is a team that's NOT scouting him?

    @sez.ej said:

    ummm like there is a team that's NOT scouting him?

    Because scouting is a subjective science, a team's grade of a player will be influenced more by the games in which one of their scouts was in attendance. I'm guessing that if you compared teams that had scouts at the USC-Oregon State game to ones that didn't, you'd find a significantly lower grade given by teams who had someone in Corvallis. If you see a guy dominate or get dominated in person, it'll strongly influence how you view said prospect.

    And how did Suh play yesterday? I didn't catch the game, but former Browns scout Daniel Jeremiah has the details:

    Daniel Jeremiah said:

    Nebraska DT Suh had 5 tkls, 3 tackles for loss and 1 sack today... another day at the office for that Big Monster
  • @alo said:

    I'm not a fan of smallish RB's, but Spiller's play in the Miami game last week turned me into a believer (310 total yards, 2 TD's).

    Talk about outstanding smallish RB's, LaMichael James (Oregon) is killing USC as I type ... wow

    EDIT: Taylor Mays has not impressed me by making tackles ten yards down field.

    @atenears said:

    EDIT: Taylor Mays has not impressed me by making tackles ten yards down field.

    I thought he played relatively well, considering how the rest of the D was getting beat.

    Unfortunately, there's a false perception out there that Mays is a dynamic playmaker: in the last two seasons, he's only made two tackles for loss and picked off one pass.

    Some timely hits in '08 earned him a lot of hype, but he hasn't done much this year to build upon it. And his questionable instincts have become an issue; even when he delivers a big hit, it's usually too late to make a difference.

    He could be a good safety at the next level, but he looks to me more like a 4-3 linebacker: maybe there he'll manage to turn into more of an impact player.

  • A Alo

    @atenears said:

    EDIT: Taylor Mays has not impressed me by making tackles ten yards down field.

    I thought he played relatively well, considering how the rest of the D was getting beat.

    Unfortunately, there's a false perception out there that Mays is a dynamic playmaker: in the last two seasons, he's only made two tackles for loss and picked off one pass.

    Some timely hits in '08 earned him a lot of hype, but he hasn't done much this year to build upon it. And his questionable instincts have become an issue; even when he delivers a big hit, it's usually too late to make a difference.

    He could be a good safety at the next level, but he looks to me more like a 4-3 linebacker: maybe there he'll manage to turn into more of an impact player.

    @alo said:

    I thought he played relatively well, considering how the rest of the D was getting beat.

    Unfortunately, there's a false perception out there that Mays is a dynamic playmaker: in the last two seasons, he's only made two tackles for loss and picked off one pass.

    Some timely hits in '08 earned him a lot of hype, but he hasn't done much this year to build upon it. And his questionable instincts have become an issue; even when he delivers a big hit, it's usually too late to make a difference.

    He could be a good safety at the next level, but he looks to me more like a 4-3 linebacker: maybe there he'll manage to turn into more of an impact player.

    I agree about Mays, big time growing pains with surely come with, no way he sniffs the top 10 unless Oakland loves his 40 time and vertical jump.

    As for Suh, He is surely a player and I'm glad we are taking a look even though we running the 3-4 . It pissed me off when we passed on Ngata cause of Rogers when we had a chance to get him...Get the studs on the field already!