Skip to content

Lerner in the Tunnel

The Browns Board
44 21 3.4k
  • Reported by Doerschuk at the CantonRep, looks like something is cooking for the offweek -

    "I was in the press box and didn’t see it from this perch, but people who were downstairs tell us Randy Lerner was hanging around the tunnel as the first half ended.

    As the team moved toward the locker, Lerner looked into every face, the way an angry man would when his question is, what the hell was that?

    We’re told the owner was animated and angry, and our conclusion from talking to him afterward is that something will be done to shake things up.

    Lerner hung around until the second half was about to begin, we’re told, looking into each face once again as the players and coaches moved back to the field.

    Did we mention players and coaches?

    Afterward, Lerner said, “I don’t fault anyone for criticizing us.”

  • Reported by Doerschuk at the CantonRep, looks like something is cooking for the offweek -

    "I was in the press box and didn’t see it from this perch, but people who were downstairs tell us Randy Lerner was hanging around the tunnel as the first half ended.

    As the team moved toward the locker, Lerner looked into every face, the way an angry man would when his question is, what the hell was that?

    We’re told the owner was animated and angry, and our conclusion from talking to him afterward is that something will be done to shake things up.

    Lerner hung around until the second half was about to begin, we’re told, looking into each face once again as the players and coaches moved back to the field.

    Did we mention players and coaches?

    Afterward, Lerner said, “I don’t fault anyone for criticizing us.”

    @vdogrowz said:

    Reported by Doerschuk at the CantonRep, looks like something is cooking for the offweek -

    "I was in the press box and didn’t see it from this perch, but people who were downstairs tell us Randy Lerner was hanging around the tunnel as the first half ended.

    As the team moved toward the locker, Lerner looked into every face, the way an angry man would when his question is, what the hell was that?

    We’re told the owner was animated and angry, and our conclusion from talking to him afterward is that something will be done to shake things up.

    Lerner hung around until the second half was about to begin, we’re told, looking into each face once again as the players and coaches moved back to the field.

    Did we mention players and coaches?

    Afterward, Lerner said, “I don’t fault anyone for criticizing us.”

    Mangini may have bought his ticket out of town, starting DA the second half after the guy posted a zero rating the first half.

    If I'm POed and depressed watching this really bad football week after week- well, Randy's paying millions to field an inferior product.

  • I cannot imagine pulling the plug on Mangini after 8 games...but maybe he does. Only Randy knows for sure. I will be shocked if Anderson starts the monday night game against Baltimore though.

  • Just because the owner was pissed at halftime or whatever, let's not assume a major housecleaning is going to take place during the bye week.

    I'm glad he's pissed. I'm glad he's showing something emotionally.

    But make no mistake, he's going to see it through with Mangini. Mangini will not be fired in the bye week and he won't be let go after the season either. He's going to be given a fair shot to have another draft and to continue to build the roster.

  • Just because the owner was pissed at halftime or whatever, let's not assume a major housecleaning is going to take place during the bye week.

    I'm glad he's pissed. I'm glad he's showing something emotionally.

    But make no mistake, he's going to see it through with Mangini. Mangini will not be fired in the bye week and he won't be let go after the season either. He's going to be given a fair shot to have another draft and to continue to build the roster.

    @nw-ohio-brownie said:

    Just because the owner was pissed at halftime or whatever, let's not assume a major housecleaning is going to take place during the bye week.

    I'm glad he's pissed. I'm glad he's showing something emotionally.

    But make no mistake, he's going to see it through with Mangini. Mangini will not be fired in the bye week and he won't be let go after the season either. He's going to be given a fair shot to have another draft and to continue to build the roster.

    You sure about that, pal? Mangini punched his damn ticket when he stuck with Anderson.

  • Is there a link to this? I can't find it on the Repository.

  • @vdogrowz said:

    Reported by Doerschuk at the CantonRep, looks like something is cooking for the offweek -

    "I was in the press box and didn’t see it from this perch, but people who were downstairs tell us Randy Lerner was hanging around the tunnel as the first half ended.

    As the team moved toward the locker, Lerner looked into every face, the way an angry man would when his question is, what the hell was that?

    We’re told the owner was animated and angry, and our conclusion from talking to him afterward is that something will be done to shake things up.

    Lerner hung around until the second half was about to begin, we’re told, looking into each face once again as the players and coaches moved back to the field.

    Did we mention players and coaches?

    Afterward, Lerner said, “I don’t fault anyone for criticizing us.”

    Mangini may have bought his ticket out of town, starting DA the second half after the guy posted a zero rating the first half.

    If I'm POed and depressed watching this really bad football week after week- well, Randy's paying millions to field an inferior product.

    @hoorta said:

    Mangini may have bought his ticket out of town, starting DA the second half after the guy posted a zero rating the first half.

    If I'm POed and depressed watching this really bad football week after week- well, Randy's paying millions to field an inferior product.

    I wont believe it until i see it lerner is a gutless spineless silverspoon he likely wont do anything at the end of the season let alone the bye week...just wishful thinking folks we are likely stuck with this POS coach while ryan would be the likely fan favorite coach with a clevelander like tough guy attitude and a way of getting shitty players to play for him ryan is the guy that would turn this club around or at minimal keep the fanbase entertained with tough creative football.......

  • I'm sure Lerner is just as pissed as all of us after watching this game.

    Once he takes the emotion out of it and talks to Mangini, he will once again have to learn about the massive house-cleaning done in the off season (27 new players, I think). Mangini will remind him that we have 12 draft picks next April....then Lerner will hopefully remind Mangini he better not blow the draft in 2010.

    We can't even string three first downs together on a drive, it's time for a change at offensive coordinator. What's Lindy Infante up to these days? Maybe Bernie can find him, or take it over himself.

    Our talent isn't going to get better, but new schemes on "O" might produce something positive.

  • I cannot imagine pulling the plug on Mangini after 8 games...but maybe he does. Only Randy knows for sure. I will be shocked if Anderson starts the monday night game against Baltimore though.

    @mark-o said:

    I cannot imagine pulling the plug on Mangini after 8 games...but maybe he does. Only Randy knows for sure. I will be shocked if Anderson starts the monday night game against Baltimore though.

    Mark, it's not that we're losing, it's how we're losing. Six of the eight games we've played so far have been non-competitive blowouts. 1999 wasn't that long ago to still remember those stinkers, and OBR has us rated worse in 17 of 22 statistical categories than an expansion team. Wouldn't you agree the talent level of the 2009 Browns is way better than the 1999 edition? The it only leaves one explanation- it's the coaching.

    Makes me want to give Krispy Kreme a call to stop making those Coors Lite commercials, and sit in as interim coach for the rest of the year- we're still paying him- make him earn it. 🙂

  • @vdogrowz said:

    Reported by Doerschuk at the CantonRep, looks like something is cooking for the offweek -

    "I was in the press box and didn’t see it from this perch, but people who were downstairs tell us Randy Lerner was hanging around the tunnel as the first half ended.

    As the team moved toward the locker, Lerner looked into every face, the way an angry man would when his question is, what the hell was that?

    We’re told the owner was animated and angry, and our conclusion from talking to him afterward is that something will be done to shake things up.

    Lerner hung around until the second half was about to begin, we’re told, looking into each face once again as the players and coaches moved back to the field.

    Did we mention players and coaches?

    Afterward, Lerner said, “I don’t fault anyone for criticizing us.”

    Mangini may have bought his ticket out of town, starting DA the second half after the guy posted a zero rating the first half.

    If I'm POed and depressed watching this really bad football week after week- well, Randy's paying millions to field an inferior product.

    @hoorta said:

    If I'm POed and depressed watching this really bad football week after week- well, Randy's paying millions to field an inferior product.

    It's not necessarily a matter of spending millions of dollars, Larry. I believe - somewhere deep down - some common sense or rudimentary intelligence comes into play. I believe we are dealing with a dumb David Model but that is another post for another time.

    Lerner may or may not get angry because he spends all those dollars but the $Billion TV contract and franchise appreciation isn't too hard to take.

    In short, I believe the owner is a numb skull.

  • it's good to know that lerner actually does give a damn and it isn't just about money. this changes my opinion of him as an owner but not as a decision maker. i am still against the mangini hiring and want him gone. it's good to know that lerner is at least human though.

  • Lerner's just putting on a show to try and placate the fans.

    -Al

  • Sissy Randy is crying his eyes out to Mary Kay at the PD as well. What a puxxy we have as an owner. The antithesis to Al Davis except for one thing, he's almost as bad of an owner.

  • If I wasn't dying inside enough already -

    "Lerner made it clear several times during the short interview that he wanted time to gather his thoughts and that he wasn't really ready to elaborate on his mindset. He said he wanted "a day or two to wrap my mind around it. There's a lot going on right now."

    As for what the fans can expect, he said, "I don't know that I have a great answer for what to hang your hat on right now, other than a massive amount of thought and analysis and reflection and personal honesty is going to go into thinking about what's going on.

    "The answer is soul-searching."

    Can anyone imagine any other owner or GM in the NFL (maybe in history) telling their fans that he is going to "soul search" and get back to them later??

  • @hoorta said:

    If I'm POed and depressed watching this really bad football week after week- well, Randy's paying millions to field an inferior product.

    It's not necessarily a matter of spending millions of dollars, Larry. I believe - somewhere deep down - some common sense or rudimentary intelligence comes into play. I believe we are dealing with a dumb David Model but that is another post for another time.

    Lerner may or may not get angry because he spends all those dollars but the $Billion TV contract and franchise appreciation isn't too hard to take.

    In short, I believe the owner is a numb skull.

    @chicopee-john said:

    It's not necessarily a matter of spending millions of dollars, Larry. I believe - somewhere deep down - some common sense or rudimentary intelligence comes into play. I believe we are dealing with a dumb David Model but that is another post for another time.

    Lerner may or may not get angry because he spends all those dollars but the $Billion TV contract and franchise appreciation isn't too hard to take.

    In short, I believe the owner is a numb skull.

    He may be John, but really? Aston Villa seems to be doing at least mediocre. Dan Snyder ain't exactly a genius in my book, neither is Mike Brown. Al Davis should be declared legally dead, Ralph Wilson ain't far behind. Lerner sure don't have the lock on stupidity.

  • If I wasn't dying inside enough already -

    "Lerner made it clear several times during the short interview that he wanted time to gather his thoughts and that he wasn't really ready to elaborate on his mindset. He said he wanted "a day or two to wrap my mind around it. There's a lot going on right now."

    As for what the fans can expect, he said, "I don't know that I have a great answer for what to hang your hat on right now, other than a massive amount of thought and analysis and reflection and personal honesty is going to go into thinking about what's going on.

    "The answer is soul-searching."

    Can anyone imagine any other owner or GM in the NFL (maybe in history) telling their fans that he is going to "soul search" and get back to them later??

    @vdogrowz said:

    If I wasn't dying inside already I'd be ROTFLMAO over this -

    "Lerner made it clear several times during the short interview that he wanted time to gather his thoughts and that he wasn't really ready to elaborate on his mindset. He said he wanted "a day or two to wrap my mind around it. There's a lot going on right now."

    As for what the fans can expect, he said, "I don't know that I have a great answer for what to hang your hat on right now, other than a massive amount of thought and analysis and reflection and personal honesty is going to go into thinking about what's going on.

    "The answer is soul-searching."

    Will he be willing to admit he made a huge mistake hiring Mangini? Stay tuned folks.

  • maybe now he "gets it" and is as disgusted as the rest of us.. now.. do something about it!

  • @mark-o said:

    I cannot imagine pulling the plug on Mangini after 8 games...but maybe he does. Only Randy knows for sure. I will be shocked if Anderson starts the monday night game against Baltimore though.

    Mark, it's not that we're losing, it's how we're losing. Six of the eight games we've played so far have been non-competitive blowouts. 1999 wasn't that long ago to still remember those stinkers, and OBR has us rated worse in 17 of 22 statistical categories than an expansion team. Wouldn't you agree the talent level of the 2009 Browns is way better than the 1999 edition? The it only leaves one explanation- it's the coaching.

    Makes me want to give Krispy Kreme a call to stop making those Coors Lite commercials, and sit in as interim coach for the rest of the year- we're still paying him- make him earn it. 🙂

    @hoorta said:

    Mark, it's not that we're losing, it's how we're losing. Six of the eight games we've played so far have been non-competitive blowouts. 1999 wasn't that long ago to still remember those stinkers, and OBR has us rated worse in 17 of 22 statistical categories than an expansion team. Wouldn't you agree the talent level of the 2009 Browns is way better than the 1999 edition? The it only leaves one explanation- it's the coaching.

    Makes me want to give Krispy Kreme a call to stop making those Coors Lite commercials, and sit in as interim coach for the rest of the year- we're still paying him- make him earn it. 🙂

    I know that we're getting blown out and the offense is in shambles...I would think that's how he saves the rest of the season for himself, maybe it's Dabol who is let go, but then who calls the plays?

  • @hoorta said:

    Mark, it's not that we're losing, it's how we're losing. Six of the eight games we've played so far have been non-competitive blowouts. 1999 wasn't that long ago to still remember those stinkers, and OBR has us rated worse in 17 of 22 statistical categories than an expansion team. Wouldn't you agree the talent level of the 2009 Browns is way better than the 1999 edition? The it only leaves one explanation- it's the coaching.

    Makes me want to give Krispy Kreme a call to stop making those Coors Lite commercials, and sit in as interim coach for the rest of the year- we're still paying him- make him earn it. 🙂

    I know that we're getting blown out and the offense is in shambles...I would think that's how he saves the rest of the season for himself, maybe it's Dabol who is let go, but then who calls the plays?

    @mark-o said:

    I know that we're getting blown out and the offense is in shambles...I would think that's how he saves the rest of the season for himself, maybe it's Dabol who is let go, but then who calls the plays?

    I'm also thinking Dabol's history

    As far as calling plays? This guys been so bad ,anybody would be an upgrade,but my guess would be Carl Smith