Skip to content

Eric Mangini defends Derek Anderson, but says QB 'analysis' will occur

The Browns Board
12 10 1.5k
  • DumAssWhiteGuyD DumAssWhiteGuy wrote on last edited by
    #3

    If DA is starting against Baltimore in 2 weeks Mangini needs to escorted off the field by security before the 1st period is over. This is insane!

    "I liked the way we were moving the ball..." What? to the other team? If DA starts another game this year it better be because of injuries to the other two QB's, any other reason and Mangini must be fired!

  • Rooster DickR Rooster Dick wrote on last edited by
    #4

    HELL YAH to the posters above me ^^^

  • F Fan Of STEEL 1 wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Of course he is defending him. He started him and kept putting him in and said he gives the browns the best chance to win. LOL His ego is still in his way.

  • K kshutchins wrote on last edited by
    #6

    What a bunch of maroons.

  • Eric Mangini defends Derek Anderson, but says QB 'analysis' will occur: Browns Insider

    By Tony Grossi

    November 02, 2009, 7:02PM

    UPDATED: 8:36 p.m.

    BEREA, Ohio -- The future of the Browns quarterback position beyond the bye week is, well, uncertain.

    Coach Eric Mangini defended not pulling Derek Anderson in Chicago after a 0.0 rating and 16-0 deficit in the first half. But he wouldn't commit to him remaining as the starter.

    "What I'm saying is that this week I'll look at all those things and it will be part of our analysis," Mangini said.

    Anderson finished the game 6-of-17 for 76 yards, two interceptions and a 10.5 rating. It was the third time in the last four games he failed to pass for more than 100 yards.

    Anderson's record as starter fell to 1-4, his overall completion percentage dived to 42.9 and his overall passer rating skidded to 36.2. According to STATS, Inc, the passer rating is the lowest for an NFL quarterback through eight weeks since Marc Wilson's 29.2 in 1981. A passer rating of 80.0 is now considered average.

    Mangini was encouraged that Anderson engineered a scoring drive on the Browns' first possession of the second half, and had the team moving before fumbles after catches by Steve Heiden and Mohamed Massaquoi.

    "I don't think those were a function of the throw," Mangini said of the fumbles.

    But the scoring drive was set up by a 12-yard shanked punt by Brad Maynard that gave the Browns possession at the Bears' 30. Jamal Lewis then had runs of 13, 6, 10 and zero yards, before Anderson sneaked over from 1-yard out. Not a pass in the drive.

    "There were the other drives we were in position," Mangini said.

    Heiden fumbled at the Browns' 49 in the third quarter and Massaquoi fumbled at the Bears' 15 in the fourth.

    "That was a drive that we could've potentially scored on. I'd like to think that we would've," Mangini said.

    Daboll safe: Mangini said he won't replace first-year offensive coordinator Brian Daboll despite the fact the Browns are ranked at or near the bottom of the league in almost every statistical category.

    Instead, he indicated he'll rely more on the input of quarterbacks coach Carl Smith, who spent 11 seasons as offensive coordinator of the Saints and one for the Jaguars.

    "I think that there's been things that we can improve offensively," said Mangini. "Carl Smith is a guy that has a lot of experience. That's one of the reasons I wanted Carl to be part of the staff is to have a guy who's called a lot of plays in the NFL."

    So why did Mangini choose Daboll over Smith in the first place?

    "I've known Brian for a long time," he said. "He's very smart, I like the systems he's worked in, both in New England and New York. I think we share the same vision offensively and I think Carl's a great compliment to that, just like all the members of the offensive staff are a great compliment to that."

    He said he expects Daboll to grow into the job the same way Brian Schottenheimer grew into the same role with the Jets.

    "This is the second time I've hired a new offensive coordinator who hadn't done it," said Mangini. "I think Brian Schottenheimer has gotten better over time. He wasn't always perfect his first year. He's another guy very smart and talented. He's done good things in New York and I think he'll continue to do good things there, just like I believe Brian will continue to grow as a coordinator and do very good things here."

    K kshutchins wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @atenears said:

    Eric Mangini defends Derek Anderson, but says QB 'analysis' will occur: Browns Insider

    By Tony Grossi

    November 02, 2009, 7:02PM

    UPDATED: 8:36 p.m.

    BEREA, Ohio -- The future of the Browns quarterback position beyond the bye week is, well, uncertain.

    Coach Eric Mangini defended not pulling Derek Anderson in Chicago after a 0.0 rating and 16-0 deficit in the first half. But he wouldn't commit to him remaining as the starter.

    "What I'm saying is that this week I'll look at all those things and it will be part of our analysis," Mangini said.

    How is it possible that there is still something to analyze? How many ways can one analyze ZERO?

  • C Chip Banks wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Why would any coach throw any QB that is still on his team under the bus? Really?

    He'll go to Quinn against Baltimore, I guarantee it. What purpose would it serve to say that Anderson sucked? He did, of course, but suckage was a team effort. Even Thomas got beat like a red-headed step child on more than one occasion in that game.

  • D dj_illness wrote on last edited by
    #9

    i find it quite baffling that we have an eleven year (?) veteran offensive co-ordinator on our staff.

    the offensive play calling is absolutely atrocious. This guy should have been given more reigns and the little Troll learn from him.

    amazing.

  • F Fan Of STEEL 1 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    So does this mean that Mangini has not analysed the QB before? What the heck does that mean... "a QB analysis will occur"? Talk about blowing smoke up peoples butts.

  • If DA is starting against Baltimore in 2 weeks Mangini needs to escorted off the field by security before the 1st period is over. This is insane!

    "I liked the way we were moving the ball..." What? to the other team? If DA starts another game this year it better be because of injuries to the other two QB's, any other reason and Mangini must be fired!

    Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @dumasswhiteguy said:

    If DA is starting against Baltimore in 2 weeks Mangini needs to escorted off the field by security before the 1st period is over. This is insane!

    "I liked the way we were moving the ball..." What? to the other team? If DA starts another game this year it better be because of injuries to the other two QB's, any other reason and Mangini must be fired!

    Remember, we will have to look at the numbers? after the game against Greenbay? And know how many snaps has DA had this year? probably equal to the number of snaps BQ has had in 2.5 games. Your answer is after another 5 1/2 games BQ will get the nod to go in.

  • medicinemanM medicineman wrote on last edited by
    #12

    How can ANYBODY defend Anderson. It is not possible. I can't even defend myself for being a Browns fan