Skip to content

Mangini will help choose the new GM

The Browns Board
27 16 2.3k
  • @thaak said:

    he brought an arena team from vegas to cleveland that basically sucked and in one year it played for the arena championship.

    He has "some" Football executive experience.

    OK, like I said, that was something I had overlooked. Does anyone know truly how deep BK's involvement with the Gladiators was? Does "running" (if that is what he did) an Arena League team translate to running an NFL team?

    (the transition was OK for QB Kurt Warner, don't know about a GM.)

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, like I said, that was something I had overlooked. Does anyone know truly how deep BK's involvement with the Gladiators was? Does "running" (if that is what he did) an Arena League team translate to running an NFL team?

    (the transition was OK for QB Kurt Warner, don't know about a GM.)

    I don't know, but if there is an exception to my feeling of sticking to group A & B, Bernie may be it. He is an extremely intelligent man who DOES have football knowledge & experience. I just know I don't want to see Lerner hiring football leadership unless he seeks more input from football people. All we can do is guess & wait.

    Mike

  • BrownsKiddB BrownsKidd wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Let me repeat.

    I heard on ESPN Sportscenter (sure may not be that accurate) but it was said that Lerner is looking for a GM that has NO connections with Mangini at all.

    This is the smartest move Lerner could make.

    I think Mangini is just saving face to be honest so that it appears Lerner has not lost faith in him. At this point in time I would not trust anything that Mangini has said to the media.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Per an article I read here are the categories of potential candidates for a new GM:

    A. Model 1: The Experienced GM (or The Ernie Accorsi model)

    possibles: Charlie Casserly, Floyd Reese, James Harris, Mike Lombardi, Carl Peterson, Ron Hill

    B. Model 2: The Proven Coach taking over as GM (or the Bill Parcels model)

    possibles: Dan Reeves, Marty Schottenheimer, Dick Vermeil (you could include a Billick, Cowher, Seifert, Gibbs, etc. in this group.

    C. Model 3: The Experienced Front office exec. moving up: (the Scott Pioli model)

    possibles: Kevin Colbert, Tom Heckert, Bill Kuharich, Randy Meuller

    D. Model 4: The Young Understudy (of course, this I believe is what we have had with Savage and Kokinis here0

    E. Model 5: The Complete Outsider (or the Kennesaw Mountain Landis model, where you bring someone in from out of the blue that was involved in another profession altogether)

    possible: Bernie Kosar, of course. Paul Faulkner, Chief of Operations of Aston Villa, Karl Rove (we may need about as big a prick as we can find for this job),

    Thanks for narrowing it down for us, now I have a much better understanding of who it could be. LOL Im just glad flip a coin isnt a consideration

    B bonedawg wrote on last edited by
    #18

    nmills said:

    Thanks for narrowing it down for us, now I have a much better understanding of who it could be. LOL Im just glad flip a coin isnt a consideration

    HEY! WHAT IS WRONG WITH FLIPPING A COIN?

    romeo-crennel-122808.jpg

  • @the-gipper said:

    OK, like I said, that was something I had overlooked. Does anyone know truly how deep BK's involvement with the Gladiators was? Does "running" (if that is what he did) an Arena League team translate to running an NFL team?

    (the transition was OK for QB Kurt Warner, don't know about a GM.)

    I don't know, but if there is an exception to my feeling of sticking to group A & B, Bernie may be it. He is an extremely intelligent man who DOES have football knowledge & experience. I just know I don't want to see Lerner hiring football leadership unless he seeks more input from football people. All we can do is guess & wait.

    Mike

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @canton-mike said:

    I don't know, but if there is an exception to my feeling of sticking to group A & B, Bernie may be it. He is an extremely intelligent man who DOES have football knowledge & experience. I just know I don't want to see Lerner hiring football leadership unless he seeks more input from football people. All we can do is guess & wait.

    Mike

    Well, my question is, if Bernie was IN FACT the GM of the Gladiators, would he actually fit into category A....as an "experienced" GM?

    And I thus repeat my question: would being a GM of an Arena League team be tantamount or nearly so to being the GM of an NFL team?

  • @canton-mike said:

    I don't know, but if there is an exception to my feeling of sticking to group A & B, Bernie may be it. He is an extremely intelligent man who DOES have football knowledge & experience. I just know I don't want to see Lerner hiring football leadership unless he seeks more input from football people. All we can do is guess & wait.

    Mike

    Well, my question is, if Bernie was IN FACT the GM of the Gladiators, would he actually fit into category A....as an "experienced" GM?

    And I thus repeat my question: would being a GM of an Arena League team be tantamount or nearly so to being the GM of an NFL team?

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, my question is, if Bernie was IN FACT the GM of the Gladiators, would he actually fit into category A....as an "experienced" GM?

    And I thus repeat my question: would being a GM of an Arena League team be tantamount or nearly so to being the GM of an NFL team?

    I don't know, but it's an interesting question.

    Mike

  • @canton-mike said:

    I don't know, but if there is an exception to my feeling of sticking to group A & B, Bernie may be it. He is an extremely intelligent man who DOES have football knowledge & experience. I just know I don't want to see Lerner hiring football leadership unless he seeks more input from football people. All we can do is guess & wait.

    Mike

    Well, my question is, if Bernie was IN FACT the GM of the Gladiators, would he actually fit into category A....as an "experienced" GM?

    And I thus repeat my question: would being a GM of an Arena League team be tantamount or nearly so to being the GM of an NFL team?

    C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, my question is, if Bernie was IN FACT the GM of the Gladiators, would he actually fit into category A....as an "experienced" GM?

    And I thus repeat my question: would being a GM of an Arena League team be tantamount or nearly so to being the GM of an NFL team?

    His turn around of the Gladiators was pretty simple, he went out and got one of the most sucessful QB's in AFL history and went to the Championship his first year.

    It might not be that easy to get the browns turned around but if he can get us a QB for the next 10 years it would be more then anyone has gotten us in a long time.

    I say let Bernie pick the next QB and make him the QB's coach

  • B beefjerky wrote on last edited by beefjerky
    #22

    no one credible will want to be the browns GM unless mangini was gone, if mangini is the one who is control of everything, why have a GM at all?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well, my question is, if Bernie was IN FACT the GM of the Gladiators, would he actually fit into category A....as an "experienced" GM?

    And I thus repeat my question: would being a GM of an Arena League team be tantamount or nearly so to being the GM of an NFL team?

    His turn around of the Gladiators was pretty simple, he went out and got one of the most sucessful QB's in AFL history and went to the Championship his first year.

    It might not be that easy to get the browns turned around but if he can get us a QB for the next 10 years it would be more then anyone has gotten us in a long time.

    I say let Bernie pick the next QB and make him the QB's coach

    BrownB499B BrownB499 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    nmills said:

    I say let Bernie pick the next QB and make him the QB's coach

    I've wondered why past regimes hadn't brought him in at least as a tudor?

    It always amazes me the way he picks defenses apart from the booth

  • nmills said:

    I say let Bernie pick the next QB and make him the QB's coach

    I've wondered why past regimes hadn't brought him in at least as a tudor?

    It always amazes me the way he picks defenses apart from the booth

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @brownb499 said:

    I've wondered why past regimes hadn't brought him in at least as a tudor?

    It always amazes me the way he picks defenses apart from the booth

    They brought him in as a Tudor? Really? I thought he was a Plantagenet, or at least a Hanover or Windsor, one of the other Royal houses, but not a Tudor. Henry VIII with his six wives was a Tudor...where do you think Randy Lerner got the ideas to switch Head Coaches every other year? I mean, Mangini may end up like Ann Boleyn with his head chopped off.

    (Just messing with your misspelling (sp.?)) 🙄

  • ClevelandFanForLifeC ClevelandFanForLife wrote on last edited by ClevelandFanForLife
    #25

    why the hell would lerner let mangini do this again? does this guy ever learn from his mistakes or does mangini really have him eating out of the palm of his hand? hopefully brownskid is right and lerner is going after someone mangini doesn't like. even better i hope he gets a gm that doesn't like mangini and will can his ass.

  • E Earl34 wrote on last edited by
    #26

    You guys are too much. You're going off of speculation generated by a single, random comment from the coach. I wouldn't expect him to say anything contrary to that. He didn't say he would definitely be involved and neither did Lerner. You're wasting bandwith on serious supposition.

  • J JoeSixPat wrote on last edited by
    #27

    That'd be pretty low if Lerner told Mangini that he'll have the final say on everything... even if Lerner actually gives that Power to the GM.

    Almost as low as Mangini telling Kokinis the same thing but than doing the opposite.

    I guess that'd be fitting in a way.