Skip to content

Quinn assumes DA is starting

The Browns Board
24 12 2.4k
  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #4

    I don't think DA is playing because of EM's stubbornness. I think it really has to do with the escalators on BQ's contract. EM had to give Brady his shot or the fans would have killed him, so he gives him three games against three great teams, and only gives him a small portion of the playbook. Then, when people start calling for Brady's head (I was at that Baltimore game, and fans were literally calling for his head/ass/balls), EM puts in DA to "save the day". DA plays terrible, like everyone expected, and now the 70% of the snap escalator is completely unattainable right before the bye week, and our only Monday Night game against who.... the Ravens, of course. If this doesn't set BQ up to be a gigantic hero, then I don't know what does.

  • A Alendor wrote on last edited by Alendor
    #5

    the 70% is still achievable if BQ starts vs balt. you have to keep in mind, that with so little offensive production we have had with DA, that the amount of snaps on offense have been low. If BQ actually can move the offense, he'll get alot more snaps per game than DA, hence being able to reach 70% if he plays vs balt at the very least.

    due to this, if the issue is the money, don't expect BQ to start vs balt. maybe come in half way through, but i don't think he'll be starting. i hope i'm proven wrong tho.

  • the 70% is still achievable if BQ starts vs balt. you have to keep in mind, that with so little offensive production we have had with DA, that the amount of snaps on offense have been low. If BQ actually can move the offense, he'll get alot more snaps per game than DA, hence being able to reach 70% if he plays vs balt at the very least.

    due to this, if the issue is the money, don't expect BQ to start vs balt. maybe come in half way through, but i don't think he'll be starting. i hope i'm proven wrong tho.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by Tim Couch Pulls Out
    #6

    @alendor said:

    the 70% is still achievable if BQ starts vs balt. you have to keep in mind, that with so little offensive production we have had with DA, that the amount of snaps on offense have been low. If BQ actually can move the offense, he'll get alot more snaps per game than DA, hence being able to reach 70% if he plays vs balt at the very least.

    due to this, if the issue is the money, don't expect BQ to start vs balt. maybe come in half way through, but i don't think he'll be starting. i hope i'm proven wrong tho.

    True, I did not think of the fact that our offensive production would go up with him at the helm. Well, let him come in at half-time, it would be like a reversal of fortune for DA. I think I might be going to this game, I honestly hope it will be better than the last one.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #7
    BEREA — Brady Quinn says until he is told differently he is assuming Derek Anderson is still the starting quarterback.

    Not to nitpick here..but I don't like that attitude in a player. Players need to assume they are starting. It is the only way to prepare 100%.

    JMO

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #8

    As to the issue of Quinn and the snaps/money.

    BQ has shown me enough to tell me I don't want to hand over the 11 mil. I wouldn't start him until it required unbelievable effort and production to get the cash.

    I don't start him against Balt.....then go with him the rest of the year.

    More or less make it impossible to get the bonus for lousy play.

    Then, if he comes in, finally gets it and plays well and comes up a little short on the snap requirements...I waive the requirements and give him the bonus...if not, we have a 5 mil a year qb for another couple of years.

  • BEREA — Brady Quinn says until he is told differently he is assuming Derek Anderson is still the starting quarterback.

    Not to nitpick here..but I don't like that attitude in a player. Players need to assume they are starting. It is the only way to prepare 100%.

    JMO

    LCDawgFan13L LCDawgFan13 wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @ballpeen said:

    Not to nitpick here..but I don't like that attitude in a player. Players need to assume they are starting. It is the only way to prepare 100%.

    JMO

    I don't care who the player is, but after getting jerked around for the past few years, especially this season, no one in Quinn's shoes would assume at this point that they are starting. He won the starting position, then lost it based on DA's 3 INT half! C'mon, get real! Give the kid a break. You are nitpicking...very badly! In a normal situation, I would agree that players should assume the start. But this is FAR from normal in C-town!

  • As to the issue of Quinn and the snaps/money.

    BQ has shown me enough to tell me I don't want to hand over the 11 mil. I wouldn't start him until it required unbelievable effort and production to get the cash.

    I don't start him against Balt.....then go with him the rest of the year.

    More or less make it impossible to get the bonus for lousy play.

    Then, if he comes in, finally gets it and plays well and comes up a little short on the snap requirements...I waive the requirements and give him the bonus...if not, we have a 5 mil a year qb for another couple of years.

    LCDawgFan13L LCDawgFan13 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @ballpeen said:

    As to the issue of Quinn and the snaps/money.

    BQ has shown me enough to tell me I don't want to hand over the 11 mil. I wouldn't start him until it required unbelievable effort and production to get the cash.

    I don't start him against Balt.....then go with him the rest of the year.

    More or less make it impossible to get the bonus for lousy play.

    Then, if he comes in, finally gets it and plays well and comes up a little short on the snap requirements...I waive the requirements and give him the bonus...if not, we have a 5 mil a year qb for another couple of years.

    Is the bonus still possible? Yes...but not, as you say, with lousy play! Even with the start against Baltimore, Brady has to show something in order to get that big payday. At the current pace of the offense, he would only be at 60-65% of the snaps by playing the rest of the season. Getting to 70% is not going to be a gimme. I say they gotta let him have the shot! Unless they do something by playing Ratliff or Cribbs under center. But DA cannot be allowed to continue to embarass this team!

  • C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by Chicopee John
    #11

    Why does Quinn (or anybody else, for that matter) have to assume anything at this point?

    He should KNOW one way or the other. They should take this knowledge and practice accordingly throughout the week.

    Mangini wants to keep his own team in the dark as much as he does the oppostion - and the opposition probably doesn't care all that much at this point.

    PS IMHO, a DA start is a BAD idea, if only because of the national exposure of MNF.

    If DA starts, Mangini confirms his 'ignorance' and furthers the punching of his ticket out of town.

  • @alendor said:

    the 70% is still achievable if BQ starts vs balt. you have to keep in mind, that with so little offensive production we have had with DA, that the amount of snaps on offense have been low. If BQ actually can move the offense, he'll get alot more snaps per game than DA, hence being able to reach 70% if he plays vs balt at the very least.

    due to this, if the issue is the money, don't expect BQ to start vs balt. maybe come in half way through, but i don't think he'll be starting. i hope i'm proven wrong tho.

    True, I did not think of the fact that our offensive production would go up with him at the helm. Well, let him come in at half-time, it would be like a reversal of fortune for DA. I think I might be going to this game, I honestly hope it will be better than the last one.

    B bonedawg wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    True, I did not think of the fact that our offensive production would go up with him at the helm. Well, let him come in at half-time, it would be like a reversal of fortune for DA. I think I might be going to this game, I honestly hope it will be better than the last one.

    What makes you think our offense production will go up with BQ at the helm? I seem to remember a lot of 3 and outs with BQ steering the ship. He was 6-8 for 34yds last time he played Baltimore.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    True, I did not think of the fact that our offensive production would go up with him at the helm. Well, let him come in at half-time, it would be like a reversal of fortune for DA. I think I might be going to this game, I honestly hope it will be better than the last one.

    What makes you think our offense production will go up with BQ at the helm? I seem to remember a lot of 3 and outs with BQ steering the ship. He was 6-8 for 34yds last time he played Baltimore.

    BrownsFan4EvrB BrownsFan4Evr wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @bonedawg said:

    He was 6-8 for 34yds last time he played Baltimore.

    ....and that's WAY BETTER than DA! 😆

  • Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
    #14

    The last time we playedthe Ravens it was a tale of two halfs

    BQ 6 for 8 34yfs 75.0 % completion 1 sack 1 Int

    DA 11 for 19 92 yds 57.9% completion 1 scak 3 Int's

    We also ran the ball 23 times for 71 yards

    Total number of offensive plays

    Balt. 66

    Clev. 52

    Boxscores Link Here

    All of us know that the Ravens have DA's number and are wanting to seee him out there on the field, we can also go back to last season and pull DA's stats from the 08 season.

    Has Ratlifff ever played against the Ravens?

  • hx214H hx214 wrote on last edited by
    #15

    Again, I just don't understand why this is so hard. I see three different scenarios here.

    1. Quinn goes in and plays fantastic moves the ball and wins games he gets his bonus, and we don't have to worry about the QB position in the draft. - Chances of this happening are slim to none.

    2. Quinn goes in and plays average. Offense keeps doing what it is doing and he doesn't get his pay. We get an honest look at BQ and can then decide if we need to draft a QB or decide Quinn is serviceable and we don't have to.

    3. Quinn goes in, craps his pants worse than DA. Enter Ratliff.

    I just hope they can pull something out of this abysmal season and get some looks at players and see where we need to make moves and where we have guys that are usable.

  • C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by
    #16

    >>All of us know that the Ravens have DA's number >>

    LOL, T. I believe Chicopee High School has DA's 'number'.

    2-17-23 Hike!!!!

  • >>All of us know that the Ravens have DA's number >>

    LOL, T. I believe Chicopee High School has DA's 'number'.

    2-17-23 Hike!!!!

    D dj_illness wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @chicopee-john said:

    >>All of us know that the Ravens have DA's number >>

    LOL, T. I believe Chicopee High School has DA's 'number'.

    2-17-23 Hike!!!!

    you only say that cuz you're from Chicopee. I know your games.

    let's be honest. It doesn't matter who the he*l we start at QB against the Ravens.

    it really doesn't.

  • @chicopee-john said:

    >>All of us know that the Ravens have DA's number >>

    LOL, T. I believe Chicopee High School has DA's 'number'.

    2-17-23 Hike!!!!

    you only say that cuz you're from Chicopee. I know your games.

    let's be honest. It doesn't matter who the he*l we start at QB against the Ravens.

    it really doesn't.

    Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @dj_illness said:

    you only say that cuz you're from Chicopee. I know your games.

    let's be honest. It doesn't matter who the he*l we start at QB against the Ravens.

    it really doesn't.

    I disagree, some QB's complete an offense, they can make a bad team look good.

  • @dj_illness said:

    you only say that cuz you're from Chicopee. I know your games.

    let's be honest. It doesn't matter who the he*l we start at QB against the Ravens.

    it really doesn't.

    I disagree, some QB's complete an offense, they can make a bad team look good.

    D dj_illness wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @mr.-t said:

    I disagree, some QB's complete an offense, they can make a bad team look good.

    and you think we have that qb that can complete an offense, and make us look good? against the Ravens?

    do tell.

  • @mr.-t said:

    I disagree, some QB's complete an offense, they can make a bad team look good.

    and you think we have that qb that can complete an offense, and make us look good? against the Ravens?

    do tell.

    Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @dj_illness said:

    and you think we have that qb that can complete an offense, and make us look good? against the Ravens?

    do tell.

    Not at the present but DA does not give us the best chance at winning. Go look at his history vs. the Ravens.

  • @dj_illness said:

    and you think we have that qb that can complete an offense, and make us look good? against the Ravens?

    do tell.

    Not at the present but DA does not give us the best chance at winning. Go look at his history vs. the Ravens.

    D dj_illness wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @mr.-t said:

    Not at the present but DA does not give us the best chance at winning. Go look at his history vs. the Ravens.

    fair enough. but i'm still saying for monday, it doesn't matter.

    but they will prolly INT DA several times (assuming he doesn't fumble and actually throws it that far)...and we'll never know what some one else could have done. (maybe in the 2nd half, but that's different)

    agree to disagree.

  • Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Zombo said:

    I think he beat the Ravens twice in 07 when we had a team.

    But I'm not against getting Quinn in there over the bye week and seeing if can get anything going with the young guys.

    I was all for continuity with Anderson, but it just keeps getting worse instead of better.

    Honestly I don't think either QB has much chance of getting this offense going and making a claim for next year.

    What I am interested in the rest of the season is seeing if the defense can improve, keep the games close and give us hope for next year. I know we aren't going to score a lot of points, but if we can get the scores in the 16-13, 13-10 range then I'll feel we are headed in the right direction defensively. And with KC, Oak & Det on the schedule , we should we a few of those games which hopefully will give the whole team some confidence, not just the defense.

    Zombo

    Sept. 30 2007 vs. Baltimore: The Browns jumped out to a 24-6 halftime lead over the Ravens thanks in part to a 78-yard touchdown pass from Anderson to Braylon Edwards. The 27-13 win gave the Browns their second home division victory in three weeks: 2.21 percent

    Nov. 18 2007 at Baltimore: A wild game all came down to a 51-yard Dawson field goal attempt as time expired that ricocheted off the left goal post and hit off the support bar of the uprights. The kick was ruled successful after originally being called no good. The Browns won the game, 33-30, on a 33-yard Dawson field goal in overtime:

    What has happened to DA? After such a great start, it makes you wonder what the hell is going on in his head.

  • busterB buster wrote on last edited by
    #23

    That whole season is biwildering.......WTF happened. I had so much hope going into 2008.......stupid me actually thought we'd win the division, forsure make the playoffs.