Skip to content

Mangini Article-CBS sports

The Browns Board
31 19 2.4k
  • My bottom line with the Browns is that success won't happen overnight, & while NOTHING has (seemingly) happened in 10 years, part of it has been constant change & upheaval. I sincerely believe in what he is doing regarding intelligent, high character players, & look forward to this off season & what it brings. Right now, we are starting 8 & 9 "backups" on each side of the ball. While we have far better depth than before, we are drastically in need of play makers. I'm still willing to give the man more than 8 games. I don't think there's a Coach out there who could have turned this around in 1 year.

    Give Mangini this...he committed to an ideal & is sticking to it. I admire his principles.

    Mike

  • If he was like the typical fan he would have changed week to week....hour to hour with some.

    Post to post with Windsock

  • The article makes me like the guy a little more as a human being. I'm still not sure what I think of him as a coach. I'm still baffled by his handling of the QB situation, for example. I'm willing to see how the rest of the season transpires.

    I do like the idea of looking for talent AND character so we have a team we can be proud to cheer for.

    This article also makes me wonder why we didn't hear this kind of Q and A from local Cleveland media. I thought the questions were direct and the answers, for the most part, were candid. Mangini dodged a few gracefully but overall the feeling was positive. My first thought whenever a head coach accepts a job with the Browns is along the lines of "I hope he knows what he's in for." By that I mean the brutal second guessing by the fans, fueled by the media. I think Mangini sounds like he knew what to expect and was prepared to handle it AND to ride out the storm.

  • Mangini likes Tupac better than Biggie?

    @bonedawg said:

    Mangini likes Tupac better than Biggie?

    doesn't every fat white guy?

  • The article makes me like the guy a little more as a human being. I'm still not sure what I think of him as a coach. I'm still baffled by his handling of the QB situation, for example. I'm willing to see how the rest of the season transpires.

    I do like the idea of looking for talent AND character so we have a team we can be proud to cheer for.

    This article also makes me wonder why we didn't hear this kind of Q and A from local Cleveland media. I thought the questions were direct and the answers, for the most part, were candid. Mangini dodged a few gracefully but overall the feeling was positive. My first thought whenever a head coach accepts a job with the Browns is along the lines of "I hope he knows what he's in for." By that I mean the brutal second guessing by the fans, fueled by the media. I think Mangini sounds like he knew what to expect and was prepared to handle it AND to ride out the storm.

    @kshutchins said:

    The article makes me like the guy a little more as a human being. I'm still not sure what I think of him as a coach. I'm still baffled by his handling of the QB situation, for example. I'm willing to see how the rest of the season transpires.

    I do like the idea of looking for talent AND character so we have a team we can be proud to cheer for.

    This article also makes me wonder why we didn't hear this kind of Q and A from local Cleveland media. I thought the questions were direct and the answers, for the most part, were candid. Mangini dodged a few gracefully but overall the feeling was positive. My first thought whenever a head coach accepts a job with the Browns is along the lines of "I hope he knows what he's in for." By that I mean the brutal second guessing by the fans, fueled by the media. I think Mangini sounds like he knew what to expect and was prepared to handle it AND to ride out the storm.

    Yup, you wonder why the Cleveland media were afraid to ask Mangini the tough questions.

  • @kshutchins said:

    The article makes me like the guy a little more as a human being. I'm still not sure what I think of him as a coach. I'm still baffled by his handling of the QB situation, for example. I'm willing to see how the rest of the season transpires.

    I do like the idea of looking for talent AND character so we have a team we can be proud to cheer for.

    This article also makes me wonder why we didn't hear this kind of Q and A from local Cleveland media. I thought the questions were direct and the answers, for the most part, were candid. Mangini dodged a few gracefully but overall the feeling was positive. My first thought whenever a head coach accepts a job with the Browns is along the lines of "I hope he knows what he's in for." By that I mean the brutal second guessing by the fans, fueled by the media. I think Mangini sounds like he knew what to expect and was prepared to handle it AND to ride out the storm.

    Yup, you wonder why the Cleveland media were afraid to ask Mangini the tough questions.

    @hoorta said:

    Yup, you wonder why the Cleveland media were afraid to ask Mangini the tough questions.

    Afraid? I don't think fear has anything to do with it. I don't think they know how to interview a person without going into attack mode. They lack genuine curiosity and approach an interview in a way that is rife with bias and designed to get the answers they want rather than the truth. The classic "have you quit beating your wife?"-style questions. They lack the objectivity that distinguishes outstanding journalists from the rest of the pack.

  • I don't believe the remark of not understanding Quinn's contract claues for a second, especially since he devulged that he scours over newspaper clippings and saves them in a binder. Now we are suppose to believe he hasn't read anything about Brady's contract in the newspapers and internet over the past couple of months? BS!

    Having said that, however, if even half of the other stuff is true then I have a new respect for his vision and principles but I still have my doubts this marriage to the Browns will work out in the long run.

  • good god, what a xxxxing lair. he's such an arrogant control freak prick asshole wanna be bill bullshit selling pathetic coach.

    those are the "correct" rumors, right? or did i miss something?

    @choco said:

    good god, what a xxxxing lair. he's such an arrogant control freak prick asshole wanna be bill bullshit selling pathetic coach.

    those are the "correct" rumors, right? or did i miss something?

    How do you know that is all lies, do you know him personally?

  • I don't believe the remark of not understanding Quinn's contract claues for a second, especially since he devulged that he scours over newspaper clippings and saves them in a binder. Now we are suppose to believe he hasn't read anything about Brady's contract in the newspapers and internet over the past couple of months? BS!

    Having said that, however, if even half of the other stuff is true then I have a new respect for his vision and principles but I still have my doubts this marriage to the Browns will work out in the long run.

    @dumasswhiteguy said:

    I don't believe the remark of not understanding Quinn's contract claues for a second, especially since he devulged that he scours over newspaper clippings and saves them in a binder. Now we are suppose to believe he hasn't read anything about Brady's contract in the newspapers and internet over the past couple of months? BS!

    Having said that, however, if even half of the other stuff is true then I have a new respect for his vision and principles but I still have my doubts this marriage to the Browns will work out in the long run.

    Kindof ironic that the original poster labled this article "the Truth" only to have to watch as the few remaining Mangini supporters now need to go out of their way to assert that he was lying.

    And if he's lying about that, what else is he lying about in this article or in other circumstances?

    Reports today have the Jets asserting that Magnini made the call on drafting Gholston. He probably lied to Lerner and said it wasn't his call just like he was forced to accept Favre as QB and name his son after him in order to coax Favre to the Jets.

    The bottom line here is that GM candidates are watching as Lerner and Mangini slander Kokinis and work to weasel out of paying his contract. The irony here is that by stating clearly that he didn't know of Quinn's incentives, Mangini may have just given Lerner the ability to fire HIM with cause and get out of his expensive contract too.

    Ironic but fitting.

  • @earl34 said:

    It's great when someone can go on the record in this much detail and still be considered a liar (or a "lair"). What about the above is not true?

    Taken at face value, you're not the least bit concerned that he didn't know something you and every single fan on this site did?

    Specifically that Quinn had some very lucrative contract escalators? And that triggering those salary increases stood to play a MAJOR role in the Browns cap equations (as one can't assume the Cap is dead and gone) cashflow for a struggling organization as well as the team's ability to trade Quinn for maximum value?

    If he's not a liar the fact that he doesn't have a clue about some very important contract details is an even BIGGER red flag, don't you think?

    This definitely doesn't sound like a guy who thinks he needs to change his approach - regardless of getting fired by NY, being on the cusp of being fired by the Browns, creating an environment that Browns insiders are telling reporters is toxic, creating a situation where free agents are telling their agents "anywhere but Cleveland" and driving away the best GM candidates after his two hand-picked trusted confidants were fired last week.

    If all of this is going according to his plan, then good for him. If not he might want to consider changing the method to his madness... but I didn't hear much of that in this interview.

    @joesixpat said:

    Taken at face value, you're not the least bit concerned that he didn't know something you and every single fan on this site did?

    Specifically that Quinn had some very lucrative contract escalators? And that triggering those salary increases stood to play a MAJOR role in the Browns cap equations (as one can't assume the Cap is dead and gone) cashflow for a struggling organization as well as the team's ability to trade Quinn for maximum value?

    If he's not a liar the fact that he doesn't have a clue about some very important contract details is an even BIGGER red flag, don't you think?

    This definitely doesn't sound like a guy who thinks he needs to change his approach - regardless of getting fired by NY, being on the cusp of being fired by the Browns, creating an environment that Browns insiders are telling reporters is toxic, creating a situation where free agents are telling their agents "anywhere but Cleveland" and driving away the best GM candidates after his two hand-picked trusted confidants were fired last week.

    If all of this is going according to his plan, then good for him. If not he might want to consider changing the method to his madness... but I didn't hear much of that in this interview.

    I could be wrong on this but I don't believe our backs are up against the cap.

    He benched Quinn because the guy never threw a pass over 5 yards.

    Hopefully if Quinn is our starter again he has regained the confidence to use the whole field.

    At this point the Browns organization like the Browns fans just want to win no mater how much money they have to pay their QB.

  • Sports journalism has long ago turned in to op-ed coverage.

  • @dumasswhiteguy said:

    I don't believe the remark of not understanding Quinn's contract claues for a second, especially since he devulged that he scours over newspaper clippings and saves them in a binder. Now we are suppose to believe he hasn't read anything about Brady's contract in the newspapers and internet over the past couple of months? BS!

    Having said that, however, if even half of the other stuff is true then I have a new respect for his vision and principles but I still have my doubts this marriage to the Browns will work out in the long run.

    Kindof ironic that the original poster labled this article "the Truth" only to have to watch as the few remaining Mangini supporters now need to go out of their way to assert that he was lying.

    And if he's lying about that, what else is he lying about in this article or in other circumstances?

    Reports today have the Jets asserting that Magnini made the call on drafting Gholston. He probably lied to Lerner and said it wasn't his call just like he was forced to accept Favre as QB and name his son after him in order to coax Favre to the Jets.

    The bottom line here is that GM candidates are watching as Lerner and Mangini slander Kokinis and work to weasel out of paying his contract. The irony here is that by stating clearly that he didn't know of Quinn's incentives, Mangini may have just given Lerner the ability to fire HIM with cause and get out of his expensive contract too.

    Ironic but fitting.

    @joesixpat said:

    Kindof ironic that the original poster labled this article "the Truth" only to have to watch as the few remaining Mangini supporters now need to go out of their way to assert that he was lying.

    And if he's lying about that, what else is he lying about in this article or in other circumstances?

    Reports today have the Jets asserting that Magnini made the call on drafting Gholston. He probably lied to Lerner and said it wasn't his call just like he was forced to accept Favre as QB and name his son after him in order to coax Favre to the Jets.

    The bottom line here is that GM candidates are watching as Lerner and Mangini slander Kokinis and work to weasel out of paying his contract. The irony here is that by stating clearly that he didn't know of Quinn's incentives, Mangini may have just given Lerner the ability to fire HIM with cause and get out of his expensive contract too.

    Ironic but fitting.

    For somebody who has his own team to follow, you seem to have an awful lot of time on your hands to follow Mangini from team to team and bash him. You're speculating on just about every point you make. How do you know what the relationship between Mangini and Favre was? How do you know what he represented to Lerner? I expect that Mangini made the call on Gholston. So what? You're PROBABLY a vitriolic, hate-filled moron but you'll never hear me say it.

  • @joesixpat said:

    Taken at face value, you're not the least bit concerned that he didn't know something you and every single fan on this site did?

    Specifically that Quinn had some very lucrative contract escalators? And that triggering those salary increases stood to play a MAJOR role in the Browns cap equations (as one can't assume the Cap is dead and gone) cashflow for a struggling organization as well as the team's ability to trade Quinn for maximum value?

    If he's not a liar the fact that he doesn't have a clue about some very important contract details is an even BIGGER red flag, don't you think?

    This definitely doesn't sound like a guy who thinks he needs to change his approach - regardless of getting fired by NY, being on the cusp of being fired by the Browns, creating an environment that Browns insiders are telling reporters is toxic, creating a situation where free agents are telling their agents "anywhere but Cleveland" and driving away the best GM candidates after his two hand-picked trusted confidants were fired last week.

    If all of this is going according to his plan, then good for him. If not he might want to consider changing the method to his madness... but I didn't hear much of that in this interview.

    I could be wrong on this but I don't believe our backs are up against the cap.

    He benched Quinn because the guy never threw a pass over 5 yards.

    Hopefully if Quinn is our starter again he has regained the confidence to use the whole field.

    At this point the Browns organization like the Browns fans just want to win no mater how much money they have to pay their QB.

    @reginabrownsfan said:

    I could be wrong on this but I don't believe our backs are up against the cap.

    Many people - and Coaches - make the mistake of thinking of it as a salary cap only issue. Indeed there may not be a salary cap next year.

    But the fact that Quinn's salary would bump up by $11 million MIGHT be a factor that some owners might consider when contemplating whether to trade for Quinn, don't you think?

    That would most certainly affect his ability to be traded, and/or what the Browns would get in return.

    If I were the owner of a team I would want my coach and defacto GM to be aware of such things.

    Lerner is also likely aware that he will have to overpay to attact players after this season regardless with many players reportedly telling their agents "anywhere but Cleveland". Saving that $11 million on Quinn will be a nice plus on his overall cashflow.

  • This article completely restored my faith in Mangini. So interesting. Not only is he a guy that you want running your team; I'd like to have a beer with him.

  • This article completely restored my faith in Mangini. So interesting. Not only is he a guy that you want running your team; I'd like to have a beer with him.

    @professor_g said:

    This article completely restored my faith in Mangini. So interesting. Not only is he a guy that you want running your team; I'd like to have a beer with him.

    Agreed!

    Mike

  • This article completely restored my faith in Mangini. So interesting. Not only is he a guy that you want running your team; I'd like to have a beer with him.

    @professor_g said:

    This article completely restored my faith in Mangini. So interesting. Not only is he a guy that you want running your team; I'd like to have a beer with him.

    George Kokinis was saying the same thing this time last year. 😆

  • @professor_g said:

    This article completely restored my faith in Mangini. So interesting. Not only is he a guy that you want running your team; I'd like to have a beer with him.

    George Kokinis was saying the same thing this time last year. 😆

    @joesixpat said:

    George Kokinis was saying the same thing this time last year. 😆

    George Kokinis needs to worry about the guy in the mirror first....