Skip to content

Mangini Fires Back

The Browns Board
21 15 1.8k
  • I'm pretty sure this confirms that Jamal Lewis can say whatever the f*ck he wants and nothing will happen to him.

    @theclevelandsound said:

    I'm pretty sure this confirms that Jamal Lewis can say whatever the f*ck he wants and nothing will happen to him.

    maybe he should have made those cellphone calls in college instead of lending his phone to his buddy

  • I'm pretty sure this confirms that Jamal Lewis can say whatever the f*ck he wants and nothing will happen to him.

    @theclevelandsound said:

    I'm pretty sure this confirms that Jamal Lewis can say whatever the f*ck he wants and nothing will happen to him.

    Two things at play here..

    1st, I agree with others who feel that Lewis might want to be placed on waivers in the hopes that a contender picks him up - hence his decision to be vocal on this issue. If Mangini thinks that's the case he's smart not to cut him loose. He's given in to that tactic in the past and that only encourages MORE insubordination among players who want to be cut or traded.

    But Lewis isn't alone. Apparently reporters as saying that have quietly confirmed Lewis' assessment that the practices are too hard

    Nearly every team would have 2-3 hour sessions. What you're doing in those sessions will vary greatly.

    Mangini is right that Belichick has his own fair share of tough practices. But Belichick has also earned the trust and respect of his teams, and he also knows when to let up on the gas pedal.

    It may be that Mangini doesn't know how to read his players and understand the phenonmenon of diminishing returns...

    ...and it may just be that Mangini hasn't earned the respect of his players.

    In fact I think most by now would agree that appears to be the case.

  • @theclevelandsound said:

    I'm pretty sure this confirms that Jamal Lewis can say whatever the f*ck he wants and nothing will happen to him.

    Two things at play here..

    1st, I agree with others who feel that Lewis might want to be placed on waivers in the hopes that a contender picks him up - hence his decision to be vocal on this issue. If Mangini thinks that's the case he's smart not to cut him loose. He's given in to that tactic in the past and that only encourages MORE insubordination among players who want to be cut or traded.

    But Lewis isn't alone. Apparently reporters as saying that have quietly confirmed Lewis' assessment that the practices are too hard

    Nearly every team would have 2-3 hour sessions. What you're doing in those sessions will vary greatly.

    Mangini is right that Belichick has his own fair share of tough practices. But Belichick has also earned the trust and respect of his teams, and he also knows when to let up on the gas pedal.

    It may be that Mangini doesn't know how to read his players and understand the phenonmenon of diminishing returns...

    ...and it may just be that Mangini hasn't earned the respect of his players.

    In fact I think most by now would agree that appears to be the case.

    @joesixpat said:

    Two things at play here..

    1st, I agree with others who feel that Lewis might want to be placed on waivers in the hopes that a contender picks him up - hence his decision to be vocal on this issue. If Mangini thinks that's the case he's smart not to cut him loose. He's given in to that tactic in the past and that only encourages MORE insubordination among players who want to be cut or traded.

    But Lewis isn't alone. Apparently reporters as saying that have quietly confirmed Lewis' assessment that the practices are too hard

    Nearly every team would have 2-3 hour sessions. What you're doing in those sessions will vary greatly.

    Mangini is right that Belichick has his own fair share of tough practices. But Belichick has also earned the trust and respect of his teams, and he also knows when to let up on the gas pedal.

    It may be that Mangini doesn't know how to read his players and understand the phenonmenon of diminishing returns...

    ...and it may just be that Mangini hasn't earned the respect of his players.

    In fact I think most by now would agree that appears to be the case.

    Mangini has a degree from a great institution. He's not stupid as you repeatedly try to point out. Respect of the players....yeah, we get it. You're convinced they don't respect him. Fine. Move along and take your Mangini-hate with you. That's your only purpose here. If the coach of the Browns wasn't Eric Mangini you wouldn't even be here.

  • Shut up and Play Jamal...

  • Q) And what group of players score the lowest on wonderlic test?

    A) Running Backs, there is the hole Jamal hit it!

  • @theclevelandsound said:

    I'm pretty sure this confirms that Jamal Lewis can say whatever the f*ck he wants and nothing will happen to him.

    Two things at play here..

    1st, I agree with others who feel that Lewis might want to be placed on waivers in the hopes that a contender picks him up - hence his decision to be vocal on this issue. If Mangini thinks that's the case he's smart not to cut him loose. He's given in to that tactic in the past and that only encourages MORE insubordination among players who want to be cut or traded.

    But Lewis isn't alone. Apparently reporters as saying that have quietly confirmed Lewis' assessment that the practices are too hard

    Nearly every team would have 2-3 hour sessions. What you're doing in those sessions will vary greatly.

    Mangini is right that Belichick has his own fair share of tough practices. But Belichick has also earned the trust and respect of his teams, and he also knows when to let up on the gas pedal.

    It may be that Mangini doesn't know how to read his players and understand the phenonmenon of diminishing returns...

    ...and it may just be that Mangini hasn't earned the respect of his players.

    In fact I think most by now would agree that appears to be the case.

    @joesixpat said:

    But Lewis isn't alone. Apparently reporters as saying that have quietly confirmed Lewis' assessment that the practices are too hard

    Any links???

    Quietly confirmed??? Dude....I know you don't like the guy, and I am not wild about him to be honest, but don't just sit here and make stuff up if you are.....if not....provide a little back-up.

    Not some message board crap....real confirmation. I would be interested to see it.

  • @joesixpat said:

    Two things at play here..

    1st, I agree with others who feel that Lewis might want to be placed on waivers in the hopes that a contender picks him up - hence his decision to be vocal on this issue. If Mangini thinks that's the case he's smart not to cut him loose. He's given in to that tactic in the past and that only encourages MORE insubordination among players who want to be cut or traded.

    But Lewis isn't alone. Apparently reporters as saying that have quietly confirmed Lewis' assessment that the practices are too hard

    Nearly every team would have 2-3 hour sessions. What you're doing in those sessions will vary greatly.

    Mangini is right that Belichick has his own fair share of tough practices. But Belichick has also earned the trust and respect of his teams, and he also knows when to let up on the gas pedal.

    It may be that Mangini doesn't know how to read his players and understand the phenonmenon of diminishing returns...

    ...and it may just be that Mangini hasn't earned the respect of his players.

    In fact I think most by now would agree that appears to be the case.

    Mangini has a degree from a great institution. He's not stupid as you repeatedly try to point out. Respect of the players....yeah, we get it. You're convinced they don't respect him. Fine. Move along and take your Mangini-hate with you. That's your only purpose here. If the coach of the Browns wasn't Eric Mangini you wouldn't even be here.

    @earl34 said:

    Mangini has a degree from a great institution. He's not stupid as you repeatedly try to point out. Respect of the players....yeah, we get it. You're convinced they don't respect him. Fine. Move along and take your Mangini-hate with you. That's your only purpose here. If the coach of the Browns wasn't Eric Mangini you wouldn't even be here.

    Well, I suppose you could be right. This could be a sign tht the players DO respect him and that the practices aren't all that hard.

    Because as we all know Jamal Lewis has the reputation of being a lazy troublemaker.

    But it seems to me that all of this would be a very funny way of his players showing that they respect him and/or that Mangini has the common sense to know when to use the carrot and when to use the stick.

    I don't see how this could be interepreted differently but you apparently do and I respect that.

    🙂

  • @earl34 said:

    Mangini has a degree from a great institution. He's not stupid as you repeatedly try to point out. Respect of the players....yeah, we get it. You're convinced they don't respect him. Fine. Move along and take your Mangini-hate with you. That's your only purpose here. If the coach of the Browns wasn't Eric Mangini you wouldn't even be here.

    Well, I suppose you could be right. This could be a sign tht the players DO respect him and that the practices aren't all that hard.

    Because as we all know Jamal Lewis has the reputation of being a lazy troublemaker.

    But it seems to me that all of this would be a very funny way of his players showing that they respect him and/or that Mangini has the common sense to know when to use the carrot and when to use the stick.

    I don't see how this could be interepreted differently but you apparently do and I respect that.

    🙂

    @joesixpat said:

    I don't see how this could be interepreted differently but you apparently do and I respect that.

    I never said that I was interpreting it differently; I just stated that you're here for one reason and one reason only: to point out the negatives of Eric Mangini. In all of your posts, you make assumptions based on what you want to believe rather than first hand information.

    For all we know, you're right, they don't respect Mangini but you continuing to drone on like a tired record straight off of the ESPN airwaves while following your former assistant coach to his second team removed from yours is just a tired commentary on your agenda here.

    Show me a single post that you have authored that isn't spun against the coach and where you say anything positive about his abilities and I will gladly eat crow. I am not asking you to like the guy but if you can't show some degree of even-handedness in your assessments then you're no better than the loudmouths on the radio or the silly Steeler fans who come in here to gloat over their silly towels and their team.

    You have a good team and a good owner who has built not only a good organization but a true "NFL Destination" in Foxboro. You can take pride in that. Eric Mangini is not Bill Belicheck and I may be one of the few people that don't think he's trying to be. What I am telling you is WE GET IT. Eric Mangini isn't this. Eric Mangini isn't that. GREAT! You've made your point OVER and OVER and OVER.

    I know for a fact that Eric Mangini did not lose his players down the stretch last season. I don't have that on second or third hand information. I have that on FIRST hand information. You want to know the best thing I've learned about EM? He doesn't care what you think.

    There are NFL people who don't like Eric Mangini but there are also more than a few who think he does have what it takes and those are people whose opinions I respect.

  • @theclevelandsound said:

    I'm pretty sure this confirms that Jamal Lewis can say whatever the f*ck he wants and nothing will happen to him.

    Two things at play here..

    1st, I agree with others who feel that Lewis might want to be placed on waivers in the hopes that a contender picks him up - hence his decision to be vocal on this issue. If Mangini thinks that's the case he's smart not to cut him loose. He's given in to that tactic in the past and that only encourages MORE insubordination among players who want to be cut or traded.

    But Lewis isn't alone. Apparently reporters as saying that have quietly confirmed Lewis' assessment that the practices are too hard

    Nearly every team would have 2-3 hour sessions. What you're doing in those sessions will vary greatly.

    Mangini is right that Belichick has his own fair share of tough practices. But Belichick has also earned the trust and respect of his teams, and he also knows when to let up on the gas pedal.

    It may be that Mangini doesn't know how to read his players and understand the phenonmenon of diminishing returns...

    ...and it may just be that Mangini hasn't earned the respect of his players.

    In fact I think most by now would agree that appears to be the case.

    @joesixpat said:

    Two things at play here..

    1st, I agree with others who feel that Lewis might want to be placed on waivers in the hopes that a contender picks him up - hence his decision to be vocal on this issue. If Mangini thinks that's the case he's smart not to cut him loose. He's given in to that tactic in the past and that only encourages MORE insubordination among players who want to be cut or traded.

    But Lewis isn't alone. Apparently reporters as saying that have quietly confirmed Lewis' assessment that the practices are too hard

    Nearly every team would have 2-3 hour sessions. What you're doing in those sessions will vary greatly.

    Mangini is right that Belichick has his own fair share of tough practices. But Belichick has also earned the trust and respect of his teams, and he also knows when to let up on the gas pedal.

    It may be that Mangini doesn't know how to read his players and understand the phenonmenon of diminishing returns...

    ...and it may just be that Mangini hasn't earned the respect of his players.

    In fact I think most by now would agree that appears to be the case.

    I'm tired of this talk about Mangini not earning the respect of his players. Outside of a few comments from JL, I haven't seen one peice of credible information stating that even an eighth of the team disrespects him. As a matter of fact, from the press conferences I've seen and interviews on a multitude of websites, things seem to be quite the opposite. When you're losing, people get frustrated, and they say things. That I understand. But, going through all the locker room interviews and press conferences, the players are voicing their support of Mangini. I keep reading posts that say "fans are quietly voicing support for JL" or "so-and-so said that he didn't like the way things were run", but there are never any links to a hard source to back it up. It seems to be that the only people complaining are fans, and most of them are not even Cleveland fans.

    All of that was a roundabout way of saying: can it, Joe. Unless you can provide some sources.

  • @joesixpat said:

    But Lewis isn't alone. Apparently reporters as saying that have quietly confirmed Lewis' assessment that the practices are too hard

    Any links???

    Quietly confirmed??? Dude....I know you don't like the guy, and I am not wild about him to be honest, but don't just sit here and make stuff up if you are.....if not....provide a little back-up.

    Not some message board crap....real confirmation. I would be interested to see it.

    @ballpeen said:

    Any links???

    Quietly confirmed??? Dude....I know you don't like the guy, and I am not wild about him to be honest, but don't just sit here and make stuff up if you are.....if not....provide a little back-up.

    Not some message board crap....real confirmation. I would be interested to see it.

    Not trying to pick on you..but does a link make it somehow more factual? Media makes crap up all the time

  • @ballpeen said:

    Any links???

    Quietly confirmed??? Dude....I know you don't like the guy, and I am not wild about him to be honest, but don't just sit here and make stuff up if you are.....if not....provide a little back-up.

    Not some message board crap....real confirmation. I would be interested to see it.

    Not trying to pick on you..but does a link make it somehow more factual? Media makes crap up all the time

    @sez.ej said:

    Media makes crap up all the time

    Good point, but so do guys on message boards, so we'll take that evil over the other one.

  • @joesixpat said:

    But Lewis isn't alone. Apparently reporters as saying that have quietly confirmed Lewis' assessment that the practices are too hard

    Any links???

    Quietly confirmed??? Dude....I know you don't like the guy, and I am not wild about him to be honest, but don't just sit here and make stuff up if you are.....if not....provide a little back-up.

    Not some message board crap....real confirmation. I would be interested to see it.

    @ballpeen said:

    Any links???

    Quietly confirmed??? Dude....I know you don't like the guy, and I am not wild about him to be honest, but don't just sit here and make stuff up if you are.....if not....provide a little back-up.

    Not some message board crap....real confirmation. I would be interested to see it.

    Well, I know it's not much but.... http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...th-jamal-lewis/

    Other Browns players agree with Jamal Lewis

    Browns running back Jamal Lewis said earlier today that coach Eric Mangini has worked the team too hard.

    Some of you wondered whether Lewis was a lone voice in the wilderness, or whether he's saying what the rest of his teammates are thinking.

    Per a league source, it's the latter.

    At one point this year, prior to the overtime loss to the Bengals, Mangini lightened up a bit. Since then, however, he has reverted to his prior ways, and the players generally don't like it.

    It remains to be seen whether any of the other Browns will chime in, too.

    I guess they read PFT too... and decided they SHOULD chime in... literally

    .... and this: http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/70071987.html

    Anyone wondering whether running back Jamal Lewis was speaking for his Browns teammates Thursday when he accused coach Eric Mangini of overworking his players need only have witnessed the locker room scene 24 hours later.

    While Lewis, surrounded by media, was trying to put to rest his scathing remarks, several teammates chanted, ''JLew! JLew!'' Among the loudest were tight end Robert Royal and fullback Lawrence Vickers, who climbed onto a chair next to Lewis to help lead the cheers.

    Judging from the roar, it was clear that Lewis is their hero.

    ''I got support,'' Lewis said. ''Does this look like a divided locker room to y'all? Huh, does it? No.''

    No one has ever questioned whether the locker room is divided, unless he's referring to a split between the 26 new Browns, including now nine ex-New York Jets, and the holdovers.

    I guess we can entertain the possiblity that Mangini, is building team camraderie by creating a situation where they'd shun him and all rally around a player who just announced his retirement, but when a player publicly disrespects the coach and the players enthusiastically chant his name, does that sound to you like the Coach is in control of this team and that they're all playing hard for that coach?

    Has anyone reported players in the locker room chanting "Mangini! Mangini! Mangini"

    I hate to be the guy to break this to you all but it doesn't seem like you read your own local sports pages.

  • Frankly, I've never had much respect for the Cleveland media where the Browns are concerned.

  • When the players are always in the right position and execute the fundamentals such as blocking, catching, tackling you can ease up on the practice time. But, when they make fundamental mistakes there is no choice, you keep working at it.

  • I wonder how Jamal would like working 50 hours a week with no 8 bedroom house, bmw, or shiney jewerly to come home to at the end of the day like the other 99% of Americans that contribute to his wealth have to do. I dont know about anyone else but I rather put in 8 hours of pratice a week and make millions then the other option which is putting in 40 hours a week of hard labor just to make a thousand bucks.

  • @joesixpat said:

    But Lewis isn't alone. Apparently reporters as saying that have quietly confirmed Lewis' assessment that the practices are too hard

    Any links???

    Quietly confirmed??? Dude....I know you don't like the guy, and I am not wild about him to be honest, but don't just sit here and make stuff up if you are.....if not....provide a little back-up.

    Not some message board crap....real confirmation. I would be interested to see it.

    @ballpeen said:

    Any links???

    Quietly confirmed??? Dude....I know you don't like the guy, and I am not wild about him to be honest, but don't just sit here and make stuff up if you are.....if not....provide a little back-up.

    Not some message board crap....real confirmation. I would be interested to see it.

    Thanks for saying that.

    One of the (many) things I like of the Browns Board is the fact that most of the news that are reported here are confirmed with actual links.

    Let's keep it like that!

    (and thanks to JoeSixPat for posting the link)