Skip to content

Thanksgiving

The Browns Board
70 18 3.2k
  • @yosemitejam said:

    sounds like a tasty way to cook and serve the bird....especially since grocers are practicallly giving them away at .20/lb

    Well, since my kids have turkey at their dad's place, I do something different. The most recent favorite is apricot glazed cornish hens with sausage/apple/cranberry stuffing. The hens are rubbed with salt and cayenne pepper before being glazed so there's a nice subtle zip to offset the sweetness of the glaze. Served with sweet potato souffle', green pea casserole, cranberry relish and homemade "fairy" biscuits.

    I've also had pork tenderloin with wild rice, vegetables, biscuits and homemade hot applesauce.

    The biscuits, btw, are the easiest ever and will stand up favorably to any good homemade southern biscuits: 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour and 1 cup of heavy cream. Blend with a fork. Flatten by hand. Cut out. Bake 9 minutes at 500 degrees. Perfect every time.

    Yummy.

    @kshutchins said:

    Well, since my kids have turkey at their dad's place, I do something different. The most recent favorite is apricot glazed cornish hens with sausage/apple/cranberry stuffing. The hens are rubbed with salt and cayenne pepper before being glazed so there's a nice subtle zip to offset the sweetness of the glaze. Served with sweet potato souffle', green pea casserole, cranberry relish and homemade "fairy" biscuits.

    I've also had pork tenderloin with wild rice, vegetables, biscuits and homemade hot applesauce.

    The biscuits, btw, are the easiest ever and will stand up favorably to any good homemade southern biscuits: 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour and 1 cup of heavy cream. Blend with a fork. Flatten by hand. Cut out. Bake 9 minutes at 500 degrees. Perfect every time.

    Yummy.

    I wish that you lived in Dayton, O. and we were friends, because that sounds wonderful. :}

  • We have had a party on Thanksgiving for 16 years. This year we decided it was time to take a break. We always rented out a camp with a huge kitchen and 60 cabins for people to stay in. We have had as many as 300 for dinner and have had people come from as far away as Brazil. Two years ago Michael Franti showed up along with his band and rocked out along with 12 other great bands we already had. It's always been a hell of alot of fun but takes alot of effort to put on and clean up afterwards. We were even able to come up with over a grand every year for a scholarship for our volunteer fire dept.

    So my wife and I are having dinner at our house for the first time. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, candied carrots, apple and pumpkin pie. Looks like we are still going to be working to make this, eat it all, and somehow get off the coach and clean it all up.

    Have a good holiday.

  • We have had a party on Thanksgiving for 16 years. This year we decided it was time to take a break. We always rented out a camp with a huge kitchen and 60 cabins for people to stay in. We have had as many as 300 for dinner and have had people come from as far away as Brazil. Two years ago Michael Franti showed up along with his band and rocked out along with 12 other great bands we already had. It's always been a hell of alot of fun but takes alot of effort to put on and clean up afterwards. We were even able to come up with over a grand every year for a scholarship for our volunteer fire dept.

    So my wife and I are having dinner at our house for the first time. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, candied carrots, apple and pumpkin pie. Looks like we are still going to be working to make this, eat it all, and somehow get off the coach and clean it all up.

    Have a good holiday.

    @the-fan-of-steel said:

    We have had a party on Thanksgiving for 16 years. This year we decided it was time to take a break. We always rented out a camp with a huge kitchen and 60 cabins for people to stay in. We have had as many as 300 for dinner and have had people come from as far away as Brazil. Two years ago Michael Franti showed up along with his band and rocked out along with 12 other great bands we already had. It's always been a hell of alot of fun but takes alot of effort to put on and clean up afterwards. We were even able to come up with over a grand every year for a scholarship for our volunteer fire dept.

    So my wife and I are having dinner at our house for the first time. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, candied carrots, apple and pumpkin pie. Looks like we are still going to be working to make this, eat it all, and somehow get off the coach and clean it all up.

    Have a good holiday.

    Enjoy, sounds nice.

  • @kshutchins said:

    Well, since my kids have turkey at their dad's place, I do something different. The most recent favorite is apricot glazed cornish hens with sausage/apple/cranberry stuffing. The hens are rubbed with salt and cayenne pepper before being glazed so there's a nice subtle zip to offset the sweetness of the glaze. Served with sweet potato souffle', green pea casserole, cranberry relish and homemade "fairy" biscuits.

    I've also had pork tenderloin with wild rice, vegetables, biscuits and homemade hot applesauce.

    The biscuits, btw, are the easiest ever and will stand up favorably to any good homemade southern biscuits: 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour and 1 cup of heavy cream. Blend with a fork. Flatten by hand. Cut out. Bake 9 minutes at 500 degrees. Perfect every time.

    Yummy.

    I wish that you lived in Dayton, O. and we were friends, because that sounds wonderful. :}

    @daydawg19 said:

    I wish that you lived in Dayton, O. and we were friends, because that sounds wonderful. :}

    Recipes available on request. 🙂

  • We have had a party on Thanksgiving for 16 years. This year we decided it was time to take a break. We always rented out a camp with a huge kitchen and 60 cabins for people to stay in. We have had as many as 300 for dinner and have had people come from as far away as Brazil. Two years ago Michael Franti showed up along with his band and rocked out along with 12 other great bands we already had. It's always been a hell of alot of fun but takes alot of effort to put on and clean up afterwards. We were even able to come up with over a grand every year for a scholarship for our volunteer fire dept.

    So my wife and I are having dinner at our house for the first time. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, candied carrots, apple and pumpkin pie. Looks like we are still going to be working to make this, eat it all, and somehow get off the coach and clean it all up.

    Have a good holiday.

    @the-fan-of-steel said:

    ... get off the coach ...

    ::letting my imagination get carried away.:: 🙄

  • We have had a party on Thanksgiving for 16 years. This year we decided it was time to take a break. We always rented out a camp with a huge kitchen and 60 cabins for people to stay in. We have had as many as 300 for dinner and have had people come from as far away as Brazil. Two years ago Michael Franti showed up along with his band and rocked out along with 12 other great bands we already had. It's always been a hell of alot of fun but takes alot of effort to put on and clean up afterwards. We were even able to come up with over a grand every year for a scholarship for our volunteer fire dept.

    So my wife and I are having dinner at our house for the first time. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, candied carrots, apple and pumpkin pie. Looks like we are still going to be working to make this, eat it all, and somehow get off the coach and clean it all up.

    Have a good holiday.

    @the-fan-of-steel said:

    We have had a party on Thanksgiving for 16 years. This year we decided it was time to take a break. We always rented out a camp with a huge kitchen and 60 cabins for people to stay in. We have had as many as 300 for dinner and have had people come from as far away as Brazil. Two years ago Michael Franti showed up along with his band and rocked out along with 12 other great bands we already had. It's always been a hell of alot of fun but takes alot of effort to put on and clean up afterwards. We were even able to come up with over a grand every year for a scholarship for our volunteer fire dept.

    So my wife and I are having dinner at our house for the first time. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, candied carrots, apple and pumpkin pie. Looks like we are still going to be working to make this, eat it all, and somehow get off the coach and clean it all up.

    Have a good holiday.

    Have a good holiday to you to and thank you!

  • @daydawg19 said:

    I wish that you lived in Dayton, O. and we were friends, because that sounds wonderful. :}

    Recipes available on request. 🙂

    @kshutchins said:

    Recipes available on request. 🙂

    Hey Kathy what is heavy cream and where about would it be at kroger?

  • @kshutchins said:

    Recipes available on request. 🙂

    Hey Kathy what is heavy cream and where about would it be at kroger?

    @medicineman said:

    Hey Kathy what is heavy cream and where about would it be at kroger?

    In the dairy section around where they have half and half or rediwhip. Look for "heavy whipping cream" in pint size containers.

  • @kshutchins said:

    Recipes available on request. 🙂

    Hey Kathy what is heavy cream and where about would it be at kroger?

    @medicineman said:

    Hey Kathy what is heavy cream and where about would it be at kroger?

    Duh, Medman. 🤔

  • @medicineman said:

    Hey Kathy what is heavy cream and where about would it be at kroger?

    In the dairy section around where they have half and half or rediwhip. Look for "heavy whipping cream" in pint size containers.

    @kshutchins said:

    In the dairy section around where they have half and half or rediwhip. Look for "heavy whipping cream" in pint size containers.

    Thank you. Ill let you know how they turn out.

  • @kshutchins said:

    In the dairy section around where they have half and half or rediwhip. Look for "heavy whipping cream" in pint size containers.

    Thank you. Ill let you know how they turn out.

    @medicineman said:

    Thank you. Ill let you know how they turn out.

    Sorry Medman, just could not resist. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

  • @medicineman said:

    Thank you. Ill let you know how they turn out.

    Sorry Medman, just could not resist. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

    @daydawg19 said:

    Sorry Medman, just could not resist. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

    Its all good. I noticed what I did afterwards but said to hell with it. Have a happy holiday yourself to bro and to everbody else also. (yes even the Pittsburgh fans)

  • @medicineman said:

    Thank you. Ill let you know how they turn out.

    Sorry Medman, just could not resist. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

    @daydawg19 said:

    Sorry Medman, just could not resist. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

    Also, please pm me, have similar professions and would like to share our medical interests.

  • Were having the whole family in, we are preparing 2 hams and a big bird along with homemade noodles and all of the fixings. I propbably wont have room for dessert.

    I need to loose about 6 lbs before thursday so I can glutton myself. Forget about it I will start the diet the week after.

  • i'll be in pittsburgh. hooray me.

  • i'll be in pittsburgh. hooray me.

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    i'll be in pittsburgh. hooray me.

    Ill keep you in mind. Watch your butt dude really. They mite mistake you for a relative.

  • Grinder said:

    Im going to deep fry a frozen turkey!

    I am a volunteer fire fighter and I can tell you for certain that we love this stuff. Not people catching their houses on fire exactly, but we love dealing with fire, making fire, making explosive fires like in this vid... I suggest that if you are an adrenalin junkie and live in a small town where you have volunteer FFs, join up.

    That being said, people are idiots. If anyone did this on their porch or in or close to their house they are dumber than a bag of rocks. We will put out your fire, but you can be certain that you are a world class idiot.

  • Grinder said:

    Im going to deep fry a frozen turkey!

    I am a volunteer fire fighter and I can tell you for certain that we love this stuff. Not people catching their houses on fire exactly, but we love dealing with fire, making fire, making explosive fires like in this vid... I suggest that if you are an adrenalin junkie and live in a small town where you have volunteer FFs, join up.

    That being said, people are idiots. If anyone did this on their porch or in or close to their house they are dumber than a bag of rocks. We will put out your fire, but you can be certain that you are a world class idiot.

    @the-fan-of-steel said:

    I am a volunteer fire fighter and I can tell you for certain that we love this stuff. Not people catching their houses on fire exactly, but we love dealing with fire, making fire, making explosive fires like in this vid... I suggest that if you are an adrenalin junkie and live in a small town where you have volunteer FFs, join up.

    That being said, people are idiots. If anyone did this on their porch or in or close to their house they are dumber than a bag of rocks. We will put out your fire, but you can be certain that you are a world class idiot.

    I was thinking the same thing. I really hate to think somebody would do this in their home. Its more than being lazy its stupidity.

  • I'll add my 2 gibblets worth if nobody minds.

    I'll make the usual suspects, giant turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy, bread basket, pies 1 pumpkin 1 deep dish pecan pie, cranberry sauce, candied yams, brussel sprouts with melted butter (gotta have them brussel sprouts) and my stuffing that was handed down from my great grandmother. It does not have bread. If you wanna know here it is:

    2 boxes crackers--crushed

    in large sauce pan, scaled a bit over 1/2 gallon milk

    in small sauce pan, melt 1 stick margarine, parsley, onion powder, celery leaves and the very thin parts of the celery they're attached to and 3-4 tsp poultry seasoning

    Pour milk over crackers and mix.

    Add the margarine and other stuff from small pan.

    Add 2 eggs.

    Add a handful and 1/2 of ground veal or ground pork (not sausage).

    Mix thoroughly and put in 13 by 9 pan and bake covered 1 1/2 to 2 hours at 350.

    It's hard to use measuements since I just judge amounts like I was taught. Sorry.

    I have never shared this recipe with ANYONE. Since my Mom passed away in July of this year, and it came from her grandma, I am the only one who has it. Hope it was okay with y'all if I share it. It's great!

    Have a great and safe Thanksgiving everyone. Especially those of you deep frying the turkey 😮 .

    May we all remember to be thankful for something or someone.

    Heidi

  • @the-fan-of-steel said:

    ... get off the coach ...

    ::letting my imagination get carried away.:: 🙄

    @kshutchins said:

    ::letting my imagination get carried away.:: 🙄

    After reading your post about apricot glazed cornish hens with sausage/apple/cranberry stuffing. The hens are rubbed with salt and cayenne pepper before being glazed so there's a nice subtle zip to offset the sweetness of the glaze. Served with sweet potato souffle', green pea casserole, cranberry relish and homemade "fairy" biscuits.... and you are not married? My wife would be jealous of my thoughts. 😍 And you like football. Damn. My wife is a Patriot fan and I thought I would never survive this. now I'm feeling this... something... about a browns fan I have never met. Good on you girl. You sound cool. Pssst. I will deny I ever said any of this.