Skip to content

Thanksgiving

The Browns Board
70 18 3.2k
  • i'll be in pittsburgh. hooray me.

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    i'll be in pittsburgh. hooray me.

    Ill keep you in mind. Watch your butt dude really. They mite mistake you for a relative.

  • Grinder said:

    Im going to deep fry a frozen turkey!

    I am a volunteer fire fighter and I can tell you for certain that we love this stuff. Not people catching their houses on fire exactly, but we love dealing with fire, making fire, making explosive fires like in this vid... I suggest that if you are an adrenalin junkie and live in a small town where you have volunteer FFs, join up.

    That being said, people are idiots. If anyone did this on their porch or in or close to their house they are dumber than a bag of rocks. We will put out your fire, but you can be certain that you are a world class idiot.

  • Grinder said:

    Im going to deep fry a frozen turkey!

    I am a volunteer fire fighter and I can tell you for certain that we love this stuff. Not people catching their houses on fire exactly, but we love dealing with fire, making fire, making explosive fires like in this vid... I suggest that if you are an adrenalin junkie and live in a small town where you have volunteer FFs, join up.

    That being said, people are idiots. If anyone did this on their porch or in or close to their house they are dumber than a bag of rocks. We will put out your fire, but you can be certain that you are a world class idiot.

    @the-fan-of-steel said:

    I am a volunteer fire fighter and I can tell you for certain that we love this stuff. Not people catching their houses on fire exactly, but we love dealing with fire, making fire, making explosive fires like in this vid... I suggest that if you are an adrenalin junkie and live in a small town where you have volunteer FFs, join up.

    That being said, people are idiots. If anyone did this on their porch or in or close to their house they are dumber than a bag of rocks. We will put out your fire, but you can be certain that you are a world class idiot.

    I was thinking the same thing. I really hate to think somebody would do this in their home. Its more than being lazy its stupidity.

  • I'll add my 2 gibblets worth if nobody minds.

    I'll make the usual suspects, giant turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy, bread basket, pies 1 pumpkin 1 deep dish pecan pie, cranberry sauce, candied yams, brussel sprouts with melted butter (gotta have them brussel sprouts) and my stuffing that was handed down from my great grandmother. It does not have bread. If you wanna know here it is:

    2 boxes crackers--crushed

    in large sauce pan, scaled a bit over 1/2 gallon milk

    in small sauce pan, melt 1 stick margarine, parsley, onion powder, celery leaves and the very thin parts of the celery they're attached to and 3-4 tsp poultry seasoning

    Pour milk over crackers and mix.

    Add the margarine and other stuff from small pan.

    Add 2 eggs.

    Add a handful and 1/2 of ground veal or ground pork (not sausage).

    Mix thoroughly and put in 13 by 9 pan and bake covered 1 1/2 to 2 hours at 350.

    It's hard to use measuements since I just judge amounts like I was taught. Sorry.

    I have never shared this recipe with ANYONE. Since my Mom passed away in July of this year, and it came from her grandma, I am the only one who has it. Hope it was okay with y'all if I share it. It's great!

    Have a great and safe Thanksgiving everyone. Especially those of you deep frying the turkey 😮 .

    May we all remember to be thankful for something or someone.

    Heidi

  • @the-fan-of-steel said:

    ... get off the coach ...

    ::letting my imagination get carried away.:: 🙄

    @kshutchins said:

    ::letting my imagination get carried away.:: 🙄

    After reading your post about apricot glazed cornish hens with sausage/apple/cranberry stuffing. The hens are rubbed with salt and cayenne pepper before being glazed so there's a nice subtle zip to offset the sweetness of the glaze. Served with sweet potato souffle', green pea casserole, cranberry relish and homemade "fairy" biscuits.... and you are not married? My wife would be jealous of my thoughts. 😍 And you like football. Damn. My wife is a Patriot fan and I thought I would never survive this. now I'm feeling this... something... about a browns fan I have never met. Good on you girl. You sound cool. Pssst. I will deny I ever said any of this.

  • We LOVE Thanksgiving!!!

    Football, and the big dinner.

    Friends from N.C. are coming up for a couple days to stay with us

    after Thurs....

    We'll cook up a big, fresh bird. I want to stuff it this year,

    AND make a batch of dressing on the side...

    Homemade, God Bless America bread dressing - a couple loaves of bread, celery, sage,

    salt, mushrooms, turkey broth...

    I look forward to getting the gizzards every year...

    well, nobody else ever wants em... GGG

    Yams, mashed potatoes, whole berry cranberry sauce, homemade pumpkin pie,

    brown sugar/bacon baked beans, pecan pie with good coffee, fresh baked rolls...

    oh boy oh boy oh boy.

    The easy rolls are the frozen dinner rolls by Rhodes.

  • I'll add my 2 gibblets worth if nobody minds.

    I'll make the usual suspects, giant turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy, bread basket, pies 1 pumpkin 1 deep dish pecan pie, cranberry sauce, candied yams, brussel sprouts with melted butter (gotta have them brussel sprouts) and my stuffing that was handed down from my great grandmother. It does not have bread. If you wanna know here it is:

    2 boxes crackers--crushed

    in large sauce pan, scaled a bit over 1/2 gallon milk

    in small sauce pan, melt 1 stick margarine, parsley, onion powder, celery leaves and the very thin parts of the celery they're attached to and 3-4 tsp poultry seasoning

    Pour milk over crackers and mix.

    Add the margarine and other stuff from small pan.

    Add 2 eggs.

    Add a handful and 1/2 of ground veal or ground pork (not sausage).

    Mix thoroughly and put in 13 by 9 pan and bake covered 1 1/2 to 2 hours at 350.

    It's hard to use measuements since I just judge amounts like I was taught. Sorry.

    I have never shared this recipe with ANYONE. Since my Mom passed away in July of this year, and it came from her grandma, I am the only one who has it. Hope it was okay with y'all if I share it. It's great!

    Have a great and safe Thanksgiving everyone. Especially those of you deep frying the turkey 😮 .

    May we all remember to be thankful for something or someone.

    Heidi

    @cowsrus said:

    It's hard to use measuements since I just judge amounts like I was taught. Sorry.

    No problem...that is what cooking is all about. When baking you have to go by the formula if you want it to come out. When using a recipe...that is just a rough guide IMO. No cook measures stuff to precise measures...the fun is to allow the flair of the day take you where you want to go.

    I love pecan pie...try adding some Kahlua in to the mix, or just drizzle some over the top, or infuse some in to your whipped cream.

    Diabetes or not...I am going to have to get one of those. We have a bake shop where pie is the specialty...I am sure I can still get one ordered for a Wed pick-up.

    That or....what time are you slicing the pie?? 😉

  • Wait, some thoughts just thunked me !

    We could raise turkeys next year for the neighborhood....

    I could start wild turkeys out in the woods around the bog,

    with plenty of corn to feed them...

    and plant wild seed grasses the turkeys like, ...

    maybe grow cranberries in the bog...

    Kahlua in pecan pie? What?

    Hmmm.... that IS interesting...

    But I think pecan pie is like chocolate - adding anything

    to it just takes away from it.... GGG

  • But I think pecan pie is like chocolate - adding anything

    to it just takes away from it.... GGG

    You do know there was a time when somebody said, " Use pecans in a pie? Doing anything but eating them right out of the shell just takes away from it.".... 😉

    Try a little drizzle over a big bite...bet you go the fully monty after that.

  • I'll add my 2 gibblets worth if nobody minds.

    I'll make the usual suspects, giant turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy, bread basket, pies 1 pumpkin 1 deep dish pecan pie, cranberry sauce, candied yams, brussel sprouts with melted butter (gotta have them brussel sprouts) and my stuffing that was handed down from my great grandmother. It does not have bread. If you wanna know here it is:

    2 boxes crackers--crushed

    in large sauce pan, scaled a bit over 1/2 gallon milk

    in small sauce pan, melt 1 stick margarine, parsley, onion powder, celery leaves and the very thin parts of the celery they're attached to and 3-4 tsp poultry seasoning

    Pour milk over crackers and mix.

    Add the margarine and other stuff from small pan.

    Add 2 eggs.

    Add a handful and 1/2 of ground veal or ground pork (not sausage).

    Mix thoroughly and put in 13 by 9 pan and bake covered 1 1/2 to 2 hours at 350.

    It's hard to use measuements since I just judge amounts like I was taught. Sorry.

    I have never shared this recipe with ANYONE. Since my Mom passed away in July of this year, and it came from her grandma, I am the only one who has it. Hope it was okay with y'all if I share it. It's great!

    Have a great and safe Thanksgiving everyone. Especially those of you deep frying the turkey 😮 .

    May we all remember to be thankful for something or someone.

    Heidi

    @cowsrus said:

    I'll add my 2 gibblets worth if nobody minds.

    I'll make the usual suspects, giant turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy, bread basket, pies 1 pumpkin 1 deep dish pecan pie, cranberry sauce, candied yams, brussel sprouts with melted butter (gotta have them brussel sprouts) and my stuffing that was handed down from my great grandmother. It does not have bread. If you wanna know here it is:

    2 boxes crackers--crushed

    in large sauce pan, scaled a bit over 1/2 gallon milk

    in small sauce pan, melt 1 stick margarine, parsley, onion powder, celery leaves and the very thin parts of the celery they're attached to and 3-4 tsp poultry seasoning

    Pour milk over crackers and mix.

    Add the margarine and other stuff from small pan.

    Add 2 eggs.

    Add a handful and 1/2 of ground veal or ground pork (not sausage).

    Mix thoroughly and put in 13 by 9 pan and bake covered 1 1/2 to 2 hours at 350.

    It's hard to use measuements since I just judge amounts like I was taught. Sorry.

    I have never shared this recipe with ANYONE. Since my Mom passed away in July of this year, and it came from her grandma, I am the only one who has it. Hope it was okay with y'all if I share it. It's great!

    Have a great and safe Thanksgiving everyone. Especially those of you deep frying the turkey 😮 .

    May we all remember to be thankful for something or someone.

    Heidi

    Sounds similar to what my mom used to make except she added the giblets instead of the veal or pork. Yum!

  • @kshutchins said:

    ::letting my imagination get carried away.:: 🙄

    After reading your post about apricot glazed cornish hens with sausage/apple/cranberry stuffing. The hens are rubbed with salt and cayenne pepper before being glazed so there's a nice subtle zip to offset the sweetness of the glaze. Served with sweet potato souffle', green pea casserole, cranberry relish and homemade "fairy" biscuits.... and you are not married? My wife would be jealous of my thoughts. 😍 And you like football. Damn. My wife is a Patriot fan and I thought I would never survive this. now I'm feeling this... something... about a browns fan I have never met. Good on you girl. You sound cool. Pssst. I will deny I ever said any of this.

    @the-fan-of-steel said:

    After reading your post about apricot glazed cornish hens with sausage/apple/cranberry stuffing. The hens are rubbed with salt and cayenne pepper before being glazed so there's a nice subtle zip to offset the sweetness of the glaze. Served with sweet potato souffle', green pea casserole, cranberry relish and homemade "fairy" biscuits.... and you are not married? My wife would be jealous of my thoughts. 😍 And you like football. Damn. My wife is a Patriot fan and I thought I would never survive this. now I'm feeling this... something... about a browns fan I have never met. Good on you girl. You sound cool. Pssst. I will deny I ever said any of this.

    Oooh... I forgot about dessert. I do make the best pecan pie EVER. The southern belles are always asking for my recipe. Hoosier Cream Pie is also yummy. Maybe I'll try something new.

  • brussel sprouts with melted butter (gotta have them brussel sprouts)

    You know, i think I will have to add some to my table....I love the things.

    I like mine with some saute onion and soft cooked bacon pieces.....not uncooked bacon...but still has some chew to it.

    As I keep reading this thread, this small spread I was planning is going to turn in to a feast!

    We haven't even talked wine yet!

  • brussel sprouts with melted butter (gotta have them brussel sprouts)

    You know, i think I will have to add some to my table....I love the things.

    I like mine with some saute onion and soft cooked bacon pieces.....not uncooked bacon...but still has some chew to it.

    As I keep reading this thread, this small spread I was planning is going to turn in to a feast!

    We haven't even talked wine yet!

    @ballpeen said:

    We haven't even talked wine yet!

    I was waiting for Hoorta to chime in with some suggestions.

  • We are building a new greenhouse, 14' wide, hoop style, 32' long.

    ..are planning to grow some things all year round, and are planning to

    grow brussel sprouts way early, it's a long growing season for those,

    and this is Ohio.

    You can also take some fresh small cabbages, dice and fry it all up, and add

    a good bit of pre-cooked sage sausage to it. That's some good stuff.

    All this is making me want to start cooking today.

    WSS lives just about 5 miles up the road - I wonder if he wants the gizzard from his turkey...

  • @cowsrus said:

    It's hard to use measuements since I just judge amounts like I was taught. Sorry.

    No problem...that is what cooking is all about. When baking you have to go by the formula if you want it to come out. When using a recipe...that is just a rough guide IMO. No cook measures stuff to precise measures...the fun is to allow the flair of the day take you where you want to go.

    I love pecan pie...try adding some Kahlua in to the mix, or just drizzle some over the top, or infuse some in to your whipped cream.

    Diabetes or not...I am going to have to get one of those. We have a bake shop where pie is the specialty...I am sure I can still get one ordered for a Wed pick-up.

    That or....what time are you slicing the pie?? 😉

    @ballpeen said:

    That or....what time are you slicing the pie?? 😉

    Well, ya gotta have a window of recovery time before dessert so, pie at 6:00?

    Heidi

  • @ballpeen said:

    We haven't even talked wine yet!

    I was waiting for Hoorta to chime in with some suggestions.

    @kshutchins said:

    I was waiting for Hoorta to chime in with some suggestions.

    I don't cellar any, but most any Gewurztraminer works exceedingly well with turkey. Slightly sweet and spicy..provides a nice balance with the delicate flavor of bird....be it roasted or smoked.

    German wines aren't my favorite, but when it comes to Thanksgiving, I always have a few bottles on the table.

  • @ballpeen said:

    That or....what time are you slicing the pie?? 😉

    Well, ya gotta have a window of recovery time before dessert so, pie at 6:00?

    Heidi

    @cowsrus said:

    Well, ya gotta have a window of recovery time before dessert so, pie at 6:00?

    Heidi

    I'll be there at 5:59...well, a little earlier for a proper introduction. 😉

  • I like this topic and didn't want to see it get lost.

  • It's the Best holiday of the year

    Family,Food, Football....... More Food

    We have a great bread stuffing recipe which contains all of the basics ( Bread, the Cajun Trinity, mushrooms, sausage etc and might be available on request

    But we make lots of it since we love it so.

    And we fry up some of that Raw stuffing on T-Day morning in a cast iron skillet with some melted butter

    until is turns crispy on the outside and cooked on the inside.

    Oh it is, So good

    Give Thanks to Family, Friends and to Thanks to Our Soldiers who are off in faraway lands and who can't be home on this

    wonderful holiday

    John

  • Cajun Trinity

    Hard to go wrong with celery, onion, and green pepper.