Skip to content

Lerner trying to sell?

The Browns Board
26 19 1.8k
  • I read about a rumor that Kosar is trying to put together (or may have already) an ownership team to buy the browns...Lerner is ready to unload.

    of course this is a rumor...but a few radio shows and browns related websites have commented on this as having some truth...

    thoughts?

  • Still trying to figure out this new..new board..

    It took quite some time with Security codes and all that to post a message..maybe im the only one having troubles 😆

  • That'd be a mistake on Kosar's part...right now, everyone likes him....a few losing seasons, and his name will be dirt.

  • That'd be a mistake on Kosar's part...right now, everyone likes him....a few losing seasons, and his name will be dirt.

    @d531 said:

    That'd be a mistake on Kosar's part...right now, everyone likes him....a few losing seasons, and his name will be dirt.

    I think if Bernie could have ownership in the Browns iIm very sure he'll hire competant people to run it...because what weve seen thus far...hasnt worked!

  • @d531 said:

    That'd be a mistake on Kosar's part...right now, everyone likes him....a few losing seasons, and his name will be dirt.

    I think if Bernie could have ownership in the Browns iIm very sure he'll hire competant people to run it...because what weve seen thus far...hasnt worked!

    @nickers said:

    I think if Bernie could have ownership in the Browns iIm very sure he'll hire competant people to run it...because what weve seen thus far...hasnt worked!

    If I recall, Bernie tried to put together a group to purchase the team when we first returned to the NFL in '99. Maybe he'll get a second chance...

  • Well I hope it happens...Im sick of fatman and sewage!

  • I hope Bernie can pull it off.

    That would be the best new coming out of Berea in years.

  • We need people in there that actually seem to care... I second Bernie owning this team!

  • At least Bernie knows what it means to be a Brown! Imagin having an owner that is also a browns fan!

    I hope he works it out ! hell ill donate some money to help the transaction go smoothly!

  • me too.

    Why wasn't the city of cleveland awarded ownership of the Browns, kind of like Green Bay?

  • I have a feeling if Bernie was a owner, it would be as a very, very small minority owner.

    Plus...I think right now NFL owners are sitting on property about as stable as a house on the market.

    I think buyers are hard to find right now, and getting a price is another story.

    NFL teams are WAY overvalued IMO

  • NFL teams are shortly going to be tremendously devalued if the economy continues its current downward spiral. going to games was already exorbitant before the economy crashed and now that people have even less money, fewer and fewer will be able to afford to go. teams will have to slash prices, will lose money and will therefore be worth less money. player salaries will also take a hit.

    while it's possibly that people will seek diversion from their lives in the NFL, it's still likely that they won't be able to afford going to games and will instead go to movies.

    a buyer would be far better off to wait or, if an owner realizes he's about to lose money on his investment and doesn't want to wait to make it back, he could sell low right now and make a small profit.

    either way, investing half a billion dollars in an NFL team is a very risky proposition right now. even if lerner were inclined to sell, i don't think he and a buyer could agree on a price and that makes me sad. i think the dysfunction in our organization right now is largely lerner's fault. the owner, ultimately, has the final say on who stays and who goes and until he really cares about this team, nothing's going to change. i'd compare him to william clay ford, but our problem is coaching, not the GM.

  • me too.

    Why wasn't the city of cleveland awarded ownership of the Browns, kind of like Green Bay?

    @pumpkin-eater said:

    me too.

    Why wasn't the city of cleveland awarded ownership of the Browns, kind of like Green Bay?

    Because the NFL realized what a terrible decision it was to let a city own a team since they can't ever move them or disband them. You realize that they'd probably be the Milwaukee or LA Packers by now if they were owned by an individual.

  • This rumor has been around since Bernie retired. It seems to surface and then fade.

  • Bernie is making pizza commercials in Cleveland. I don't think he has the financial clout to do this. 😛 Lerner is a billionaire, he will do what he wants whether we like it or not.

  • I understand, but so what? We can't want better???

  • Having a hands on owner could be interesting...or it could be a trainwreck. I have some issues with Randy-boy, but he at least appears not to actually make an effort to F things up. Hands on is only good if those hands know what the hell they're doing. Bernie has a great football mind, but I don't know how well that translates to ownership.

    Doug

  • me too.

    Why wasn't the city of cleveland awarded ownership of the Browns, kind of like Green Bay?

    @pumpkin-eater said:

    Why wasn't the city of cleveland awarded ownership of the Browns, kind of like Green Bay?

    Actually, it is against league rules for a city to own a team. Green Bay was already a publicly owned team when the rule was instituted, so they were grandfathered in.

    -Al

  • it'd be interesting to see how bernie would do as an owner. i would like to think he'd know when to back off and when to be assertive, but no one really knows. at any rate, he doesn't have all that much money, so it would take a buyer or syndicate putting him in charge for him to have a leadership role in the organization.

  • I hope its true lerner is a below average owner and thats being real nice about it pleeezzzee let it be true bernie would get the right people to turn the lerner disaster around in 2-3 years!