Skip to content

The Pass Interference Call.

The Browns Board
72 32 5.9k
  • @joesixpat said:

    I'm sure we'll be hearing more about the nature of the rule over the coming days... but my understanding is that if the QB is out of the pocket, while a certain amount of contact is allowed that doesn't mean that all forms of pass interference are given a green light. ... i.e. the DB can bump the WR as he would off the line... he can't force a guy out of bounds and is still obliged to play the ball... but we'll see what the NFL has to say about that.

    Unless Mangini felt that a completely cold QB forced unexpectedly into the game was something that he didn't want to see under any circumstances, I still don't know why he called time out.

    All I can say is, there's a reason why Belichick revoked Mangini's defensive play calling abilities when he was in New England, and I think you saw evidence of that today (it's been conveniently covered up by an astoundingly bad offense until today)

    Be fair Joe....Culpepper is a guy big enough to bull the ball in from the 2....Stafford isn't...I can see where a defensive adjustment would have been called for.

    @ballpeen said:

    Be fair Joe....Culpepper is a guy big enough to bull the ball in from the 2....Stafford isn't...I can see where a defensive adjustment would have been called for.

    The replay I saw made it look like the Lions were in disarray, with Culpepper seemingly unprepared to rush into the game.

    I'm not sure I'd want to give them a chance to readjust and bring back the starting QB in.

    Obviously Mangini didn't call a time out BECAUSE he wanted to give them a chance to get Stafford back in and adjust their offense. It's just that given the circumstances the Lions were worse off than the Browns, even if Mangini wanted to scheme one last defensive stand, and Mangini likely didn't realize he'd be letting Stafford back in the game (another indictment of him as a coach.)

    It seems like Mangini wasn't quick enough to assess that the Lions were worse off than the Browns... and in the end the defensive scheming didn't help anyways, but of course hindsight is 20/20.

    To be fair, there's an upside and downside to calling or not calling the time out. 20/20 hindsight at least proves that calling the time out didn't help, and likely hurt. We'll never know how effective a cold, unprepared Culpepper would have been.

    And to be really fair, the Lions won nothing but a lower draft selection.

  • @ballpeen said:

    Be fair Joe....Culpepper is a guy big enough to bull the ball in from the 2....Stafford isn't...I can see where a defensive adjustment would have been called for.

    The replay I saw made it look like the Lions were in disarray, with Culpepper seemingly unprepared to rush into the game.

    I'm not sure I'd want to give them a chance to readjust and bring back the starting QB in.

    Obviously Mangini didn't call a time out BECAUSE he wanted to give them a chance to get Stafford back in and adjust their offense. It's just that given the circumstances the Lions were worse off than the Browns, even if Mangini wanted to scheme one last defensive stand, and Mangini likely didn't realize he'd be letting Stafford back in the game (another indictment of him as a coach.)

    It seems like Mangini wasn't quick enough to assess that the Lions were worse off than the Browns... and in the end the defensive scheming didn't help anyways, but of course hindsight is 20/20.

    To be fair, there's an upside and downside to calling or not calling the time out. 20/20 hindsight at least proves that calling the time out didn't help, and likely hurt. We'll never know how effective a cold, unprepared Culpepper would have been.

    And to be really fair, the Lions won nothing but a lower draft selection.

    @joesixpat said:

    The replay I saw made it look like the Lions were in disarray, with Culpepper seemingly unprepared to rush into the game.

    I'm not sure I'd want to give them a chance to readjust and bring back the starting QB in.

    Obviously Mangini didn't call a time out BECAUSE he wanted to give them a chance to get Stafford back in and adjust their offense. It's just that given the circumstances the Lions were worse off than the Browns, even if Mangini wanted to scheme one last defensive stand, and Mangini likely didn't realize he'd be letting Stafford back in the game (another indictment of him as a coach.)

    It seems like Mangini wasn't quick enough to assess that the Lions were worse off than the Browns... and in the end the defensive scheming didn't help anyways, but of course hindsight is 20/20.

    To be fair, there's an upside and downside to calling or not calling the time out. 20/20 hindsight at least proves that calling the time out didn't help, and likely hurt. We'll never know how effective a cold, unprepared Culpepper would have been.

    And to be really fair, the Lions won nothing but a lower draft selection.

    I thought it was a Good call at 1st because Stafford looked like a Wreck when he came in. But then he looked totally healed during the play , and went back to the Injured star after the TD. I say NICE ACTING Stafford. But thats just my opinion !! It shouldnt have been P.I. to begin with , but thats Life in the NFL.

  • @ballpeen said:

    Be fair Joe....Culpepper is a guy big enough to bull the ball in from the 2....Stafford isn't...I can see where a defensive adjustment would have been called for.

    The replay I saw made it look like the Lions were in disarray, with Culpepper seemingly unprepared to rush into the game.

    I'm not sure I'd want to give them a chance to readjust and bring back the starting QB in.

    Obviously Mangini didn't call a time out BECAUSE he wanted to give them a chance to get Stafford back in and adjust their offense. It's just that given the circumstances the Lions were worse off than the Browns, even if Mangini wanted to scheme one last defensive stand, and Mangini likely didn't realize he'd be letting Stafford back in the game (another indictment of him as a coach.)

    It seems like Mangini wasn't quick enough to assess that the Lions were worse off than the Browns... and in the end the defensive scheming didn't help anyways, but of course hindsight is 20/20.

    To be fair, there's an upside and downside to calling or not calling the time out. 20/20 hindsight at least proves that calling the time out didn't help, and likely hurt. We'll never know how effective a cold, unprepared Culpepper would have been.

    And to be really fair, the Lions won nothing but a lower draft selection.

    @joesixpat said:

    The replay I saw made it look like the Lions were in disarray, with Culpepper seemingly unprepared to rush into the game.

    I'm not sure I'd want to give them a chance to readjust and bring back the starting QB in.

    Obviously Mangini didn't call a time out BECAUSE he wanted to give them a chance to get Stafford back in and adjust their offense. It's just that given the circumstances the Lions were worse off than the Browns, even if Mangini wanted to scheme one last defensive stand, and Mangini likely didn't realize he'd be letting Stafford back in the game (another indictment of him as a coach.)

    It seems like Mangini wasn't quick enough to assess that the Lions were worse off than the Browns... and in the end the defensive scheming didn't help anyways, but of course hindsight is 20/20.

    To be fair, there's an upside and downside to calling or not calling the time out. 20/20 hindsight at least proves that calling the time out didn't help, and likely hurt. We'll never know how effective a cold, unprepared Culpepper would have been.

    And to be really fair, the Lions won nothing but a lower draft selection.

    YOU got on the sideline?!?! How did you manage? Did you get a headset?! Special Olympics Day??!

    No. The play was from the one yard line and he wanted to set up his defense. I am not going to blame him on that. Culpepper can fart one yard.

    As for the "injury timeout", I looked it up. Apparently, a fourth time out is allowed for an injured player under two minutes as long as he leaves the field. Normally there would be a ten second runoff but the game can't end on a defensive penalty.

  • I'm in Iraq so i was unable to watch the game but i watched all the highlights and i cannot believe that they called that PI, it looked as if it would be offensive PI before defensive. I know all this is fighting for is a lower draft pick but i still want to win games! After watching the horseshit call, i about threw f*cking everything i could find. thanks refs, you one-sided bastards, i hope you get herpes.

    -Joe

    Brady Quinn Homo Fan club from the Middle East

  • I'm in Iraq so i was unable to watch the game but i watched all the highlights and i cannot believe that they called that PI, it looked as if it would be offensive PI before defensive. I know all this is fighting for is a lower draft pick but i still want to win games! After watching the horseshit call, i about threw f*cking everything i could find. thanks refs, you one-sided bastards, i hope you get herpes.

    -Joe

    Brady Quinn Homo Fan club from the Middle East

    @dawgpound4life said:

    I'm in Iraq so i was unable to watch the game but i watched all the highlights and i cannot believe that they called that PI, it looked as if it would be offensive PI before defensive. I know all this is fighting for is a lower draft pick but i still want to win games! After watching the horseshit call, i about threw f*cking everything i could find. thanks refs, you one-sided bastards, i hope you get herpes.

    -Joe

    Brady Quinn Homo Fan club from the Middle East

    Stay safe Joe. Come home soon.

  • guys, the play that baffled me more than anything else was us PASSING the ball on 3rd and 5 after the 2 minute warning. If we just run the damn ball there, you're talking a minute and change for stafford to go roughly 85-90 yards. That time we gave them was HUGE.

    That call was bullshit. He was face guarding but the receiver ran into him. I swear refs forget the concept that the defensive player has just as much right to be there as the offensive player.

    At least our offense showed some play making. Let's just hope we actually keep throwing the damn ball deep against the bengals. I'll reserve judgment if Quinn is getting better until he puts up similar numbers against a good team. I hope he preforms though, our musical chairs of QB's has to stop for us to get better.

  • Just for the record, there was NO pass int by poteat, rather johnson tackled him, so if anything it should have been offensive int and game over, also, the flags came in AFTER pool had already made the pick, can someone please explain to me how the hell you can interfere with a pass after someone already caught it?!?!?

  • I think the pass int call was on Hank Poteat - for face guarding the receiver, instead of

    playing the ball.

    The one time the Lions failed to get a first down on 4th down?

    It was foot short.

    That would have been a Steeler first down, in Pukesburg.

    Certain refs don't like the Browns. I don't know why.

    @calfoxwc said:

    I think the pass int call was on Hank Poteat - for face guarding the receiver, instead of

    playing the ball.

    The one time the Lions failed to get a first down on 4th down?

    It was foot short.

    That would have been a Steeler first down, in Pukesburg.

    Certain refs don't like the Browns. I don't know why.

    beer bottles?

  • those refs werent the same that worked today's game.

  • The game was at Ford field, who ever said Ford wasnt accepting bailouts

  • It was almost like the refs hand their hands on the flags as soon as the play started ready to call us for something. We need to shower them again with beer bottles. Hell with the boycott lets just start thrashing the place. Fuk them

  • guys, the play that baffled me more than anything else was us PASSING the ball on 3rd and 5 after the 2 minute warning. If we just run the damn ball there, you're talking a minute and change for stafford to go roughly 85-90 yards. That time we gave them was HUGE.

    That call was bullshit. He was face guarding but the receiver ran into him. I swear refs forget the concept that the defensive player has just as much right to be there as the offensive player.

    At least our offense showed some play making. Let's just hope we actually keep throwing the damn ball deep against the bengals. I'll reserve judgment if Quinn is getting better until he puts up similar numbers against a good team. I hope he preforms though, our musical chairs of QB's has to stop for us to get better.

    @jrb12711 said:

    guys, the play that baffled me more than anything else was us PASSING the ball on 3rd and 5 after the 2 minute warning. If we just run the damn ball there, you're talking a minute and change for stafford to go roughly 85-90 yards. That time we gave them was HUGE.

    That call was bullshit. He was face guarding but the receiver ran into him. I swear refs forget the concept that the defensive player has just as much right to be there as the offensive player.

    At least our offense showed some play making. Let's just hope we actually keep throwing the damn ball deep against the bengals. I'll reserve judgment if Quinn is getting better until he puts up similar numbers against a good team. I hope he preforms though, our musical chairs of QB's has to stop for us to get better.

    ]

    Exactly. We were at the game, and whoever called that play should be shot, if it was Daboll, I'll supply the ammo. A running play there would have eaten at least 40 more seconds of clock.

    Quinn was passing the inept Lions secondary silly, so yeah, let's try and establish the run. Then when it's time to go nice and conservative, let's go for a kill shot.

    What I saw today was Quinn can complete passes if anyone ever gets open.

    Grades: Quinn- B

    Eric Wright B

    Defense- F Hey guys, they play four quarters in the NFL, not one.

    Coaching Staff F- and worthy of expulsion from the coaching fraternity

    PS We were sitting in the opposite end zone, so I'll have to reserve judgment until I look at the tape on the interference- but it should never have gotten to the point the Lions had a chance to win on the last play.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    guys, the play that baffled me more than anything else was us PASSING the ball on 3rd and 5 after the 2 minute warning. If we just run the damn ball there, you're talking a minute and change for stafford to go roughly 85-90 yards. That time we gave them was HUGE.

    That call was bullshit. He was face guarding but the receiver ran into him. I swear refs forget the concept that the defensive player has just as much right to be there as the offensive player.

    At least our offense showed some play making. Let's just hope we actually keep throwing the damn ball deep against the bengals. I'll reserve judgment if Quinn is getting better until he puts up similar numbers against a good team. I hope he preforms though, our musical chairs of QB's has to stop for us to get better.

    ]

    Exactly. We were at the game, and whoever called that play should be shot, if it was Daboll, I'll supply the ammo. A running play there would have eaten at least 40 more seconds of clock.

    Quinn was passing the inept Lions secondary silly, so yeah, let's try and establish the run. Then when it's time to go nice and conservative, let's go for a kill shot.

    What I saw today was Quinn can complete passes if anyone ever gets open.

    Grades: Quinn- B

    Eric Wright B

    Defense- F Hey guys, they play four quarters in the NFL, not one.

    Coaching Staff F- and worthy of expulsion from the coaching fraternity

    PS We were sitting in the opposite end zone, so I'll have to reserve judgment until I look at the tape on the interference- but it should never have gotten to the point the Lions had a chance to win on the last play.

    @hoorta said:

    ]

    Exactly. We were at the game, and whoever called that play should be shot, if it was Daboll, I'll supply the ammo. A running play there would have eaten at least 40 more seconds of clock.

    Quinn was passing the inept Lions secondary silly, so yeah, let's try and establish the run. Then when it's time to go nice and conservative, let's go for a kill shot.

    What I saw today was Quinn can complete passes if anyone ever gets open.

    Grades: Quinn- B

    Eric Wright B

    Defense- F Hey guys, they play four quarters in the NFL, not one.

    Coaching Staff F- and worthy of expulsion from the coaching fraternity

    PS We were sitting in the opposite end zone, so I'll have to reserve judgment until I look at the tape on the interference- but it should never have gotten to the point the Lions had a chance to win on the last play.

    Hell lets all chip in for the ammo. Because I want a part of it.

  • @hoorta said:

    ]

    Exactly. We were at the game, and whoever called that play should be shot, if it was Daboll, I'll supply the ammo. A running play there would have eaten at least 40 more seconds of clock.

    Quinn was passing the inept Lions secondary silly, so yeah, let's try and establish the run. Then when it's time to go nice and conservative, let's go for a kill shot.

    What I saw today was Quinn can complete passes if anyone ever gets open.

    Grades: Quinn- B

    Eric Wright B

    Defense- F Hey guys, they play four quarters in the NFL, not one.

    Coaching Staff F- and worthy of expulsion from the coaching fraternity

    PS We were sitting in the opposite end zone, so I'll have to reserve judgment until I look at the tape on the interference- but it should never have gotten to the point the Lions had a chance to win on the last play.

    Hell lets all chip in for the ammo. Because I want a part of it.

    @medicineman said:

    Hell lets all chip in for the ammo. Because I want a part of it.

    Using a gun would not satisfy me. I would rather use some sort of bludgeon. Or perhaps a whale penis, then it adds insult to injury.

  • Who cares we F*cking suck still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Who cares we F*cking suck still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    @clbrowns said:

    Who cares we F*cking suck still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Go root for Buffalo, you faggot.

  • @clbrowns said:

    Who cares we F*cking suck still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Go root for Buffalo, you faggot.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Go root for Buffalo, you faggot.

    Lets try not to hate on each other right now. I was thinking the same thing though. WE do still suck but I can't understand why the refs love kicking us when were down. But just like somebody else said It shouldn't have been close.

  • @medicineman said:

    Hell lets all chip in for the ammo. Because I want a part of it.

    Using a gun would not satisfy me. I would rather use some sort of bludgeon. Or perhaps a whale penis, then it adds insult to injury.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Using a gun would not satisfy me. I would rather use some sort of bludgeon. Or perhaps a whale penis, then it adds insult to injury.

    Thats good real good. I really wish I would have thought of something like that. That made us laugh out loud I swear. Thanks for the laugh.

  • @joesixpat said:

    I'm sure we'll be hearing more about the nature of the rule over the coming days... but my understanding is that if the QB is out of the pocket, while a certain amount of contact is allowed that doesn't mean that all forms of pass interference are given a green light. ... i.e. the DB can bump the WR as he would off the line... he can't force a guy out of bounds and is still obliged to play the ball... but we'll see what the NFL has to say about that.

    Unless Mangini felt that a completely cold QB forced unexpectedly into the game was something that he didn't want to see under any circumstances, I still don't know why he called time out.

    All I can say is, there's a reason why Belichick revoked Mangini's defensive play calling abilities when he was in New England, and I think you saw evidence of that today (it's been conveniently covered up by an astoundingly bad offense until today)

    Be fair Joe....Culpepper is a guy big enough to bull the ball in from the 2....Stafford isn't...I can see where a defensive adjustment would have been called for.

    @ballpeen said:

    Be fair Joe....Culpepper is a guy big enough to bull the ball in from the 2....Stafford isn't...I can see where a defensive adjustment would have been called for.

    Hey Ball I said the same thing about Culpepper. Fresh legs and the dude weighs 300 lbs. I think the Time out is a non-issue, the Pass Interference call is what we should be focusing on.

  • Who cares we F*cking suck still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    @clbrowns said:

    Who cares we F*cking suck still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    F*cking bitch whiner. We played better. Saw Quinn. Go cry to your mother, baby.