Skip to content

A Couple of thoughts on the draft and FA

The Browns Board
33 12 2.1k
  • Taylor Mays isn't it? the USC FS. Yea, he's big and fast but personally, I like both Jones and Brodney. The question I suppose with Jones is his health. He's looking a little ragged right now, but given the rest of the year, we'll have to see how he improves. When healthy, he's arguably one of the top safeties in the NFL. Safety is kind of a tough spot to burn a top 10 pick at.

    Need to look at LBs, another RB, and RT, in my opinion.

    Our young DBs would be helped out alot if we brought more pressure...

    S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @spectrum said:

    Taylor Mays isn't it? the USC FS. Yea, he's big and fast but personally, I like both Jones and Brodney. The question I suppose with Jones is his health. He's looking a little ragged right now, but given the rest of the year, we'll have to see how he improves. When healthy, he's arguably one of the top safeties in the NFL. Safety is kind of a tough spot to burn a top 10 pick at.

    Need to look at LBs, another RB, and RT, in my opinion.

    Our young DBs would be helped out alot if we brought more pressure...

    Yes you are correct Mays... I see it differently in regards to safety position. As stated I'm not sold on Jones and pool....while good...I want elite. To me a dominant safety is Key to stout D...ala Bob Sanders, Polamalu, Reed, and even Harrison. Don't get me wrong...Jones and pool are good to OK....I want a Stud at safety. Middle Linebacker is #1 priority on this team imo. Look at what Donte whitner has done for the Bills. Any way Running back also high up there but unless an AP is in the draft I wait till later rounds. Would absolutely love it if Savage made a go at Brandon Jacobs in the offseason.

  • J JewDago wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @ solon: you think there's a chance the giants don't re-sign jacobs? i pretty much figured he was a sure bet to stay.

  • @spectrum said:

    Taylor Mays isn't it? the USC FS. Yea, he's big and fast but personally, I like both Jones and Brodney. The question I suppose with Jones is his health. He's looking a little ragged right now, but given the rest of the year, we'll have to see how he improves. When healthy, he's arguably one of the top safeties in the NFL. Safety is kind of a tough spot to burn a top 10 pick at.

    Need to look at LBs, another RB, and RT, in my opinion.

    Our young DBs would be helped out alot if we brought more pressure...

    Yes you are correct Mays... I see it differently in regards to safety position. As stated I'm not sold on Jones and pool....while good...I want elite. To me a dominant safety is Key to stout D...ala Bob Sanders, Polamalu, Reed, and even Harrison. Don't get me wrong...Jones and pool are good to OK....I want a Stud at safety. Middle Linebacker is #1 priority on this team imo. Look at what Donte whitner has done for the Bills. Any way Running back also high up there but unless an AP is in the draft I wait till later rounds. Would absolutely love it if Savage made a go at Brandon Jacobs in the offseason.

    ? AdaM wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @solon16 said:

    Yes you are correct Mays... I see it differently in regards to safety position. As stated I'm not sold on Jones and pool....while good...I want elite. To me a dominant safety is Key to stout D...ala Bob Sanders, Polamalu, Reed, and even Harrison. Don't get me wrong...Jones and pool are good to OK....I want a Stud at safety. Middle Linebacker is #1 priority on this team imo. Look at what Donte whitner has done for the Bills. Any way Running back also high up there but unless an AP is in the draft I wait till later rounds. Would absolutely love it if Savage made a go at Brandon Jacobs in the offseason.

    Jacobs is going to want 5mil+ a year... aint gonna happen.

  • ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #10

    I dig Jacobs, but enough already with the free agents.

    How about Savage finds us a Jacobs in the f-ing draft???

  • @ solon: you think there's a chance the giants don't re-sign jacobs? i pretty much figured he was a sure bet to stay.

    S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @jewdago said:

    @ solon: you think there's a chance the giants don't re-sign jacobs? i pretty much figured he was a sure bet to stay.

    We'll see but I think he will test the market.... don't you?

  • Draft: Why drat a CB? I say a stud MLB woiuld be just what this week rush defence need.

    Luarenitis?

    REY REY? it doesn't matter to me! just do it and hit on this pick because we need it!

    FA: Now adress the DB problem if you can call it that!

    REMEMBER... we have some great young guys that just need a few seasons to develop!

    Mike Brown, UFA, Chicago Bears

    Nnamdi Asomugha, UFA, Oakland Raiders

    Chris Gamble, UFA, Carolina Panthers

    AT SAFTEY

    Brian Dawkins, UFA, Philadelphia Eagles

    Lets just not replace a 2nd year CB with a rookie CB!

    And dont get a "Terry Cousins" esc verteran!

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @roy.e.munson said:

    Draft: Why drat a CB? I say a stud MLB woiuld be just what this week rush defence need.

    Luarenitis?

    REY REY? it doesn't matter to me! just do it and hit on this pick because we need it!

    FA: Now adress the DB problem if you can call it that!

    REMEMBER... we have some great young guys that just need a few seasons to develop!

    Mike Brown, UFA, Chicago Bears

    Nnamdi Asomugha, UFA, Oakland Raiders

    Chris Gamble, UFA, Carolina Panthers

    AT SAFTEY

    Brian Dawkins, UFA, Philadelphia Eagles

    Lets just not replace a 2nd year CB with a rookie CB!

    And dont get a "Terry Cousins" esc verteran!

  • I dig Jacobs, but enough already with the free agents.

    How about Savage finds us a Jacobs in the f-ing draft???

    S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    mz. said:

    I dig Jacobs, but enough already with the free agents.

    How about Savage finds us a Jacobs in the f-ing draft???

    I agree but he's a Beast and top 5 runner in the game and probably most worried about. I'd love to throw him out there against Pitt twice a year! He packs more of a punch than mack used to!

  • J JewDago wrote on last edited by
    #14

    i think the giants won't let him get that far. he's a very valuable piece of their offense and the kind of player that doesn't come around often. few people can break tackles like he can while still having his agility. he's a bit like shaun rogers that way: their agility and strength are rarely seen in the same package. for a bruising runner, jacobs has great feet.

  • mz. said:

    I dig Jacobs, but enough already with the free agents.

    How about Savage finds us a Jacobs in the f-ing draft???

    I agree but he's a Beast and top 5 runner in the game and probably most worried about. I'd love to throw him out there against Pitt twice a year! He packs more of a punch than mack used to!

    ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @solon16 said:

    I agree but he's a Beast and top 5 runner in the game and probably most worried about. I'd love to throw him out there against Pitt twice a year! He packs more of a punch than mack used to!

    Again, I'm not saying he isn't a very good back. His is an injury risk, though, so I wouldn't make that 5M/year investment in him (if that's what he'll command).

    What I am saying is "hey Phil, let's use the middle rounds of draft like, well, the Giants did to acquire players like Jacobs. And Osi. And Strahan."

  • i think the giants won't let him get that far. he's a very valuable piece of their offense and the kind of player that doesn't come around often. few people can break tackles like he can while still having his agility. he's a bit like shaun rogers that way: their agility and strength are rarely seen in the same package. for a bruising runner, jacobs has great feet.

    S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @jewdago said:

    i think the giants won't let him get that far. he's a very valuable piece of their offense and the kind of player that doesn't come around often. few people can break tackles like he can while still having his agility. he's a bit like shaun rogers that way: their agility and strength are rarely seen in the same package. for a bruising runner, jacobs has great feet.

    Oye foggetaboutit! that's my jewdago statement of the week

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #17

    I think Lauranitis is good BUT sometimes I wonder if he isn't just a wee bit overrated. Good kid, LOVES football, great genetics, hustles BUT I've never once said "WOW!"

    On the other hand, Rey Maluawhatever - I must have said "WOW" at least 4 times the very first time I caught his act. He's a stud.

    And I'll be very glad to get Davon Holly back in our mix at corner once he's healthy.

  • @solon16 said:

    I agree but he's a Beast and top 5 runner in the game and probably most worried about. I'd love to throw him out there against Pitt twice a year! He packs more of a punch than mack used to!

    Again, I'm not saying he isn't a very good back. His is an injury risk, though, so I wouldn't make that 5M/year investment in him (if that's what he'll command).

    What I am saying is "hey Phil, let's use the middle rounds of draft like, well, the Giants did to acquire players like Jacobs. And Osi. And Strahan."

    S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    mz. said:

    Again, I'm not saying he isn't a very good back. His is an injury risk, though, so I wouldn't make that 5M/year investment in him (if that's what he'll command).

    What I am saying is "hey Phil, let's use the middle rounds of draft like, well, the Giants did to acquire players like Jacobs. And Osi. And Strahan."

    I think every player is an injury risk....a game like football is an accident waiting to happen. anywhere anytime....While I do not think we would get him....I would buy a Brandon Jacobs jersey....it would be my first.... been holding out for 40 years. If we get Rey...I'd get that one for sure...he is a no-brainer.

  • I think Lauranitis is good BUT sometimes I wonder if he isn't just a wee bit overrated. Good kid, LOVES football, great genetics, hustles BUT I've never once said "WOW!"

    On the other hand, Rey Maluawhatever - I must have said "WOW" at least 4 times the very first time I caught his act. He's a stud.

    And I'll be very glad to get Davon Holly back in our mix at corner once he's healthy.

    S Solon16 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @flugel said:

    I think Lauranitis is good BUT sometimes I wonder if he isn't just a wee bit overrated. Good kid, LOVES football, great genetics, hustles BUT I've never once said "WOW!"

    On the other hand, Rey Maluawhatever - I must have said "WOW" at least 4 times the very first time I caught his act. He's a stud.

    And I'll be very glad to get Davon Holly back in our mix at corner once he's healthy.

    agree 1000%

  • mz. said:

    Again, I'm not saying he isn't a very good back. His is an injury risk, though, so I wouldn't make that 5M/year investment in him (if that's what he'll command).

    What I am saying is "hey Phil, let's use the middle rounds of draft like, well, the Giants did to acquire players like Jacobs. And Osi. And Strahan."

    I think every player is an injury risk....a game like football is an accident waiting to happen. anywhere anytime....While I do not think we would get him....I would buy a Brandon Jacobs jersey....it would be my first.... been holding out for 40 years. If we get Rey...I'd get that one for sure...he is a no-brainer.

    ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @solon16 said:

    I think every player is an injury risk....a game like football is an accident waiting to happen. anywhere anytime....

    So, saying that, you think Donte Stallworth and Hines Ward carry the same injury risk? Please.

  • @jewdago said:

    i think the giants won't let him get that far. he's a very valuable piece of their offense and the kind of player that doesn't come around often. few people can break tackles like he can while still having his agility. he's a bit like shaun rogers that way: their agility and strength are rarely seen in the same package. for a bruising runner, jacobs has great feet.

    Oye foggetaboutit! that's my jewdago statement of the week

    J JewDago wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @solon16 said:

    Oye foggetaboutit! that's my jewdago statement of the week

    excellent. that's absolutely phenomenal.

  • @solon16 said:

    I think every player is an injury risk....a game like football is an accident waiting to happen. anywhere anytime....

    So, saying that, you think Donte Stallworth and Hines Ward carry the same injury risk? Please.

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #22

    mz. said:

    So, saying that, you think Donte Stallworth and Hines Ward carry the same injury risk? Please.

    Well, over the last 3 years, Ward has missed as much time as Stallworth

  • J JewDago wrote on last edited by
    #23

    shep, do you think there's a chance, first, that the raiders won't franchise scrabble again this year (not sure if it's in his contract that they can't) and, second, that we could land him if he's let go?

  • ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Fine. How about Stallworth and Jerry Rice?

    All I'm saying is that some guys are bigger risks than others. Jacobs has a history.

  • A Alendor wrote on last edited by
    #25

    wells is similar to jacobs, instead of paying for a FA, we shoudl draft and develop a rookie

  • Fine. How about Stallworth and Jerry Rice?

    All I'm saying is that some guys are bigger risks than others. Jacobs has a history.

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #26

    mz. said:

    Fine. How about Stallworth and Jerry Rice?

    All I'm saying is that some guys are bigger risks than others. Jacobs has a history.

    Oh some do. But Stallworths wasn't really that big. Jacobs, being relatively new in the league, with the number of injuries certain is. Just like Parker in PIT.