Skip to content

Our NEXT 1st Rd Pick Could Be Playing Today

The Browns Board
42 24 3.3k
  • boy named SUh..haha that i GREAT

    again..SUH Berry or CJ SPiller.

    That order..some are afraid to grab CJ as high as the browns draft...in all honesty i LOVE Joe Thomas..but wanted Adrian Peterson...i dont care how half ass our line is and would have been...that dude makes it happen..and since NOW..or line is a RT away (should be) draft the damn RB we have needed for years and years

  • A Alo

    Suh would play end in a 3-4. He's not a nose tackle.

    Also, I don't think Colt McCoy's an early 1st round pick. Though someone like Dan Snyder could reach for him, he hasn't been consistent enough this year to warrant an early 1st round grade.

    Ball security's been an issue for him this year, and he hasn't shown much development when it comes to working through his progressions. When Jordan Shipley got shut down in the Oklahoma game, McCoy looked clueless.

    I like his intangibles, but he's the type of guy who'll only succeed if he gets to sit for a year or two while building up his physique and adjusting to an NFL offense. Even then, he's probably not a fit for every NFL offense.

    Minnesota late in the 1st might make sense, but I think he slides to the 2nd round.

    @alo said:

    Suh would play end in a 3-4. He's not a nose tackle.

    Good point Alo. That's why I put NT/DT because I never know what to call our downlinemen on the edge of our 3/4. They're sort of a combination of DE and DT expected to play 2 gap and still don't know what to call their position. I agree with what you say about Suh if he came to us. He'd prolly be pegged to play out on the edge of our downline unless of course we considered doing the 4-3 thing. I will say this though - Suh STRONG enough to offer up the flexibility to play NT if Rogers were to return and get hurt again. Aside from that, Corey Williams hasn't made me happy and Robaire isn't gettign any younger. Suh is about the strongest guy I've seen inside in a 3 point stance in quite some time

    I LOVE our options with the 1st pick between Spiller, Berry and Suh. I imagine I'll change my favorite flavors a couple hundred times in the process.

    - Tom F.

  • Suh definitely is strong. And just unbelievably good.

    It was an interesting to see again last night how much McCoy struggles when the other team shuts down Shipley. In part, that's due to Texas' other receivers being raw and inexperienced, but it's also a reflection of McCoy's struggles going through his reads. There was one play where Shipley fell down on his route, so McCoy lobbed a pick to the other side of the field. Just ugly.

    I've tried to like McCoy. And to be fair, he's had an incredible game or two this year (the A&M game comes to mind). But I just don't see an NFL QB, or at least a guy who'll become one within the next 2-3 years.

    He needs to get bigger and stronger. But his bigger limitation is that the system he's been playing in hasn't prepared him to run an NFL offense. Of the spread quarterback prospects, he might be the least NFL-ready (except for Tebow, if he counts).

    Could he be the next Drew Brees? Perhaps. But I don't see it.

  • @alo said:

    Suh would play end in a 3-4. He's not a nose tackle.

    Good point Alo. That's why I put NT/DT because I never know what to call our downlinemen on the edge of our 3/4. They're sort of a combination of DE and DT expected to play 2 gap and still don't know what to call their position. I agree with what you say about Suh if he came to us. He'd prolly be pegged to play out on the edge of our downline unless of course we considered doing the 4-3 thing. I will say this though - Suh STRONG enough to offer up the flexibility to play NT if Rogers were to return and get hurt again. Aside from that, Corey Williams hasn't made me happy and Robaire isn't gettign any younger. Suh is about the strongest guy I've seen inside in a 3 point stance in quite some time

    I LOVE our options with the 1st pick between Spiller, Berry and Suh. I imagine I'll change my favorite flavors a couple hundred times in the process.

    - Tom F.

    @flugel said:

    Good point Alo. That's why I put NT/DT because I never know what to call our downlinemen on the edge of our 3/4. They're sort of a combination of DE and DT expected to play 2 gap and still don't know what to call their position. I agree with what you say about Suh if he came to us. He'd prolly be pegged to play out on the edge of our downline unless of course we considered doing the 4-3 thing. I will say this though - Suh STRONG enough to offer up the flexibility to play NT if Rogers were to return and get hurt again. Aside from that, Corey Williams hasn't made me happy and Robaire isn't gettign any younger. Suh is about the strongest guy I've seen inside in a 3 point stance in quite some time

    I LOVE our options with the 1st pick between Spiller, Berry and Suh. I imagine I'll change my favorite flavors a couple hundred times in the process.

    - Tom F.

    tHAT DEFENSIVE PERFORMANCE WAS incredible.....wOW JuST WOW!!!! SUH,was channeling Reggie white...that is the only comparison that fits in my eyes....he is that good!

    CAN WE JUST CALL HIM KONG from now on

    Trade corey Williams and draft SUH or just convert back to the 4-3 ( this dumb experiment is wearing me thin) can you imaging....SUH, ROGERS Wimbley and Veikune with mosely, robaire Williams and bowens as backup....

    draft a fking real LINEBACKER in the second then go offense with three thirds rounders, go safety and corner with 4th and three 5th's(and get lucky) get QB next year.....RT in FA...yikes

  • I agree that we need to go back to the 4-3. The 3-4 works for some teams but just has never panned out for us. Im soo tired of seeing us blitz with our weak lbs and them just get stopped every single time. We need to get a big body that can cause chaos in Suh we trust!!!!! It would be nice to have 2 #1's to get Suh and Spiller. But we still do have Davis that should come back next season. As i stated before there is a few FA RB's out there that we could move on: Caddy williams, Darren Sproles.

  • If you guys are interested in who is going to be a free agent the upcoming year here is a site www.footballsfuture.com/2010/fa/rb.html

  • A Alo

    Suh definitely is strong. And just unbelievably good.

    It was an interesting to see again last night how much McCoy struggles when the other team shuts down Shipley. In part, that's due to Texas' other receivers being raw and inexperienced, but it's also a reflection of McCoy's struggles going through his reads. There was one play where Shipley fell down on his route, so McCoy lobbed a pick to the other side of the field. Just ugly.

    I've tried to like McCoy. And to be fair, he's had an incredible game or two this year (the A&M game comes to mind). But I just don't see an NFL QB, or at least a guy who'll become one within the next 2-3 years.

    He needs to get bigger and stronger. But his bigger limitation is that the system he's been playing in hasn't prepared him to run an NFL offense. Of the spread quarterback prospects, he might be the least NFL-ready (except for Tebow, if he counts).

    Could he be the next Drew Brees? Perhaps. But I don't see it.

    @alo said:

    Suh definitely is strong. And just unbelievably good.

    It was an interesting to see again last night how much McCoy struggles when the other team shuts down Shipley. In part, that's due to Texas' other receivers being raw and inexperienced, but it's also a reflection of McCoy's struggles going through his reads.

    Great points. Aside from Texas & Oklahoma, this was the first legit defense I've seen in that Big 12 so I'm sure the culture shock Nebraska's front line presented made life miserable enough for McCoy to see a foreshadowing on the drastic change ahead.

    I don't think I'd want McCoy with our first pick. That said, I DO think the kid warrants a bigger body of work to assess than just the Nebraska game. I'm pretty certain all top QBs would have struggled wearing Suh on their jersey all night. And McCoy is an athlete with agility who can motor or elude pressure when need be too. I think he'd make a decent first round pick for the right team and that ain't us IMO. He was pretty clutch vrs Ohio State 1 year ago and he also beat Oklahoma. In fact, the kid seems like he's won about 90% of his starts. I hear what you say about McCoy's top receiver which reminds of a pro Qb that once struggled in similar circumstances. Consider this: did Peyton Manning look any different when NE used to take away Marvin Harrison in the post seasons outdoors? 1 time Manning only scored 3 points at NE when that was the case. That reality also led to additions of Reggie Wayne and Anthony Gonzalez in round 1 on draft days to follow. Now there's options. Guys like Steve Young and Doug Williams went from forgettable QBing to memorable QBing when they had options.

    I hope we don't even consider Clausen. There's a kid that locks onto his primary target as soon as they break the huddle. There's just somethign about that kid's play I can't warm-up to. I've seen Golden Tate turn alot of YUCK into YAC with outrageous skill and blessed athletics/speed. Speaking of which, Golden Tate is also going to be in the top half of round 1 in 2010. Let's just hope these underclassmen don't cause Eric Berry to return to school. Look what's happened at USC to underclassmen that returned to school for senior years (Leinart, Mays and Rey). All 3 of them would have been drafted higher if they came out after their junior seasons.

    - Tom F.

  • I don't know about you guys, but after watching that Cinci/Pitt game, I gotta say that Im getting high on Tony Pike. They were down 31-17 at half and came back and won it with 45-44! You could just tell on that last drive by Pike that he was gonna get a score. His comeback was almost (dare I say) Manning-esque. If there's one thing I love about this kid, its that he can close out games. Now Im not saying we should take him with our high 1st rounder. But If he's available around the 25-30 range, I'd say we should trade up for him cuz I don't think he will make it out of the first round.

    Also a heads up to Marty Gilyard, he was almost uncoverable today

    @floridabrownsfan said:

    I don't know about you guys, but after watching that Cinci/Pitt game, I gotta say that Im getting high on Tony Pike. They were down 31-17 at half and came back and won it with 45-44! You could just tell on that last drive by Pike that he was gonna get a score. His comeback was almost (dare I say) Manning-esque. If there's one thing I love about this kid, its that he can close out games. Now Im not saying we should take him with our high 1st rounder. But If he's available around the 25-30 range, I'd say we should trade up for him cuz I don't think he will make it out of the first round.

    Also a heads up to Marty Gilyard, he was almost uncoverable today

    Couple of things to keep in mind about Pike before you get too jacked up about the kid- he's hurt his non-throwing wrist twice, (the first time badly). Is he a "system" qb? Takes a lot of shotgun snaps. Colt Brennan put up ungodly numbers at Hawaii, and is now nowhere to be seen. Has a good, but not great arm (similar to Quinn). A lot of the competition was suspect- if he lights up Florida, and has a great Senior Bowl, you might get me to change my mind. 🙂

  • Im not a huge fan on getting a QB high. We got Quinn right now who can be servicable. If we need to we can pick up a vet and take a chance on a qb in the latter rounds. This a very deep qb class this year: Pike, McCoy, Bradford, Clausen, LeFevour, Keenum to name a few.

    And also remeber that 3 teams drafted QB's in the 1st round and will not be in the market for a QB in this draft. With all this tallent we can wait to the latter rounds and get real value.

  • why would we go back to the 4-3? thats a college defense, suffice to say. the big boys rock the 3-4...

    of the top 10 defenses, 5 are 3-4 and 5 are 4-3 defenses. 4 of the top5, are 3-4's......

    we have a good 3-4 schemer now.....lets get him the personnel to run it properly.

  • why would we go back to the 4-3? thats a college defense, suffice to say. the big boys rock the 3-4...

    of the top 10 defenses, 5 are 3-4 and 5 are 4-3 defenses. 4 of the top5, are 3-4's......

    we have a good 3-4 schemer now.....lets get him the personnel to run it properly.

    @choco said:

    why would we go back to the 4-3? thats a college defense, suffice to say. the big boys rock the 3-4...

    of the top 10 defenses, 5 are 3-4 and 5 are 4-3 defenses. 4 of the top5, are 3-4's......

    we have a good 3-4 schemer now.....lets get him the personnel to run it properly.

    and to my mind Suh would be the prototypical 3-4 DE, he's fast enough to even play some OLB.