First Post Here-Draft Topic
-
Berry's played closer to the line this year. While he's had his good spots, I haven't been all that impressed with his play.
He's still an elite cover guy, but I'm not sure how much he'd add to our run defense. He'll pick off passes and, if necessary, can play corner or cover the slot, but he might not be as good serving as a 4th/5th linebacker in the box type. Mays would be good at that, but he struggles in coverage.
I still think Berry will be a very good player. But I'd take Suh over him, possibly Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy as well.
Berry's played closer to the line this year. While he's had his good spots, I haven't been all that impressed with his play.
He's still an elite cover guy, but I'm not sure how much he'd add to our run defense. He'll pick off passes and, if necessary, can play corner or cover the slot, but he might not be as good serving as a 4th/5th linebacker in the box type. Mays would be good at that, but he struggles in coverage.
I still think Berry will be a very good player. But I'd take Suh over him, possibly Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy as well.
Who am I looking for Alo in this draft? I want a run stuffing, blitzing Safety that can blow up plays inside and out. That can cover and mask coverage and make the big turnovers in the secondary as well.
-
If you're looking for great all-around upside, Chad Jones is the guy who fits your description best. He's a little bit of a project, only becoming a full-time starter this year, but he has great size (6'3", 230 lbs.) and athleticism (former outfielder who now throws 90 MPH heat for LSU's baseball team, did this:

...also returned a punt for a TD in that game).
Though he sometimes appears to arrive a second late in coverage, he's not at all averse to delivering a big hit. It seems like he has at least one impact hit a game, and usually leads with his shoulder. Unfortunately, he didn't manage to do that on this one:
He'll occasionally take a bad angle in run support. And because he doesn't have the most fluid hips, some people think he'd be better suited playing linebacker. But I think he's got the potential to be a very good NFL safety, though it might not be until his second or third year in the league.
If he declares, he's probably a late 1st/early 2nd round pick.
-
Alo,
I agree with you about Jones, though I think I'd rather have this dude out of the pen for the Tribe (I've seen him in person in baseball, and trust me, he's the real deal).
I agree with your assessment 100% about him. Super talented, project in the works. He'd be a great pick with our first 2nd round pick this year. I think he'll fall that far, and we are at least 2 years from being a serious football team again anyways. This same experiment didn't work out with Wright, at least not yet, but I think this guy will be different (Les Miles and his staff are mostly morons-Jones just needs a good coach).
-
After watching that video of Eric Berry, I realized he reminds me of a bull. He does not use his arms at all, taking on blockers or making the tackles. He just puts his shoulder down and runs at you. If someone could get it into his head that he has arms, and they are very useful, his production would probably increase twofold. Dude still hits like a truck though.
-
Berry does need to wrap up more consistently, and his size is something of a hindrance. That said, he's still going to be a very good NFL player.
Dude's been studying film of himself since he was 12 years old: I don't think anyone's concerned that the NFL game will be too fast or complex for him. There's a very strong chance that he'll make a big impact as a rookie, albeit not as big as a monster like Suh.
Here's a more positive look at Berry:
Bigger Clip
-
Is Berry grossly over-rated? I mean, sure he's a good Safety, but he was being mentioned as a Heisman canidate and top-3 pick. I don't see it. Mid to late first maybe.
-
Is Berry grossly over-rated? I mean, sure he's a good Safety, but he was being mentioned as a Heisman canidate and top-3 pick. I don't see it. Mid to late first maybe.
Is Berry grossly over-rated? I mean, sure he's a good Safety, but he was being mentioned as a Heisman canidate and top-3 pick. I don't see it. Mid to late first maybe.
I wouldn't say he's grossly overrated, I just pointed this out for 2 reasons: I don't know if any other posters on this board have seen him live and I think he'd need more work than our high pick would merit. In other words, with us picking in the top 3, we should get a guy that is ready for the NFL (I'm thinking Laron Landry from LSU a couple of years ago, great athlete, good safety, needed work and got picked around 10th or so by the skins).
I agree that he should be picked mid first round if he comes out, which he probably will now that Tenn. is being investigated by the NCAA.
-
I like Taylor Mayes, safety at USC, more than Eric Berry. Living on the West Coast, I've seen Mayes a lot. This was a tough year for him because the USC defense sent about nine players to the NFL this year including all their starting LB's from last year. The USC D-line was a joke this year.
Mayes is a stud and has speed. He just did not have much help this year.
PS: My Oregon Ducks are going to win the Rose Bowl this year. OSU has never seen the kind of speed the Ducks have. Keep an eye on Lagerette Blount and Ed Dickson. They will both be playing on Sundays next year.
-
Is Berry grossly over-rated? I mean, sure he's a good Safety, but he was being mentioned as a Heisman canidate and top-3 pick. I don't see it. Mid to late first maybe.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
