Skip to content

Rock n roll HOF

The Browns Board
48 14 2.8k
  • I'll stick to country. I don't think the Three Stooges sang worth a darn in their movies...

  • @the-gipper said:

    If Phish neither sold singles or albums then they certainly going to be relegated to the periphery despite being a solid live act.

    Note that no "rap" acts were inducted this year either.

    they have 1 platinum album and i believe 4 gold albums, but that is nothing sales-wise compared to the bands on the list that you included. would the grateful dead have been inducted if they never released "touch of grey"?

    as far as reggae acts, there are a few that would be worthy of the RRHoF honor (burning spear, black uhuru, toots and the maytals), but will never be inducted because of the shadow cast by bob.

    i listen to too much hippy shit, lol.

    @mudratdetector said:

    they have 1 platinum album and i believe 4 gold albums, but that is nothing sales-wise compared to the bands on the list that you included. would the grateful dead have been inducted if they never released "touch of grey"?

    as far as reggae acts, there are a few that would be worthy of the RRHoF honor (burning spear, black uhuru, toots and the maytals), but will never be inducted because of the shadow cast by bob.

    i listen to too much hippy shit, lol.

    Well, it just seems to me that the KISS army has drowned out the Phish army. Or at least the KISS army wears wilder uniforms!

    To me personally, the biggest oversights are probably RHCP, Alice Cooper, and maybe Todd Rundgren.

    And now that ABBA is in, the biggest selling artists of all time (per Wiki) that are not in are AC/DC (or are they in?), Celine Dion, Julio Iglesias and Nana Mouskari who is some Greek/French chick I know nothing about.

    Again, I go back to my question: if they are going to let ABBA in to appease the Euros, do they not have to seriously consider Dion (to appease the French Canadians), Iglesias (to appease Hispanics), and this other chick to appease the French/Greeks? (but then, would that make it the International Music HOF, and not the RRHOF?)

  • I'll stick to country. I don't think the Three Stooges sang worth a darn in their movies...

    @calfoxwc said:

    I'll stick to country. I don't think the Three Stooges sang worth a darn in their movies...

    I beg to disagree. Here is the evidence:

  • wss

  • Maiden and Priest should already be in.

  • ROF,L.... "ahem"

    Okay, maybe I was wrong, GGG, but I still

    second the motion to get Steve into the Rock n Roll HOF.

    It's petition time, maybe.

  • Westside Steve needs to be inducted.

    @atenears said:

    Westside Steve needs to be inducted.

    You mean Committed.

  • Maiden and Priest should already be in.

    @riffer-x said:

    Maiden and Priest should already be in.

    Ah, here is the rub. Two bands that I probably wouldn't give the time of day to, and you want them into the RRHOF. Everyone has their favorite genre that perhaps they feel is overlooked.

  • OK, here is something I have been working on re this category, because it came up with the selection of the Swedish ABBA into the RRHOF, and that is: What country of origin makes up the inductees into the RRHOF. Here is the answer:

    Sweden: 1, ABBA

    Mexico: 1, Santana (born and raised, later moved to US)

    Australia: 1, AC/DC

    Ireland: 2, U2, Van Morrison

    Jamaica: 3, Bob Marley, Chris Blackwell, Jimmy Cliff

    Canada: 4, The Band, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen

    England/Australia mix: 1, The BeeGees

    Canada/US mix: 1, Buffalo Springfield

    England/US mix: 4, Fleetwood Mac, The Police, Crosby Stills and Nash, the Pretenders

    Denmark/US mix: 1, Metallica

    The UK: 28 acts (in order of induction):

    The Beatles

    The Rolling Stones

    The Who

    The Kinks

    The Yardbirds

    Cream

    The Animals

    Rod Stewart

    John Lennon

    Elton John

    Led Zeppelin

    David Bowie

    George Martin

    Paul McCartney

    Dusty Springfield

    Eric Clapton

    Queen (though Freddie Mercury was born in Egypt)

    The Clash

    Elvis Costello

    Traffic

    George Harrison

    The Sex Pistols

    Black Sabbath

    Dave Clark 5

    Jeff Beck

    The Hollies

    Genesis

    And there are 201 acts/sidemen/contributors who originate from the USA in the RRHOF. I am not going to list them all, though I will note simply that the Van Halen brothers were born in The Netherlands before coming here as young children, and that Leonard Chess was born in Poland before coming here, that both Ahmet Ertegun and Neshui Ertegun were born in Turkey and that Bill Graham was born in Germany as Wolfgang Gratoncla

  • @atenears said:

    Westside Steve needs to be inducted.

    You mean Committed.

    @chicopee-john said:

    You mean Committed.

    hahahahahahahah

    Steve's a cool dude, enjoyed BSing with him at the tailgate.

  • @riffer-x said:

    Maiden and Priest should already be in.

    Ah, here is the rub. Two bands that I probably wouldn't give the time of day to, and you want them into the RRHOF. Everyone has their favorite genre that perhaps they feel is overlooked.

    @the-gipper said:

    Ah, here is the rub. Two bands that I probably wouldn't give the time of day to, and you want them into the RRHOF. Everyone has their favorite genre that perhaps they feel is overlooked.

    Well, metal/hard rock is a pretty big genre and these two are a couple of the main originators besides Sabbath. They will definitely be in eventually.

    Also, they have the numbers to back it up as far as record sales, huge tours etc.

    I prefer to call it the Eclectic Conglomerate of Cultural Music Hall of Fame. Some of this stuff is not even close to rock and roll.

  • Maybe this isn't the right forum for this topic, but here goes anyway:

    Here is this year's class of Inductees into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame:

    ABBA

    Genesis

    The Hollies

    The Stooges

    Jimmy Cliff

    Issues/Questions:

    A. If a pop superstar group like ABBA is to be inducted, why not a pop superstar like Neil Diamond and Barbara Streisand?

    B. Genesis is like the first progressive rock band to make it. An overlooked genre.

    C. The Hollies were in with the British Invasion.

    D. Jimmy Cliff was a reggae pioneer. Except for he and Bob Marley, what other reggae acts are in or are considered?

    E. The Stooges were a pioneer of the punk genre.

    Groups NOT inducted:

    Perhaps the biggest surprise is that the Red Hot Chili Peppers weren't inducted. I suspect they will be soon. Also overlooked:

    Jethro Tull

    Journey

    Joe Cocker

    Alice Cooper

    Deep Purple

    Dire Straits

    Donovan

    The Doobie Brothers

    Electric Light Orchestra

    Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

    Grand Funk Railroad

    Hall and Oates

    Heart

    Janet Jackson

    King Crimson

    The Monkees

    The Moody Blues

    Ted Nugent

    Rush

    Tina Turner (though she is in as part of Ike and Tina)

    Yes

    Roxy Music

    Todd Rundgren

    various metal groups like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest

    Kool and the Gang

    and feel free to name anyone I left out.

    @the-gipper said:

    Maybe this isn't the right forum for this topic, but here goes anyway:

    Here is this year's class of Inductees into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame:

    ABBA

    Genesis

    The Hollies

    The Stooges

    Jimmy Cliff

    Issues/Questions:

    A. If a pop superstar group like ABBA is to be inducted, why not a pop superstar like Neil Diamond and Barbara Streisand?

    B. Genesis is like the first progressive rock band to make it. An overlooked genre.

    C. The Hollies were in with the British Invasion.

    D. Jimmy Cliff was a reggae pioneer. Except for he and Bob Marley, what other reggae acts are in or are considered?

    E. The Stooges were a pioneer of the punk genre.

    Groups NOT inducted:

    Perhaps the biggest surprise is that the Red Hot Chili Peppers weren't inducted. I suspect they will be soon. Also overlooked:

    Jethro Tull

    Journey

    Joe Cocker

    Alice Cooper

    Deep Purple

    Dire Straits

    Donovan

    The Doobie Brothers

    Electric Light Orchestra

    Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

    Grand Funk Railroad

    Hall and Oates

    Heart

    Janet Jackson

    King Crimson

    The Monkees

    The Moody Blues

    Ted Nugent

    Rush

    Tina Turner (though she is in as part of Ike and Tina)

    Yes

    Roxy Music

    Todd Rundgren

    various metal groups like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest

    Kool and the Gang

    and feel free to name anyone I left out.

    Until Free or Bad Company is inducted, getting Paul Rodgers in....the voice of RR is going to be excluded.

    Paul Rodgers is the best rock singer ever.

  • It's not the Rock N' Roll hall of fame anymore. I am embarrassed of it. F*cking ABBA. Whatever.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Maybe this isn't the right forum for this topic, but here goes anyway:

    Here is this year's class of Inductees into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame:

    ABBA

    Genesis

    The Hollies

    The Stooges

    Jimmy Cliff

    Issues/Questions:

    A. If a pop superstar group like ABBA is to be inducted, why not a pop superstar like Neil Diamond and Barbara Streisand?

    B. Genesis is like the first progressive rock band to make it. An overlooked genre.

    C. The Hollies were in with the British Invasion.

    D. Jimmy Cliff was a reggae pioneer. Except for he and Bob Marley, what other reggae acts are in or are considered?

    E. The Stooges were a pioneer of the punk genre.

    Groups NOT inducted:

    Perhaps the biggest surprise is that the Red Hot Chili Peppers weren't inducted. I suspect they will be soon. Also overlooked:

    Jethro Tull

    Journey

    Joe Cocker

    Alice Cooper

    Deep Purple

    Dire Straits

    Donovan

    The Doobie Brothers

    Electric Light Orchestra

    Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

    Grand Funk Railroad

    Hall and Oates

    Heart

    Janet Jackson

    King Crimson

    The Monkees

    The Moody Blues

    Ted Nugent

    Rush

    Tina Turner (though she is in as part of Ike and Tina)

    Yes

    Roxy Music

    Todd Rundgren

    various metal groups like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest

    Kool and the Gang

    and feel free to name anyone I left out.

    Until Free or Bad Company is inducted, getting Paul Rodgers in....the voice of RR is going to be excluded.

    Paul Rodgers is the best rock singer ever.

    @ballpeen said:

    Until Free or Bad Company is inducted, getting Paul Rodgers in....the voice of RR is going to be excluded.

    Paul Rodgers is the best rock singer ever.

    Peens good seeing ya again my man. Thanks for the shine!!!!

  • The guys against Abba getting in probably don't know where Sweden is.

  • The guys against Abba getting in probably don't know where Sweden is.

    @flipflop said:

    The guys against Abba getting in probably don't know where Sweden is.

    The guys who do want them to get in, like it in the 2 hole. Congrats on liking ABBA.

    p.s. I've been to Stockholm and ABBA sucks balls.

    ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!!

    abba.jpg

  • @flipflop said:

    The guys against Abba getting in probably don't know where Sweden is.

    The guys who do want them to get in, like it in the 2 hole. Congrats on liking ABBA.

    p.s. I've been to Stockholm and ABBA sucks balls.

    ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!!

    abba.jpg

    @kosar_for_president said:

    The guys who do want them to get in, like it in the 2 hole. Congrats on liking ABBA.

    p.s. I've been to Stockholm and ABBA sucks balls.

    ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!!

    abba.jpg

    Rock encompasses a wide range of music.

    The Bee Gees as an example wouldn't be what I call a rock band, but they are in and I don't think many would argue with their inclusion even if they didn't like the Bee Gees.

    While ABBA is clearly at the opposite end of the Rock spectrum from say, Nine Inch Nails, their music was widely popular and I don't have any beef with their inclusion even though I never bought any of their records and "Dancing Queen" is about the only song I can remember by title.

    Remember, rock covers a wide range. If you are stuck on the opposite end of that range, I do understand why one would question the inclusion.

    I am sure people who dig the Carpenters don't have much use for Meticallica. It doesn't make them correct either.

  • @kosar_for_president said:

    The guys who do want them to get in, like it in the 2 hole. Congrats on liking ABBA.

    p.s. I've been to Stockholm and ABBA sucks balls.

    ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!!

    abba.jpg

    Rock encompasses a wide range of music.

    The Bee Gees as an example wouldn't be what I call a rock band, but they are in and I don't think many would argue with their inclusion even if they didn't like the Bee Gees.

    While ABBA is clearly at the opposite end of the Rock spectrum from say, Nine Inch Nails, their music was widely popular and I don't have any beef with their inclusion even though I never bought any of their records and "Dancing Queen" is about the only song I can remember by title.

    Remember, rock covers a wide range. If you are stuck on the opposite end of that range, I do understand why one would question the inclusion.

    I am sure people who dig the Carpenters don't have much use for Meticallica. It doesn't make them correct either.

    @ballpeen said:

    While ABBA is clearly at the opposite end of the Rock spectrum from say, Nine Inch Nails, their music was widely popular and I don't have any beef with their inclusion even though I never bought any of their records and "Dancing Queen" is about the only song I can remember by title.

    Remember, rock covers a wide range. If you are stuck on the opposite end of that range, I do understand why one would question the inclusion.

    I am sure people who dig the Carpenters don't have much use for Meticallica. It doesn't make them correct either.

    Funny...don't you remember ABBA's Fernando? Weird Al Yankovic could do an "Albert Belle" version.....I was running down to 2nd base, I smashed your face, Fernando (Vina).....

    Also, I have both The Carpenters & Metallica on my MP3 player, FYI. You are profiling me, lol.

    I take on the RRHOF is simply it is waaaaay too subjective, and cannot possibly please anybody. I have never visited the place, because my favorite, Black Sabbath, was snubbed for far too long. If it was up to me, the first class of inductees would have been the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Who, Elvis, CSNY, & Pink Floyd. I never attended any party or event where people say "can you put on some Joni Mitchell or Billy Joel?"

    We all have different tastes in music, so having a RRHOF doesn't make sense.

  • I just read a book "the history of R and R by Robert Palmer, the NYT rock critic (dunno if it's the old pop singer) and wasn't very taken by it.

    It was well written enough but bored me.

    The entire hook was tracing the "rock n roll" back through the African to Negro spiritual though blues through soul.

    Spnt most of the time on Howlin' Wolf and James Brown Stax Motown etc.

    Though I realize that was one of the roots of R and R it doesn't interest me a lot.

    Even though the Beatles and Stones recorrded some R and B standards I'm way more in touch with where they went from there.

    Procol Harum was king of blues based BUT it was the classical influence I liked.

    So to a purist only hard bop is jazz.

    Matter of fact there are factions that say if you play 5 notes the same twice in a tune it isn't jazz anymore.

    Same with rock and roll.

    Just different flavors.

    I'm as big a music snob as anybody BUT when I step back I have to admit that if someone is listening to {insert some band you hate} and is moved by that music then it is just as valid as anything {insert band you love} ever recorded.

    WSS

  • @calfoxwc said:

    I'll stick to country. I don't think the Three Stooges sang worth a darn in their movies...

    I beg to disagree. Here is the evidence:

    @the-gipper said:

    I beg to disagree. Here is the evidence:

    Curly was one partying MF! He died way to young from it.