Skip to content

Rock n roll HOF

The Browns Board
48 14 2.8k
  • I'll stick to country. I don't think the Three Stooges sang worth a darn in their movies...

    @calfoxwc said:

    I'll stick to country. I don't think the Three Stooges sang worth a darn in their movies...

    I beg to disagree. Here is the evidence:

  • wss

  • Maiden and Priest should already be in.

  • ROF,L.... "ahem"

    Okay, maybe I was wrong, GGG, but I still

    second the motion to get Steve into the Rock n Roll HOF.

    It's petition time, maybe.

  • Westside Steve needs to be inducted.

    @atenears said:

    Westside Steve needs to be inducted.

    You mean Committed.

  • Maiden and Priest should already be in.

    @riffer-x said:

    Maiden and Priest should already be in.

    Ah, here is the rub. Two bands that I probably wouldn't give the time of day to, and you want them into the RRHOF. Everyone has their favorite genre that perhaps they feel is overlooked.

  • OK, here is something I have been working on re this category, because it came up with the selection of the Swedish ABBA into the RRHOF, and that is: What country of origin makes up the inductees into the RRHOF. Here is the answer:

    Sweden: 1, ABBA

    Mexico: 1, Santana (born and raised, later moved to US)

    Australia: 1, AC/DC

    Ireland: 2, U2, Van Morrison

    Jamaica: 3, Bob Marley, Chris Blackwell, Jimmy Cliff

    Canada: 4, The Band, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen

    England/Australia mix: 1, The BeeGees

    Canada/US mix: 1, Buffalo Springfield

    England/US mix: 4, Fleetwood Mac, The Police, Crosby Stills and Nash, the Pretenders

    Denmark/US mix: 1, Metallica

    The UK: 28 acts (in order of induction):

    The Beatles

    The Rolling Stones

    The Who

    The Kinks

    The Yardbirds

    Cream

    The Animals

    Rod Stewart

    John Lennon

    Elton John

    Led Zeppelin

    David Bowie

    George Martin

    Paul McCartney

    Dusty Springfield

    Eric Clapton

    Queen (though Freddie Mercury was born in Egypt)

    The Clash

    Elvis Costello

    Traffic

    George Harrison

    The Sex Pistols

    Black Sabbath

    Dave Clark 5

    Jeff Beck

    The Hollies

    Genesis

    And there are 201 acts/sidemen/contributors who originate from the USA in the RRHOF. I am not going to list them all, though I will note simply that the Van Halen brothers were born in The Netherlands before coming here as young children, and that Leonard Chess was born in Poland before coming here, that both Ahmet Ertegun and Neshui Ertegun were born in Turkey and that Bill Graham was born in Germany as Wolfgang Gratoncla

  • @atenears said:

    Westside Steve needs to be inducted.

    You mean Committed.

    @chicopee-john said:

    You mean Committed.

    hahahahahahahah

    Steve's a cool dude, enjoyed BSing with him at the tailgate.

  • @riffer-x said:

    Maiden and Priest should already be in.

    Ah, here is the rub. Two bands that I probably wouldn't give the time of day to, and you want them into the RRHOF. Everyone has their favorite genre that perhaps they feel is overlooked.

    @the-gipper said:

    Ah, here is the rub. Two bands that I probably wouldn't give the time of day to, and you want them into the RRHOF. Everyone has their favorite genre that perhaps they feel is overlooked.

    Well, metal/hard rock is a pretty big genre and these two are a couple of the main originators besides Sabbath. They will definitely be in eventually.

    Also, they have the numbers to back it up as far as record sales, huge tours etc.

    I prefer to call it the Eclectic Conglomerate of Cultural Music Hall of Fame. Some of this stuff is not even close to rock and roll.

  • Maybe this isn't the right forum for this topic, but here goes anyway:

    Here is this year's class of Inductees into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame:

    ABBA

    Genesis

    The Hollies

    The Stooges

    Jimmy Cliff

    Issues/Questions:

    A. If a pop superstar group like ABBA is to be inducted, why not a pop superstar like Neil Diamond and Barbara Streisand?

    B. Genesis is like the first progressive rock band to make it. An overlooked genre.

    C. The Hollies were in with the British Invasion.

    D. Jimmy Cliff was a reggae pioneer. Except for he and Bob Marley, what other reggae acts are in or are considered?

    E. The Stooges were a pioneer of the punk genre.

    Groups NOT inducted:

    Perhaps the biggest surprise is that the Red Hot Chili Peppers weren't inducted. I suspect they will be soon. Also overlooked:

    Jethro Tull

    Journey

    Joe Cocker

    Alice Cooper

    Deep Purple

    Dire Straits

    Donovan

    The Doobie Brothers

    Electric Light Orchestra

    Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

    Grand Funk Railroad

    Hall and Oates

    Heart

    Janet Jackson

    King Crimson

    The Monkees

    The Moody Blues

    Ted Nugent

    Rush

    Tina Turner (though she is in as part of Ike and Tina)

    Yes

    Roxy Music

    Todd Rundgren

    various metal groups like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest

    Kool and the Gang

    and feel free to name anyone I left out.

    @the-gipper said:

    Maybe this isn't the right forum for this topic, but here goes anyway:

    Here is this year's class of Inductees into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame:

    ABBA

    Genesis

    The Hollies

    The Stooges

    Jimmy Cliff

    Issues/Questions:

    A. If a pop superstar group like ABBA is to be inducted, why not a pop superstar like Neil Diamond and Barbara Streisand?

    B. Genesis is like the first progressive rock band to make it. An overlooked genre.

    C. The Hollies were in with the British Invasion.

    D. Jimmy Cliff was a reggae pioneer. Except for he and Bob Marley, what other reggae acts are in or are considered?

    E. The Stooges were a pioneer of the punk genre.

    Groups NOT inducted:

    Perhaps the biggest surprise is that the Red Hot Chili Peppers weren't inducted. I suspect they will be soon. Also overlooked:

    Jethro Tull

    Journey

    Joe Cocker

    Alice Cooper

    Deep Purple

    Dire Straits

    Donovan

    The Doobie Brothers

    Electric Light Orchestra

    Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

    Grand Funk Railroad

    Hall and Oates

    Heart

    Janet Jackson

    King Crimson

    The Monkees

    The Moody Blues

    Ted Nugent

    Rush

    Tina Turner (though she is in as part of Ike and Tina)

    Yes

    Roxy Music

    Todd Rundgren

    various metal groups like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest

    Kool and the Gang

    and feel free to name anyone I left out.

    Until Free or Bad Company is inducted, getting Paul Rodgers in....the voice of RR is going to be excluded.

    Paul Rodgers is the best rock singer ever.

  • It's not the Rock N' Roll hall of fame anymore. I am embarrassed of it. F*cking ABBA. Whatever.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Maybe this isn't the right forum for this topic, but here goes anyway:

    Here is this year's class of Inductees into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame:

    ABBA

    Genesis

    The Hollies

    The Stooges

    Jimmy Cliff

    Issues/Questions:

    A. If a pop superstar group like ABBA is to be inducted, why not a pop superstar like Neil Diamond and Barbara Streisand?

    B. Genesis is like the first progressive rock band to make it. An overlooked genre.

    C. The Hollies were in with the British Invasion.

    D. Jimmy Cliff was a reggae pioneer. Except for he and Bob Marley, what other reggae acts are in or are considered?

    E. The Stooges were a pioneer of the punk genre.

    Groups NOT inducted:

    Perhaps the biggest surprise is that the Red Hot Chili Peppers weren't inducted. I suspect they will be soon. Also overlooked:

    Jethro Tull

    Journey

    Joe Cocker

    Alice Cooper

    Deep Purple

    Dire Straits

    Donovan

    The Doobie Brothers

    Electric Light Orchestra

    Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

    Grand Funk Railroad

    Hall and Oates

    Heart

    Janet Jackson

    King Crimson

    The Monkees

    The Moody Blues

    Ted Nugent

    Rush

    Tina Turner (though she is in as part of Ike and Tina)

    Yes

    Roxy Music

    Todd Rundgren

    various metal groups like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest

    Kool and the Gang

    and feel free to name anyone I left out.

    Until Free or Bad Company is inducted, getting Paul Rodgers in....the voice of RR is going to be excluded.

    Paul Rodgers is the best rock singer ever.

    @ballpeen said:

    Until Free or Bad Company is inducted, getting Paul Rodgers in....the voice of RR is going to be excluded.

    Paul Rodgers is the best rock singer ever.

    Peens good seeing ya again my man. Thanks for the shine!!!!

  • The guys against Abba getting in probably don't know where Sweden is.

  • The guys against Abba getting in probably don't know where Sweden is.

    @flipflop said:

    The guys against Abba getting in probably don't know where Sweden is.

    The guys who do want them to get in, like it in the 2 hole. Congrats on liking ABBA.

    p.s. I've been to Stockholm and ABBA sucks balls.

    ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!!

    abba.jpg

  • @flipflop said:

    The guys against Abba getting in probably don't know where Sweden is.

    The guys who do want them to get in, like it in the 2 hole. Congrats on liking ABBA.

    p.s. I've been to Stockholm and ABBA sucks balls.

    ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!!

    abba.jpg

    @kosar_for_president said:

    The guys who do want them to get in, like it in the 2 hole. Congrats on liking ABBA.

    p.s. I've been to Stockholm and ABBA sucks balls.

    ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!!

    abba.jpg

    Rock encompasses a wide range of music.

    The Bee Gees as an example wouldn't be what I call a rock band, but they are in and I don't think many would argue with their inclusion even if they didn't like the Bee Gees.

    While ABBA is clearly at the opposite end of the Rock spectrum from say, Nine Inch Nails, their music was widely popular and I don't have any beef with their inclusion even though I never bought any of their records and "Dancing Queen" is about the only song I can remember by title.

    Remember, rock covers a wide range. If you are stuck on the opposite end of that range, I do understand why one would question the inclusion.

    I am sure people who dig the Carpenters don't have much use for Meticallica. It doesn't make them correct either.

  • @kosar_for_president said:

    The guys who do want them to get in, like it in the 2 hole. Congrats on liking ABBA.

    p.s. I've been to Stockholm and ABBA sucks balls.

    ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!!

    abba.jpg

    Rock encompasses a wide range of music.

    The Bee Gees as an example wouldn't be what I call a rock band, but they are in and I don't think many would argue with their inclusion even if they didn't like the Bee Gees.

    While ABBA is clearly at the opposite end of the Rock spectrum from say, Nine Inch Nails, their music was widely popular and I don't have any beef with their inclusion even though I never bought any of their records and "Dancing Queen" is about the only song I can remember by title.

    Remember, rock covers a wide range. If you are stuck on the opposite end of that range, I do understand why one would question the inclusion.

    I am sure people who dig the Carpenters don't have much use for Meticallica. It doesn't make them correct either.

    @ballpeen said:

    While ABBA is clearly at the opposite end of the Rock spectrum from say, Nine Inch Nails, their music was widely popular and I don't have any beef with their inclusion even though I never bought any of their records and "Dancing Queen" is about the only song I can remember by title.

    Remember, rock covers a wide range. If you are stuck on the opposite end of that range, I do understand why one would question the inclusion.

    I am sure people who dig the Carpenters don't have much use for Meticallica. It doesn't make them correct either.

    Funny...don't you remember ABBA's Fernando? Weird Al Yankovic could do an "Albert Belle" version.....I was running down to 2nd base, I smashed your face, Fernando (Vina).....

    Also, I have both The Carpenters & Metallica on my MP3 player, FYI. You are profiling me, lol.

    I take on the RRHOF is simply it is waaaaay too subjective, and cannot possibly please anybody. I have never visited the place, because my favorite, Black Sabbath, was snubbed for far too long. If it was up to me, the first class of inductees would have been the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Who, Elvis, CSNY, & Pink Floyd. I never attended any party or event where people say "can you put on some Joni Mitchell or Billy Joel?"

    We all have different tastes in music, so having a RRHOF doesn't make sense.

  • I just read a book "the history of R and R by Robert Palmer, the NYT rock critic (dunno if it's the old pop singer) and wasn't very taken by it.

    It was well written enough but bored me.

    The entire hook was tracing the "rock n roll" back through the African to Negro spiritual though blues through soul.

    Spnt most of the time on Howlin' Wolf and James Brown Stax Motown etc.

    Though I realize that was one of the roots of R and R it doesn't interest me a lot.

    Even though the Beatles and Stones recorrded some R and B standards I'm way more in touch with where they went from there.

    Procol Harum was king of blues based BUT it was the classical influence I liked.

    So to a purist only hard bop is jazz.

    Matter of fact there are factions that say if you play 5 notes the same twice in a tune it isn't jazz anymore.

    Same with rock and roll.

    Just different flavors.

    I'm as big a music snob as anybody BUT when I step back I have to admit that if someone is listening to {insert some band you hate} and is moved by that music then it is just as valid as anything {insert band you love} ever recorded.

    WSS

  • @calfoxwc said:

    I'll stick to country. I don't think the Three Stooges sang worth a darn in their movies...

    I beg to disagree. Here is the evidence:

    @the-gipper said:

    I beg to disagree. Here is the evidence:

    Curly was one partying MF! He died way to young from it.

  • @kosar_for_president said:

    The guys who do want them to get in, like it in the 2 hole. Congrats on liking ABBA.

    p.s. I've been to Stockholm and ABBA sucks balls.

    ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!!

    abba.jpg

    Rock encompasses a wide range of music.

    The Bee Gees as an example wouldn't be what I call a rock band, but they are in and I don't think many would argue with their inclusion even if they didn't like the Bee Gees.

    While ABBA is clearly at the opposite end of the Rock spectrum from say, Nine Inch Nails, their music was widely popular and I don't have any beef with their inclusion even though I never bought any of their records and "Dancing Queen" is about the only song I can remember by title.

    Remember, rock covers a wide range. If you are stuck on the opposite end of that range, I do understand why one would question the inclusion.

    I am sure people who dig the Carpenters don't have much use for Meticallica. It doesn't make them correct either.

    @ballpeen said:

    Rock encompasses a wide range of music.

    The Bee Gees as an example wouldn't be what I call a rock band, but they are in and I don't think many would argue with their inclusion even if they didn't like the Bee Gees.

    While ABBA is clearly at the opposite end of the Rock spectrum from say, Nine Inch Nails, their music was widely popular and I don't have any beef with their inclusion even though I never bought any of their records and "Dancing Queen" is about the only song I can remember by title.

    Remember, rock covers a wide range. If you are stuck on the opposite end of that range, I do understand why one would question the inclusion.

    I am sure people who dig the Carpenters don't have much use for Meticallica. It doesn't make them correct either.

    I am a huge Carol King and Metallica fan. The Bee Gees wrote some pretty kick ass music. But in NO way should Carol King or Bee Gee's or f*cking Madonna (don't get me started on this chick) be in the Rock N' Roll Hall of fame. That is the first failure of the Rock Hall, they never defined Rock n' Roll. And as I can see they will eventually run out of ROCK bands to put in, well, rock bands that have a record company backing and marketing. The Hall inevitably defined success incorrectly. Abba sold a boat load of albums and that is the Rock Hall's definition of success. Not the fact that they ROCK. For that matter they should of created a Pop Hall of Fame in San Francisco.

  • I just read a book "the history of R and R by Robert Palmer, the NYT rock critic (dunno if it's the old pop singer) and wasn't very taken by it.

    It was well written enough but bored me.

    The entire hook was tracing the "rock n roll" back through the African to Negro spiritual though blues through soul.

    Spnt most of the time on Howlin' Wolf and James Brown Stax Motown etc.

    Though I realize that was one of the roots of R and R it doesn't interest me a lot.

    Even though the Beatles and Stones recorrded some R and B standards I'm way more in touch with where they went from there.

    Procol Harum was king of blues based BUT it was the classical influence I liked.

    So to a purist only hard bop is jazz.

    Matter of fact there are factions that say if you play 5 notes the same twice in a tune it isn't jazz anymore.

    Same with rock and roll.

    Just different flavors.

    I'm as big a music snob as anybody BUT when I step back I have to admit that if someone is listening to {insert some band you hate} and is moved by that music then it is just as valid as anything {insert band you love} ever recorded.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    I'm as big a music snob as anybody BUT when I step back I have to admit that if someone is listening to {insert some band you hate} and is moved by that music then it is just as valid as anything {insert band you love} ever recorded.

    I agree Steve but it's not Rock in my opinion. I think why many people are upset on letting Abba, Madonna and RUN DMC (f*ck that, that is 100% wrong) in the Hall because for the first 15 years or so, they inductees were based on soul or rock. They defined rock and the Hall by the bands they inducted in the first 20 years or so. THEY DID IT. Then they start running out of bands who sold 50 million records and need to save face. It's phony. Just wait, in 10 years you will see Back Street Boys and Celine Dion get in, just watch. Which are NO different then bullshit Madonna puts out. All sold 30 million of one album. They got money and need more publicity, put them into the Rock Hall. You think Abba just sold another million records, upon getting inducted, YES! What a sham.

    I think of anyone Steve you would respect this view point.