Holmgren's Decision Made
-
I never said he was a nobody. I said he was trying to make his reputation more well known POSSIBLY. Its not like he is Stuart Scott either you know.
Wasn't responding to you directly. You can see that other posters implied that he was a nobody.
La Canfora's been reporting this consistently - check out this post from about a week ago.
'Jason La Canfora said:
Mike Holmgren, the new team president, told the media Monday that he has not made a final decision on Mangini. However, according to sources with knowledge of the situation, Holmgren has done plenty of due diligence since taking the job, and Mangini’s difficulties dealing with players, co-workers, team employees, etc., dating back to his time as coach of the Jets, when coupled with the on-field performance of his teams, make it virtually certain Holmgren will change coaches in the coming weeks.Holmgren will meet with Mangini next Monday when he comes to Cleveland and then will conduct a press conference with the media. By the following week, look for a wholesale reconstruction of the Browns organization to begin, with sweeping changes being made throughout football operations, coaching, etc. Mangini shares no coaching roots with Holmgren and comes from a tree diametrically different from the West Coast system Holmgren will implement. Unless something changes dramatically, and given the homework already conducted, that’s highly unlikely. It’s more a matter of when than if a new coach arrives.
Wasn't responding to you directly. You can see that other posters implied that he was a nobody.
La Canfora's been reporting this consistently - check out this post from about a week ago.
I won't say he's a nobody- but I'd sure like to know who his sources are before I start believing him.
If Holmgren cans him because it's WCO or bust, and Mangini turns into BBII, well, that won't look so good.
-
Well lets hope clearer heads prevail.
It's pretty clear Randy panicked but what's done is done.
WSS
-
Well lets hope clearer heads prevail.
It's pretty clear Randy panicked but what's done is done.
WSS
Well lets hope clearer heads prevail.
It's pretty clear Randy panicked but what's done is done.
WSS
I agree.
What is clear is randy has a history of making bad choices as they relate to the Browns. So with the hiring of Holmgren we are left to wonder if he followed his own decision making trend, or hope he beat the odds.
-
Metcalf_FTW said:
I think Holmgren may be a mistake.agreed, this guy is gonna set the browns back another 5 years(if this is true of course).
I bet Mangini will end up becoming a DC somewhere, and then will eventually become a HC again, sigh. Is anyone actually convinced that a guy who was working in a retirement home and a mediocre coach who had his play calling duties stripped and given to the aforementioned guy better than Mangini?
Screw you Holmgren if this is true, Lerner is a moron.
agreed, this guy is gonna set the browns back another 5 years(if this is true of course).
I bet Mangini will end up becoming a DC somewhere, and then will eventually become a HC again, sigh. Is anyone actually convinced that a guy who was working in a retirement home and a mediocre coach who had his play calling duties stripped and given to the aforementioned guy better than Mangini?
Screw you Holmgren if this is true, Lerner is a moron.
Give it a break already! We don't know what is happening yet and you already want Holmgren fired! I don't think he will fire Mangini, but if he does I will still support the Browns. Lets see if there are any press conferences announced for today or this week. Then we will know for sure. Until then its all speculation.
-
From Jason LaCanfora here...
Zorn and his former offensive coordinator, Sherman Smith, likely will land in Cleveland as assistants once new Browns president Mike Holmgren makes a coaching change there. I have heard for a week now that Holmgren is intent on letting Eric Mangini go as coach. Also, Randy Mueller is a top candidate to be the Browns' GM. Holmgren was scheduled to meet with Mangini on Monday, then could meet the media as soon as Tuesday, perhaps announcing some changes then.
I would like to think that Mike Holmgren would do some due diligence and interview players and talk to the coach but if LaCanfora is to be believed...then tomorrow's meeting is merely a formality so that someone like Marty Mornhinwheg can be the coach. If this is true, then Mangini was never going to get a chance nor was he coaching to save his job as it was a fait accomplit in Holmgren's mind.
I guess it's all about Holmgren and pressing the "reset" button because he can. That's disappointing.
From Jason LaCanfora here...
I would like to think that Mike Holmgren would do some due diligence and interview players and talk to the coach but if LaCanfora is to be believed...then tomorrow's meeting is merely a formality so that someone like Marty Mornhinwheg can be the coach. If this is true, then Mangini was never going to get a chance nor was he coaching to save his job as it was a fait accomplit in Holmgren's mind.
I guess it's all about Holmgren and pressing the "reset" button because he can. That's disappointing.
Marty Mornhinwheg PROVED there is a big difference between being an Offensive Coordinator for a STRONG Head Coach and being a Head Coach for a team in transition (as did RAC for that matter). He's been like the Dom Capers of offense that works fine as a the coordinator of only 1 unit.
I'm just a knucklehead holding a bag of pretzels and a few pops on game day. BUT how many COORDINATORS are we gonna go through only to realize in hindsight that there's more to being a Head Coach for a franchise in transition than a coordinator from a perfect environment elsewhere? If Marty was the right guy - he's still in Detroit being celebrated as the Moses of the Motor City. They sent him back to another STRONG head Coach with his tail between his fanny cheeks.
And Zorn? How can we get jacked about him?
Don't know much about Mueller. I read somebody that was worried about him coming but I can't recall who that was.
My HOPE is weren't not becoming the Baltimore Orioles of Pro Football if any of these rumors happen. If you didn't like Mangini's offense - you might want to take a look at how happy and healthy guys like Clinton Portis, Chris Cooley, and Santana Moss remained in DC. The knock on Campbell is how long he holds onto the ball and how bad he sees the field. If you didn't like Daboll, you're gonna gag on Zorn.
I really think if this stuff comes true - I'm gonna stop investing so much time into hope and excitement. There's a foundation of promise that means ZERO if we fire the FIRST person that gave us a 4 game winning streak from scratch. We've alredy witnessed from Carmen Policy that hiring the BUDDY does NOT work in Cleveland. Has anyone seen Dwight Clark since?
- Tom F. (Just when I started to feel real good about the direction of this team I have to read about Marty's Morningsickness and Jim Zorn. Where's the upgrade?)
-
You guys act like you're happy to be 5-11
-
suns said:
Mangini instead of Zorn!! pleasee!!I don't think it said Zorn would be a candidate for HC....it said possibly on the staff....which i took as OC....
-
You guys act like you're happy to be 5-11
Chickenwang said:
You guys act like you're happy to be 5-11it should be 5-10-1
but yes I am happy the Browns won 4 in a row to close out the season. Go back and watch the Adrian Peterson 64 yard TD run in week one and compare that to the way the defense tackled and played in the final 4 weeks and tell me there was not a tremendous improvement over the course of the season.
Rome wasn't built in a day, and it would have taken a millennium if they had to tear down a huge pile of shit on each of the seven hills.
-
suns said:
Mangini instead of Zorn!! pleasee!!I don't think it said Zorn would be a candidate for HC....it said possibly on the staff....which i took as OC....
I don't think it said Zorn would be a candidate for HC....it said possibly on the staff....which i took as OC....
Yep...that's what is said...
Zorn and his former offensive coordinator, Sherman Smith, likely will land in Cleveland as assistants once new Browns president Mike Holmgren makes a coaching change there.
-
here is what i think the hole thing will depend on: mangini's willingness to accept the fact that he isn't in charge. he has a huge ego and wants to be in charge. that's why he brought in kokinas: to bully and push him around. if he can honestly tell holmgren that he can take orders and not be in charge then i think that holmgren will keep him. if he still wants to do things his way then he is gone. holmgren has a huge ego too and will want a guy in here that he can bully around. make no mistake though, he is in charge and isn't afraid to let people know about it.
-
If Mangini is fired, I might honestly lose all hope I once had for this franchise being a contender again.
-
It just has me worried a little because even though LaCanfora has been saying this same thing for like 6 or 7 weeks now, it's so close to the actual decision Holmgren will make and I just have this sinking feeling like Holmgren has his own agendas for this team other than being a FO type.
-
I think people need to read and digest what was siad regarding Zorn and his possible role with the team.
-
Whatever conclusion Holmgren arrived at on Friday about Mangini or bringing in a new coach, has to be re-evaluated because of what has developed over the past 24hrs in the caoching market.
Shannahan (and his wife) are being courted in Washinton. Flown out there on the Redskins private plane. He will be offered more money than anywhere else.
Cowher is interviewing with Buffalo with his real interest in Carolina. He supposedly has an agreement with Rooney to not land within the division.
Hopefully if Holmgren releases Mangini, he has someone (big) already in his pocket as he better not walk in here with some unproven coordinator. That won't fly.
-
If Mangini is fired in order to bring in Zorn as the HC, I will personally start up the Fire Mike Holmgren Fan Club!
-
No where does it mention Zorn as Head Coach.
It says expect him to be on the coaching staff as an assistant.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login