Skip to content

HOLMGREN'S MAIN POINTS

The Browns Board
49 25 3.0k
  • @clevelandfanforlife said:

    i just remembered something: the best part of the press conference was when he took a cheap shot at oakland. i almost died laughing.

    "There's never been a team where the guy in charge starts pounding on the desk 'I'm gonna take this guy and I don't care what anyone says', well, maybe there's one team."

    @beefjerky said:

    "There's never been a team where the guy in charge starts pounding on the desk 'I'm gonna take this guy and I don't care what anyone says', well, maybe there's one team."

    How about Butch Davis taking Big Money when everyone in the room was pushing for Richard Seymour.....

  • i agree with all of the previous posters in this thread, i was thoroughly impressed with mh's presser. it was very refreshing to hear a guy be so upfront and honest.

    i also like how mh blasted marty from cbs.com. HAHA, what a dumb*ss marty was.

  • I have to say that this is really promising in the sense that my interpretation of Mike's comments is:

    Here are two guys who legitimately are curious to see if they can co-exist and build a winner in an unconventional way when all the pundits say that they can't because they had different teachers.

    I said this a long time ago, but, I think Mike Holmgren gave Eric a list of things that would be sticking points (e.g., would you be willing to fire or demote Brian Daboll) in addition to trying to figure out Eric's football IQ. If Eric can concede some power and is willing to play on Holmgren's terms...you could see the birth of a new way of doing things in the NFL.

  • mh said he isn't going to coach the team, but he would love to contribute to the offense. he said if someone wanted to knock on his door and ask for his advice or input on the offense, he would be all for it.

    he also stressed, more than once, that the entire fo and coaching staff HAS TO BE on the same page in order for the team to succeed.

  • - Meeting with Mangini tomorrow

    - Tom Heckert meeting tomorrow as well

    - Cannot disclose other GM candidates

    - Mangini has legitimate chance of "winning over" Holmgren

    - Possible multiple meetings with Mangini

    - Will have answer on Mangini's job status by the end of the week

    - Holmgren has been in contact with Cribb's agents even before coming to Cleveland

    - Holmgren seems shaky on rewriting Cribb's contract however

    - Notes 4 game winning streak is a positive for Mangini

    - "There is alot more to how this is going to play out than the last four games"

    - Not going to micromanage. Hiring people for every position

    - Other positions in the process of being decided. Will have better picture next week

    - Gave Mangini a list of notes to prepare for tomorrow's meeting

    - Holmgren meeting with Lerner tomorrow.

    - "If change is necessary, it will take place" via other positions

    - Has not talked to any coaching candidates until he makes decision with Mangini

    - West Coast offense does not matter as long as winning is in the future

    - Wants to contribute to the offensive aspect of the game, but does not want to coach the team

    - Drafting and FA duties have not been set, Holmgren "doesn't want to do everything"

    - Would take advice from all coaches and GM's about drafting

    - When asked about missing coaching, he said "I think I said I wasn't going to coach THIS YEAR."

    - Notes it will be a long process

    There ya have it. Let me know if I missed anything.

    @theclevelandsound said:

    - Gave Mangini a list of notes to prepare for tomorrow's meeting

    - When asked about missing coaching, he said "I think I said I wasn't going to coach THIS YEAR."

    Regarding having Mangini prepare certain items, this is a subtle way of letting him (and the media) know who is in charge. He didn't need to slip that into his comments, so it did have purpose.

    i only saw a small segment (which included the above). Regarding the the answer he gave on missing coaching, did Holmgren add the emphasis that you indicated? If so, he just moved down a notch on my scale.

  • this is very exciting for anyone that loves the ins and outs of football that leads to the success on game day. this is the first time since the browns have been back in the nfl that i have heard someone that understands what it takes to win in this league.

  • @theclevelandsound said:

    - Gave Mangini a list of notes to prepare for tomorrow's meeting

    - When asked about missing coaching, he said "I think I said I wasn't going to coach THIS YEAR."

    Regarding having Mangini prepare certain items, this is a subtle way of letting him (and the media) know who is in charge. He didn't need to slip that into his comments, so it did have purpose.

    i only saw a small segment (which included the above). Regarding the the answer he gave on missing coaching, did Holmgren add the emphasis that you indicated? If so, he just moved down a notch on my scale.

    @roach said:

    Regarding having Mangini prepare certain items, this is a subtle way of letting him (and the media) know who is in charge. He didn't need to slip that into his comments, so it did have purpose.

    i only saw a small segment (which included the above). Regarding the the answer he gave on missing coaching, did Holmgren add the emphasis that you indicated? If so, he just moved down a notch on my scale.

    he followed up that, "coaching this year comment", by saying that he wasn't going to coach. he's going to have someone other than himself coaching the browns and he believes in moving foward, not backwards (foward meaning being the prez). he said he is going to embrace his new role as prez, but he wouldn't have no problem if someone asked for his input on the offense.

  • @roach said:

    Regarding having Mangini prepare certain items, this is a subtle way of letting him (and the media) know who is in charge. He didn't need to slip that into his comments, so it did have purpose.

    i only saw a small segment (which included the above). Regarding the the answer he gave on missing coaching, did Holmgren add the emphasis that you indicated? If so, he just moved down a notch on my scale.

    he followed up that, "coaching this year comment", by saying that he wasn't going to coach. he's going to have someone other than himself coaching the browns and he believes in moving foward, not backwards (foward meaning being the prez). he said he is going to embrace his new role as prez, but he wouldn't have no problem if someone asked for his input on the offense.

    @sj_browns said:

    he followed up that, "coaching this year comment", by saying that he wasn't going to coach. he's going to have someone other than himself coaching the browns and he believes in moving foward, not backwards (foward meaning being the prez). he said he is going to embrace his new role as prez, but he would have no problem if someone to asked for his input on the offense.

    I am loving it and that the fact Holmgren is here. We finally got someone good. I am excited for the draft and of course, next season. If we can somehow keep Mangini, I will be really happy.

  • I would LOVE to see those "notes" he gave to Mangini to prepare for the meeting tomorrow!

    1. Are you going going to be a stubborn secretive jackass next year?

    2. What the fvck happened with Kokinas?

    3. Who's da boss bitch? ME!

  • I would LOVE to see those "notes" he gave to Mangini to prepare for the meeting tomorrow!

    1. Are you going going to be a stubborn secretive jackass next year?

    2. What the fvck happened with Kokinas?

    3. Who's da boss bitch? ME!

    @bonedawg said:

    I would LOVE to see those "notes" he gave to Mangini to prepare for the meeting tomorrow!

    1. Are you going going to be a stubborn secretive jackass next year?

    2. What the fvck happened with Kokinas?

    3. Who's da boss bitch? ME!

    😆 @3.

    did you hear mh's comment about "little kingdoms" existing in a football orginization? i think one of the main things mh wants to know about mangini is if he can exist with the browns even though he can't be a dictator and if he can be a team player.

    i bet that mh knows all about the kokinis/aponte debacle and other things that were counterproductive (hence the comment about his decision being based on more than a 4 game winning streak).

  • @clevelandfanforlife said:

    i just remembered something: the best part of the press conference was when he took a cheap shot at oakland. i almost died laughing.

    "There's never been a team where the guy in charge starts pounding on the desk 'I'm gonna take this guy and I don't care what anyone says', well, maybe there's one team."

    @beefjerky said:

    "There's never been a team where the guy in charge starts pounding on the desk 'I'm gonna take this guy and I don't care what anyone says', well, maybe there's one team."

    That was fan-fricken-tastic! I laughed out loud when I heard him say that.

  • @clevelandfanforlife said:

    i just remembered something: the best part of the press conference was when he took a cheap shot at oakland. i almost died laughing.

    I missed that part.

    I have all of the main points and full quotes saved on my computer. Just doin my job as a journalism student.

    @theclevelandsound said:

    I missed that part.

    I have all of the main points and full quotes saved on my computer. Just doin my job as a journalism student.

    I'd say you did a fine job. Go look at the OBR recap and I think you hit the same high points they did.

  • What did he say about Oakland? I missed that part.

    Metcalf_FTW said:

    What did he say about Oakland? I missed that part.

    He didn't say "Oakland" but you gotta know that's what he was talking about... go up and read a couple posts and you'll get it I think.

  • Metcalf_FTW said:

    What did he say about Oakland? I missed that part.

    He didn't say "Oakland" but you gotta know that's what he was talking about... go up and read a couple posts and you'll get it I think.

    @thaak said:

    He didn't say "Oakland" but you gotta know that's what he was talking about... go up and read a couple posts and you'll get it I think.

    exactly. it sounds alot like the al davis dictatorship that's running the raaaaiiiiiidas.

  • I liked that he mentioned not just returning to the playoffs, but wasn't afraid to use the word 'SUPERBOWL' like many have been here associated with this franchise.

    He mentioned the snow here in Cleveland often ... I think it must have caught him off guard upon his arrive. We have gotten a lot of snow here this past week with more snow forecasted all week long.

    He gave Mangini a list of things to prepare for tomorrow for when they meet.

    Holmgren stressed not having any ego's in the building or small pockets of power base. Everyone will be on the same page and fit-in or they won't be here. This is the one area you could tell that he has a lot of feeling out of Mangini with. I think he wants to keep Mangini, but wants to make sure he can play his roll alongside others playing theirs.

    He thought the idea of having this emergency to solve the Cribbs deal when there is still 3yrs remaining on his contract was a bit out of character in this league, but he could see where it is stemming from and believe a players deserves to be awarded for their accomplishments and that Cribbs fits that bill.

    Lerner didn't make it because of bad weather ... cough, cough, BULLSHIT!, cough, cough ....

    He can live with Mangini (or the coach) coming from a different coaching tree, or with a different philosophy. He mentioned wanting or liking to give input on the offensive side of the ball, but stressed that he will not coach the team. that will be the coaches responsibility.

    Holmgren is well spoken and really took the time to try to learn each local reporters name, even having most repeat themselves when introducing themselves.

    All-in-all, not much News, but I came away thinking that this place will be ran well with no stupid bullshit or roadblocks for anyone within the organization not to succeed.

    @atenears said:

    Lerner didn't make it because of bad weather ... cough, cough, BULLSHIT!, cough, cough ....

    OK....Lerner doesn't like the cameras....that is the way it goes sometimes....The NE has also been hammered with snow...and commercial traffic at airports get priority over private traffic....it's that way anywhere...I have many times wanted to lock though off the lake on to the Tennessee River...plan on sitting there for 5 hours if a tug with 3 barges is in line....in other words....forget the river trip.

    Commercial customers always get priority.

    I guess he could have flown commercial, but if I didn't have to, I wouldn't either.....neither would you.

  • I have to say that this is really promising in the sense that my interpretation of Mike's comments is:

    Here are two guys who legitimately are curious to see if they can co-exist and build a winner in an unconventional way when all the pundits say that they can't because they had different teachers.

    I said this a long time ago, but, I think Mike Holmgren gave Eric a list of things that would be sticking points (e.g., would you be willing to fire or demote Brian Daboll) in addition to trying to figure out Eric's football IQ. If Eric can concede some power and is willing to play on Holmgren's terms...you could see the birth of a new way of doing things in the NFL.

    @earl34 said:

    I have to say that this is really promising in the sense that my interpretation of Mike's comments is:

    Here are two guys who legitimately are curious to see if they can co-exist and build a winner in an unconventional way when all the pundits say that they can't because they had different teachers.

    I said this a long time ago, but, I think Mike Holmgren gave Eric a list of things that would be sticking points (e.g., would you be willing to fire or demote Brian Daboll) in addition to trying to figure out Eric's football IQ. If Eric can concede some power and is willing to play on Holmgren's terms...you could see the birth of a new way of doing things in the NFL.

    Earl,

    Agree with everything in here. Especially the excellent point you make of how we might have two guys who might be alike in thinking that let's give a big eff you to everyone and work WITH each other and pull this off.

    Also, your speculation about the Show's pre-meeting points to EM matches mine. I think he tasked EM to think about where he stands on certain changes within the staff and also on what he expects his adjusted role regarding the draft should

    be.

  • Sorry, but one more thing. If The Show can handle the draft as well as he handles press conferences, the playoffs will be coming to the lakefront sooner rather than later.

  • I found it interesting after the Holmgren presser when Bruce Drennan talked to Jim Donovan.

    Donovan said Holmgren hit it out of the park with the press conference ( I guess Jim's job

    is secure).The interesting part was when Bruce asked Donovan about Mangini. Donovan said

    more than once that Mangini is gone. He (Donovan) does not feel that they can exist together.

    He said their philosophies do not mix.Just another man's opinion but a man who is a lot closer

    to the situation than any of us are.

    He also said some of the topics Holmgren gave to Mangini to think overe today could have

    included;

    1. What were you thinking about at last year's draft?

    2. What were you thinking about with the QBs last year?

  • @atenears said:

    Lerner didn't make it because of bad weather ... cough, cough, BULLSHIT!, cough, cough ....

    OK....Lerner doesn't like the cameras....that is the way it goes sometimes....The NE has also been hammered with snow...and commercial traffic at airports get priority over private traffic....it's that way anywhere...I have many times wanted to lock though off the lake on to the Tennessee River...plan on sitting there for 5 hours if a tug with 3 barges is in line....in other words....forget the river trip.

    Commercial customers always get priority.

    I guess he could have flown commercial, but if I didn't have to, I wouldn't either.....neither would you.

    @ballpeen said:

    OK....Lerner doesn't like the cameras....that is the way it goes sometimes....The NE has also been hammered with snow...and commercial traffic at airports get priority over private traffic....it's that way anywhere...I have many times wanted to lock though off the lake on to the Tennessee River...plan on sitting there for 5 hours if a tug with 3 barges is in line....in other words....forget the river trip.

    Commercial customers always get priority.

    I guess he could have flown commercial, but if I didn't have to, I wouldn't either.....neither would you.

    not to mention, mh was referring to lerner bing in berea for their meeting, not being at the presser.

  • @ballpeen said:

    OK....Lerner doesn't like the cameras....that is the way it goes sometimes....The NE has also been hammered with snow...and commercial traffic at airports get priority over private traffic....it's that way anywhere...I have many times wanted to lock though off the lake on to the Tennessee River...plan on sitting there for 5 hours if a tug with 3 barges is in line....in other words....forget the river trip.

    Commercial customers always get priority.

    I guess he could have flown commercial, but if I didn't have to, I wouldn't either.....neither would you.

    not to mention, mh was referring to lerner bing in berea for their meeting, not being at the presser.

    @alendor said:

    not to mention, mh was referring to lerner bing in berea for their meeting, not being at the presser.

    No kidding???

    I know the guy lives in NYC. That isn't a big deal.

    I have had the pleasure to spend some time in Berea, and plan to spend more. Some nice neighborhoods, restaurants, bars....a nice place no doubt, but NYC or Berea?? NYC or Berea??

    Since both are cold in the winter, NYC gets my vote as well.

    You guys have to be realistic here. When you have mega-bucks, Berea, or Cleveland isn't going to be high on most people lists.

    Art lived in Cleveland for decades. Tell me how that somehow benefited the team or fans??

    Serious question...I want a answer.