Skip to content

It just feels different

The Browns Board
27 20 2.1k
  • Stolen from another board but I thought it was a good discussion.

    Just throwing this out there for anyone to comment on.

    Is it just me or does it seem like the Browns recent hirings are turning the ship in a different direction....

    Think about it......

    Proven and respected winner at the top with a VISION....Mike Holmgren

    Respected General counsel with a dedication to the vision....Fred Nance

    Reportedly top notch respected and sought after GM candidate incoming.....Tom Heckert

    A coach with a new life and desire to succeed in a new system......Eric Mangini

    I am neither pro or con on Mangini but keeping him for another year just "felt" like it was the right move

    One more plus....

    An owner who will hire his football people (trying hard to win which is often overlooked) and stay out of the way....Randy Lerner

    I am proud to be a Browns fan and this time I feel confidant that the right people will work hard and make the right decisions. In the past, there was always this uncertainty because of unproven people and no real football man in charge. That has changed and Holmgren is surrounding himself with good football minds that will be on the SAME page. I am looking forward to the future for our franchise now. That wasn't always the case. I know there are many naysayers who will find fault with this post, but .........

    Dawgfanforever88 said:

    Stolen from another board but I thought it was a good discussion.

    Just throwing this out there for anyone to comment on.

    Is it just me or does it seem like the Browns recent hirings are turning the ship in a different direction....

    Think about it......

    Proven and respected winner at the top with a VISION....Mike Holmgren

    Respected General counsel with a dedication to the vision....Fred Nance

    Reportedly top notch respected and sought after GM candidate incoming.....Tom Heckert

    A coach with a new life and desire to succeed in a new system......Eric Mangini

    I am neither pro or con on Mangini but keeping him for another year just "felt" like it was the right move

    One more plus....

    An owner who will hire his football people (trying hard to win which is often overlooked) and stay out of the way....Randy Lerner

    I am proud to be a Browns fan and this time I feel confidant that the right people will work hard and make the right decisions. In the past, there was always this uncertainty because of unproven people and no real football man in charge. That has changed and Holmgren is surrounding himself with good football minds that will be on the SAME page. I am looking forward to the future for our franchise now. That wasn't always the case. I know there are many naysayers who will find fault with this post, but .........

    Eric Mangini=Transitional move playoff or bust situation

  • In my mind the only real questionmark that remains is mangini/daboll vs effective offense ,the genie got the second year he deserves to see if he is for real but due to daboll being left intact at OC it sort of leaves the whole regime open to criticism from top to bottom should our offense perform abysmally again next year and i for one will readily blame the walrus if/when this does happen if its not dealt with efficiently...it seems to me that daboll should have been replaced by a competent OC..but im onboard until the offense starts to sink under this dim witted uncreative thug of an OC then its going to be fire and brimstone with a lot of i told ya so..😉

  • I totally agree....... I think we're on the ups. Not saying it's going to be a cakewalk.....but definately over time we'll get there.

  • I will say this: It sure as hell feels a lot better trying to convince myself that THIS

    time it will be different as opposed to convincing myself that coffee-getters

    Savage and Kokonuts could turn around a franchise...

  • Feels like the true expansion era.

  • It feels like we can expect a BIG turnaround next season.

    I am expecting home, playoff football next year.

    Now that will be one heck of a tailgate. If it is a 1PM kick, we might as well get that sucker started at 6am, because we will all be up.

  • Best I've felt about this team since 94. I'm still mind boggled how we just lined up and ran the snot out of the ball the last 4 games, that was pretty incredible. Teams were lined up 9 and 10 in the box with our QB's that couldn't complete screens and Harrison ran amok. Tremendous confidence builder to build on. Look at how the Jets and Ravens kicked ass, by running the ball. Flacco completed 4 passes, sound familiar?

    Picturing a guy like Haden immediately transfixing our defense. One FA WR and just stockpile in the draft. Maybe go after a McNabb or something and draft a guy like Pike to develop. It's all up from here man.

  • It feels like we can expect a BIG turnaround next season.

    I am expecting home, playoff football next year.

    Now that will be one heck of a tailgate. If it is a 1PM kick, we might as well get that sucker started at 6am, because we will all be up.

    @ballpeen said:

    It feels like we can expect a BIG turnaround next season.

    I am expecting home, playoff football next year.

    Now that will be one heck of a tailgate. If it is a 1PM kick, we might as well get that sucker started at 6am, because we will all be up.

    6am it will be!

  • It certainly should feel different now. Time will tell whether "different" = "better", but there is cause for optimism.

    For the first time in a very long time, we will have experience, credibility and talent in the front office.

    Our coach, who seemed to have major control issues last season, will be able to do nothing but coach. I'd like to see him trade a player without approval from Heckert and Holmgren! I'm interested to see what Mangini does now that his sole focus is on the on-field product instead of having his hands in the minutia of the entire organization.

    My bigegst concern is that we retained our offensive staff. Did Holmgren not watch us play much last season? Our offense was embarrassingfor at least 10 games. Yes, the ground game came on at the end of the year, and I'm excited about that. But you can't win in the NFL with a one-dimensional offense. Holmgren had better provide Daboll with a copy of "The West Coast Offense for Dummies", and test him on it before minicamp.

  • It certainly should feel different now. Time will tell whether "different" = "better", but there is cause for optimism.

    For the first time in a very long time, we will have experience, credibility and talent in the front office.

    Our coach, who seemed to have major control issues last season, will be able to do nothing but coach. I'd like to see him trade a player without approval from Heckert and Holmgren! I'm interested to see what Mangini does now that his sole focus is on the on-field product instead of having his hands in the minutia of the entire organization.

    My bigegst concern is that we retained our offensive staff. Did Holmgren not watch us play much last season? Our offense was embarrassingfor at least 10 games. Yes, the ground game came on at the end of the year, and I'm excited about that. But you can't win in the NFL with a one-dimensional offense. Holmgren had better provide Daboll with a copy of "The West Coast Offense for Dummies", and test him on it before minicamp.

    @samatlanta said:

    It certainly should feel different now. Time will tell whether "different" = "better", but there is cause for optimism.

    For the first time in a very long time, we will have experience, credibility and talent in the front office.

    Our coach, who seemed to have major control issues last season, will be able to do nothing but coach. I'd like to see him trade a player without approval from Heckert and Holmgren! I'm interested to see what Mangini does now that his sole focus is on the on-field product instead of having his hands in the minutia of the entire organization.

    My bigegst concern is that we retained our offensive staff. Did Holmgren not watch us play much last season? Our offense was embarrassingfor at least 10 games. Yes, the ground game came on at the end of the year, and I'm excited about that. But you can't win in the NFL with a one-dimensional offense. Holmgren had better provide Daboll with a copy of "The West Coast Offense for Dummies", and test him on it before minicamp.

    I'll agree that our offense was terrible for at least 8 games but if you watched closely the play calling improved dramatically the difference was night and day, to me it was anyhow. I believe that Daboll will get a lot better after a few meetings with Holmgren.

  • Deyballs did really well toward the end of the year, I don't understand how people didn't see this. Wipe out the first ten games or so, he wasn't playing with a full deck, especially with old man Lewis clogging up the running game.

  • yikes! people are getting ahead of themselves here, in my opinion. I wouldn't expect anything more than between 7-9 and 9-7.

    The team still has some pretty big problems.

  • Deyballs did really well toward the end of the year, I don't understand how people didn't see this. Wipe out the first ten games or so, he wasn't playing with a full deck, especially with old man Lewis clogging up the running game.

    @riffer-x said:

    Deyballs did really well toward the end of the year, I don't understand how people didn't see this. Wipe out the first ten games or so, he wasn't playing with a full deck, especially with old man Lewis clogging up the running game.

    plus, there is the concept of learning on the job.

  • Stolen from another board but I thought it was a good discussion.

    Just throwing this out there for anyone to comment on.

    Is it just me or does it seem like the Browns recent hirings are turning the ship in a different direction....

    Think about it......

    Proven and respected winner at the top with a VISION....Mike Holmgren

    Respected General counsel with a dedication to the vision....Fred Nance

    Reportedly top notch respected and sought after GM candidate incoming.....Tom Heckert

    A coach with a new life and desire to succeed in a new system......Eric Mangini

    I am neither pro or con on Mangini but keeping him for another year just "felt" like it was the right move

    One more plus....

    An owner who will hire his football people (trying hard to win which is often overlooked) and stay out of the way....Randy Lerner

    I am proud to be a Browns fan and this time I feel confidant that the right people will work hard and make the right decisions. In the past, there was always this uncertainty because of unproven people and no real football man in charge. That has changed and Holmgren is surrounding himself with good football minds that will be on the SAME page. I am looking forward to the future for our franchise now. That wasn't always the case. I know there are many naysayers who will find fault with this post, but .........

    Dawgfanforever88 said:

    Stolen from another board but I thought it was a good discussion.

    Just throwing this out there for anyone to comment on.

    Is it just me or does it seem like the Browns recent hirings are turning the ship in a different direction....

    Think about it......

    Proven and respected winner at the top with a VISION....Mike Holmgren

    Respected General counsel with a dedication to the vision....Fred Nance

    Reportedly top notch respected and sought after GM candidate incoming.....Tom Heckert

    A coach with a new life and desire to succeed in a new system......Eric Mangini

    I am neither pro or con on Mangini but keeping him for another year just "felt" like it was the right move

    One more plus....

    An owner who will hire his football people (trying hard to win which is often overlooked) and stay out of the way....Randy Lerner

    I am proud to be a Browns fan and this time I feel confidant that the right people will work hard and make the right decisions. In the past, there was always this uncertainty because of unproven people and no real football man in charge. That has changed and Holmgren is surrounding himself with good football minds that will be on the SAME page. I am looking forward to the future for our franchise now. That wasn't always the case. I know there are many naysayers who will find fault with this post, but .........

    Maybe one condition that Holmgren imposed on Mangini to keep him as HC was that EM had to rock the stache?

  • Holmgren and Mangini's rold model

  • Deyballs did really well toward the end of the year, I don't understand how people didn't see this. Wipe out the first ten games or so, he wasn't playing with a full deck, especially with old man Lewis clogging up the running game.

    @riffer-x said:

    Deyballs did really well toward the end of the year, I don't understand how people didn't see this. Wipe out the first ten games or so, he wasn't playing with a full deck, especially with old man Lewis clogging up the running game.

    I agree. Much was unsettled, and it was still unsettled at the qb position as the season ended.

    I am sure MH has had discussions with Daboll and came to the conclusion the problem wasn't so much with coaching as it was with lack of players.

    If Daboll came across as a guy who simply didn't understand offense, I am sure he would have been replaced.

    Now we have another offensive mind in place to help him.

    The problems on O last year weren't caused by a incompetent coach.

    If I had any feelings like that before, I don't now that Holmgren has had some time to talk O with the guy.

  • Deyballs did really well toward the end of the year, I don't understand how people didn't see this. Wipe out the first ten games or so, he wasn't playing with a full deck, especially with old man Lewis clogging up the running game.

    @riffer-x said:

    Deyballs did really well toward the end of the year, I don't understand how people didn't see this. Wipe out the first ten games or so, he wasn't playing with a full deck, especially with old man Lewis clogging up the running game.

    I agree, but he was still trying to find someone who can catch a ball, and found Evan Moore.

  • @samatlanta said:

    It certainly should feel different now. Time will tell whether "different" = "better", but there is cause for optimism.

    For the first time in a very long time, we will have experience, credibility and talent in the front office.

    Our coach, who seemed to have major control issues last season, will be able to do nothing but coach. I'd like to see him trade a player without approval from Heckert and Holmgren! I'm interested to see what Mangini does now that his sole focus is on the on-field product instead of having his hands in the minutia of the entire organization.

    My bigegst concern is that we retained our offensive staff. Did Holmgren not watch us play much last season? Our offense was embarrassingfor at least 10 games. Yes, the ground game came on at the end of the year, and I'm excited about that. But you can't win in the NFL with a one-dimensional offense. Holmgren had better provide Daboll with a copy of "The West Coast Offense for Dummies", and test him on it before minicamp.

    I'll agree that our offense was terrible for at least 8 games but if you watched closely the play calling improved dramatically the difference was night and day, to me it was anyhow. I believe that Daboll will get a lot better after a few meetings with Holmgren.

    Dawgfanforever88 said:

    I'll agree that our offense was terrible for at least 8 games but if you watched closely the play calling improved dramatically the difference was night and day, to me it was anyhow. I believe that Daboll will get a lot better after a few meetings with Holmgren.

    Add in the fact that both sides of the ball were getting used to Mangini's scheme and you finally saw that pay off the second half the season when they looked like they were getting used to it.

  • I usually go to my grandparents house to watch the games with them like I have since I was a little kid in the Kosar days and I told them before the first game this year that I think were going to lose this season but in the next 2 season's were going to turn into serious contenders. I hope im right lol.

  • yikes! people are getting ahead of themselves here, in my opinion. I wouldn't expect anything more than between 7-9 and 9-7.

    The team still has some pretty big problems.

    @pumpkin-eater said:

    yikes! people are getting ahead of themselves here, in my opinion. I wouldn't expect anything more than between 7-9 and 9-7.

    The team still has some pretty big problems.

    Yes, we may still have some problems, but I still think we can put a fix on the defense in the upcoming draft. Our schedule isn't necessarily easy, but if you look closely at our away games, you'll find that after the Saints, the other tougheies are against our division rivals-

    Home schedule: Pit, Cin, Balt, Atl, Car, NE, NY Jets, KC,

    Away Schedule: Pit, Cin, Balt, NO, TBay, Miami, Buf, Jax

    Can we go 4-4 on the road? I think so. Can we win 6 or 7 home games? I think so....looks like 10-6 to me 🙂