Stallworth Update
-
We have been through the DUI manslaughter deal 1000 times, so I won't go there.
Bottom line, I believe in redemption.
At this point I bring him back for a quick look.... tell him while mini camps are voluntary, it would probably be a good idea for him to be there as that is where the initial decision is going to be made on whether we take this to the next step or cut ties then and there.
We have been through the DUI manslaughter deal 1000 times, so I won't go there.
Bottom line, I believe in redemption.
At this point I bring him back for a quick look.... tell him while mini camps are voluntary, it would probably be a good idea for him to be there as that is where the initial decision is going to be made on whether we take this to the next step or cut ties then and there.
I agree. You would be surprized how life changing a situation like this can be. I would know from expirence. We need to at least give him a quick peek.
-
@mario said:
he ran over some mexican who ran across a multiple lane highway that was not a designated crosswalk............doesn't bother me.
you are one sick minded person. what reyes did was reckless and he did put himself in harms way, but to bring up the fact that he's mexican and to say it doesn't bother you just shows what type of person you really are.
-
@mario said:
he ran over some mexican who ran across a multiple lane highway that was not a designated crosswalk............doesn't bother me.
I have a lot of "Mexican" friends who were born right here in the USA. They are good people, good friends. And Peen is right, we have debated this far too long. I'm not God, and wont judge his punishment. I'm sure he thinks about it every day, and will continue to do so. So whatever the Browns decide to do with him is fine with me. I just don't think he has a future with us, or any team.
-
@mario said:
he ran over some mexican who ran across a multiple lane highway that was not a designated crosswalk............doesn't bother me.
I have a lot of "Mexican" friends who were born right here in the USA. They are good people, good friends. And Peen is right, we have debated this far too long. I'm not God, and wont judge his punishment. I'm sure he thinks about it every day, and will continue to do so. So whatever the Browns decide to do with him is fine with me. I just don't think he has a future with us, or any team.
I have a lot of "Mexican" friends who were born right here in the USA. They are good people, good friends. And Peen is right, we have debated this far too long. I'm not God, and wont judge his punishment. I'm sure he thinks about it every day, and will continue to do so. So whatever the Browns decide to do with him is fine with me. I just don't think he has a future with us, or any team.
hey diehard your buddy inspecta dumped me...............send me a pm and lets commiserate......since we are both ends of the middle
-
there is no pm feature here anymore, Attention Whore.
-
FREAKofSTEEL08 said:
wow... He has NO Business Playing again. Period. He forfeited that right. Because he drove drunk ? No Though I thing The NFL should adopt a rule that says repeat offenders with DUIs will be Banned from Playing again. But , his actions resulted in a Man losing his life. The Consequences of his actions should be as severe as far as his career goes.The DUI manslaughter aside, I don't think Stallworth will be back- not a Mangini type of guy, and he's got a history of being fragile. He'll get another chance to play but not with the Browns.
He did get off amazingly light- a year of house arrest- most peons convicted of the same offense spend at least a couple of years in the big house.
The DUI manslaughter aside, I don't think Stallworth will be back- not
He did get off amazingly light- a year of house arrest- most peons convicted of the same offense spend at least a couple of years in the big house.
legally i was thinking the same thing hoorta. well then again he did donate the supposed $3-5Mil to the family. that's a chunk to part with.
i believe it was a 4 Mil bonus he was celebrating in the first place so $$ seems important to the guy. now subtract legal and attorney fees, agent fees, league penalties and fines...how far can it really go? he's gotta be on the rebuild...and if he doesn't stay on his best behavior he's a complete moron.
if i'm the big show i allow him the opportunity to pay it forward. that's always significantly more positive than nothing happening at all.
plus wasn't it Heckert that saw it fit to give Vick another shot? that makes it a little more interesting too.
-
Good point Sisky.
At some point people need to be less vindictive and more open to redemption.
I am not saying that means he makes the team or even could at this point, but I think we need to allow that opportunity.
If we feel he can't help, fine. But if he can, someone is going to give that opportunity. I hope it's us since we have the first shot......the reasoning is based on a couple of levels, both selfish and in the mind of forgiveness.
Let's don't lose sight of the fact legally drunk to operate a vehicle is far from being shithammered. Had that guy not just darted across the road like a deer, Stallworth would have made it home in good shape without running over mothers pushing strollers and he would have been on the team last year.
-
in the last discussion on him, people brought up good points and I think what I was trying to say was misunderstood
I absolutely and completely believe in second chances. Everyone makes a big mistake in life, and that should not end it. Dante Stallworth obviously had his incident and I can honestly tell it haunts him. I feel sorry for him and don't wish that type of situation on my worst enemy.
However, this situation is unique. I did some decent research on the true facts of the case and there is NO doubt the man he killed was crossing the street illegally. But to say it was unavoidable IMO is somewhat foolish. He was clearly impaired, a BAC of .12 i believe(well over the legal limit), and it had to greatly impact his decision making and judgment.
The way I feel is that playing football in the NFL is an incredible gift. Very few in this world get the opportunity, and folks he squandered it. Perhaps he got a bad break with the man jaywalking, but it was his decision to drink and drive a car. Like it or not and with the circumstances as they be, he was legally drunk driving a car and killed a man.
People here disagree with me and I respect your opinion, but I feel like he does not deserve another opportunity to be amongst the elite and few of the NFL. he had his opportunity and through his own fault blew it. It's not just him either. I couldn't believe Michael Vick got another shot too. People think of me being "too harsh", but frankly I don't feel that bad for millionaires who consciously make awful decisions.
I do think there isn't a right or wrong answer to this situation though. I come from a strict military background, so my view may be bias.
From a strictly football point of view, i thought he was overrated for years. There's a reason he had a short stay with teams. I think he's good enough to be an NFL player, but not for what we originally paid him. I bet someone gives him a shot though, but i highly doubt it's us.
-
Not that the DUI Manslaughter charges are not important but putting that aside he is not really very valuable.
His most productive year was his contract year in NO and he put together a sub 1000 yard season. the rest are pretty pedestrian.
Is he a smart player? Is he a team first player? Is he a good blocker? Is he versatile? Is he a motivator for his teamates through his work ethic or actions? Durable?
His numbers just do not add up to a whole lot more than a second or third WR and we have younger, more eager and potentially better guys on the team to fill that role.
highly doubt he is given the time of day by this organization and that has nothing to do with his errors in judgement off the field.
-
in the last discussion on him, people brought up good points and I think what I was trying to say was misunderstood
I absolutely and completely believe in second chances. Everyone makes a big mistake in life, and that should not end it. Dante Stallworth obviously had his incident and I can honestly tell it haunts him. I feel sorry for him and don't wish that type of situation on my worst enemy.
However, this situation is unique. I did some decent research on the true facts of the case and there is NO doubt the man he killed was crossing the street illegally. But to say it was unavoidable IMO is somewhat foolish. He was clearly impaired, a BAC of .12 i believe(well over the legal limit), and it had to greatly impact his decision making and judgment.
The way I feel is that playing football in the NFL is an incredible gift. Very few in this world get the opportunity, and folks he squandered it. Perhaps he got a bad break with the man jaywalking, but it was his decision to drink and drive a car. Like it or not and with the circumstances as they be, he was legally drunk driving a car and killed a man.
People here disagree with me and I respect your opinion, but I feel like he does not deserve another opportunity to be amongst the elite and few of the NFL. he had his opportunity and through his own fault blew it. It's not just him either. I couldn't believe Michael Vick got another shot too. People think of me being "too harsh", but frankly I don't feel that bad for millionaires who consciously make awful decisions.
I do think there isn't a right or wrong answer to this situation though. I come from a strict military background, so my view may be bias.
From a strictly football point of view, i thought he was overrated for years. There's a reason he had a short stay with teams. I think he's good enough to be an NFL player, but not for what we originally paid him. I bet someone gives him a shot though, but i highly doubt it's us.
I absolutely and completely believe in second chances. Everyone makes a big mistake in life, and that should not end it. Dante Stallworth obviously had his incident and I can honestly tell it haunts him. I feel sorry for him and don't wish that type of situation on my worst enemy.
However, this situation is unique. I did some decent research on the true facts of the case and there is NO doubt the man he killed was crossing the street illegally. But to say it was unavoidable IMO is somewhat foolish. He was clearly impaired, a BAC of .12 i believe(well over the legal limit), and it had to greatly impact his decision making and judgment.
The way I feel is that playing football in the NFL is an incredible gift. Very few in this world get the opportunity, and folks he squandered it. Perhaps he got a bad break with the man jaywalking, but it was his decision to drink and drive a car. Like it or not and with the circumstances as they be, he was legally drunk driving a car and killed a man.
People here disagree with me and I respect your opinion, but I feel like he does not deserve another opportunity to be amongst the elite and few of the NFL. he had his opportunity and through his own fault blew it. It's not just him either. I couldn't believe Michael Vick got another shot too. People think of me being "too harsh", but frankly I don't feel that bad for millionaires who consciously make awful decisions.
I do think there isn't a right or wrong answer to this situation though. I come from a strict military background, so my view may be bias.
i totally hear what you are saying jrb, i really do. but i also feel like it kinda falls under that vindictive umbrella a little bit.
here's one take. if neither Vick nor Stallworth played again and just had regular Joe jobs, after finishing out their prescribed community service etc. there's a chance they'd simply fade into obscurity never to be heard from again.
being in the league enables them to make bigger waves=better chance of them both making a bigger impact off the field. you stand to gain a positive celebrity role model rather then just some dude who screwed up and lost his career.
our experiences shape us, there's also the chance these guys actually got a lot of positive growth they genuinely want to share.
in the NFL scenario Donte can produce the biggest return off the field, especially if they exploit his ass. well.....i guess if he were unemployed he could volunteer a whole hell of a lot of time paying it forward but that's not the splash or pub that usually gets much done in today's world.
when i weigh risk vs reward, cost vs benefit you just stand to gain a lot more and it seems worth it to me.
-
Again, to just summarily dismiss the guy would be a mistake in my opinion because some team is going to take a look. Since we have the first choice, it might as well be us.....it's not like we have a stable of great receivers on hand.
Any argument about his value as a player will work out just as all player decisions work out....on the field of play. If he doesn't have it, he gets cut just like anyone else.
-
Again, to just summarily dismiss the guy would be a mistake in my opinion because some team is going to take a look. Since we have the first choice, it might as well be us.....it's not like we have a stable of great receivers on hand.
Any argument about his value as a player will work out just as all player decisions work out....on the field of play. If he doesn't have it, he gets cut just like anyone else.
Again, to just summarily dismiss the guy would be a mistake in my opinion because some team is going to take a look. Since we have the first choice, it might as well be us.....it's not like we have a stable of great receivers on hand.
Any argument about his value as a player will work out just as all player decisions work out....on the field of play. If he doesn't have it, he gets cut just like anyone else.
Spoken like a true SEC patriot Ballpeen. If this kid was an Ohio State grad you'd say cut his ass!
Seriously, what did he do in 2008 that makes you think he's worth stalling the growth and development process of MoMass, Robiskie and Stuckey over? 2 teams like NE and Philly thought all he needed was the right team around him to get the heart inside the tin man's empty chest cavity. I'm guessing his release within 365 days meant there was no Wizard of Oz for Stallworth in NE or Philly. Consequently, he's been a Cleveland Brown for 2 years and all I count is 17 reception for 170 yards and 1 TD.
Hopefully, Heckert has a good short term memory. At what point to we call Stallworth's string of ho-hum a trend of he and agent getting way overpaid? I say we offer him the NFL minimum as a final exam on this empty innerchest theory I have about him. The Cleveland Browns have already paid him dearly for just 1 TD and 17 measely catches over a 2 year stretch. If that's not enough, he received 2 enormous bonuses (when initially signed and last year); but that didn't stop the knucklehead from being too CHEAP to hire a limo/taxi driver on a night he wanted to celebrate. I see why he and Braylon were attracted to each other - they both have 2 divorced brain cells. When the trash starts to stink - it belongs out on the road.
- Tom F.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login