Skip to content

Bernie Kosar

The Browns Board
45 28 4.9k
  • Bradshaw Career

    Comp. % 51.9

    TD 212

    INT 210

    Y/A 7.2

    NY/A 6.0

    Rating 70.9

    Kosar Career

    Com % 59.3

    TD 124

    INT 87

    Y/A 6.5

    NY/A 5.9

    Rating 81.8

  • @ballpeen said:

    I like Bernie a lot, but no way was he the best QB....Graham takes that nod.

    He might get second nod, but if so, it isn't by much over 2 others for sure and maybe three....Sipe, Ryan, and the forgotten great qb we had, Bill Nelson.

    All three of those guys were right up there with Bernie, but if you didn't see them play, then i understand the nod to Kosar....and again, that isn't any dis to Bernie...as I said, I liked him a lot.

    It's been a long time since we had a QB who we all could rally around....a guy you knew would bounce back after a rare bad game.

    I think Bernie is looked at as highly by some is he was the last QB we had that was like that....since then we have had anywhere from bum to a 50% guy....half like him, half like the back-up.

    Couch maybe had that for a year or two, but that was mostly because he was able to ride the wave of excitement of having our team back for the first few years of his career.

    Well, I saw every one of those QBs play except Graham, and of all the Browns QBs I saw, Bernie was the best. He has the close edge for me over Ryan, Sipe, and Nelson.

    I mean, the greatest physical speciman was Mike Phipps. But he was a total mental flop.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, I saw every one of those QBs play except Graham, and of all the Browns QBs I saw, Bernie was the best. He has the close edge for me over Ryan, Sipe, and Nelson.

    I mean, the greatest physical speciman was Mike Phipps. But he was a total mental flop

    .

    As I said, he might get the nod.....point being all were pretty darn good. Lets say close enough I am not going to try to distinguish between them.

    I will say this, if I could have any of the 4 in a modern , young body, I am good riding that for the next 12 years.

    I did see Otto near the end, and I was pretty young, so I have to admit most of my opinion is based on historical record.

  • I remember back in the 80's one of those made for TV "Superstars" competitions where they matched up the top QBs

    from back then , they all had to do these little passing drills to determine the best of the bunch and I don't remember

    exactly what they had to do overall ,but one of the drills was to throw a football through a tire as it zipped across the field.

    All the big boyz where there Kelly,Elway,Young,Marino...they all missed ! except Bernie, so they bust his balls about a lucky

    first throw,Bernie laughing the whole time picks up another ball and nails it again! BrownB299

    ****************************************************

    Oh, my, I had forgotten about that. It was GREAT !

  • Formerly Stone said:

    I have always been amazed at the love affair Cleveland has with Kosar who was an average NFL QB. Granted he accomplished a lot given his physical limitations but he was still average.

    No, he was well above average at the skills that counted: leadership, accuracy, understanding the game, tactics, winning.

    I am not saying he was a Hall of Famer. Those physical limitations..a lot of which were the result of injury...are what held him back there.

    Early on in his career his arm was a lot stronger than what you probably remember, but he had that sidearm delivery that made it look awkward, but at first he could hit a receiver on a dime 50 yards down the field. After suffering a series of elbow, wrist and hand injuries...yes, that strength diminished. He was never a bazooka arm like a Bradshaw or Elway, but he was better than you think.

    @the-gipper said:

    No, he was well above average at the skills that counted: leadership, accuracy, understanding the game, tactics, winning.

    I am not saying he was a Hall of Famer. Those physical limitations..a lot of which were the result of injury...are what held him back there.

    Early on in his career his arm was a lot stronger than what you probably remember, but he had that sidearm delivery that made it look awkward, but at first he could hit a receiver on a dime 50 yards down the field. After suffering a series of elbow, wrist and hand injuries...yes, that strength diminished. He was never a bazooka arm like a Bradshaw or Elway, but he was better than you think

    .

    No doubt....a lot of fans forgot or didn't see him play early in his career. I have a Plain Dealer publication that I saved from the Saturday of the AFC championship game in '86. On the front page, about 10 well known experts are polled on who will win that game. The majority of them, favor Cleveland over Denver in a close game, with the difference being the qb's. Kosar was the better qb at that point, and threw a more accurate deep pass. Of course, from that point on, after " the drive"....and after the many injuries that Kosar had, everything changed.

  • Kosar was a blast to watch. Never counted them out with him. He was indeed one of the smartest QB's of all time.

    The receiving corp he worked with was terrific as well - Slaughter, Langhorn, Brennan - Brian Brennan was the Wes Welker of the Browns - always consistent, always a go to guy that came up big. Of course there was also the great Oz. Ozzie was awesome.

    Then there was the great backfield Kosar had in Mack and Byner. Anyone who wants to go on and on about the fumble is not giving a single ounce of credibility to the fact that had Byner not played as strong ALL season and especially in teh playoffs that year, the team would never have been in a position to be playing in the AFC Championship game that year. Byner is 'the fumble' guy, he's another great Browns RB. Romo dropped a game winning snap for a filed goal and he's still considered a superstar.

    ... and don't forget bernie playing with a broken finger - wrppaed in a splint on the throwing hand. Wonder if Quinn ever saw those tapes.

    Was VERY glad Bernie got a ring. He deserved one with a Browns helmet on it .... TWICE.

  • I have a 45 of "The 12 days of the Cleveland Browns Christmas" would listen to it if

    I had a turntable.

  • I have a 45 of "The 12 days of the Cleveland Browns Christmas" would listen to it if

    I had a turntable.

    @firebiker911 said:

    I have a 45 of "The 12 days of the Cleveland Browns Christmas" would listen to it if

    I had a turntable.

    what's a turntable?

  • @firebiker911 said:

    I have a 45 of "The 12 days of the Cleveland Browns Christmas" would listen to it if

    I had a turntable.

    what's a turntable?

    @yosemitejam said:

    what's a turntable?

    i believe that it is the name of an old ship used around the civil war era.

  • @yosemitejam said:

    what's a turntable?

    i believe that it is the name of an old ship used around the civil war era.

    what's a turntable?

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    i believe that it is the name of an old ship used around the civil war era.

    I believe it translates in English as "Whale's xxxx". Yep, I'm almost positive that's it.

  • @yosemitejam said:

    what's a turntable?

    i believe that it is the name of an old ship used around the civil war era.

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    i believe that it is the name of an old ship used around the civil war era.

    Diversity is the name.

    22814-ron_burgundy.jpg

  • Here's the interview, just in case anybody wanted to watch it:

    (I don't know how to embed video, if a mod wants to go ahead and do that for me, that would be cool.)

  • Graham is easily the best QB statistically. He also played in a championship 8 or 10 of his seasons of pro football. There really is no argument against that except for the huge sentimentality I fell for Kosar.

    As far as other Browns QBs, Sipe and Kosar are pretty much the same. I think it comes down to when you were a 10 year old, 1980 or 1986.

    This is an awesome website. I found it when trying to find out who the best Bears QB of all time was:

    http://armchairgm.wikia.com/index.php?titl...%2C_Version_1.0

  • god i frickin loved the 80's...

    listen to that roar for Newsome & Kosar. damn.

  • I'm Ron Burgandy?

    this just confirms my love for all you guys and the B-rowns

  • I remember back in the 80's one of those made for TV "Superstars" competitions where they matched up the top QBs

    from back then , they all had to do these little passing drills to determine the best of the bunch and I don't remember

    exactly what they had to do overall ,but one of the drills was to throw a football through a tire as it zipped across the field.

    All the big boyz where there Kelly,Elway,Young,Marino...they all missed ! except Bernie, so they bust his balls about a lucky

    first throw,Bernie laughing the whole time picks up another ball and nails it again!

    @brownb499 said:

    I remember back in the 80's one of those made for TV "Superstars" competitions where they matched up the top QBs

    from back then , they all had to do these little passing drills to determine the best of the bunch and I don't remember

    exactly what they had to do overall ,but one of the drills was to throw a football through a tire as it zipped across the field.

    All the big boyz where there Kelly,Elway,Young,Marino...they all missed ! except Bernie, so they bust his balls about a lucky

    first throw,Bernie laughing the whole time picks up another ball and nails it again!

    i saw one like that too BB499--had all the alpha dog QB's there like you said. i remember it looked tropical, but coulda just been Florida or something. on this one the targets were small but stationary, spaced every 10 yards.

    everyone hit about the same distance limit but Bernie kept going. i can't remember if it was 20 or 30 yards more than everyone else. definitely 20 or more though...it was at least two more turns.

    up until he finally missed he was pretty much direct middle of the target every time, not even close to touching the sides as it went through.

    its gotta be on the web somewhere.