Hi people, I'm a Patriots fan from MA who would like to talk about the game tomorrow with people who aren't rabid pats fans. Thought I'd bring a little MA perspective on tomorrow's match.
Things I'd watch out for if I were the Browns:
1. NE's base 3-4 features Brandon Spikes at ILB, who is strong against the run but a liability against play-action/in coverage. NE's nickel package features Gary Guyton, who is a liability against the run and fast in coverage.
This works fine if NE can stuff the run on 1st and 2nd downs, because they can sub Spikes out with confidence. If Hillis gets the run game in rhythm, and the Browns can create short yardage situations, then Spikes will see a lot of action. This will open up the flat and the middle of the field - places where Hillis and Ben Watson are both effective.
2. RCB Kyle Arrington is an undrafted second-year who never played a snap on defense before week 3. He is very beatable. He's a likeable, physical player, but he doesn't have the hips and quickness to keep up with receivers who run good routes. Challenge him often.
3. Force three and outs. When you watch the Patriots a lot, you'll slowly notice a trend. I don't have stats to back it up, but when the Patriots convert one first down on a drive, they usually go all the way down field and put points up. Ending drives immediately is the way to keep Brady out of rhythm.
4. The fact is, the Patriots can stop the run if they employ run stopping formations. They can stop the pass if they set out to do it. But they can't do both at the same time. Good coaching has largely masked this problem, which is why they are 6-1. If you guys can get the mismatches the game will be very close.
Things I'll be watching out for on the Browns:
1. Can't wait to watch Colt McCoy play. I've heard rumors that he might have "it"
2. Since Cleveland has some of the best special teams in the league I want to see if ours can step up and play big.
3. I want to see the Patriots run well on your defense. Replacing Laurence "Dancing with the stars" Maroney with Ben-Jarvis "The Law Firm" Green-Ellis has been great for our offense.
4. Wes Welker downgraded to a lighter knee brace for this week. Hopefully his quickness is returning.
While the uneducated public seems to think this game is a foregone conclusion, you can be sure the actual Patriots team is not underestimating the Browns. Here's to a injury-free game, and may the best team win.