Hey guys.
First of all, I'm very disappointed as to how my fan-brethren are treating the fans of one of the greatest franchises in history of sports. The Cleveland Browns have a history that very few teams can match. Ironically, the 49ers also have a similar history (with less success) being formed together in 1946 to make a part of the AAFC. The Browns were winners, while the 49ers were just around. We're also linked in another way. When the Browns reformed, they took so many ex-49er players that they could have been called the 49ers jr team... and that's not a compliment. We were a dismal 6-10 or 4-12 team, and I believe you were even worse that year.
I respect great Browns players such as Bernie Kosar, Marion Motley, Ozzie Newsome, Otto Graham (perhaps a top 5 QB of all-time), and Jim Brown (top 5 RB). I freakin LOVE the fan-base (right up there with the Bills imo), love the dawg pound, love the city, and you better believe I love the uniforms! This is such a great team that's suffered more than any team should suffer.
That said, it's time to talk about the game, and I do not think you are going to like what I'm about to say. Keep in mind, this is my opinion, and I reserve the right to be entirely wrong and eat crow on Sunday, which I will definitely come back for. Here we go:
==========================================================================
First the Browns. They are 3-3. Their 3 wins came against 2 win-less teams (Dolphins/Colts), each of which was a 1-score game. The other win was against the hapless 2-4 Seahawks, that had no RB, no QB, and no WRs. A collective 2-17 of ultra-suck. The losses aren't much better. The Browns lost to the upstart Bengals at home with a rookie QB & rookie WR, blown out by the Titans (mediocre team), and the Raiders, who lost their QB halfway through the game. All 6 teams that the Browns have played against are sub-par.
The Browns ranking on defense is wildly exaggerated in my opinion. The QBs they have faced are arguably the worst bunch 3 backup QBs, 1 rookie QB, 1 hapless QB (Henne), and an old QB that was new to his team by only a few weeks (Hasslebeck). With the exception to the Raiders, the Browns also haven't faced any decent running backs this year. The last game speaks volumes to me. The offense had the ball for 42 minutes, and managed 6 total points... could have been 12 without the blocked field goals, and could have been 28 if all scores were touchdowns. But if a frog had wings, it wouldn't bump its ass on the ground when it hops. As you can see, a 3-3 record is deceiving in my opinion.
The 49ers are actually BETTER than people realize, even at 5-1. First start off with 3 East Coast games, all being wins. The Eagles at the time were considered heavy favorites, especially at halftime when the score was 23-3. Alex Smith was finally allowed to throw the ball (almost 300 yards) and was able to win the game. A good win against an OK Bengals team (great on defense, horrid on offense). Finally, their most-impressive win against a previously unbeaten Lions team. Megatron was basically non-existant until garbage time. Our defense knocked their RB and QB out of the game. (BTW, we've knocked multiple QBs and RBs out of games: Romo, Stafford, Best, Blount, etc). Our defense appears to be bad on the pass, but we have one of the highest turnover rates in the NFL on defense. Our secondary has improved so much that I finally have confidence for the first time in nearly a decade. If it wasn't for a 50+ yard field goal, and an overtime pass, we would be 6-0. We might have the best front 7 in the NFL on defense. Harbaugh is the best head coach I have seen in the last 15 years for my beloved Niners. He needs to grow up a tad, but I still love the guy. Unclassy handshake, still love the guy.
We've had an extra week to prepare for this game. We've played and beaten 4 possible playoff teams already. The Browns have to travel to the West Coast for this game. The last time an East Coast team went West to play us, they lost 48-3. That team was better than the Browns imo.
All signs point to a 49er win... and possibly a blowout. I predict a win by 20 or more. Please don't hate, it's just what I see. I'll gladly come back for crow if I'm wrong. Pour it on too, because I would deserve it.
Here's to a good, injury-free game!